• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#61 LongGone

LongGone

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 08:24 PM

This is an interesting post. I had a very cautious teacher when I started my path years ago. One of the first lessons I got was make a Witch's Bottle for protection. I also kept a selection of spells for cleansing, banishing and exorcising because the magic I used at the time relied heavily on summoning spirits. In my experience even if your intentions are completely pure, spirits can be tricky to deal with. Negative spirits can attach themselves when you are working white magic just because your magic attracted their attention also. I think it is a good idea to regularly cleanse your workspace or entire house and self if needed periodically to make sure you don't have anything unwanted hanging about. Its also a good idea to add items to your altar and spells to ward negativity and anything unwanted as you work. Salt or eggshells are very easy to acquire and go along way in basic cleansing and protection.

#62 Sonofcy

Sonofcy

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 11:26 PM

Good posts here.  I'm one of those people who have little natural skill in this craft, I tend to get very little in actual results.  Having said that, I've always been careful.  When active in the past, I've always performed banishments in my home, especially when my children came along.  In later years, I became much less active - the days it seemed had just too few hours - so I just created a minor servant, a  magistellus  to protect the house.

#63 Thunderbug

Thunderbug

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 12:17 AM

Ok. I need a little help here. I am very new, and searching the threads and thought this might be a good place for this post. I feel confident in what I did but I think I'm experiencing some type of energy rebound. Not necessarily bad but a rebound nontheless.

So I tend to work with energy and thought and utilize nature to help me amplify that energy and thought and send it to a particular place for very particular reasons. I've done this countless times since I was a child but without much dedication or planning. Anyway, this time I have a friend that needed a boost in a major way. Timing was of the essence, as in I had very little time. It was a waxing gibbous, which was pretty good for what I was going for so I had that in my favor. I was planning for nighttime so I could focus more have some privacy. But, this unexpected huge storm started rolling in (I'm sure I'm not alone but I'm very connected to all storms). I thought perfect, weather is my thing (for lack of a better word). I gathered my minimal props to help me focus and rushed them out onto my deck (in view of the neighbors, but whatever). I started and the storm amplified, so much so it was dangerous to stay outside. I moved my gear into the garage and continued. The storm swept by I felt satiated. I felt like the energy I sent out was pure and thoughtful and directed even though I had to improvise a bit. I'm confident in what I did. Whether it "works" in entirety remains to be seen. Time will tell.

But since all that attempt at harnessing some energy strange little things have been happening. Electronics keep bizarrely going on the fritz for me. One of my sons trucks keeps making noise at me even though I've turned it off. There's other little things, too. Nothing nefarious...just strange.

I know I was in a rush but time was of the essence. I don't know exactly how to "protect" myself, but figured there was so much positivity it didn't matter.

Is this a rebound of all that energy?
Does it mean it won't "work" in entirety? I know parts of it worked.
What are some ways I can protect myself in the future?

Thanks, I'm new here. If I posted in the wrong place can you kindly direct me?

#64 KnellDragon

KnellDragon

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 07:54 AM

It sounds like you absorbed some of that energy into yourself. It sounds like you need a good grounding, which is releasing all that excess energy back into the ground exactly like the storm you worked with does. After that those occurrences should stop the extra energy now dissipated. Most of the time too much energy build up can cause headaches and pains in some people, so be on the lookout for that too

#65 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 04:32 PM

@ OP

There are several threads that explore Excess Energy, as a few witches experience overloads... but such threads aren't DO THIS that will address your issue or fix it.

And crows... there's a ton of info on crows.

Do a Search and you'll see.

Unless I'm mistaken, your concerns don't seem to belong in this thread. This topic is a more REFLECTIVE thread, not a Help Me thread.

Perhaps the Mods can move the last 5 or 6 posts?

Learning your way TW around takes time.

Edited by Nikki, 17 July 2016 - 04:33 PM.

The difference between Medicine and Poison is the Dose. :oil-bottle:
I Love you as certain Dark Things are to be Loved,
In Secret, Between the Shadow and the Soul.
- Pablo Neruda

#66 witchynovice

witchynovice

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:02 PM

This. This is just an amazing post. It's the fear that's held me back all these years from beginning on this path. And reading your stories is giving me a good, healthy dose of fear again. But I take courage from them, too. Shit will happen, but it's all part of making you who you are. Isn't that what they always say?

#67 AlyssaBlackthorne

AlyssaBlackthorne

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 04:07 PM

In my experience it is best to think about the ramifications of any type of working before setting out and making it reality. By properly understanding your own intentions for wanting to do that specific working, sometimes you'll realize that it wasn't needed at all.

In my own practice words and the wordings of my spells don't contain the power, it is my own intent and clear will. Put more reflection into your craft and ponder your own wants and needs. 

Careful consideration does usually limit the splash back and "negative" effects of spells.

#68 goosegirl

goosegirl

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 06:39 PM

Thank you for this piece of advice. I have been practicing two years, I feel that I am new to witchcraft. However, Mother Nature is able to communicate with me and I with her. It's a feeling when she takes a spell, and responds to it. She expects me to respond to her, also, because we have a relationship. For example, I can't put a sprig of rosemary in a jar of vegetables to pickle without the water in the vinegar grabbing a hold of my intention and sucking it down. If I haven't set an intention in my mind, like an linguistic expression of the intellect, it will grab whatever desire is in my heart. And that is dangerous, because I could hate or love. 

