16 replies to this topic

#1 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 11:58 PM

I know many are into spirits, entities, demons, and look to them for knowledge. "Other-world" teachers who know about the other world. Spirits that are seen as "real" and as communicative entities. How many look closer to home? To the archetypal spirits of trees, plants, rocks? I believe these things are very much alive, very much communicative, and can very much be "teachers" for people on a path or looking for a path. Teachers not because they exist for the human's personal use and are out to save us, but teachers simply because they have great knowledge. And if befriended, can be friends, and even teachers.

M

#2 Guest_monsnoleedra_*

Guest_monsnoleedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2014 - 02:02 PM

For me what your describing is how I would use the notion of allies and guides within and upon the physical plain.  While I do have other worldly guides and teachers, one can not ignore the worldly ones that are found in all the peoples of the planet.  By other peoples I refer to the Stone people, the standing ones (Green People), the Winged Ones, the Finned Ones, the Two and Four Legged ones.  But I admit that co-insides with animism and animatism as aspects of Hedge witchary or shamanic like practices.

#3 SerpentWitch

SerpentWitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 02:56 PM

I do look closer to home. Trees, plants and rocks, but also fire and water. Each of those things has it's own story and knowledge. They all have something to teach you that no other spirit ever could explain. 

Posted ImageWalking in Darkness

#4 Ravenmocker

Ravenmocker

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:29 PM

I know this sounds rather strange but I did have a series of dreams involving a spirit that looked like the Baphomet. He instructed me on using the four elements in magic and introduced me to the five elemental system used in eastern philosophy calming it as more refined and reliable system

Edited by Ravenmocker, 25 June 2014 - 09:30 PM.

:twisted_witch: + :chillpill: = :cool_witch:

#5 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:36 PM

For me what your describing is how I would use the notion of allies and guides within and upon the physical plain...

Yes, one could call them that... I just think "teacher" simply because I learn a lot from them  :rofl:

#6 Belwenda

Belwenda

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 06:00 PM

I agree; the information is all around us there for the absorbing or to act- (some might meditate) upon; but getting into a bargain- a "quid pro quo " arrangement so to speak.... IDK about that.

"For there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so" W.S.

#7 Christine

Christine

Marsh Wiggle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 07:50 AM

It's an interesting question, Michele, but unfortunately yet again I can't give a straight answer, because I never have felt able to draw a clear delineation in between these entities. So the difference I can perceive, inasmuch as I'm able to discern a difference, between say a tree spirit and a woods spirit (genius) is not so much of type as of scale. Travelling out for me does not really take me to a different land, or landscape, so much as it provides me with an alternate point of perspective, not even necessarily a different vista. Simply, I talk to everything. If I get no response, assume the problem is with me, or as Norfolk recently put it, 'Heywitch, your ears are too small.' (tr. approx.)

Hard to talk about this, though. I find myself slipping into platitudes. Go look at the paintings of Giorgio Morandi. I can't say it in words without sounding like a twit.

Don't drink from the river, drink from the well.

#8 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 11:16 AM

It's an interesting question, Michele, but unfortunately yet again I can't give a straight answer, because I never have felt able to draw a clear delineation in between these entities. So the difference I can perceive, inasmuch as I'm able to discern a difference, between say a tree spirit and a woods spirit (genius) is not so much of type as of scale. Travelling out for me does not really take me to a different land, or landscape, so much as it provides me with an alternate point of perspective, not even necessarily a different vista. Simply, I talk to everything. If I get no response, assume the problem is with me, or as Norfolk recently put it, 'Heywitch, your ears are too small.' (tr. approx.)
Hard to talk about this, though. I find myself slipping into platitudes. Go look at the paintings of Giorgio Morandi. I can't say it in words without sounding like a twit.

This reminds me of the discussion of not having a target (from the card-theft thread). I don't travel so I don't go anywhere to speak to spirits, I sit on my back steps and talk to my yard-land spirit, or to a tree specifically, or to a piece of "living" wood I am holding, or to a bee, or an egrret... So I know who I'm talking to and who is answering... because I know the "target" of my converssation, lol. And I know the nature of these things, so I know if the answers are off.

So If I traveled and just talked in general to anything I would have no clue who or what I was talking to or who or what it was or who or what was trust-worthy. So I stick close to home, develop relationships with things I do know and can trust. Then I have friends I can count on, and who do recognize things, and can offer a "hey - get the f*** out of there NOW" hint if things are about to go belly-up. For me I started small, with things I knew and knew I could trust.

The other thing for me which was hard (and still often is, lol) is "having ears to hear with" as so often the conversations seem to be symbolic. Like I have a piece of driftwood I often talk to. One day I started smelling the ocean on the back steps (and I don't live near enough to it that I would smell it). Then I smelled fish by my mail box. Then salted water kept popping up in weird ways. I knew it was the driftwood talking but I wasn't sure of the message. My child called and mentioned he was going to a friend's and I had an instant visual of crashing waves. The friend lived right on the beach. I told my son not to go. And I'll never know what would or wouldn't have happened if he had gone. All I know is he didn't go, the salted-water/fish senses stopped coming the instant he decided not to go, and he's safe and sound. So to me, I don't go "out into astral" looking for spirits I don't know. I stick with those I know and trust closer to home and work on developing a mutual friendship with them, lol.

Edited by Michele, 13 June 2015 - 01:10 PM.

