35 replies to this topic

#21 Izzie

Izzie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:57 AM

Oh yay, another demon thread!

I work primarily with demons, though not the sort you'd find in ceremonial texts. Those I work with are more like Faerie or Yokai than whatever infernal hierarchy Judeo-Christianity cooked up. 

The word 'demon' itself is derived from ancient Greek 'daemones', which is usually translated to mean 'wise' or 'divine' spirit. The Greeks knew two main types of demons, the 'eudemons', who were good spirits, and 'cadodemons', who were evil. Both were widely considered transformed spirits of the dead, the former often serving mortals as guardians, while the latter caused all sorts of mischief. 

From my own experience, a demon is a darker spirit who may be benign, malignant or entirely neutral. Most were human spirits at one point, and transformed after death for reasons yet unclear to me. I've come to think of them as spirits of emotion, as they are so often inextricably linked with such, and indeed appear to feed from it. 

For example, an incubus is a demon of lust, and sustains himself by inspiring lust in others and feeding on the resulting energy. Another sort(which I've taken to calling 'fiends') feeds on pain and suffering, and thus will dwell in places where these emotions are rampant, if not inspiring them himself. 

I've also noted that the emotions demons are identified with are regarded as unpleasant, such as the aforementioned lust and pain, and also fear, thirst, hunger and rage. I'd also link them to certain forms of insanity. 

Conversely, this does not necessitate that demons are inherently evil. Strange as it may sound, I've known many whom struggled with their natures to the point of denial, self-hatred and profound depression. I've additionally found that they can be some of the kindest, most sympathetic spirits you'd ever hope to come across.

I agree with you on demons having that capacity for kindness, etc. I've not dealt with demons, but coming from my xtian background, anything that wasn't god was evil. I tend to look at demons as another kind of spirit, and from the people I've spoken to, if you treat the demon with respect it will treat you with respect. But, as you say there are some demons who love negativity, so one has to be careful that whatever you call up you can banish if needed.

Know thyself means this, that you get acquainted with what you know, and what you can do.- Menander

#22 SachaX

SachaX

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:46 PM

Perhaps my experiences can help further this discussion.

I have found that some "demons" are actually long gone ancestors of other people who are unable to fully communicate, and so everything about them feels foreign and evil. They may project eyes of dissatisfaction in in what they see, they may stand and the doorway trying to get your attention, they may knock things around.

When you are unable to communicate with a spirit in any meaningful way, it is the same as trying to read a strangers emotions from a mile away.

I have found that for me what works best when a spirit lets itself be known to me, that I will engage it until it talks back, and if it does not I will banish them to leave.

I used to let them stay around and see what would happen, but as I grew older I realized it was best to make the ones who won't communicate leave.

Now don't get me wrong, sure I've come across full on demons - but they were not anti-god. Some were there just there for their amusement, some were there because someone asked them to come, and others because they were attracted to stay around.

Growing up I learned that witches had nothing to do with that ceremonial spirit high-magic because it was invented and done by the king's magic men priests.

Communicating and getting help from a really mean spirit, yes, but not that high magic.

With time: weapons of war disintegrate, the hand drops the pen, but Magick will always be. ~ Me

#23 Faeriechilde

Faeriechilde

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 05:40 PM

This is a very fascinating topic and I am still not too sure where I stand when I try to define the word ´demon`.

I would like your opinions on this story.

So you know you watch some horror movies that deal with possession or you hear a story from a friend whose friend´s cousin twice removed or whatever was apparantly possessed.

Well, my best friend goes to church and she encountered a so called possessed young woman. Apparantly this chick was involved with Satanism and called the pastor for help. She got to the church and she could hardly enter it. She couldn´t say `Jesus´. She started bending her arms all weird, vomiting all over the place and speaking in a really deep voice.

Now I know that my friend wouldn´t make that up but I don´t know what to make of that. Is it a demon? According to the chuch yes. Is it a spirit or an entity?Is she insane or on drugs? I have no clue.

What are your guys´ thoughts?

#24 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 11:16 PM

I don't know...the RCC has been training up exorcists like crazy, saying that the explosion of occultism in worldwide culture is resulting in all sorts of people being possessed.  I'm not sure that this means that a whole bunch of people are being possessed, however.

It's generally acknowledged in the variety of religions or religious sects that use possession as part of their practice, it is generally agreed that possession is either great for the person being possessed nor the spirit doing it.  But possession isn't always a 'bad' thing.

We just call this horsing, or being spirit ridden, and there are various levels of engagement...

