71 replies to this topic

#41 Wexler

Wexler

Something wrong? Blame retrograde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:11 PM

I must admit I do not keep a proper record a lot of the time. Some times I will write stuff down on a scrap piece of paper, and it's not because I lack journals. So I end up wasting time looking for little bits of paper, usually in my bag that is like a bottomless pit. Then when I find it, I have to rewrite it into a journal anyway, and that's if it is still legible and not torn to shreds. Lately I've been working on putting all my writings on my computer usb as well. Grrrr. 

Another benefit of having an "ugly" journal - a couple of days ago I was inspired to write but I didn't have my journal with me, so I used normal binder paper. Later I just cut the binder paper down to size and pasted it in to my journal - no rewriting necessary!

'Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.'

'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.'

[avatar source]

#42 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 04:23 AM

I've seen 8 hour long binaural recordings.  Check out iDozer.com

Sleep problems suck and who knows - maybe it could help

I love binaural beats!!! They do indeed help. Is it free? I've heard of them before; can't remember if it was from a YouTube video of the music or a phone APP.

I see you're getting your degree in art of the obvious~myself
Without music life would be a mistake~ Friedrich Nietzsche
Immorality: The morality of those who are having a better time~ H.L. Mencken
When nature has work to be done, she creates a genius to do it~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
We cannot teach people anything; we can only help them discover it within themselves~ Galileo

#43 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 04:31 AM

I must admit I do not keep a proper record a lot of the time. Some times I will write stuff down on a scrap piece of paper, and it's not because I lack journals. So I end up wasting time looking for little bits of paper, usually in my bag that is like a bottomless pit. Then when I find it, I have to rewrite it into a journal anyway, and that's if it is still legible and not torn to shreds. Lately I've been working on putting all my writings on my computer usb as well. Grrrr. 

Lol- happens to me a lot too! I mentioned it earlier in the thread. It wouldn't be too big a deal I managed to transfer them to my BOS, but the times I don't? Same here...I'm running around like a chicken w/it's head cut off to try to find it!! 

*eta, sorry I didn't use the multi quote feature. I'm still half asleep. I actually woke up bc I remembered I had a bill to pay online and of course this is all cached in my browser. Also please forgive and typos and/or grammatical errors- keep an eye out for me RR :wink:

Edited by bewitchingredhead, 25 July 2014 - 04:32 AM.

When nature has work to be done, she creates a genius to do it~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
We cannot teach people anything; we can only help them discover it within themselves~ Galileo

#44 SerpentWitch

SerpentWitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 10:03 AM

I'm really bad at keeping notes. It's something I need to learn and need help with.

Posted ImageWalking in Darkness

#45 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 11:21 AM

I love binaural beats!!! They do indeed help. Is it free? I've heard of them before; can't remember if it was from a YouTube video of the music or a phone APP.

I have seen this on youtube for free, also there is an sleep ap for android that has the binaural beats as well. I tried it, it doesn’t help me sleep, but its good for zoning out. On the other hand, yesterday  I played some music from youtube that was supposed to be relaxing nature music for cats, the cat mellowed right out and I fell fast asleep! I'll have to try it again and see if it was a fluke!

Some are born to sweet delight,

Some are born to endless night.

(Fragments from "Auguries of Innocence") William Blake

#46 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 12:12 PM

*eta, sorry I didn't use the multi quote feature. I'm still half asleep. I actually woke up bc I remembered I had a bill to pay online and of course this is all cached in my browser. Also please forgive and typos and/or grammatical errors- keep an eye out for me RR :wink:

huh?

I don't youtube so I don't know what's there.  The 8 hour sleep ones aren't free - at least I don't remember seeing any that were. 

I gotta get good headphones.  I lost those in the divorce. 

iDozer has quality stuff - that's the only site that I'll purchase from without a recommendation from someone I know.  When I first got into them I came across a lot of crap.

I have no idea what it would cost.  If it helps you sleep it might be worth it.  Or someone could've scalped it and put it on youtube - if it's high quality - ya know.

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#47 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 12:44 PM

Another benefit of having an "ugly" journal - a couple of days ago I was inspired to write but I didn't have my journal with me, so I used normal binder paper. Later I just cut the binder paper down to size and pasted it in to my journal - no rewriting necessary!

Thanks Wexler, I like this. I have done on occasion as well when the paper is not too messed up. Works great for illustrations.

Some are born to sweet delight,

Some are born to endless night.

(Fragments from "Auguries of Innocence") William Blake

#48 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,826 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 07:58 PM

Just saw this article http://mashable.com/...ep-better-apps/. The first one listed has binaural beats in it & it's free.

