23 replies to this topic

#21 Wexler

Wexler

Something wrong? Blame retrograde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:41 PM

And I'm over here thinking of the 10 Fast Food Places I Could Go For Lunch.

'Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.'

'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.'

[avatar source]

#22 ArcticWitch

ArcticWitch

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 07:50 PM

Can  you give an example?   Please.  I'm trying to understand this but I could use a visual.

The ways that I imbue and cast are similar to each other  when I cook.  I think we're doing things differently (in the kitchen) than each other and I'd love to hear more if you're willing.

There was mention, either on a thread or in the chat room, about the hierarchy of baneful workings: a jinx being the mildest, a hex being moderate, and a curse being the most powerful.  I'm unaware of a similar system established/accepted for quantifying non-baneful workings, but my intuition tells me that there is indeed a distinction between a simple imbuing and a semi-ritualistic spell-casting in the matters of food and cookery.

If I want to imbue the food with certain feelings meant to enhance the diners' experience in my home (positive or negative, depending on how I feel about them), I simply raise a teensy bit of energy and focus the simple intent/emotion through myself, through the spoon, and into the pot.  Usually when I feed a crowd, it's something like jambalaya or chowder, which is a bit easier to imbue than six individual packets of salmon en papillote...but more on that later.  The intent- if you can even call it that- is just meant to be a very fleeting influence (a way for me to communicate/convey my essence to them, I guess?), lasting as long as it takes the diner to eat.  [Tangent observation: although there are zero elements of a 'reveal spell' in my imbuing, this summer I've noticed that I can gauge diners' emotional and psychological well-being based on how much they eat and how they react to the food.  Humans are delightfully obvious in their reactions to when a void inside- whether they were aware of it or not- is being filled.  Yo-yo dieters with a horrible body image don't stand a chance at my place.]

However, if I want to actually cast a spell with the food, I go about things differently.  I probably don't have to use a different amethod than a simple imbuing, but it's become habit at this point.  I'll go out of my way to use spices and herbs (the latter of which may or may not be a proper culinary herb ;) ) that I associate with the intent of my working.  If the situation that I'm trying to remedy seems to call for it, I'll go so far as to write down a spell to be verbally delivered while spelling the pot.  Every time, however, I use my favorite wooden spoon to draw my personal sigil into the food if it's a gooey food, like soup or casserole, or will use the same spoon and draw the sigil in the air over the meal after it's cooked but before it's served (i.e.- a roasted chicken).  The reason I differentiate imbuing versus spelling is because casting a spell is intended to influence much more than the diner's mood only during the meal.  I may cast a spell of relaxation in the food for a visitor who moans about the need to rest and recharge for the weekend.  I've spelled my partner's food many times to relieve him of work-related aches and pains.  I spelled my alcoholic mother-in-law's first meal during her extended stay this summer so she wouldn't feel the need to drink whiskey while on my property; the spell worked perfectly.

When working a baneful spell with food, though, I serve the food restaurant-style (plating the food for my diners) and will do the baneful spell on the individual bowl/plate for my target (still using the sigil technique).  That technique hasn't failed in my limited experience.

I have no idea if my technique is "proper" or not- I haven't really studied kitchen witchery, instead favoring personal experimentation and observation of results.

#23 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:24 AM

I am seriously undereducated in kitchen witchery.

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#24 Belwenda

Belwenda

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 04:28 PM

Me too- what good ideas!

"For there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so" W.S.