33 replies to this topic

#1 DusterGalaxy

DusterGalaxy

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 08:27 PM

I've been reading Tarot cards for seven years and have collected three different Tarot decks, so my question pertains mostly to Tarot but really can be applied to any divination tool.  I have a huge problem with storing this things, and I know that storage is important to the energy they store.  Two of my decks don't even have a box, which pains me to say!  I have them bound with a hair tie.  I have no designated space for any of my witchy items (to be honest, my cards are the only ones at the moment!), so they often get moved from desk, to bookshelf, to bedside table...I live in a house with roommates, so storing them in a common area isn't a great idea, although they are all into magical things as well.  

Does anyone else have/had a problem with storing their tools?  If so how did you fix it?

#2 Wexler

Wexler

Something wrong? Blame retrograde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 10:08 PM

Sounds a bit like a general organization problem to me. I also have issues with storing some of my things; I have very small storage space and I cannot be obvious about most of my things. It has forced me to get creative. I had to overhaul my room (still in progress actually) and add extra storage such as hooks in the walls.

One of the problems I had was that I had a collection of witchy items that I never used. I just knew I would want them in the future. My solution is to put these in long-term storage and not bother having them on hand. This has given me a lot more free space to store the things I actually work with on a regular basis.

Have you noticed a difference in how well your cards read, depending on how they are kept? I have read they are best kept stored in specific ways but I haven't experimented to learn that for myself yet. If you don't see a change, it may not matter for you how they are stored.

If you are at all handy, you can build a personalized box for them. If you have tools around, nailing together a small wooden box may be the cheapest option. Or you can wrap them in silk and keep them in a bag, which is common. I keep mine held together with rubber bands laying around somewhere in my closet. Although to be honest I think they would prefer more respectful treatment.

In any case, I have found it pretty difficult to just wedge magic in to my life, including the tools and ingredients I have around. I think that to solve this problem, upheaving your life a bit and resettling it to make room for magic helps a great deal. Tarot cards are not especially hefty tools; I realized that if I couldn't find a place for such simple and small things, I couldn't probably fit much magic in either. It is a continuous process for me to re-order my life (physically and mentally) in order to make room for magic.

'Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.'

'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.'

[avatar source]

#3 DusterGalaxy

DusterGalaxy

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 10:27 PM

Sounds a bit like a general organization problem to me. I also have issues with storing some of my things; I have very small storage space and I cannot be obvious about most of my things. It has forced me to get creative. I had to overhaul my room (still in progress actually) and add extra storage such as hooks in the walls.

One of the problems I had was that I had a collection of witchy items that I never used. I just knew I would want them in the future. My solution is to put these in long-term storage and not bother having them on hand. This has given me a lot more free space to store the things I actually work with on a regular basis.

Have you noticed a difference in how well your cards read, depending on how they are kept? I have read they are best kept stored in specific ways but I haven't experimented to learn that for myself yet. If you don't see a change, it may not matter for you how they are stored.

If you are at all handy, you can build a personalized box for them. If you have tools around, nailing together a small wooden box may be the cheapest option. Or you can wrap them in silk and keep them in a bag, which is common. I keep mine held together with rubber bands laying around somewhere in my closet. Although to be honest I think they would prefer more respectful treatment.

In any case, I have found it pretty difficult to just wedge magic in to my life, including the tools and ingredients I have around. I think that to solve this problem, upheaving your life a bit and resettling it to make room for magic helps a great deal. Tarot cards are not especially hefty tools; I realized that if I couldn't find a place for such simple and small things, I couldn't probably fit much magic in either. It is a continuous process for me to re-order my life (physically and mentally) in order to make room for magic.

Yeah, organization is a huge issue for me.  I'm planning on overhauling my room as well in the next six weeks or so, I'll be moving so it'll have to happen regardless!  I'm going back to college so I'm going to need to get organized on all levels.  I'll have to work something into that for my magical stuff as well.

I do notice a slight difference in readings from the different cards.  The most recent set I bought was just the Major Arcana with some really nice renaissance designs.  It came in a pretty nice box, and I've managed to keep that one safe on my bookshelf.  I notice it has a better "energy" than the ones lying out the in open.  I like the box idea, but I'm not at all handy so I'll have to head to Target!  Thanks for the help :)

#4 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 02:48 PM

At the moment, half of my stuff is packed in boxes.  My important things are out.

