18 replies to this topic

#1 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 02:36 PM

SOK, I don't read Tarot, but I saw this combination of cards and thought it was interesting.

I've also never seen spread like this before, either. Two Cards for each aspect of the person.

What does this mean?

POWER CARDS: The Sun, The Magician 

DESIRE CARDS: The Hanged Man (REVERSED), The Empress

CORE CARDS: The Emperor, The Fool

GROWTH CARDS: The Lovers, The Fool

LUCKY CARDS: The Star,  Strength

Do certain cards impact other cards? Meaning, does the The Star card influence the The Sun card? Emperor and Empress showing for the same person?  

Also, The Fool shows twice: Core and Growth -- ummmm, I don't get how that can be. 

Can you get a good idea of this person and their life by these cards? IF so, what are they like? 

The difference between Medicine and Poison is the Dose. :oil-bottle:
I Love you as certain Dark Things are to be Loved,
In Secret, Between the Shadow and the Soul.
- Pablo Neruda

#2 Wexler

Wexler

Something wrong? Blame retrograde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 03:41 PM

Hi Nikki!

I think that reading cards is a very personal matter. That is, if you draw those exact cards for that spread, and I draw an identical spread, the cards may be telling us different things. I believe once you build a relationship with a deck, and once you have a personal style, the cards you draw will reflect your knowledge base and skill level. I think every spread a Reader draws is partially a reflection of themselves, which is why I think that an outside view may be helpful, but a different reader can never reach the depths of understanding the original Reader could.

All that being said...

I do love two-card draws. I find them to be powerful, intuitive, and informative ways to read. When I do it, I see the two cards combined and read them as if they were one. It is a great way to read, and excellent practice because it is so quick.

If the Fool appears twice, it is likely that the Reader was drawing two cards, then putting both back in the deck. This isn't a bad way to do things, especially if you are only working with the Major Arcana and your card selection is limited. After all, someone may have the Fool for different aspects of their personality, so you would want to allow the card to show up true again. Having the same card come up more than once could be an easy way to see if someone is over- or under-balanced in an area. In this spread it seems like the Fool is a part of the person's core personality, so in order to grow, they need to embrace the Fool (perhaps by letting go and being passionate and wild).

Many people read with the cards influencing each other. My favorite way to do this is with the elemental dignities (the elements of the cards influence each other, along with the combined traditional meanings. It can add so much depth).

No part of a spread exists in isolation, so all the cards have a pull on each other, but exactly what that pull is depends on how the Reader interprets it.

In this case, the way I see it, the Emperor and Empress offer an interesting juxtaposition (feminine desires vs. masculine core) but I would not read them as changing each other, rather they are in conflict. I don't know, that's just how I see it.

I do not see the Star or the Sun influencing each other. Other readers might. For the most part, I look for opposites (Empress/Emperor, Fool/World, 10 Cups/10 Swords, et cetera), consider the elements (I believe this spread has an excess of Air, so perhaps the Querent is really over-thinking things lately), which cards are nearest to each other physically, and which cards have designated meanings that could overlap (so if this spread had a Soul and a Core category, I would consider the two to have some overlap, and their cards would influence each other). In this spread, I think the two cards in each category influence each other a great deal. The Sun and the Magician I see as being a powerful combination, representing a person of great charisma. The aspects of the sun are funneled through a specific type of person; the type of person indicates how those Sun aspects are displayed. If it were the Moon and Magician, the meaning of the Magician would shift. If it were the Sun and Heirophant, the meaning of the Sun would shift.

If you are hoping to get someone's interpretation of the entire spread, I will try to make this short. I seem to be making huge posts lately...

Power: I don't know what "power" means in this situation (maybe the source or manifestation of the Querent's personal power?), but I see the Sun and Magician together as being a person of great potential resourcefulness and skill, who channels the especially masculine, vital, and expansive attributes of the Sun. I would consider them to be highly charismatic and perhaps a little charming, as well as generally adaptable without needing to totally transmute who they are. They are the sort of person with a lot of "oomph" behind them.

Desire: The person is refusing to take part in a personal revelation that is upon them. In the back of their mind, they know that things need to change, but they are steadfastly refusing. Maybe that shift in perspective the Hanged Man brings is very scary, or hard to accept. Along side this, the Empress suggests the person may be 'nesting' or surrounding themselves with familiar things in order to avoid that change. Juxtaposed with the Emperor below, I suspect the person is rejecting their true personality for whatever reason and pretending to be the Empress when they are the Emperor.

Core: The person is, at their core, a strong independent type. They have masculine qualities such as expansive action and outward movement. They may be a good leader, but their wandering nature may prevent them from becoming ruler of a realm. They may need to 'go places' or always be on an adventure in order to be happy. The Emperor comes off as stern, but the Fool suggests this person is not stoic. Rather, they eagerly seek experience and knowledge; they want to know what the world has in store for them. They want to be who they are in an exciting world, they want to take the leap and just do what their heart tells them.

