• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#21 nemi

nemi

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 09:03 PM

Really hard to pick a favourite. I'd be lost without so many of them. Mugwort, vervain , rue, wormwood, calamus and licorice are all important to me.

I'm cooking with lavender alot at the moment some great old recipes! Garlic and Chilli go in everything savory.

For incense i think the most important resin to me is frankincense. Storax is amazing and dragons blood but I'm practically a frankincense junky. I wear it, i burn it, i infuse it, if i could find a way to eat it i probably would.

#22 star

star

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 07:28 PM

I use a lot of lavender and Rosemary, mint and lemon balm. I grow tons of it to keep me in good supply.

I have recently discovered golden milk, warm milk and turmeric. It's a really comforting drink, helps relieve muscular pain

Star x

#23 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 10:33 PM

I love mint. It is such a simple, wild plant. I could drink mint herbal tea by the quart. I stand-up a crystal point in a teacup filled with dry mint, rose buds and lavender and the energy really flows. I love mint for it's versatility in magic. It's so clean. It grows wild just about everywhere.

As does nightshade, grow everywhere around here, It covers the fences all along the alley (inner-city). It's hardy and invasive. I've never found a use for it, but it sure wants to be here, there, and over there, and...

#24 RapunzelGnome

RapunzelGnome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 11:36 PM

Favorite is Catnip. Love it as incense, in my pipe, in tea, in spellwork, as an offering for one of my favorite deities. It's so calming and I love smell. And it makes my kitties super affection of course.

Other things I ALWAYS keep stocked up
*cedar for storm offerings or smudging
*tobacco for offerings for land spirits
*sage or mugwort for smudging
*rosemary for...a gazillion things...
*lavender & mint for my migraines
*stinging nettle for all sorts of medicinal needs
*witchhazel, rose water & tea tree oil for my skin

I also really LOVE the smell of Wood Betony but I haven't found many uses for it yet.

#25 ArcticWitch

ArcticWitch

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 04:54 PM

Damiana is my favorite, followed closely by wormwood.  I find myself enjoying damiana year-round, whereas I seem to gravitate towards wormwood more frequently in the fall and early winter.

#26 Aina

Aina

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 05:13 PM

Lavender, sage and agrimony

#27 Turncoat

Turncoat

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 06:14 PM

Been really enjoying a simple tea of damiana, mugwort, and honey lately. The herbs have beautiful flavor, and the drink has helped me deal with my sleeping troubles. Using a lot of dill, rosemary, and white clover as well.

Tell me strange things.

#28 Duchess

Duchess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 01:54 AM

I live in a second story apartment, so my space is limited and currently housing pots of mint, basil, sage, dill, rosemary, and a tea camellia. 

#29 westofthemoon

westofthemoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 03:49 AM

Medicinally: yarrow, cottonwood balm, chickweed, dandelion, mullein, comfrey, nettle, linden, oatstraw, red raspberry & red clover.
Other: mandrake, damiana, wormwood, mugwort.

Wouldst thou like to Live Deliciously? ~ "The VVitch"

Say what you know, do what you must, come what may.

#30 Merianna

Merianna

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 06:02 PM

I'm busy growing chamomile from seedlings can't wait for them to grow all the way and flower!!! Not only will they be super pretty but then i can also use them for teas. Even though it's winter over here right now they are still going strong!

I love using my herbs mostly for teas since i don't have much space to dry them out.
I have 3 kinds of mint, Sage, royal lavender, rosemary, purple cone flowers, 2 hibiscus, 3 kinds of basil, lemon verbina (divine), marigolds, wild lavender, lots of green clover, jasmine and a strawberry plant.

There are many more i still want to try out as well :D!

#31 FromHerWithLove

FromHerWithLove

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 September 2016 - 05:47 PM

Most of the herbs I use in day to day life I also use in magic. My favorites are cinnamon, salt, garlic, nutmeg, and cloves (which I use far too much of outside of magic).

"Hero's don't exist, and even if they did I wouldn't be one of them."

#32 SelkieBlythe

SelkieBlythe

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 02:27 AM

I always have cinnamon, lavender, mint, and sage. Ginger and turmeric have become staples in the last few years. I use turmeric in face masks and in teas to sooth inflammation. It's amazing. I've also been using fennel and basil a lot for spells. Also, since discovering just how much my skin loves rosewater and rose oil, I haven't been without it. 

It doesn't qualify as an herb, exactly, but my aloe plant is very important. When I spilled boiling water on my hand the other day, my husband grabbed one of the leaves and got me some pure aloe vera immediately. It also helps for general skin irritations - not just burns. 