My tarot cards are in their cardboard box sitting in a basket on my nightstand.  They need a better home than that.

At some point, if life ever slows down, I want to crochet a case for them in thread.  I'm not sure what color yet but I'm leaning towards red or black with a solid design.  Once the design 'hits' me - I'll get it done in a few days.

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#5 DusterGalaxy

DusterGalaxy

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 03:56 PM

I like that idea too!  I don't crochet, but I do knit (I feel like I'm the only 22 year old who knits!).  

#6 Wexler

Wexler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 04:09 PM

I like that idea too!  I don't crochet, but I do knit (I feel like I'm the only 22 year old who knits!).  

Hey, I am a 22yo who knits :D

Or rather, I know how to knit and sometimes I still pretend that I will eat through my mountain of yard with fabulous knitting projects.

[avatar source]

#7 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:49 PM

Do you have a craft store like Michaels where you live? I got these really cute boxes that have designs on them to look pretty, but they're still boxes. However, no one would give it a second look and think you have your magic items stored in it. Also, go to a fabric store and buy a yard or so (more or less depending on how much you need) of a natural type of fabric (cotton, flannel, silk, muslin, etc.) and either sew a bag for you cards or other items or just simply wrap them in it. 

See the boxes can look like a piece of luggage, a book, a decorative box, etc. that doesn't scream "witch" ;)

l.jpg

books.jpg

I see you're getting your degree in art of the obvious~myself
Without music life would be a mistake~ Friedrich Nietzsche
Immorality: The morality of those who are having a better time~ H.L. Mencken
When nature has work to be done, she creates a genius to do it~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
We cannot teach people anything; we can only help them discover it within themselves~ Galileo

#8 DusterGalaxy

DusterGalaxy

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 10:09 PM

Hey, I am a 22yo who knits :biggrin:

Or rather, I know how to knit and sometimes I still pretend that I will eat through my mountain of yard with fabulous knitting projects.

Same, they're all sitting in my closet halfway done!  It gives me mad carpal tunnel  :sad:

bewitchingredhead - I didn't even think of that!!  I go into Michaels often just to kill some time, I see those boxes but that never occurred to me!  This is why I have all these organization problems... haha.  I will definitely use some fabric as well, I feel like a good fabric will "charge" it even more.

#9 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 10:27 PM

Same, they're all sitting in my closet halfway done!  It gives me mad carpal tunnel  :sad:

bewitchingredhead - I didn't even think of that!!  I go into Michaels often just to kill some time, I see those boxes but that never occurred to me!  This is why I have all these organization problems... haha.  I will definitely use some fabric as well, I feel like a good fabric will "charge" it even more.

This is another storage box

http://cultivatingtr...1/promises3.jpg

Or a small drawer like this one. This one has a shelf and drawer so you could theoretically use it as a makeshift altar. It's usually about $20 at Michaels (though it looks like they're out of it online at the moment)

http://www.michaels....f/10434041.html

When nature has work to be done, she creates a genius to do it~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
We cannot teach people anything; we can only help them discover it within themselves~ Galileo

#10 Wexler

Wexler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 11:24 PM

Perhaps you could ask your decks how they would most prefer to be stored.

[avatar source]

#11 DusterGalaxy

DusterGalaxy

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 02:02 AM

This is another storage box

http://cultivatingtr...1/promises3.jpg

Or a small drawer like this one. This one has a shelf and drawer so you could theoretically use it as a makeshift altar. It's usually about $20 at Michaels (though it looks like they're out of it online at the moment)

http://www.michaels....f/10434041.html

I'm loving the "book boxes" , I'm a huge book lover!  They'd look right at home on my bookshelf.  I would get a drawer, but between all of my clothing and the way I plan to organize for school, I think my room would be The Container Store in microcosm! 

Perhaps you could ask your decks how they would most prefer to be stored.

I'll give that a try too, but something tells me they'd like those book boxes, haha.

