for the writers on this site

witchywolf

For the writers on this site, and even not just the writers anyone who does art related stuff, whether it'd be professional or just a hobbyist; i have a question"

for the writers~ what is your genre of writing? horror? fantasy? mystery? romance?

to all artists, how do you go about discerning what is reality andwhat is an over active imagination?

coming from my perspective, i have been interested in plants, and faeries and witchcraft ever since i was a little kid. before you come get old enough to watch t.v and then you know what you all see on t.v.

write now i am currently trying to get published, and i have been working on a story about faeries and stuff for eight years, amoung a few other stories, but the faerie story is the one i am currently working on.

now i was writing this before i discovered the craft three years later. and since then i've had some encounters with the fay. 

so i am wondering, how do you make out what nature is telling you compared to what is just an over active imagination?

*sorry if i sound insane, please feel free to tell me if i am. :tongue:

I write fantasy. Overactive imagination is when I don't actually believe it's true, or am in doubt and can't find any sources who speak of something similar. It's hard to tell though.

Academia related stuff, lol. I'm a published author for a few college books, but nothing in a cool, novel/story way.  

this may sound weird, but i've been hearing the trees talk to me. not like a voice in the head, but it's just thoughts that come out of no where in my head. the most prominent one calls himself the Oakman. the witch side of me really wants to belief that i'm not crazy, because after he started talking to me, i started finding books that talk about them as tree spirits. 

since i've been writing a story about the Fay for a long time, can't tell whether i'm hearing this 'spirit' because i'm more open to the idea of their existence, or because i'm thinking of different types of Fay that i invented my own perception of what they're like. or is that one in the same?

sorry it's slightly off topic of what i originally asked. but anyone who deals with that kind of world, have you found the same thing happen to you? where it's hard to tell if it's your third eye perception or if it's something you're unintentionally making up?

WW, a lot of the writers on this site are full members who cannot see this particular section. You may get more responses if this was in "chit-chat-public". I will happily move it if you're agreeable.

Trees do talk to those who have patience & will listen. I can't tell you if you're just imagining it - only you can determine that. However, the trees that speak to me do not name themselves. It's possible you're not hearing a tree but a wood dryad who lives in that particular tree.  They seem to be a little more conversant with human traits - like names.

I write not only non-fiction but urban fantasy. Since that is sort of based on real life and city life at that, my experiences with plants & other spirits are only minimally incorporated into my writing. At least to this point - who knows what my protagonist will experience next? :D

WW, a lot of the writers on this site are full members who cannot see this particular section. You may get more responses if this was in "chit-chat-public". I will happily move it if you're agreeable.

Trees do talk to those who have patience & will listen. I can't tell you if you're just imagining it - only you can determine that. However, the trees that speak to me do not name themselves. It's possible you're not hearing a tree but a wood dryad who lives in that particular tree.  They seem to be a little more conversant with human traits - like names.

I write not only non-fiction but urban fantasy. Since that is sort of based on real life and city life at that, my experiences with plants & other spirits are only minimally incorporated into my writing. At least to this point - who knows what my protagonist will experience next? :biggrin:

yes thank you that would be great :)  i didn't really know where to put this lol 

o.k thanks :) yea that makes more sense. either that or my mind was giving it a name to relate to it better. idk... 

so when you listen to trees its more of feeling the energy of what the tree represents that you're conversing with right? like for lilac it would be a more playful and fun energy, pine would be more of a cleansing or clearing energy, that kind of thing?

so when you listen to trees its more of feeling the energy of what the tree represents that you're conversing with right? like for lilac it would be a more playful and fun energy, pine would be more of a cleansing or clearing energy, that kind of thing?

I can sense energy from just about any plant so I do differentiate between just their energy and having a conversation. There are a couple trees on our property who deign to speak with me. (Remember, many of them will live long beyond me so a human is sort of like a bird or bug flying by - not worth their notice.) Our conversations are sort of images & feelings that my brain translates into words & I project back the same way. It's hard to describe. For small plants, it's pretty much at what I consider to be normal speed. For the trees, especially the big guys, it's slow. Think of Treebeard in the Lord of the Rings. That sort of thoughtful, ponderous "speaking".

I have read of the oakmen, many years ago, a tale from England, perhaps. What I recall is that if an oak were cut, then sprouts arose from the roots, that place would be haunted by the oakmen, who were angry spirits and quite dangerous. I remember it was in a book of folk beliefs; I'm sorry to have forgotten the title, so careless of me.