#9 Guest_monsnoleedra_*

Guest_monsnoleedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2014 - 12:08 PM

I know for me I was born under a wandering star to borrow that song reference from Paint Your Wagon.  Between having a family that moved as I grew up then serving in the military for 23 years I spent a lot of time with various "Spirits".  It's only now in later life that I can say i've been in any area longer than 5 years at one shot.  Sometimes you know who it is your talking to, other times you have no idea.  Imagine being at sea, miles off shore on a dark night and have something call to you.  You can't see it, smell it, touch it but it sure as heck makes its self known that its there and is speaking to you.  Yet so dark you can't even see your hand in front of your face as you feel your way along the weather decks and bulkheads to move.

I agree with Michele that a lot of times its a matter of learning to hear them when they talk to us.  Many times it seems to me that its more a matter of imagery that appears in the mind, an echo of an image that fills your senses due to some smell or touch of a light whispy breeze upon your skin.  On rare occasions that subtle voice that seems to be everywhere and no where as you try to figure out where it is coming from.  Sometimes you strain to hear it, other times its like someone is screaming in your ear with their mouth next to one side or the other.  More times than I can relate it's like sitting in a movie theatre and the film is playing before you on the landscape and once you settle into the viewing it all comes alive.  You become both observer and participant in the stage play or movie the spirits are putting on before you.  Like some complex story line you watch as the players take their position with new players coming and going before your eyes and the scene and focus changes with each chapter.

#10 Heks

Heks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 10:34 AM

This topic resonates with me. When I was a teenager, I swam deep under water every day. When under water, I felt like I was at sea, I was a whale at sea, I felt there was no time, no space, no body. I was alone in the pool most days, and I disappeared under the water, in a different world. I left behind my garden in my old house in Banbury; where I buried a big bird's leg. I talked to the spirit of the bird. I talked to the trees in the park behind my house. I feel such a pull towards that place, like it's the centre of my world. Now I live miles away. I feel nothing here, no spirits talking to me. Emptiness. I don't see faces or animals or humanoids in trees here. Sorry if I went off-topic. Heks
"One's own house, though small, is better,
For there thou art the master.
It makes a man's heart bleed to ask
for a midday meal at the house of another."

(35 Havamal, Edda)

#11 Christine

Christine

Marsh Wiggle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 02:43 PM

Heks, I know what that's like, when you stay for a while in a place and build up a relationship with the land, then move along and its all to do over again. Do you have any local nature guides for your new area's flora and fauna, or maps of local parkland? Have you tried any wildcrafting, or set up a meeting space in or near your new turf? I know that it is hard to find time when you are settling in, especially if you are dumb like me and insist on packing everything, literally everything. I suffered for a while before I finally admitted that when I move, I also have to unpack not only my stuff, but myself. Which means the spoons might have to stay in the box for a while so I can hang a necklace on that branch of this tree. I might have to find a walking route to the nearest body of water before I find the hardware store. I'll feel like an idiot when I realize what order I've done things in-- or out of-- but doing it the "right" way can really mess me up. Also, spirits can be shy. 

Um. Unless you mean things are creepily quiet in your neck of the woods. I... hope that's not what you mean. Probably they are shy.   

Don't drink from the river, drink from the well.

#12 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 11:07 PM

The ability to HEAR denotes they have befriended YOU and found you worthy of their wisdom. So, to me... it works in very reverse way. 

One can 'befriend' and love and commune with rock or a tree for 20 years and get absolutely nothing from it.

Only the spirit itself can decide who its going to speak to... and when... imo.

The difference between Medicine and Poison is the Dose. :oil-bottle:
I Love you as certain Dark Things are to be Loved,
In Secret, Between the Shadow and the Soul.
- Pablo Neruda

#13 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 11:40 PM

I have noticed, time and time again, that some of my most valuable teachers thus far have been other people and being I have run into along the way. While I do indeed reach out, for knowledge, power, all sorts of things - I find that I do not truly learn until I am at "home", away from the situation, after the initial talk or run-in or event, and it has time to sink in and I can see my own truths.

That being said, the most recent thing I've learned is despite being anything at all, I'm blind as a bat!  :laugh:

RSKHFMY

#14 Hazel

Hazel

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:01 PM

I view conversations with other entities/spirits/daemons/intelligences or humans in this 3d world or beyond it - as a mutual exchange. 

What I find most enlightening at the moment is the memories that seem to keep coming back to me from beyond this life, and that is where I find I am learning the most OR I guess remembering.  

#15 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 11:53 PM

haha, a conversation is a mutual exchange... 

Funny you say this.. I was pondering this very thing today... Learning and Remembering and how they are different, to me. 

Learning from the past helps put the present in prospective,... data if you will, to apply to an acquired information base, from which to draw a conclusion.

Re-membering is more like a Deju Vu experience... knowing without instruction/practice/proof ... knowing you know before you it's 'taught' to you...  this, to me, feels more like an awakening after a long slumber... a slumber from another time.  

Both re-membering and learning can lead to enlightenment... whatever that is...lol. 

The difference between Medicine and Poison is the Dose. :oil-bottle:
I Love you as certain Dark Things are to be Loved,
In Secret, Between the Shadow and the Soul.
- Pablo Neruda

#16 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 10:37 AM

Bump

RSKHFMY

#17 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 01:14 PM

The ability to HEAR denotes they have befriended YOU and found you worthy of their wisdom. ...

I'm not so sure that for me the ability to hear/sense (because I often "hear" with my senses, not my ears lol) something is related to them befriending me. I've been walking in wild places and had the instant feeling pushed upon me that I'm intruding and to leave. So they let me know, they talked to me, but they weren't interested in friendship with humans. I respected their wishes and left, lol. After all, I was the one intruding in their home and not the other way round.

M

Edited by Michele, 13 June 2015 - 01:15 PM.