#33 Merianna

Merianna

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 11:02 AM

Alo vera os an amazing plant to have with many many properties, I'm so jealous!

#34 IslandBruja

IslandBruja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 06:36 PM

Aloe Vera so easy to grow (virtually care-free), Merianna, if you even have a sunny windowsill you could grow a small pot inside and gift the keiki to friends to start new plants when it starts getting overgrown....

#35 Eis

Eis

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 08:02 PM

I can't pick one favorite!
Spiritually (right now anyway)
mugwort, dittany of crete, wormwood, mandrake, datura
All the Things that go in Florida Water

Aromatherapy
lavender, jasmine, cedarwood, oakmoss, cypress, frankincense, rose, Solomon's seal root (burn some it smells like popcorn love love)

Healthwise (too many things)
raspberry leaves, hibiscus, chamomile, valerian, mint & lavender oils for headaches, aloe vera for burns, plantain for bug bites and sores, camphor for congestion, passionflower for its sedative effect (the fruit makes for good eating and can I just say: passion fruit pina colada, anyone?), citronella to run off the damn mosquitoes, lemongrass oil for bugspray and killing them damn piss ants: If the dogs go licking around it I don't have to worry about them being poisoned, unlike insecticide

Incense
almost everything I whip up has a base made from frankincense and myrrh, I love the smell of copal and benzoin, too

#36 Yex

Yex

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 02:06 AM

I've had a long and close relationship with lavender, both magically and therapeutically, although I haven't been using it as much lately (maybe I need to do so). I also work a lot with mugwort, consumed as tea for dreams, burnt for smudging, or at times smoked in a pipe. In ancestor work I use a lot of myrrh, and have lately begun to use a lot of yew branches/needles. I also use willow in working with ancestors. Tobacco is kind of my go-to offering to nature spirits, and I also smoke it daily. In the past I had a close relationship with cannabis, both smoked and used magically, but I don't work with it anymore. I burn a lot of white sage, and also drink it in tea with mint as a tonic of sorts; I also like to drink douglas fir tip tea to the same effect. I've lately been forming a close magical relationship with western red cedar. I've always felt a strong draw to amanita muscaria mushrooms, but it's only been this fall that I've found some to start working with them, which just felt very right, and had some profound effects (although I failed miserably at drying the caps to use as amulets). I've also eaten amanitas in the past, but don't feel especially inclined to persue that path further. And then of course there are psilocybin mushrooms, et al, for visionary work, but that's a whole 'nother kettle of worms, and one that I visit increasingly rarely. 

There are probably others that I'm forgetting. Also, forgive me for my liberal interpretation of "herbs". :P

Edited by Yex, 23 December 2016 - 02:09 AM.

Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
But the heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

#37 Yex

Yex

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 02:55 AM

Oh, one more: I also love love love garlic for protection. For a while I went through a phase of eating large quantities of it raw throughout the day and before bed, but my wife was, uh, not very fond of this (she said the smell of garlic emanating fro me would wake her up at night). 

Edited by Yex, 23 December 2016 - 02:56 AM.

Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
But the heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

#38 IslandBruja

IslandBruja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 03:05 AM

but my wife was, uh, not very fond of this (she said the smell of garlic emanating fro me would wake her up at night).

:roflhard: :rofl: :roflhard:

#39 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 05:22 AM

I freaking love Mugwort.  It affects me in just the right way to assist me in meditation when burned in such a way that I am inhaling the smoke.  I also have used the essential oil on my forehead or anywhere else really that I can smell it strongly to assist me to dream.  It also helps me to relax and get to sleep when used this way.  I always turn to my husband and say "k, Im getting ready to put my stinky shit on."  :)

BY THE WAY- I have one particular vial of mugwort essential oil, that for some reason is far more effective than any other I have tried- yet I can't find that brand anywhere.  If anyone knows of a really good supplier of mugwort essential oil please share.

...From ev’ry depth of good and ill , The mystery which binds me still...— Poe

#40 IslandBruja

IslandBruja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 08:39 AM

BY THE WAY- I have one particular vial of mugwort essential oil, that for some reason is far more effective than any other I have tried- yet I can't find that brand anywhere.  If anyone knows of a really good supplier of mugwort essential oil please share.

Do you know what the species are of the different brands you have? Because several different species are referred to as "mugwort" and perhaps some suppliers are using different ones that are less efficacious for you and labeling them with the common name mugwort (kind of like cinnamon oils).

Or they could just be distilling them in a cheap way - there's a HUGE variety of quality (and lack thereof) in essential oils but unfortunately the company I like the best doesn't have common mugwort (A. vulgaris), only Artemisia pallens...