#12 Guest_monsnoleedra_*

Guest_monsnoleedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2014 - 02:12 AM

DusterGalaxy,  Curious the decks you have with no covers were they experienced decks you got from another or purchased new by you?  The reason I ask is I had a Rider Waite deck I purchased and within like a week the box was shredded and torn away.  That particular deck always demanded it be in the open and un-boxed.  Any covering I placed it in ended up badly torn or shredded within a few days.  I eventually gave it away to another person and for them it rested quietly in a box but for me it refused to do so. 

#13 DusterGalaxy

DusterGalaxy

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 04:32 AM

DusterGalaxy,  Curious the decks you have with no covers were they experienced decks you got from another or purchased new by you?  The reason I ask is I had a Rider Waite deck I purchased and within like a week the box was shredded and torn away.  That particular deck always demanded it be in the open and un-boxed.  Any covering I placed it in ended up badly torn or shredded within a few days.  I eventually gave it away to another person and for them it rested quietly in a box but for me it refused to do so. 

That's crazy how the box never lasted you!  It's weird how they send us "messages" like that.  I thought I was going insane when I felt like the cards "call" to me to do a reading on this or that.

My first deck was given to me by my friend's mother, however I didn't find that it really *clicked* with me.  The cards are hard to shuffle, very slippery, and I don't connect much to the images (they're very simple).  I found my readings with this one were inaccurate the majority of the time.  I passed those along to my friend since I've made this topic.  Hopefully they work better for her, I'm interested in seeing how that turns out.

My second deck I got when I was 18 and that one really stuck with me, I believe it is a Rider Waite deck as well (as was the first, but much smaller card format).  This one did originally come with a box, but it's long gone at this point!  I'm not sure how I've managed to keep the deck completely intact through all my moving around!  

My Marseilles deck is my absolute favourite and is my least concern to store.  It came with a box and book and I've just slipped that onto my bookshelf and kept them safe.  It's just the Major Arcana but I really dig it, the pictures are beautiful and it just has that "feel", if you know what I mean!  

It does seem as though the deck I've had difficulty with was the one that had belonged to another person first.  There must have been some "energy residue", or maybe it just wasn't the right deck for me... regardless, it got me into Tarot and taught me the basics!

#14 Wexler

Wexler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 05:19 AM

I thought I was going insane when I felt like the cards "call" to me to do a reading on this or that.

Feeling as if you are going insane is apparently one of the many exciting perks of witchcraft. In my opinion, it means you are probably doing it right.

[avatar source]

#15 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:14 AM

I'm loving the "book boxes" , I'm a huge book lover!  They'd look right at home on my bookshelf.  I would get a drawer, but between all of my clothing and the way I plan to organize for school, I think my room would be The Container Store in microcosm! 

I'll give that a try too, but something tells me they'd like those book boxes, haha.

I thought it was brilliant when I first saw them!! I totally got one for holding some of my supplies (especially helpful when taking them outside to work) and my only regret was not getting a larger to begin with! Neat way to hide stuff from nosy people huh? Perfect for a witch who needs a bit of discreetness.. :wink:

Feeling as if you are going insane is apparently one of the many exciting perks of witchcraft. In my opinion, it means you are probably doing it right.

Lordy I must be awesome then :roflhard: 

#16 DusterGalaxy

DusterGalaxy

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 05:10 PM

Excellent!  I question my sanity all the time - apparently if you're wondering if you might be insane, you're completely sane!  Actual crazy people think everyone ELSE is the crazy one!  Gives me a bit of peace  :vhappywitch:

I thought it was brilliant when I first saw them!! I totally got one for holding some of my supplies (especially helpful when taking them outside to work) and my only regret was not getting a larger to begin with! Neat way to hide stuff from nosy people huh? Perfect for a witch who needs a bit of discreetness.. :wink:

Lordy I must be awesome then :roflhard: 

I'm definitely big on discreetness, I'm a super private person! I even hate it when my music on my iPhone is too loud and others can hear...gives me the willies for some reason.  I always seem to rent from incredibly Christian landlords too, so not having my stuff all lying around is a good thing.  I have a black cat (not for any magical reason, the shelter just had tons of black kittens and she was so pretty!) and he wanted her gone because he is afraid of them.  Fortunately the law is on my side with that one.  Imagine if he saw my Tarot cards out!  