Growth: At this current point in time, the Querent needs to allow themselves to become passionate about something in order to grow. This may literally be a lover [The Empress and Emperor juxtaposition makes me feel this spread may be about a homosexual or a transsexual, or someone stuffed in to a traditional gender role, or any place in society, that does not truly represent them], but it may actually be embracing some closed-off part of themselves they have been denying. The Fool suggests it is time to strip away some of that world-weary cynicism and go back to your innocent roots. When we go back to square one, what does the Querent feel passionately about? Where does their heart take them? That is what the Querent should explore in order to grow, and they should approach that passion honestly and fairly with a healthy dose of optimism.

Lucky: I imagine that these are the cards the Querent can always 'bet on'. The Star primarily represents to me the promise of hope. It may be far off, but when you're flat on your back you can always see the light above you, reminding you that better things are out there. Together with Strength, the Querent can always bet that if they look towards the future, their inner strength will never fail them, and they can achieve any goal. The Querent may also be the sort of person that, when they recognize their own inner strength, can always see hope for the future. So even if the Querent is not feeling particularly confident, they can bet on the Star and Strength to get them through. More practically, the Querent may find better luck when betting on long-term projects; 'quick fixes' may never come through very well for them. When choosing sides, the Querent may be better off picking strength (physically or of character) instead of wit, cunning, or skill. The Querent may get along better with people who represent a strength of will rather than cunning of character [let us reflect that the Querent's power cards represent a great magnitude of inner strength].

I'm not sure what you're looking for, but I hope this helps!

Oh, to answer your last question: I think the Querent is a person of great potential power (maybe not magically, but just personal power) who right now is shut up in a corner that they can't get out of or don't want to leave. They are denying their true nature for whatever reason, maybe because to be true to themselves requires a scary leap of faith that is hard to take. They are the sort of person that wants to live life and find adventure. They like being in control, and they are really good at that, but they are not domineering. They may be having gender or sexuality issues, or for some reason they are repressing the masculine part of their personality (Eh, they could even be staying with the wife when what they really want is to cut free and go on the road... there are a lot of possibilities here). For some reason they strike me as being generally honest, with a strong desire for independence. Life turns out best for them when they go in it for the long haul and trust character over cunning.

This was a fun spread to try and figure out... I may have to try it for myself some time :smile:

Edited by Wexler, 18 July 2014 - 03:46 PM.

'Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.'

'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.'

[avatar source]

#3 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 06:18 PM

Wow Wexler, that was informative !!! Thank you !!! Have you tried this spread on yourself yet?

I can see how The Fool might be indicating going back to basics. (The Fool conjured an imagine of stupidity -- not following / trusting ones heart, so now it makes sense)

As far as any sexual confusion, I cannot say... a wedding band was visible, though.  

To me, these cards just looked so much more interesting than the cards other people drew. 

What's up the The Hanged Man Reversed?  (That's the card that REALLY drew my notice, that and the Magician and The Sun.. but you explained those 2 well) 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm interested to see if anyone else might have a similar or different interpretation. 

Also, how much of ones own intuition goes into reading Tarot?   Is it more difficult to read cards this way vs. face-to-face?

Is it the relationship you have with your own deck? Or being able to SEE and READ the person, as well?

- Pablo Neruda

#4 Wexler

Wexler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 06:57 PM

The Fool can definitely be stupidity or naivete. If it was combined with a card like the Moon, it would make me think the person was getting in to things they did not understand. But other times I see it as a card of optimism and beginnings.

The conflict between the Emperor and Empress may not be strong enough to indicate sexual confusion. After all, not having set down the cards or knowing the Querent, I am really shooting in the dark here. Both genders are represented in everyone, so maybe this person's life had an imbalance of feminine aspects that was conflicting with their naturally more masculine core. There are too many possibilities to really say.

The Hanged Man is a tricky card. I have only gotten it a handful of times in the years I have been reading. Typically, when I read it, I see it as being about a change in perspective. It's when you wake up and realize that there is no reason you need to work at a job you hate to pay for an expensive house you don't need. Or when you look at your magical abilities and have the revelation that you don't need candles or ingredients, the power is inside of you. Or when you look at your friends and suddenly see them as strangers with no real connection to you. The Hanged Man indicates a shift in how you view the world or a situation - sometimes insignificant, sometimes life-changing. Reversed could mean a few things. It could mean the person is having an incorrect or false revelation (in this situation, maybe the person falsely believes that their role of the Empress will make them happy). The interpretation I made was that the Querent was forcefully blocking this change from happening in their mind. Alternatively, something else has clogged the pipes and is not allowing this necessary shift in perspective to happen. Because it was under Desire, it causes me to believe that the Querent is blocking out their true desires, or has come to believe one thing will make them happy when in reality it will not.