I have read of the oakmen, many years ago, a tale from England, perhaps. What I recall is that if an oak were cut, then sprouts arose from the roots, that place would be haunted by the oakmen, who were angry spirits and quite dangerous. I remember it was in a book of folk beliefs; I'm sorry to have forgotten the title, so careless of me.

and in my case i found in a book about the fay that the oakmen were tree spirits, and they were helpful and protective... that's also why it's so hard to research because there's so much folklore out there. 

thank you mountain witch it helps to know that there are other people who hear the same :) i was starting to worry i was going a little crazy. i mean, it's never anything bad that i hear. it's things about how that world works and stuff like that. 

Hi Witchywolf :smile: I can feel that this is going to turn out to be a long post, sorry!

For the writers on this site, and even not just the writers anyone who does art related stuff, whether it'd be professional or just a hobbyist; i have a question"

for the writers~ what is your genre of writing? horror? fantasy? mystery? romance?

to all artists, how do you go about discerning what is reality andwhat is an over active imagination?

coming from my perspective, i have been interested in plants, and faeries and witchcraft ever since i was a little kid. before you come get old enough to watch t.v and then you know what you all see on t.v.

write now i am currently trying to get published, and i have been working on a story about faeries and stuff for eight years, amoung a few other stories, but the faerie story is the one i am currently working on.

now i was writing this before i discovered the craft three years later. and since then i've had some encounters with the fay. 

so i am wondering, how do you make out what nature is telling you compared to what is just an over active imagination?

*sorry if i sound insane, please feel free to tell me if i am. :tongue:

I do write some, although not much any more. I used to a LOT, I would spend hours and hours a day writing fantasy novels (and yes, they were all terrible).

I have always had and continue to have an extremely active imagination. I daydream constantly - about people I know, about fantasy scenarios, about things I would like to do, about "what if" situations, and so on. The thing is, I do not really daydream about spirits or fairies or talking to plants. Instead I daydream about my life path, inner growth, and so on.

I have had/am having some issues about figuring out what is in my head versus what is coming from an external source. But with some practice it is getting easier for me to figure out which is which.

I think the problem is that our imaginations aren't just imagination. To me it is the foundry where magical concepts are forged. My imagination is like an inventor's workshop when it comes to spellwork and a host of other magical and personal activities. And because we are people of power, the things we begin to forge in our imagination are given energy and can begin to manifest on their own. This is why I try to no longer focus on shitty stuff; I don't want to give it power. I am also of the opinion that focusing on something can draw it to you, so spending a ton of creative energy thinking about fairies for 8 years may bring them to your doorstep.

But there are always some key differences between my imagination and what is real. For me,

• Imagined experiences usually spring to mind quickly with no thought or reasoning and I am inclined to accept them without questioning them. They are already imbedded in my mind, and my mind is apparently a trusted source, so my conscious mind accepts these thoughts without question. If all of the sudden I am accepting something odd, I question it to see if it likely came from my imagination or not.
  • I know my mind pretty well. Not extremely well, but I know the feel of my own thoughts and ideas. Things that come from me have a distinctly "Wexler" feel about them, and that helps me figure out if some new information came from my imagination or not.
  • Information that comes from my imagination is usually too good to be true or "just as I always suspected." (This is also a good marker for me to figure out whether or not a spirit is lying to me).

I try to be proactive by differentiating between "magical research time" and "fantasy time". I no longer involve any people or spirits I know in my daydreams, and if some fantastical creature will play a speaking role I ensure I create it in my mind and don't draw from an actual source. During fantasy time I do not try to figure out how things "really work" or imagine what real encounters with certain spirits would be like. If I come across an idea that seems insightful, I write it down and focus on it during magical research time. During magical research time, I try to keep my imagination in check and I don't entertain "what if" flights of fancy where I wonder what it would be like to interact with certain beings or have certain experiences. This helps me differentiate between what I am thinking up and what I am learning.