#17 Wexler

Wexler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 06:32 PM

Michaels also has those unpainted wooden boxes if you like to paint your own :) I find nifty storage boxes at thrift stores as well. In fact my most loved tools I found at Goodwill. Although suddenly I am remembering that I some spellcraft to find useful tools may be involved (if only I had written it down... lol).

Anyway, if you get boxes to store your stuff you can also spell them for extra protection or to keep people out. Like, you could work with your tarot boxes to make sure they are always out of sight when the landlord comes to visit.

[avatar source]

#18 DusterGalaxy

DusterGalaxy

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 01:11 AM

Michaels also has those unpainted wooden boxes if you like to paint your own :smile: I find nifty storage boxes at thrift stores as well. In fact my most loved tools I found at Goodwill. Although suddenly I am remembering that I some spellcraft to find useful tools may be involved (if only I had written it down... lol).

Anyway, if you get boxes to store your stuff you can also spell them for extra protection or to keep people out. Like, you could work with your tarot boxes to make sure they are always out of sight when the landlord comes to visit.

Do you have any recommendations for spells?  I have a few things that need protecting from this guy.... hahaha.

#19 Wexler

Wexler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 01:58 AM

Do you have any recommendations for spells?  I have a few things that need protecting from this guy.... hahaha.

It's hard to say, I prefer to be very specific.

I have also started on a glass of wine, so go easy on me here :P

If I had a nosy landlord, I would go for a style of protection that is more ignore/invisibility than "back off". Your landlord sounds a little jumpy so any protection that is aggressive could make him feel uncomfortable and that could rustle up more trouble.

I would use imagery like Cover, Disguise, Ignore, and Boring, as opposed to imagery like Secret, Hidden, Off Limits, or Back Off.

I'd combine magic with a lot of mundane covering up. Like there are cute methods for creating your own book covers out of wrapping paper that you could use to cover all of your 'inappropriate' stuff. Personally the covers on most modern magic/pagan books make my eyes roll out of my heads so I like this solution. You can modify some props like candleholders with decorations that are charmed to say "I'm a hipster candle holder from Pinterest, nothing to see here!" as opposed to, "hey, this chick has way too many candles, isn't that odd." (Personally, I think that 'Pinterest culture' is an amazing excuse to start collecting tons of unusual trinkets and redecorating). Items that really can't be disguised, like pagan symbols or tarot cards, can all be kept in a box that is enchanted to discourage people from opening it (also, hardware stores sell locks that can save on a boatload of magic). If some of the containers really fancy, I might go with a "this is too delicate to touch" vibe. You could knit/weave/crochet/sew a tie to wrap around closet or cabinet doorhandles so people don't want to touch it or open it. For this, I like a "opening that door is too much trouble for me" vibe.

The way I would approach it is to recover/reupholster everything so there are no titles like WAY OF THE WITCH accidentally sticking out of my bookshelf, then find a real organized home for everything (I might go as far as to magically "stick" the items to their home if I was always losing them). For items that I had out and on hand regularly such as a journal or tarot decks, or things that can't be kept in cabinets, I would further enchant the container or it's home to look very common and normal, and to make people think, "eh, whatever, that's not interesting to me at all." If I was feeling sneaky I would run counter intel by making some items extremely interesting so that a person is likely to focus on that to the exclusion of everything else.

I'd also have a long talk with my things and my room and explain to them exactly who and who not is welcome. I would talk to containers or closets and tell them who is not welcome to look inside. I would tell magical items who they need to hide from.

I think part of the reason I have started cleaning so much since I started the path is that a messy room makes me paranoid something 'witchy' is out when people visit. So a good clean-up combined with instructing the room works really well for me :)

I'm not sure what you are looking for but I hope this helps!

[avatar source]

#20 DusterGalaxy

DusterGalaxy

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:10 AM

It definitely helps, thanks!  I moreso may need to use it for my next place, not sure how the new roommate will feel about all the magic business.  But I keep to myself quite a bit so that helps me a lot.  Now I just need to wait for my paycheque so I can get some supplies  :pinch: