getting in touch with the elements

witchywolf

so this summer i figured i'd grow more as a witch and get in touch with the elements more, and i decided to do this by being around more.... i don't know the right word... bigger sources or energy? so its easier for me to sense?? does that make any sense? so for the element fire, i did a campfire, and it was a very neat experience. for water, it was swimming in the lake, floating on the water and feeling the element itself keep me afloat (was awesome XD). 

Now i'm soon going to be trying the element of air... which is a foreign element to me. i'm an earth person so air seems to be my opposite, since it floats around where ever and earth is so grounded. so i'm kind of stumped... the first two elements came easier to me on how to connect. but other then incense, or sitting outside on a windy day, is there any other ways of connecting with air?? short of jumping into a tornado?? XD jk 

Lol- I was going to actually suggest going out on a day when it is very windy or perhaps visit someplace secluded in nature on a breezy day. I know if you live near the coast this wouldn't be too hard. The ocean breeze is amazing and virtually always there. Do you live near anywhere near someplace coastal? Going outside on a stormy day/night (perhaps right before it rains) when there are large gusts of winds is an extremely exhilarating feeling! I'm an Aquarius and my element is air- I know incense is supposed to be an "air" element, but to me it feels more fire based- bc it's smokey, it requires fire to be activated, etc. I don't feel connected to air w/incense. Heck, buy yourself a huge fan and stand in front of it full blast for a bit, lol. :sweat:   :flyaway:  Or maybe you could ride in a convertible w/someone? 

I talk to the breeze when I'm on my back steps. I have got to the point now when I can sense when he's about to show and I will watch the tops of the palm trees to confirm. I say hi to him, let him know the cool breeze feels good, tell him how my day's going, etc.

M

Simply breathe.

I've found that people in general, and me especially, just work way too hard at trying to work with air.  It's as simple as breath.  Anything more than that just complicates it.

I found this short article about mastering the four elements to be interesting. The author speaks about using each element as part of understanding it as a whole.

http://www.northernshamanism.org/shamanic-techniques/elements/mastering-the-elements.html

Whether these are things you need to do to actually master the four elements I couldn't say, but they all seem to be interesting exercises that certainly couldn't hurt.

Getting up somewhere high can help. A large hill, a mountain or skyscraper for instance. If you want to disconnect a bit from the earth element it can be useful to a climb to the top of a man made structure.

Recently I set out to combat my fear of heights so went with a friend to st pauls cathedral in London. We climbed the stairs all the way to the top balcony. I hated that climb and the higher we got the more my body tried to resist, it was totally irrational as the stairs were safe. Anyways there's two balconies one larger one and a second one higher up that you get two via a spiral metal staircase. When we got to the first balcony I felt sick, but the second I stepped outside and the wind hit me my fears vanished and cool logic took over. I was completely safe and nothing to fear. The views from there were amazing. After that I zipped up those metal stairs to the higher balcony. I should have been afraid, those stairs were way scary but air had banished my fears. While up there I whistled to the wind and took deep breaths and found a connection to air and sky I didn't know was possible and I had been working with them for years.

Anyway the point I want to make is connecting to the elements is a lifetime of work and you can find them anywhere at any time, you just need to be open to experiencing them. Libraries for instance have an aspect of air about them.

Climbing high also is an effective way to connect with the air element, even for those who find air hard to connect with.  

Gyreleaf: I understand you have a fear of heights and that being a atop tall building is a safe way to address that fear... but, why would you want to disconnect from the earth element?

Climbing high also is an effective way to connect with the air element, even for those who find air hard to connect with.

Gyreleaf: I understand you have a fear of heights and that being a atop tall building is a safe way to address that fear... but, why would you want to disconnect from the earth element?

wait...thats what I was saying. Getting up high is useful to connecting to air. The earth bit was about witchywolf saying they were an earthy type person and grounded, so disconnecting from that can help connect to air.

My story about my fear etc was just to demonstrate that connections to elements can come at any time and place.

OH, silly me for not reading that properly !!!

I still don't think disconnecting from one element helps get you closer to another.

Earth can act like an anchor or shackles. It is solid and dense, it is physical. The air is free and in constant motion, expansive and less tangible. A person very connected to earth can struggle to be free enough to experience air.

The elements are in everything including your personality and thoughts so if your very earthy and grounded it can be hard to even conceive of airy things.

Its kinda like trying to find a rose in a field of lavender using only your sense of smell. Your senses can be so full of earth you can't sense the air. So getting up high takes you further from the land and the greatest source of earth energy, but a hill or mountain can still be very earthy, so climbing a man made structure can increase that separation from earth and clear the senses.

yah that's what i'm feeling lol and i don't really want to disconnect from earth, but just free myself of restrictions like being grounded temporarily to connect with air. 

i do understand that it is a lifelong process, i just want to figure out the initial connection so i can continue to learn from each element :)  

Disconnect was probably a bad choice of words, what I suggested is most definitely a temporary thing. I can't think of a better word or term to use. But from my examples and analogies I think you get where I'm coming from.

i get where you're coming from too :) i just wanted everyone else knew too XD 

everyone's advice is great :) 

Perhaps understanding the different forms air can take would be useful. Air isn't just present when it's windy! Every time you breathe in you are mingling with air - it is more necessary to sustain your life than water.

Practically speaking, I would try delivering all my spells with air for a while and see if that helps me connect with it on an energetic level.

I found this short article about mastering the four elements to be interesting. The author speaks about using each element as part of understanding it as a whole.

http://www.northernshamanism.org/shamanic-techniques/elements/mastering-the-elements.html

Whether these are things you need to do to actually master the four elements I couldn't say, but they all seem to be interesting exercises that certainly couldn't hurt.

Bookmarking this for another day and time!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all, this is my very first post (aside from the newbie post).

I had wanted to start a thread with something like this topic, but when I read through it I thought I may as well put it here instead of starting a new topic.

I have raised the elementals for magickal purposes. Fire is by far the neatest experience.

In order to get a new job recently, I took my other witchy friends and we beat on the drums and bells and ran around the fire and imitated someone "rising" while we shouted rise fire, rise!.

This took a while, like usual, but he rose from the fire and hung for a moment in the smoke above it. All 4 of us saw him. I showed him my poppet of me dressed in the workclothes of my new job, and then offered it to the fire. He didn't say anything, but I know he showed himself to us for the purpose of helping. 2 days later I was invited for an interview for that job - still awaiting the outcome as it was a few days ago.

It is absolutely wonderful if the elementals can stay a little longer and talk to you. They have such ancient wisdom and can tell you your future. We are hoping to soon do the earth elemental.

**I say "he" when referring to the elemental because they always appear in the shape of a man in all of my experiences**

• 4 weeks later...

Archived