When I go out intending to interact with something I try to keep a meditative mindset and I shoo away all the daydreaming. I keep an open mind and I am hyper-aware of what is going on with myself, such as sensations on my skin, images flashing in my mind, emotions coming to me, hearing any/all sounds, and so on. I find that the things I usually interact with do not have much patience if I try to mix them in with personal nonsense, so if I start assuming random things about the encounter based on my imagination they will get pissed and leave.

this may sound weird, but i've been hearing the trees talk to me. not like a voice in the head, but it's just thoughts that come out of no where in my head. the most prominent one calls himself the Oakman. the witch side of me really wants to belief that i'm not crazy, because after he started talking to me, i started finding books that talk about them as tree spirits. 

since i've been writing a story about the Fay for a long time, can't tell whether i'm hearing this 'spirit' because i'm more open to the idea of their existence, or because i'm thinking of different types of Fay that i invented my own perception of what they're like. or is that one in the same?

sorry it's slightly off topic of what i originally asked. but anyone who deals with that kind of world, have you found the same thing happen to you? where it's hard to tell if it's your third eye perception or if it's something you're unintentionally making up?

Plenty of people - witches or not - talk to trees and hear things back. Nothing crazy about that.

> since i've been writing a story about the Fay for a long time, can't tell whether i'm hearing this 'spirit' because i'm more open to the idea of their existence, or because

> i'm thinking of different types of Fay that i invented my own perception of what they're like.

As I said above, it is my belief that if you focus on something you can draw it to you. You've been thinking about magical trees for almost all your life and you've been putting power in to those thoughts - that sounds like a good recipe to open yourself up to tree-talk and get the attention of one. But I also think it is very easy to invent our own ideas of what things are like. The only cure for that I think is to be open and listen, and not to try and inject your own ideas of what should be happening in to the relationship.

• 2 weeks later...

I have always had and continue to have an extremely active imagination. I daydream constantly - about people I know, about fantasy scenarios, about things I would like to do, about "what if" situations, and so on. The thing is, I do not really daydream about spirits or fairies or talking to plants. Instead I daydream about my life path, inner growth, and so on.

This is so me. I create "my life" every night. One it helps me to fall asleep (I have a hard time falling asleep) and two, I am not happy with my Real Life.

To the OP: I have 3-4 books that I have been working on. I have been at a stand still for a few years. They are a series about a family of witches with vampires and werewolves in it. Most of it is fiction, but somethings in there are real. My problem is that I am not very good at writing and using words. I have re-re written them a few times. I would love to find someone who would read them and help me to write them. I have a friend who writes books and has them published, she wrote Magick for the Kitchen Witch, Magick for the Elemental Witch, and a few more, her name is Deanna Anderson.

Funny story about how she found her publishing company. When I lived in SC I met her through a mom's meet up site, we starting working my psychic circle board. One time while working the board she asked what the name of the publishing company would be and it spelled it out for her. She asked where the company was located and it said in NC. She wrote everything down and looked it up when she got home and sure enough the company is located in NC and I believe CO or about there. They one that signed her was the NC one. She had 3 signs appear to her, she said when signs appear in three's it means it is right. We also found that my Witch's name was Sarafina by working the board and Deanna seen the name Sarafina 3 different times. They were spelled different ways.

I hope one day to finish my books and maybe see them published. When I started writing them it was a time when I was getting to the end of my marriage and they really helped me get through it and actually gave me the back bone I needed to walk out of the marriage.

that's so cool :) i'm the same way i hope to one day publish my books too :) 

if you want some opinions on your work, there's a good site www.deviantart.com and you'll get some good feedback :) look me up i'm WolvenClove

I write historical fiction with a trace element of the supernatural, or in some cases, a lot. They're sort of mystery/magical realism-ish. I also have a mystery series outlined but it's straight up historical.

that's pretty cool :) i've had a story in my head that's based in the early 1600's, though it's tricky to do research on that time. internet isn't very good, and where i come from, library's don't have very good references. any advice on researching to be historically accurate?? XD

Hmmm. Can you use the Internet securely? If so, I would order a social history off Amazon - what people ate, wore, did for entertainment, etc. I would also read novels or memoirs from that time period. Which country is it set in, if you don't mind my asking?

Hey.  :)

Yeah I'm a writer. And an artist and a photographer.

I've written three books. The first. which needs help with reformatting and editing, is so big(a quarter of a million words, and I am a vicious self-editor) it ought to be either really cut down or expanded into a triology. It is a fantasy adventure, ala Tolkien, started it when I was 16 when there weren;t any female protagonists in quest stories so I decided to write one.

The second is an urban fantasy, and is reformatted finally --transferring it over from an ancient word processor program to word was--interesting.  It is set in Madison Wisconsin, my adopted home state. Well, set  at least until they start using the portals.   Well, until the portals start getting ill  :D

The third book is a fantasy. The main characters are birders. Yup, they are.  But don't let that fool you!  Lots going on!    Actually I am in the process of finally finishing it. I couldn't work on it for 16 YEARS and now, due to kidsbeing older and other things, it is just pouring out of me. Written several hundred new pages this past month.  Working on the climax as we speak, in fact working on it is why I haven't been HERE lately.

