• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 CailinRua

CailinRua

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 07:48 PM

What are your favorite or most used herbs? Not necessarily for magical purposes, but in general? I drive people nuts suggesting infusions and blends because i forget that a lot of people simply prefer whatever medicines or beauty products you can buy in a store or from a doctor, and think that herbs are foo foo and dont really work.

Personally, right now Yarrow has to be my favorite. The smell of it is so good and i use it often for colds and owwies (i have a 6 year old, there is a steady happening of falls and scrapes). It's blooming everywhere where i live now and ive got bunches and bunches of it drying :biggrin:. I've also just aquired a taste for it, its that smell. I even infused coconut oil with it (and other good smellies)  to use in my hair.

I also use a lot of Mullein, however less often, but it works wonders on chest colds and clearing the lungs of gunk. I have thought of making smoking blends with it but havent tried that yet.

Another fav is raspberry leaves. Last year i was having 2 periods a month due to a hormonal imbalance(thyroid), and i drank an infusion everyday and within a couple months i was back to my predictable once a month cycle !! i was so releived because i tell you , as much as i love being a woman, and as much respect as i have for my body's natural processes, two periods a month was pretty bullshit. I find it also helps with cramps and seems to make the period go by faster, because it causes little contractions in the uterus. I drank this in my second and third trimesters also, to strengthen and tone my uterus for birth. My son was born at home in 11 hours with no trouble at all, the ease (for lack of a better word) of the birth i credit largely to raspberry leaves. i was told as a first time mother to expect a longer birth than that, but also that it would be more difficult just for the fact that i am a petite lady, and my son was a good healthy size. I always, always have this in my cuboard.

And i also love mugwort. I havent been able to appriciate the taste, haha, but i use it to amplify my dreams sometimes and it works. I've also smoked it for this purpose.

This list isnt necessarily in order, or a complete list of my favorites, these are the ones i use most often and have had the most success with. Of course it is subject to change as circumstances and needs do :smile:. How about you?

Edited by CailinRua, 18 June 2014 - 07:49 PM.

#2 Sedona

Sedona

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:07 PM

With 2 boys under the age of 4 i have a steady suppky of marigold yarrow and comfry root handy for all thiae cuts and scrapes!!!!!

#3 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:51 PM

Medicinally - mugwort, sage, comfrey, yarrow, pau d'arco, plantain, jewelweed, ginger, and echinacea. These are usually in my arsenal or close by.

Aromatherapy - lavender, chamomile, mint, and jasmine. Yessssss

Spiritually - mugwort, wormwood, sage, fleabane, jasmine, and catnip

RSKHFMY

#4 Stacey

Stacey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:34 AM

I think medicinally - Rosemary, Nettle, Comfrey, Mullein and Lavender

Magically - Mugwort, Mandrake, Lavender and Sage

"The mind is not a book, to be opened at will and examined at leisure. Thoughts are not etched on the inside of skulls, to be perused by an invader. The mind is a complex and many-layered thing." Severus Snape - HP and the Order of the Phoenix

#5 missarissa91

missarissa91

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 08:37 AM

Have to say my favorite herbs at the moment are a little staggered haha

I love oil of oregano because i have had some major issues with my throat and needing antibiotics. The pills were no longer working, but the oregano cured the issue in a week and i now keep a bottle on my shelf at all times.

I use chamomile a lot too, because my fiance has a hard time sleeping, so mixing up a tea can help, plus i add it to my Lavender loose incense sometimes.

Turmeric, a lot of people underestimate this one, but ive actually been using this to help my dad control his diabetes,and it works great. It has a lot of other great health benefits too, so its really one i think everyone should know about.

#6 SerpentWitch

SerpentWitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 07:19 PM

I love garlic, basil and nutmeg. Use them for cooking and for magical purposes.
Posted ImageWalking in Darkness

#7 Akashiel

Akashiel

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 08:16 AM

Garlic and peppers for cooking, mugwort and stinging nettle for magic+plantago for wounds.

#8 Kalinia

Kalinia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 04:25 AM

White sage- I am addicted to the smell, and lavender.

#9 Roanna

Roanna

She of the spiders and degus...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 11:29 AM

I seem to be doing a lot with basil at the moment. Everything except actually managing to grow it. That is one stubborn herb in the English climate.

Do what you believe to be the right thing and trust yourself.

Witchpathforward My website incorporating "Ask a Witch a Question," my blog and websites of witchy interest.

#10 CailinRua

CailinRua

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:39 PM

stinging nettle is another good one! its just plain good for ya. Garlic is one i also use often when i feel a cold might be coming on, knocks them out pretty quick.

Basil is hard to grow here too, for some. I can get it to start and grow with no problem, but then the hot and dry part of the year comes and the basil suffers. But, i get to enjoy it before then as much as i can. I do not like basil dried, the flavor is just bad to me, otherwise i would just dry and store the basil before it suffers the summer heat. My bf couldnt get his to take off no matter what he did though, i think its just sort of a finicky plant.

#11 Wexler

Wexler

Something wrong? Blame retrograde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 04:55 PM

Rosemary, currently.

'Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.'

'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.'