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#49 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 08:37 AM

I have seen this on youtube for free, also there is an sleep ap for android that has the binaural beats as well. I tried it, it doesn’t help me sleep, but its good for zoning out. On the other hand, yesterday  I played some music from youtube that was supposed to be relaxing nature music for cats, the cat mellowed right out and I fell fast asleep! I'll have to try it again and see if it was a fluke!

I'm really curious about them for lucid dreaming and possible meditation/trance. If you try the relaxing one again and have the same results I'd love to hear about it. My husband can't stand binaural beats- they're super irritating to him. I remember the old school days of just running a fan so I'd have some type of white noise to help me sleep! I was going to purchase one of those machines about 10 years ago, until I found a CD at the store that claimed to alter you brainwaves to get into delta sleep. I thought, "what the fuck, it's worth a shot"? They def work for that purpose, but delta isn't ideal for lucid dreaming and hopefully, eventually astral projection. 

huh?

I don't youtube so I don't know what's there.  The 8 hour sleep ones aren't free - at least I don't remember seeing any that were. 

I gotta get good headphones.  I lost those in the divorce. 

iDozer has quality stuff - that's the only site that I'll purchase from without a recommendation from someone I know.  When I first got into them I came across a lot of crap.

I have no idea what it would cost.  If it helps you sleep it might be worth it.  Or someone could've scalped it and put it on youtube - if it's high quality - ya know.

Instead of using the multiquote feature I posted twice in a row when I could have put both of them together to reply to them first. 

YouTube can work (I've used some videos), but in general I think that you're better off going w/originals like the ones you're suggesting  (iDozer) bc I think the quality of the sound is ultimately compromised a bit and at least (to my understanding) binaural beats and other types of music designed to alter your brainwaves requires a certain compression rate (I think- I'd have to double check)- which is possibly why the hubby might not be as fond of them either (crappy quality and/or anyone w/a MAC who thinks it suddenly makes them professionals). Thank you. :smile: And yes, anything that works to help me sleep is def worth it.

I have some good headphones, but I swear I go through those things faster than I can run! I stopped using the good headphones for working out, as I think sweat has a lot to do with it. I'm so partial to the huge over the head ones too, LOL! I have a good pair of those and a crappy pair and a couple of good earbuds (well tech they're the hubby's, but they're easier to sleep in if I'm using them for that purpose). 

Just saw this article http://mashable.com/...ep-better-apps/. The first one listed has binaural beats in it & it's free.

Thank you!!  :vhappywitch: I'm not worthy!  :bowblue: I'm particularly intrigued by #8 (the long deep breathing app).

#50 Wexler

Wexler

Something wrong? Blame retrograde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 02:57 PM

Binaural beats make my ears angry. The best part is when I've finally tranced out on my own so I can start ignoring them. I'll take a pair of ear plugs over them any day. Speaking of which, has anyone ever hung out around the house or gone for a walk with ear plugs in? It is a very surreal feeling.

'Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.'

'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.'

[avatar source]

#51 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 03:08 PM

One of the reasons I like iDozer stuff.  The beats are hidden within nicer sounds.

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#52 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 01:57 AM

Binaural beats make my ears angry. The best part is when I've finally tranced out on my own so I can start ignoring them. I'll take a pair of ear plugs over them any day. Speaking of which, has anyone ever hung out around the house or gone for a walk with ear plugs in? It is a very surreal feeling.

One of the reasons I like iDozer stuff.  The beats are hidden within nicer sounds.

Lol Wex, like I said..my hubby hates them. They seem effective for what they're designed to do, although I haven't tried them for things like pain relief, depression, etc., and all the other things I've seen from some.

Thanks again for the suggestion RR. :)

#53 Snowdrop

Snowdrop

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:00 PM

I keep either my phone or my laptop with me all the time, so my records are mostly all digital. Sometimes I'll even transcribe handwritten stuff onto my computer. It's time-consuming, but I love being able to search for things later on without having to flip through pages of my chicken-scratch writing to find them.

#54 Aurantia

Aurantia

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 04:32 AM

Here's a template that might be useful to glance at when working a spell or magical recipe ... whenever, however you choose to record them.

I'm a firm believer in recording procedures -- memory fades over time. It's nice to look back and see everything you did. 

This template started off much shorter at first, but some very bright witches added great suggestions. 

Worksheet for Spells and Formulars:

Nikki, I wanted to thank you for this post. I'm restarting my path after a long time away from it, and I'm getting my record-keeping in order. In the past, my efforts always failed because of impracticality. This time around, I'm going for the ultimate in practicality - re-purposing my old Day Planner (Classic, 8.5in x 5.5in pages) as my "working carry everywhere" journal and using inexpensive binders in the same size to offload inactive pages and store any reference info that I don't necessarily need to keep with me. 