I have also written a handful of shorts.  urban fantasy/weirdness. Think Bradbury and Gaiman.  One is even a humorous piece.

I hate putting my stuff in a category.  Got to do it though.

Not published yet. Still trying to figure that one out.   I've sold art and photos.  Just a bit here and there tho gang, nothing to live on.

Imagination VS reality. Its a tough one, something no one can teach you. Just have to get the feel of it yourself. It isn;t easy. I can sit here and get so into the head of my characters that my heart rate goes up and I *feel* what they are feeling which makes me able to help my readers feel too. 

i'm about the same when it comes to not being published lol my stories aren't more Tolkien influenced as they are by the style of holly black and the Underworld series (i'm only 22 can you blame me??? XD) 

it's confusing trying to find a publisher, even where i live in Canada, any publishers you can physically hand your work into around here don't take my kind of writing, so i have to look online, and it's hard to find ones that aren't scams. all the comany's i looked at from the books i read aren't taking submissions.... 

Having done both "traditional publishing" and "self-publishing", I can't see why anyone would feel they need a publisher nowadays. Trust me, unless you're Stephen King, a publishing house isn't going to do much of anything for you and for what little they do, they take a huge chunk of your money.

I'm not saying it's an easy path but if you do your homework, you can successfully self-publish. A friend of mine shopped his - not sure of the term - fantasy? - (set in an alternate universe) book to a bunch of publishing houses and finally gave up. He didn't hire a professional cover designer or editor and has already made money - 2 weeks after publication. My 3rd herb book will see a profit this year - just a little over a year after publication & I paid for the cover, editing & ISBN. The rest, as they say, is gravy & a nice gravy it is.

Happy to chat further about my experiences via PM, WW & Lynn.

WW, I would look specifically a "time traveler's guide" style book, Liza Picard, and a history of Jamestown. Have you tried inter-library loans? They are your friend! If you can, write the book, then research the little things. There's also a comm on live journal called "little details" that's very very helpful.

Good question.

I've been published traditionally in the past. I write in various forms, but poetry seems to be my most successful genre.

Yes, being creative and a witch, one can doubt ones sanity. 

For me, I can tell the difference between my imagination and my gifts. My imagination / ideas are just that, thoughts in my head. I can follow the thought pattern. 

With spirits in general -- I feel them in air (whether I see them or not -- which is about 50/50). 

My gifts resonate with a physical reaction, whether it be chills, hair on end, beating heart, heightened senses . Sharper sight / hearing/ smell, like I'm suddenly transformed into a wild animal on high- alert --  it's instantaneous and not within my conscience control. 

I look like a total freak in public when this happens, but I am getting a 'read' on something important. The entire mundane world disappears. 

Sense of smell is also something people seem to discount, but try not to.  It's a very primal and helpful tool. When you smell something other's don't ... pay attention.  For me, spirits are involved. 

Sometimes I see a mist around me and my surroundings, too -- another worldly type vision that is very specific to moving between planes. 

So, with these manifestations, I can FEEL what's real vs. my imagination.

hope this helps. 

WW, I would look specifically a "time traveler's guide" style book, Liza Picard, and a history of Jamestown. Have you tried inter-library loans? They are your friend! If you can, write the book, then research the little things. There's also a comm on live journal called "little details" that's very very helpful.

inter library loans??? i've never heard of that. and thank you nikki that helps a lot :smile:

This topic has moved around some, so I'm not sure where I come in...other than the original question? I wrote children's fiction (enchanted adventure, YA) I also write 3 act stageplays, again with a pagan theme.

My main thrust is my art, has been professionally for 20years. Hard to pin down here how I would define it. As a fine artist I paint/make what interests me, I don't do commissions (except for the plays ). My theme to date is erotic poetic; never fantasy, always a deep seated personal opinion based on my own emotions and needs. I'm lucky, my work sells well, though often the cost to my psyche is high. My craft and path, I wear on my sleeve, I neither hide my views, name or face...in short I paint what I am. Hopefully, I don't offend too many people but I totally paint from the heart and gnosis; I live for my work before everything else. The divine feminine is my motif in most cases. I believe I am a feminist too, though being I man...how far can I really go?

Archived