I have not tried it on myself yet, I will let you know what I think of it when I do, though.

I think that reading cards for people face-to-face ruins me a bit, actually. I get nervous of their judgment or what they will think. They always like to inject their thoughts or experiences, which messes me up and clouds what the cards are saying. If I had a true draw for a person (that is, drawing cards connected to them and not random cards without a message) I would much rather read without them in the room, and then tell them everything I saw afterwords. Plus, I am much more likely to loose confidence in myself and ask cold-reading type questions which just further screws me up. I would much rather trust what my deck has to say.

I read cards with their traditional meanings, but the message I put together intuitively. I have to use a certain level of intuition and understanding to realize which definition the card currently represents. Some people don't use traditional meanings at all though, that I would consider to be highly intuitive.

[avatar source]

#5 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 07:15 PM

I've given some of my most accurate tarot readings by email.  Granted, these were for people that I already know and have online friendships with.  I don't think that being face to face is necessary or required.

Without being able to see the actual lay-out I have no way of knowing which cards would be interacting with each other.

The Hanged Man Reversed is usually the end of a time of being stuck.  Not knowing what to do or not making a decision.  It also shows that this time of not being animated is drawing to a close.

With just a quick look over (I just don't have a Wex sized post in me at the moment lol)

DESIRE CARDS: The Hanged Man (REVERSED), The Empress

Radiant, flowing energy, feeling enlightened.  Anything is within your grasp.  The way ahead is well lit. 

DESIRE CARDS:  The Hanged Man (REVERSED), The Empress

Not really sure what is wanted.  Perhaps the steady and strong love of the Empress?  The reversed Hanged Man shows that this period of not knowing what is desired is drawing to a close.  This person desires more beauty in their life.

The Emperor is 'The Man' - the fair and honest, upright dude that knows what must be done and handles it well.  That the Fool is also in the core cards shows that while this person has the ability - they don't always use their head or think.   Sorta like both sides of a coin.

There's a choice coming up.  Will this person be able to rise up to become the 'Emperor" or will they choose the Fool and blow it? 

I think that the Fool showing up in both the Core cards and in the Growth cards is showing what needs to be overcome in order to grow.

Hope, spirituality, gentle strength.  What this has to do with luck - I have no idea.

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#6 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:37 PM

The actual layout was in an X formation: Core in the center. I believe the Core cards were drawn first. Then, Power, Desire, Growth, Luck. 

POWER                 DESIRE

CORE

GROWTH                  LUCK

LUCKY CARDS: The Star,  Strength

Hope, spirituality, gentle strength.  What this has to do with luck - I have no idea. 

HAHAHA, RR.... Maybe this person has little or NO luck and must rely on both HOPE and Strength to muddle through life? Idk..

- Pablo Neruda

#7 Wexler

Wexler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:58 PM

It was an interesting read, I got the equivalent of the Empress and the Hanged Man in one section, and then the Emperor and the Hanged Man again in another. Good food for thought :)

[avatar source]

#8 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 11:37 PM

Does the order of the cards have importance? EX: The Sun ( first ) - The Magician VS. The Magician ( first ) vs.The Sun. 

- Pablo Neruda

#9 Guest_monsnoleedra_*

Guest_monsnoleedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2014 - 11:47 PM

Does the order of the cards have importance? EX: The Sun ( first ) - The Magician VS. The Magician ( first ) vs.The Sun. 

In the spread you did it matters to know the order it was laid but its not as important as in other spreads.  Especially so if you used reversed cards as well.

#10 Wexler

Wexler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 12:49 AM

The way I see it MonSno, the order doesn't matter. But that is the way I would lay down this spread. That is another reason why it can be hard for readers to interpret each other's spreads, what is truly relevant is I think determined by the original reader.

[avatar source]

#11 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 04:32 PM

I don't think it really matters because they're re-using the cards for each section.

I would have to lay out the spread to see the connections and what's where.  Not today - I'm taking more cold meds and going back to bed.

Empress, Emperor and Hanged man - yeah, I can see that, Wex.  Was your HM upright or reversed?\

... and must rely on both HOPE and Strength to muddle through life?

Don't we all?

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#12 Wexler

Wexler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 07:35 PM

I didn't shuffle any reverses in to the deck, so they were all upright.

To be honest, I don't think I drew the spread well. I could feel there was not a strong connection. It still gave me some things to think about, though. Perhaps I will try it again when I can really connect.

[avatar source]

#13 Belwenda

Belwenda

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:42 PM

How could that draw come from a full deck? All Major Arcana? Unlikely 

"For there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so" W.S.