So, I'm in the process of making page templates in InDesign, and I had this awesome plan for three 2-page spreads - Spell Planning, Spell Working, and Spell Notes - and then my mind promptly went blank when it came time to place the text on the page. Your worksheet got me back on track, and you included things I would have forgotten. Upvoted, and thank you!

"There aren't any magical words, really. Words just hold the magic. ~ Harry Dresden

#55 Caps

Caps

Phytokinesist

• Moderators
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 05:13 AM

I currently use corkbound journals for much of my record keeping, but I have been using a fairly pricey Italian leather bound one for my dream journals.  To me record keeping not only includes spiritual records but I use the same corkbound books for keeping gardening records as well.  Over the years I have used simple marbled composition books and other notebooks but I like having actual books for my records now.

When I'm keeping record of spells, incantations, recipes, and communications I may have had, I have a habit of writing them in Latin.  Recently I've been writing the Latin in Theban script as well...I'm getting rather proficient at using both.  I learned Theban for use in sigils but found that I have a tendency of overcomplicating them with it, Roman script and Futhark really helps not to confuse the shit out of myself.  Learning to use a calligraphy pen was one of the best things I've ever done to make my records look legit ;)

For the dream journals and anything "on the fly" I'll just write it in English.

"It is the still and silent sea that drowns a man." - Old Norse proverb

"It is better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war."

#56 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 04:37 PM

:omg:
Omg you're not going to seriously leave us hanging w/that one are you?!!! :popcorn:

LOL.

I did a spell for someone who was having great difficulty at work. The boss was dishonest and grossly negligent.
Not only did my friend get a better, higher paying job with a more respectable job title where he is VERY happy.... the old 'boss' found himself under FBI Investigation.

The Update: The boss is facing potential jail time -- and, it looks like the biz is going down the tubes at a rapid rate. His reputation is ruined, and rightfully so.

More to my pleasing, it looks like the family members of someone hurt due to his negligence will be receiving compensation and some much-needed justice.

SIDE NOTE: Another man, who posed a threat to my friend's new position, was fired and is also under investigation.

Not bad for an hours work.

Edited by Nikki, 13 February 2015 - 04:39 PM.

The difference between Medicine and Poison is the Dose. :oil-bottle:
I Love you as certain Dark Things are to be Loved,
In Secret, Between the Shadow and the Soul.
- Pablo Neruda

#57 westofthemoon

westofthemoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 03:26 PM

That's awesome, Nikki!

I have a hard time keeping records - half of them are mixed up with my dream journal on my laptop, some are in my random notebooks (and I have a ton of these all over the place, being a list & note taking addict. Recently I've started using my journal again. It's been interesting rereading old entries but unfortunately there aren't any notes just lots of musings. And I know there are works I've done that should be in it but are not because I didn't bother writing them down and now I'll have to use memory to recreate what was done and how it worked out. Not making that mistake again! Gah. All I can do now is learn the lesson & move on.

For example: a few years ago my children became deathly ill, so much that I was convinced it wasn't an ordinary illness. I divined and came up with it being a former friend putting the evil eye on us. So I just sent back everything she'd sent to us over the past few years. That summer, I ran into her husband--apparently her liver had gone downhill in a big way (she was an alcoholic), she'd become deathly ill, he'd lost his job to stay home and cared for his kids while she was in the hospital. I thought, oops, but he said he was happy. But, I didn't keep a timeline, so was it me that pushed her over the edge or was her liver set to go anyway? She's still a nasty piece of work. If she ever left her house I'd hotfoot her right out of town!

Wouldst thou like to Live Deliciously? ~ "The VVitch"

Say what you know, do what you must, come what may.

#58 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 10:34 PM

HAHA, that's funny...'I'd hot foot her right out of town!!! Love it. (I've got neighbors who needed a magical spanking not too long ago !! Whack, Whack !!)

UGH, I used to be organized.... but, now I have spells, incantations and notes all over the damn place.

As much as I love my leather bound book and hand writing everything all fancy-like... it's not always practical.

Hell, it's never practical.

***Growls and shows teeth as she considers the idea of a 3-ring binder***

I really need to get my witchy stuff back in order !!!

Edited by Nikki, 14 February 2015 - 10:35 PM.

- Pablo Neruda

#59 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,826 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 11:03 PM

Nikki, they make leather-covered 3-ring binders.... Just sayin'.

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#60 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 11:29 PM

LOL... I'm sure they do !!! (binders -- ugh -- binders -- ugh)

I hate binders... ugh.

- Pablo Neruda