Magick "type" help

NiamhMorganaAstra

Ok, long story short. I was honoring the ancestors Sunday, come to find my sister in law is ALLERGIC to the incense I use. This got me to thinking about her health (obviously) and magick "types". I know candles have an "unscented" option. But, if I wanted to do other types of magick, the only other ones I can think of are:

Knot magick

Poppet magick

I know that there are other types I can use, that won't (hopefully) make my sister in law have an allergic reaction. But, I can't think of any. Help a fellow crafter out...Please?

Guest monsnoleedra

Some people use card magics where the meaning of a tarot card, most often but not always, is used to launch a spell.  A regular deck of cards can be used as well if you've got the equations, sort of like how suicide Jacks mean difficulty and failure before a situation.  There is no scent involved with any part of the process.

A poppet is a base form of a construct so you could also use other construct forms such as simple golems for magical purposes.  A pile of rock / stone with certain sigils, runes, engravings, etc can be turned into all sorts of guardians or housing for servitors.

String magics in the forms of glyphs and wardings is very similar to knot magics but are weaved into a persons cloths, blankets, or such items.  It falls into many Granny or Folk type practices and are often hidden.  Fertility patterns can also be incorporated into designs as can faithfulness markings.

Those are off the top of my head but even many items can be washed of their scent and used without having a scent factor.

I am curious though does your sister-in-law aide in your magical endeavors?  Seems if she does she'd be able to tell you what scents and odors set her asthma off so you can prepare or adjust your workings.

Thanks Nikki, I'll look at them now. I wasn't logged in when you wrote in the shout box :)

Monsnoleedra, As far as I know she is wiccan, and doesn't even know what scents to avoid until she starts itching or having a reaction. Thank you for your suggestions as well, I will definitely look into them, as  I have never used glyphs and wardings.

Guest monsnoleedra

Thanks Nikki, I'll look at them now. I wasn't logged in when you wrote in the shout box :smile:

Monsnoleedra, As far as I know she is wiccan, and doesn't even know what scents to avoid until she starts itching or having a reaction. Thank you for your suggestions as well, I will definitely look into them, as  I have never used glyphs and wardings.

That does make it harder if she doesn't know her triggers until it occurs.  I get taken out by many perfumes that have a heavy base, they ignite my asthma something awful.  I say ignite because its never subtle but like an explosion in my chest.  What's strange is that scents of flowers will trip me but scents of many fruits do not.

Do you use transformation as part of your magical workings?  For most people burning seems to be the biggest transformation / transmutation method.  If so perhaps you could prepare things without her then use transformation / transmutation via some action to initiate the spell and have her present at those functions.  The scent issue maybe reduced by having other scents or stimulus present that counters it.

Something else to consider, is it an air born allergy or a touch allergy?  You say she itches so it might be some residual aspect touching her skin that causes it vice an aromatic aspect that triggers it.  So wearing gloves or something else might prevent that.  I know things like the poison oaks, ivy, sumac's break me out when I use them so I have to wear protective clothing to work with them.  Inversely somethings like mints can leave such a strong marking on the skin you have to wear protection for those as well.

Granted that doesn't counter how some people can wear something and it does nothing yet another person wear the same thing and their chemistry causes all sorts of allergy issues for another.

One other thing you might consider is what I call smear magics.  You take some item and smear it upon paper, cloth, whatever to include its energy and essence in your working.  Many times the oil, juice, sap, etc is minor enough that you can smear it but not enough to cause you issues.  Sort of take an apple and rub the fruit upon the page, cloth to gain its properties but you don't use the actual fruit itself, other than maybe an offering to local spirits to aid your action.

Not sure how being Wiccan matters except to the degree she adheres to the Wiccan Rede and Three Fold Laws.  Especially the harm none aspect as I've seen some who take that to the extreme in definition of the though. 

Guest monsnoleedra

Something else to consider is sourdough type figures that can be made fairly easy.  You can use them as poppets or other dolls but also as targets or houses for pulling things out and capturing before disposing of what ever it was directed against.

Sigil magick 

Talismans

Amulets 

Sympathetic magick- Using personal fluids, pictures, papers, plant materials, herbs (providing you're not allergic to them), cloth, etc.- similar to how you would work poppet magick.

Runes

Candle magick

Sex magick :naughty:

crystals/gems (similar to enchantments you might do for an amulet). Like I have a charged piece of jade and amethyst in my pillow case for different purposes.