#14 Wexler

Wexler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:20 PM

I assumed the person reading was using only the major arcana. When I did the same spread for myself I only used the MA as well. Although in the past, I have done similar spreads with a 76 card deck that were entirely MA cards. Very curious when that happens...

[avatar source]

#15 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:58 PM

It wasn't a full deck. Several draws were made. 

- Pablo Neruda

#16 Belwenda

Belwenda

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 10:28 PM

I've never done that- worked with only part of the deck.... interesting.

"For there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so" W.S.

#17 Wexler

Wexler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 10:52 PM

I've never done that- worked with only part of the deck.... interesting.

I have worked with only the Major Arcana, Minor Arcana, or Court cards for specific things. Splitting the deck up can sometimes be helpful. I have heard it said that you only need to read with the Minor Arcana to get details but otherwise it is useless; secretly, I thought this woman just said that because she was too lazy to learn all 76 cards. But I do know that reading only with the Major Arcana is common. I think sometimes reading that way is helpful to learn archetypes or themes instead of specifics or details.

[avatar source]

#18 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 10:54 PM

I assumed the person reading was using only the major arcana. When I did the same spread for myself I only used the MA as well. Although in the past, I have done similar spreads with a 76 card deck that were entirely MA cards. Very curious when that happens...

It's happened to me before and I'm by far from an experienced reader. I used the entire deck as well. I'm def not a very experienced reader.

I see you're getting your degree in art of the obvious~myself
Without music life would be a mistake~ Friedrich Nietzsche
Immorality: The morality of those who are having a better time~ H.L. Mencken
When nature has work to be done, she creates a genius to do it~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
We cannot teach people anything; we can only help them discover it within themselves~ Galileo

#19 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 01:41 AM

I know NOTHING about reading Tarot ( I would like to change this, though ) I have some thoughts.. Oh no....

For experienced readers... I'd like hear your thoughts on my thoughts :)

( I know fully I can be making a total ass of myself for even trying. Gotta start somewhere, right? )

The Hanged Man Reversed in Desire: The Querent went through something (like ignoring a spiritual path, or a universal truth, or refused to see reality by making excuses...  but now their feet are on the ground.... seeing things as really they are?

Placed next to the Empress card (When Emperor is a Core card) shows me person has/had attempted to be something they are NOT.

A tiger may want to be lamb, but never will be.

Perhaps by giving in, giving over, letting things go, going with the flow, giving love and nurturing to those undeserving or reluctant to give up luxury wasn't beneficial to the Querent's life. Perhaps they let someone else be the Leader, with less-than great results?

I can see how The Empress is a very a seductive aspiration... but can also be damaging to someone who doesn't play games and has a seriously strong sense of RIGHT vs. WRONG or a Time to Work / Time to Play attitude towards life.  Surely, a price was paid for this caving into an Empress desire... a lesson not to be forgotten?

The Fool in both on Core and Growth seems like the Querent needs to get back to basics. In other words, be the Emperor you are !!! A new beginning is at hand by being true to one's true nature? Stop wanting to be what you aren't (Empress?) That desire doesn't serve the Querent's best interests. Never again ignore what got you into a mess to begin with? 

The instincts are there. The logic is there. USE THEM always. You're a tiger. Lamb doesn't compliment your life, unless its a hardy dinner for your for table for you feast on.

So,  whatever you've been though, you are still optimistic and have hope but NEVER close your eyes again to what you saw in the past and refused to believe? Be aware of being played as a 'fool' --- i.e., the lamb to be prayed upon and devoured ?

With the Lovers in the Growth section next to the Fool -- yikes... lol. At first glance, it looks like the Querent is a fool at love. (Who isn't...lol ) 

BUT... if I'm close to reading this correctly... The Lovers signify a strong bond (not actual huggie-kissy lovers)

So, in the spirit of Growth, the Querent -- going back to basics, to the core, that's the  bond that should never be broken again...it's the Querent's perfect union.

Love and honor of self and ones TRUE nature (although the Empress is seductive to this person, the Emperor must take control for positive growth to occur) Knowledge learned is only useful if one is willing to USE it.. so, never forget and volunteer to blind oneself to Reality vs. an Ideal again? Know your limitations.  

With the Sun, Magician, Star and Strength cards present, The Querent has enough ILLUMINATION, KNOWLEDGE, FAITH, MASTERY over hardship, that life can be whatever he/she is willing to create -- having learned from past mistakes and applying that knowledge by moving forward  and  being true to his/her core. 

P.S. Wexler, I think you were the one who pointed out that this spread is heavily Air. Maybe that's why these cards literally drew my attention over other speads... so, good catch :)

- Pablo Neruda