All I know is that the Christians don't have much expertise in the matter.  I think that the mind works in strange ways, and people inculcated in pop culture with all the scary movies, along with undiagnosed mental illness, and drug use, especially the consumption of certain kinds, well, I really don't think it's all Biblical-type demon possession.  In some cases the dead would be much better suspects, as well.

Someone, I can't recall whom, made the point recently that those who actually work with demons aren't too prone to possession, as it's sort of difficult for them to get out of you what they want if you're in some disabled state.

Who knows though?  With all the fluff, dark fluff, and idiots out there practicing badly, I am probably giving people too much credit....

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#25 Wexler

Wexler

Something wrong? Blame retrograde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 05:05 PM

What do demons get out of possession?

'Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.'

'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.'

[avatar source]

#26 ArcticWitch

ArcticWitch

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 05:56 PM

What do demons get out of possession?

---
I get the impression that our world is easy pickings for them to satisfy their lust for power. If you were a human sociopath who craved control, would you try to take over another sociopath, or someone without a backbone? Demons come from where they aren't the least bit "special", but out world is filled with countless people who fear them and thousands of Lore stories that depict them as far more powerful than they really are.

#27 Barnstock

Barnstock

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 04:33 PM

In my own experience, all of the christian point of view demonic posessions that I have personally dealt with have been faked. It's remarkably easy to get them to "break character" by either calling them the wrong name, or threatening something they value, like their Precious Moments figurine collection. Both examples are from my own actual experience. I'm not saying it can't or doesn't happen, but I have yet to see the phenomenon with my own eyes. Maybe I've just been lucky.

I have personally worked with a number of "demons", Satanachia, Lucifuge Rofocale, and a few others I will not name. My perception of them is not one of malice toward humanity in any way, but that they do what they do, and how one percieves and classifies that depends on many factors. In fact, even their names are subjective. I've never been able to tell if they are the force or ability they represent, or if it is their vehicle or both. But to me, good and evil is a strictly human invention, and while we might apply it to them, they don't apply it to themselves.

#28 Moondark

Moondark

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 02:47 AM

This is a very fascinating topic and I am still not too sure where I stand when I try to define the word ´demon`.
I would like your opinions on this story.
So you know you watch some horror movies that deal with possession or you hear a story from a friend whose friend´s cousin twice removed or whatever was apparantly possessed.
Well, my best friend goes to church and she encountered a so called possessed young woman. Apparantly this chick was involved with Satanism and called the pastor for help. She got to the church and she could hardly enter it. She couldn´t say `Jesus´. She started bending her arms all weird, vomiting all over the place and speaking in a really deep voice.
Now I know that my friend wouldn´t make that up but I don´t know what to make of that. Is it a demon? According to the chuch yes. Is it a spirit or an entity?Is she insane or on drugs? I have no clue.
What are your guys´ thoughts?

Just to put this out there, I know several demons who would do this for shits and giggles. However, it'd take a relatively powerful one to actually pull it off, and usually those guys have far better things to do than terrorize wannabe Satanists.

Unless they're the sort that feeds off of fear or some such. Then I can see that happening easily.

Not to say one way or the other, of course; in all likelihood, she was faking it.

If I had a dollar for every "demoniac" teenager I've ever met, I'd be a rich woman.

#29 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 10:41 AM

Sounds like something I would do for fun....I can speak in a deep voice, and vomit on command. In the end though,I'd wind up clapping my hands and stomping my feet, praising the 'Lo for letting me bring some heat! Then run away giggling....

I dunno, IMO, if someone hasn't suffered any physical damage it's probably not possession...I've seen too 'demonic possession' videos that turned out to be brugmansia and datura poisonings to credit most of these reports.

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#30 ClockworkGhost

ClockworkGhost

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 12:54 PM

President Buer is a very approachable demon, especially when the sun is in Sagittarius. I wouldn't trust him to heal many things, unless you're male - his medical knowledge is more focussed around physical ailments that befall men. He is a very logical demon - try not to get into too heated a discussion with him concerning legal matters, because he can talk you around in circles. I completely disagree with Louis Le Breton's vision of him - I've only ever seen him as a rather well dressed man with a completely blank and featureless face. He talks directly into your mind using images and the sound of wind through tall and ancient trees, or a voice that sounds like the rasping of insects through dry leaves. His knowledge of herbs is incredible, as is his knowledge of what plants to use in ornamental gardens.
'The way to do is to be' - Lao Tzu

#31 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 07:38 AM

In my own experience, all of the christian point of view demonic posessions that I have personally dealt with have been faked. It's remarkably easy to get them to "break character" by either calling them the wrong name, or threatening something they value, like their Precious Moments figurine collection. Both examples are from my own actual experience. I'm not saying it can't or doesn't happen, but I have yet to see the phenomenon with my own eyes. Maybe I've just been lucky.