[avatar source]

#12 Hecolyte

Hecolyte

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 08:26 AM

For aromatherapy: lavender is good for me since I'm a nervous person, patchouli always resonated with me. I recently got a blend of sandalwood, spikenard, juniper and hina flower, which seems to be good at making me feel grounded and calm. It seems sandalwood is a new favorite :)

Lately I keep lavender and lemongrass oil in my old-style infuser that requires a candle underneath.. It's calming but awakening. I'm going to add something to it to "balance" this blend, but I'm working on the new combo :)

For sicknesses/generally feeling lack of energy or overworked, I usually picked the following from my garden: garlic, oregano, sage (salvia officinalis or fruticosa), rosemary. Use a ton of each ingredient (especially the first two, chopped) in water that is hot but not on a burner (the water should start cooling off since garlic's medicinal value is sensitive to heat) steep for twenty minutes and drink. :).

It sounds simple, but since I'm prone to viral infections and feeling run down, it helps a lot. 

#13 Hecolyte

Hecolyte

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 08:31 AM

stinging nettle is another good one! its just plain good for ya. Garlic is one i also use often when i feel a cold might be coming on, knocks them out pretty quick.

Basil is hard to grow here too, for some. I can get it to start and grow with no problem, but then the hot and dry part of the year comes and the basil suffers. But, i get to enjoy it before then as much as i can. I do not like basil dried, the flavor is just bad to me, otherwise i would just dry and store the basil before it suffers the summer heat. My bf couldnt get his to take off no matter what he did though, i think its just sort of a finicky plant.

I think the trick to growing basil is to water it more than you would other plants that it's used with, like oregano and parsley, to give it's roots plenty of room, and make sure the roots drain well. Basil also might like a bit of shade sometimes :). It's a more "delicate" herb; not as rugged as oregano.  Seems like obvious advice, but usually the basil plants I encounter are missing one of these :P

#14 Ogga

Ogga

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 11:25 AM

My favorite for incense use is maple blossoms (Acer platanoides).
When burnt the smell they gives is spicy cinnamon like and sweet.

#15 Aria

Aria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 08:14 AM

Storax is my favourite resin for incense-making. I love juniper berry and rosa canina for incense-making too.
St. John's Wart is one of my old-time favorite, especially oil made with it. With marigold it is excellent for burns and skin irritation (and fried marigold leaves are excellent, and in the salads!)
I find nettle excellent for exorcisms and purification, and I always have some.
When the season is right, I always use unripe walnuts at St. John's for making magical liqueur that I give to my friends and family.
I like Rosemary in the kitchen, but I think that its best use is to plant and letting it grow into a robust little tree that will make an excellent house guardian.
I can drink incredible amount of lemon verbena infusion !

La strega è un frutto di terra. (M.)

#16 Izzie

Izzie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 01:02 PM

Peppers for stomach and allergies. Mugwort, hyssop, hawthorn spiritually.
Know thyself means this, that you get acquainted with what you know, and what you can do.- Menander

#17 Lilitia

Lilitia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 12:28 AM

Mugwort, hyssop, hawthorn, sage, rose hips, henbane, wolfsbane magically

chamomile, lavender, mint, rosemary, rose (petals and hips), and jasmine for aromatherapy

basil (green and purple, I grow both and they thrive in the hot, humid Texas climate), rosemary, sage, garlic, chives, turmeric, and all sorts of peppers and chiles for cooking,

Oddly enough, I know this is a succulent, but I use aloe vera on my face instead of anti-aging crap from the store. Works great.

My mama used to tell me 'bout these
Broke, poachin' ass bitches in these streets,
So many people wanna see me fall,
Invite me to the table but don't want me to eat at all.... ---- Z'Ro the Crooked

#18 Caps

Caps

Phytokinesist

• Moderators
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 03:51 AM

In no particular grouping, magical, cooking, aroma etc.
although some are "spices" but whatever

Capsicum
Thyme
Dill
Cardamom
Camelia (tea)
Henbane
Wormwood
Hyacinth
Woundwort
Myrrh
Henbit deadnettle
Rose
Sassafrass
Cilantro
Black pepper
Cinquefoil
Red clover
Wasabi
Vanilla

"It is the still and silent sea that drowns a man." - Old Norse proverb

"It is better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war."

#19 Ogga

Ogga

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 08:02 AM

I haven't thought about it as a favorite...but i often get good results in money/job spells when I use dryed grapevine leaves. The easiest is to write down your spell on a dried lef and enpower it, then crush it to release the spel and put the powder inside the workplace you desire (preferably in the office of the one doing the hiering) ...

I also use juniper alot for protection, banishing and exorcism.

Edited by Ogga, 12 April 2015 - 08:07 AM.

#20 ShadowKing

ShadowKing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 12:36 AM

I love Datura,

I love night blooming flowers and poisonous herbs. I grow the herbs in container gardens for protection.I clip the seed pods[apples] before they can reproduce to protect the environment from their invasive nature. I keep the plant near my front door to guard against ghosts and other nastiness. The smell is also something I love about them, can't quite describe it other than a spicy variant of tuberose.

Edited by Hecataeus, 15 April 2015 - 12:39 AM.

"We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! " -Endora