Photo
- - - - -

My first hand made altar cloth

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
26 replies to this topic

#1 Izzie

Izzie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 03:33 PM

I'm a no-sew person, so I made this altar cloth using No Sew Fix (webbing tape). Yay!!!!

Attached Files

Know thyself means this, that you get acquainted with what you know, and what you can do.- Menander

#2 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 03:42 PM

Very nice, love that material!

Some are born to sweet delight,

Some are born to endless night.

(Fragments from "Auguries of Innocence") William Blake

#3 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 05:25 PM

Very nice.

I made curtains and throw pillows from that same design in the dark purple.   I love it!

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#4 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 05:55 PM

I love that stuff Izzie!! I use it all the time! Really comes in handy!

I love it btw- is there a design on it? I can't tell from my tablet. It looks like velour? Where'd you get the fabric? I have a plain black velour one that I haven't hemmed yet, lol!! I just toss it on my altar (well the one I use in the living room/portable one, not the main one in my bedroom).

I see you're getting your degree in art of the obvious~myself
Without music life would be a mistake~ Friedrich Nietzsche
Immorality: The morality of those who are having a better time~ H.L. Mencken
When nature has work to be done, she creates a genius to do it~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
We cannot teach people anything; we can only help them discover it within themselves~ Galileo

#5 Izzie

Izzie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:19 PM

I got the fabric from Walmart, and it's like a black tie dye with gold speckles on one side & plain tie dye on the other. It's 100% cotton so it should be easy to care for. I've got some extra material, so I was thinking of making a pillow or cover for my crystal ball.
Know thyself means this, that you get acquainted with what you know, and what you can do.- Menander

#6 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:14 PM

Is it fire-retardant material?  I work on stone now...  Don't ask... heehee.

The difference between Medicine and Poison is the Dose. :oil-bottle:
I Love you as certain Dark Things are to be Loved,
In Secret, Between the Shadow and the Soul.
- Pablo Neruda

#7 Izzie

Izzie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:41 PM

Is it fire-retardant material?  I work on stone now...  Don't ask... heehee.

I actually thought about that :)

I was burning paper once and it got a little out of control... I got cast iron shortly after that.

#8 RoseRed

RoseRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 01:31 AM

It's nice to know I'm not the only one that's had 'accidents' in the house.

#9 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 01:48 AM

Izzie.. Listen to those wise voices next time !!! They are trying to protect you...lol.  :blobfire:

ps - that no-sew tape, I have a pack called Stitch Witchery.. cute, huh?

Edited by Nikki, 01 August 2014 - 01:50 AM.

The difference between Medicine and Poison is the Dose. :oil-bottle:
I Love you as certain Dark Things are to be Loved,
In Secret, Between the Shadow and the Soul.
- Pablo Neruda

#10 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 09:17 AM

I initially discovered it making bows for my daughter's cheerleading teams (she did competitive cheer for a while). I've always used "hem" tape aka double sided sticky tape bc I'm 4'11'' and it has saved my life on so many occasions for a multitude of clothing related reasons. This tape though is quite different- much more adhesive!! 

I can see the pic better now Izzie since I'm on computer- Very pretty!!

I see you're getting your degree in art of the obvious~myself
Without music life would be a mistake~ Friedrich Nietzsche
Immorality: The morality of those who are having a better time~ H.L. Mencken
When nature has work to be done, she creates a genius to do it~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
We cannot teach people anything; we can only help them discover it within themselves~ Galileo

#11 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 12:30 PM

I thought those little 'accidents' where just part and parcel of our craft! I work on a stone altar as well, and keep a big jug of water near by! :cauldron:

Some are born to sweet delight,

Some are born to endless night.

(Fragments from "Auguries of Innocence") William Blake

#12 RoseRed

RoseRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 02:01 PM

Just don't ever throw it on a burning puddle of melted candlewax.  You could set the whole living room on fire.  Wax floats.  (I grabbed the giant box of baking soda - someone else grabbed a pot of water). 

I have some Stitch Witchery as well.  It's a royal bitch to try to sew through it after you use it.

I got my purple fabric like that at Walmart, too.

You did a beautiful job.

#13 Izzie

Izzie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 02:27 PM

Izzie.. Listen to those wise voices next time !!! They are trying to protect you...lol. :blobfire:

ps - that no-sew tape, I have a pack called Stitch Witchery.. cute, huh?

That is pretty cool :) I do need to listen more. I thinks it's an issue of quieting the mind for me :)

#14 Izzie

Izzie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 02:28 PM

Just don't ever throw it on a burning puddle of melted candlewax. You could set the whole living room on fire. Wax floats. (I grabbed the giant box of baking soda - someone else grabbed a pot of water).

I have some Stitch Witchery as well. It's a royal bitch to try to sew through it after you use it.

I got my purple fabric like that at Walmart, too.

You did a beautiful job.

Thank you!

#15 Izzie

Izzie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 02:30 PM

I thought those little 'accidents' where just part and parcel of our craft! I work on a stone altar as well, and keep a big jug of water near by! :cauldron:

Baking soda is great to keep for emergency purposes. A lot of these candles have some type of petroleum in them, so throwing water might make it worse.

#16 Izzie

Izzie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 02:31 PM

I initially discovered it making bows for my daughter's cheerleading teams (she did competitive cheer for a while). I've always used "hem" tape aka double sided sticky tape bc I'm 4'11'' and it has saved my life on so many occasions for a multitude of clothing related reasons. This tape though is quite different- much more adhesive!!

I can see the pic better now Izzie since I'm on computer- Very pretty!!

Thank you :)

#17 RoseRed

RoseRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 02:35 PM

Baking soda is great to keep for emergency purposes. A lot of these candles have some type of petroleum in them, so throwing water might make it worse.

LOL - there's no might or maybe.

I never knew that the wax itself could burn but it does.  Wherever the water flows - the burning fire floats along right above it.  Including down thru the floorboards and into the basement.

#18 Izzie

Izzie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 03:10 PM

LOL - there's no might or maybe.

I never knew that the wax itself could burn but it does. Wherever the water flows - the burning fire floats along right above it. Including down thru the floorboards and into the basement.

Oh my, hope it wasn't too bad!

#19 RoseRed

RoseRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 03:11 PM

It wasn't and there would've been less damage if the moron didn't throw water on it.  It was 3 tapers so there wasn't as much wax as there could have been had I been using larger candles.  The worst part was cleaning up the mess from the smoke.

#20 Raineylane

Raineylane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 04:02 PM

Izzie, that is beautiful!

Haha, I found Stitch Witchery way back in the late 70s, about the same time I started practicing the craft.  I thought it was a "sign", lol!  Made some entire dresses out of that stuff!

Yes, wax itself can catch on fire and burn even without throwing water on it.  Had it happen to me once.  Fortunately it was one of those huge  citronella candles in a cute tin pail, sitting outside on the deck when it decided to turn into an inferno!  Thank goodness we were doing some construction and had just hauled in a load of sand, into which we threw the burning bucket.

After seeing that, I have never left a candle burning on, in or nearly anything flammable.