I have personally worked with a number of "demons", Satanachia, Lucifuge Rofocale, and a few others I will not name. My perception of them is not one of malice toward humanity in any way, but that they do what they do, and how one percieves and classifies that depends on many factors. In fact, even their names are subjective. I've never been able to tell if they are the force or ability they represent, or if it is their vehicle or both. But to me, good and evil is a strictly human invention, and while we might apply it to them, they don't apply it to themselves.

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

I see you're getting your degree in art of the obvious~myself
Without music life would be a mistake~ Friedrich Nietzsche
Immorality: The morality of those who are having a better time~ H.L. Mencken
When nature has work to be done, she creates a genius to do it~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
We cannot teach people anything; we can only help them discover it within themselves~ Galileo

#32 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 07:59 AM

I was staying the night w/a girlfriend in hs. Well technically it was really the gf of my ex brother-in-law and I didn't really spend too much time w/her as an actual friend. I think he actually asked me to stay the night w/her this night bc he was going out of town and he was "worried" about her. Note the quotation marks around "worried" and it'll be easy to see where this is going.

Long story short at some point late in the night while we were still awake, she suddenly became "possessed". I actually laughed at her and told her to knock it off. Most people at my school were afraid of her, but I don't really see why bc she was all talk and no action. Anyway, she....I mean the demon :rolleyes: threatened me physically. I told her "I fucking dare you" and said if she didn't shut the fuck up I was gonna slap the demon right out of her.

And just like that, the demon "vanished"!!

Posted Image

When nature has work to be done, she creates a genius to do it~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
We cannot teach people anything; we can only help them discover it within themselves~ Galileo

#33 Izzie

Izzie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 12:39 PM

I was staying the night w/a girlfriend in hs. Well technically it was really the gf of my ex brother-in-law and I didn't really spend too much time w/her as an actual friend. I think he actually asked me to stay the night w/her this night bc he was going out of town and he was "worried" about her. Note the quotation marks around "worried" and it'll be easy to see where this is going.Long story short at some point late in the night while we were still awake, she suddenly became "possessed". I actually laughed at her and told her to knock it off. Most people at my school were afraid of her, but I don't really see why bc she was all talk and no action. Anyway, she....I mean the demon :rolleyes: threatened me physically. I told her "I fucking dare you" and said if she didn't shut the fuck up I was gonna slap the demon right out of her. And just like that, the demon "vanished"!! Posted Image

Thanks BRH, this made me laugh! It's amazing how much anti demon stuff is in the media. Hell, I think every episode of A Haunting deals with demons.

Know thyself means this, that you get acquainted with what you know, and what you can do.- Menander

#34 Barnstock

Barnstock

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 03:08 PM

Thanks BRH, this made me laugh! It's amazing how much anti demon stuff is in the media. Hell, I think every episode of A Haunting deals with demons.

This got me thinking, and it's almost as if the media has taken over for the church, keeping demons evil and in the general conciousness. I think this also goes hand in hand with all of the movies that are centered around a messianic character, i.e. "You're the one, Neo". Add in recurring themes of redemption through self sacrifice, like Tony Stark as Iron Man flying a nuke through the portal to defeat the Chitauri, as one example. A lot of movies, and tv shows seem like morality plays.

That being said, it's no wonder that people who believe themselves to be posessed, or portray themselves to be mimic the "media blueprint".

#35 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 09:03 PM

Lol..You're welcome! It made me laugh too. Actually Madea memes always make me laugh.
I've heard of the show- but what channel does it come on again? I'll have to DVR an episode.

#36 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 01:14 PM

I guess ordinary ghosts aren't scary enough for that show. LOL
When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#37 Eidolon

Eidolon

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 08:20 PM

I love this thread. I have been interested in demons as of late. Not for their dark nature but because of how mysterious they are.

How do they vary on an individual basis? Where did the come from? Do they live with us in the shadows or do they dwell within their own world? What have their personal experiences been like through history? Do they ever tell humans stories of their existence?

I wonder if any brave human has summoned/contacted a demon for an "interview". it seems like they would like that better since they are the focus. Also it sounds better than being commanded to do things.

Has anyone simply had a conversation with a demon?