Photo
- - - - -

My dresser

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 Wexler

Wexler

Something wrong? Blame retrograde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 12:38 AM

I have been telling everyone about my arduous dresser journey. This thing is older than I am, and was previously painted several colors. When I started it was covered with awful bubbling peeling black paint. With the help of my mom I stripped off the paint (I hate paint stripper now), sanded it, and sanded some more, and some more, then gave it three coats of oil paint. The paint is still curing and you can see a bit of the painter's tape is still there for another coat on the inside. But for the most part I'm done. It is not perfection but I think it looks pretty good for my first big painting project!

MpoLqQ2.jpg

The open bit has a little pull-out desk in it. It used to have a door as well, but that has been lost to the ages.

HqqVTqN.jpg

My mom thought it would be fun to paint the insides of the drawers different colors :) I like it! The only problem was, we were running out of paint and I didn't want to buy more to finish the coats.

Here is a bonus... my mom spray-painted the bottom drawer purple. When I went to give it a second coat I found she sprayed over a spider's web in the corner.

RfHb08d.jpg

'Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.'

'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.'

[avatar source]

#2 ArcticWitch

ArcticWitch

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 01:37 AM

I have a tendency to let my guard down when I come to this site- but whenever I'm jolted by an image or words, I perceive myself to be adept at resuming a fair level of objectivity.

That being said, that last picture is fucking awesome.  I could stare at it for waaaaay too long.

#3 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 03:47 PM

That last pic is awesome!

The dresser is great and I LOVE your shoes!

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#4 Wexler

Wexler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 03:50 PM

Why thank you! :D

[avatar source]

#5 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Poking not recommended

• Moderators
  • 1,353 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 04:39 PM

That's a very nice looking dresser! I also like the idea of painting the insides - nice colors too! 

RSKHFMY

#6 Heks

Heks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 06:17 AM

Me too, I love what you've done! That is fantastic. I think that dresser will thank you for it! X
"One's own house, though small, is better,
For there thou art the master.
It makes a man's heart bleed to ask
for a midday meal at the house of another."

(35 Havamal, Edda)

#7 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:32 AM

Is it bad that the first thing I noticed was the shoes?! :whistling: 

Very nice though!! All of my furniture is pretty eclectic. As in it doesn't really match... :rofl: We've been fortunate enough to have been given some nice furniture here and there. Because some of the older furniture is actually of better quality than a lot of the modern mass marketed stuff, we've kept it. Solid mahogany "dinner" table (dinner in quotes bc it's really just for two people- LOL), two very unique, antique oak dressers (missing a couple of the handles, which I haven't replaced bc I can't find the ones that match the originals- and I like those better), two full dressers with a mirror, one maple one oak- both almost as old as I am!! I swear the maple one was my parents' when I was a kid! Oh and all four of them are in my room :blush:  

Then modern furniture in the living room mixed w/some interesting wall decor- my front door is curved instead of square bc my town home is so old- but I love it! You did a good job Wex! Stripping furniture is no easy task!! Did you burn your name in it or something? :wink: Just thinking of your reference to getting burned yesterday...lol

*eta- oh and a very modern bookshelf in the hallway next to two stacked (and antique looking/older) nightstands? At least I think that's what they are- We used them for books and the drawers for papers, lol

Edited by bewitchingredhead, 08 August 2014 - 08:34 AM.

I see you're getting your degree in art of the obvious~myself
Without music life would be a mistake~ Friedrich Nietzsche
Immorality: The morality of those who are having a better time~ H.L. Mencken
When nature has work to be done, she creates a genius to do it~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
We cannot teach people anything; we can only help them discover it within themselves~ Galileo

#8 Roanna

Roanna

She of the spiders and degus...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 01:36 PM

I have been telling everyone about my arduous dresser journey. This thing is older than I am, and was previously painted several colors. When I started it was covered with awful bubbling peeling black paint. With the help of my mom I stripped off the paint (I hate paint stripper now), sanded it, and sanded some more, and some more, then gave it three coats of oil paint. The paint is still curing and you can see a bit of the painter's tape is still there for another coat on the inside. But for the most part I'm done. It is not perfection but I think it looks pretty good for my first big painting project!

MpoLqQ2.jpg

The open bit has a little pull-out desk in it. It used to have a door as well, but that has been lost to the ages.

HqqVTqN.jpg

My mom thought it would be fun to paint the insides of the drawers different colors :smile: I like it! The only problem was, we were running out of paint and I didn't want to buy more to finish the coats.

Here is a bonus... my mom spray-painted the bottom drawer purple. When I went to give it a second coat I found she sprayed over a spider's web in the corner.

RfHb08d.jpg

I really like the idea of spraying spider webs (sans spider of course) to preserve them for workings and/or decoration. Spider webs can be so fragile but this would give them a stronger texture. Tell me Wexler, are you able to give it a gentle prod and feed back on how rigid it has become?

Do what you believe to be the right thing and trust yourself.

Witchpathforward My website incorporating "Ask a Witch a Question," my blog and websites of witchy interest.

#9 Wexler

Wexler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 04:58 PM

I'm afraid this particular instance is long gone. However, removing the web was somewhat difficult. It was stiff and prickly, and it did not come apart easily. I think if you started with a small cobweb, and gently detached it from its corner, then it could be preserved. If you touched it gently it would be rigid, but I believe with pressure it would be more likely to crack than bend. As soon as the spray paint dries it is rigid. This was after one coat I believe, you can see how the spray paint bubbled up on the web. I think if you were careful you could get a much more even finish, perhaps even an ombre effect if you used more than one color.

Or, you could use a clear enamel to make the web rigid without color. Now that would be pretty cool to see...

[avatar source]

#10 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:06 PM

Great dresser Wexler, and I love your ideas about the spiders webs!

Some are born to sweet delight,

Some are born to endless night.

(Fragments from "Auguries of Innocence") William Blake

#11 uncertainfuture

uncertainfuture

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:32 PM

I love to refinish furniture. My dressers and bureau in my home are all old cast-offs (two of them actually found curbside, during the citywide cleanup). When it's a cast-off you feel free to experiment with new ideas.

The different color drawers make yours so much fun!

#12 Horne

Horne

Wyrdling

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:59 PM

Love the dresser, but my attention goes out to spider webs now... got some silver and gold spray paint cans screaming for use! :wink:

“Awake becomes
what once was known,

forgetfulness is fleeting.”

#13 Anth77

Anth77

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 04:38 AM

I love the second and third images. Nice touch with the third one. Looking good so far. I like how the knobs stand out.  :clap:

#14 Wexler

Wexler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 04:17 PM

Thank you Anth :)

[avatar source]

#15 Anth77