Monsno made a good point to try to determine if it's airborn related or just physical touch that causes the allergic reactions. From the sound of it, possibly both? Although I see you mentioned fragrances, is it just the smell once you light it or does she actually touch the incense? Do you know if she's truly allergic or just has a reaction to it like an irritating contact dermatitis? A true allergy results in the offending allergen causing your body to make antibodies bc the body perceives the offending allergen to be harmful to the immune system, even though it's normally not. There's a difference between an actual allergy verses say, an irritant- like irritating contact dermatitis (as opposed to allergic contact dermatitis) where the skin is irritated from a certain ingredient, but doesn't cause nearly the same problems as a true allergen, nor does your body actually produce the antibodies. 

The symptoms are very similar, but the reactions are not w/a true allergy. The only real defense to a true allergy is avoiding exposure. Of course this is virtually impossible for most air born allergies like dust. Medication helps but never completely alleviates the symptoms (trust me when someone find a cure I'd climax continuously for years- mine are absolutely horrid :sad:  

Has she been tested for allergies? That's a pretty quick and good idea for her so she'd have some knowledge as to what she should avoid. Allergy shots helped my husband quite a bit, but not me. I do have a couple of questions for you- is it only when she smells it that it irritates her or does she touch it and then suffers from a reaction? What type of incense do you burn (resins, actual herbs, cones, sticks, etc)? I ask bc perhaps it's possible to help you figure out a way to still burn incense depending on what type you use. If you only burn resins for example, you could burn actual herbs instead. If it's mass manufactured incense, perhaps it's just the fragrance they use that causes the reaction. If you use only resins, is it always the same type or do you vary it? Again, perhaps you could isolate the specific offenders by process of elimination. 

*eta- "true allergies" only occur in approx 20-30% of the population depending on your source (i.e. medical journals). So statistically there's a mild-moderate probability she could, but there's a higher probability she won't. Hopefully it's the former not the latter huh?

Just off the top of my head:  container magic, photo magic, doll magic.

I don't find it necessary to use incense in all my workings.  In fact there are times when I cannot use incense, so I just don't.

I doubt incense was always readily available in the past.

Why not try doing a simple spell, one where you would normally use incense, and cast without the incense and see how it goes.

Edited to add:  You may want to check out Hoodoo or Granny Magic.  I don't recall a lot of incense, if any, used in those.

I don't find it necessary to use incense in all my workings.  In fact there are times when I cannot use incense, so I just don't.

Why not try doing a simple spell, one where you would normally use incense, and cast without the incense and see how it goes.

Edited to add:  You may want to check out Hoodoo or Granny Magic.  I don't recall a lot of incense, if any, used in those.

A fair amount of Hoodoo uses it, not all of it but a decent amount. But I think most types of sympathetic magic doesn't require much to my knowledge. I don't use incense for all of my workings either bc it does have a tendency to irritate me and especially my husband. I try to use it outside if I can. 

Tell me more of this photo magick, I believe I get the basic gist. But, its better to be safe, than sorry. 

Tell me more of this photo magick, I believe I get the basic gist. But, its better to be safe, than sorry. 

Similar to poppet magic.

Similar to poppet magic.

I find the internet very handy for this these days. Pretty much everyone has a picture of themselves published somewhere if you look hard enough. And when someone has irriated me enough to want to obtain a picture for nefarious purposes then generally it goes hand in hand with having the patience to look hard enough.

Not only themselves - you can find pictures of their homes, pets, friends, family, et cetera-- people provide a LOT of useful info ripe for the picking.

Ok, long story short. I was honoring the ancestors Sunday, come to find my sister in law is ALLERGIC to the incense I use. This got me to thinking about her health (obviously) and magick "types". I know candles have an "unscented" option. But, if I wanted to do other types of magick, the only other ones I can think of are:

Knot magick

Poppet magick

I know that there are other types I can use, that won't (hopefully) make my sister in law have an allergic reaction. But, I can't think of any. Help a fellow crafter out...Please?

If you're just honoring and not necessarily doing anything that requires ingredients (of which a candle is one) then just talking to them does that, imo. Upholding their values, honor, ethics, etc., does that. 

If you're looking for ingredients that you or someone else is not allergic to, then just find out what you can't use and use what you can use that doesn't aggravate the allergy. (I will on occasion use a candle, but due to cats I don't often use open flame and there are lots of options.)

What are you using the candle for? Change the usage... If it's for light or the representation of light, then you can use battery candles or even light bulbs. If you're using flame to transform something, then you will need to stick with actual flame. If you're using smoke and/or air as a delivery system, then change delivery systems (or use another way of putting your working "into" air, so to speak). Or use a different mode of delivery (sight, sound, water, contact, spirit, etc.).

Archived