#69 Seekeroftheoldones

Seekeroftheoldones

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 02:01 AM

Good posts here. I'm one of those people who have little natural skill in this craft, I tend to get very little in actual results. Having said that, I've always been careful. When active in the past, I've always performed banishments in my home, especially when my children came along. In later years, I became much less active - the days it seemed had just too few hours - so I just created a minor servant, a [/size]magistellus to protect the house.[/size]

I am the opposite of you. I am what I guess the less popular term is "Natural Witch" or "Of The Blood". Things just.. happen the way I want them to (or they happen, at least). I don't do protection on myself, I can't remember the last time I did anything elaborate, I just.. will it. Not even that focused. It's not always a good thing, however, as it sometimes means people get sick, planes get delayed etc, without that being my intention. I just don't want someone to go to work, and they end up with a fever for three days, or I realize my plane landing coincides with someone I don't want to meet, and it gets delayed. I think I may have accidentally banished a friend of mine, because I needed space from her, and now she is doing.. crazy things, to say the least. I really need to get this under control again. I recently (early this year) reconnected with what I am, and ever since, things have been going haywire around me. I am trying to be more careful and deliberate with my intentions. It's as if I forgot my power, and now that I am opening up that part if me again, it's shooting out with every passing thought.

And I am definitely not a new Witch, I've been at this since I was a child.

Edited by Seekeroftheoldones, 12 August 2017 - 02:02 AM.

#70 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 05:39 AM

Seekeroftheoldones- Is this going to turn into a red thread/silver thread discussion? Because those almost always turn into redundant pissing contests and it won't fly here - just a heads up.

Also who your great great witchy grandma so and so was has little to do with protections or how your workings go now. Your post implied some sense of "blooded is better" and that bothers me to no end. Many skills can be passed down family lines but the special "things just happen" effects you are describing are just the effects of witchcraft. Just means you are a witch. Here that is absolutely nothing special, welcome to the forum of almost entirely witch members.

RSKHFMY

#71 westofthemoon

westofthemoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 06:04 AM

^^This. I'd plus one that if I could.
Wouldst thou like to Live Deliciously? ~ "The VVitch"

Say what you know, do what you must, come what may.

#72 FrozenThunderbolt

FrozenThunderbolt

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:29 AM

<snip>

If I could go back, I would take away some of the promises I made and let others continue. I think they have all caused me grief but I believe some of them were (and are) necessary.

<Snip>

It is my belief that not only promises affect you, but also statements of intent.

<snip>

As a witch, the things you do and say matter. Even the things you think matter in a real way. I think you can only say "never mind, I take it back" so many times before it reflects back on you. And I think in a lot of situations you can say "I'm out" all you want, but whatever you're working with isn't going to let you free of your promise. I have learned that before I make magical statements of intent, or oaths or promises, I really need to think long and hard about what I am getting myself in to. Even if I can't comprehend all the possible consequences I still need to spend a long time thinking it over.

*************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

This is IMO an extremely important point.

In one fantasy mythos I enjoy Dwarves have a 'grudge book' in which is written everything that is owed, to, and by the owner of the book.

As I am aware my memory for the minutia of daily life is poor, this is a concept that I have embraced. I now keep a 'Troth' book in which I record what I have promised to entities, both meat based (human) and the meatless (spirits and deities). I am now much more careful to fulfill my obligations and commitments I have made.

"Jack of all trades, master of none, though oftentimes better than master of one." You may call me Jed.  

#73 IslandBruja

IslandBruja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:19 AM

*************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

This is IMO an extremely important point.

In one fantasy mythos I enjoy Dwarves have a 'grudge book' in which is written everything that is owed, to, and by the owner of the book.

As I am aware my memory for the minutia of daily life is poor, this is a concept that I have embraced. I now keep a 'Troth' book in which I record what I have promised to entities, both meat based (human) and the meatless (spirits and deities). I am now much more careful to fulfill my obligations and commitments I have made.

That's definitely a good way of doing it if one is prone to "spending" more than one's able to very easily (and accurately) remember off of the top of one's head... thinking of it like money, it's much easier to get oneself into crushing debt if one is not keeping careful track of one's expenditures. Just the act of writing things down makes the reality sink in more, and I think it makes people more careful - with money or other debts like those referenced in this thread....

(Perhaps that's part of the reason so many people are loathe to keep diligent records? They like to be blissfully ignorant of the reality of their circumstance? And, it probably gives them a much more believable (for themselves at least) "oh woe is me, why is this happening to me??" victim mentality when the debts are inevitably called in.)

#74 Tricycle

Tricycle

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 01:19 PM

This is such a good topic! I'm still very much in the learning stage. I was too afraid to try very much at first. The first time I did a spell for someone I wasn't happy with, I went to bed and as I was falling asleep, I had the most terrifying dream about harm coming to my partner. I woke up and freaked out about what I had done.

The spell worked amazingly well, and nothing bad happened, except for the dream. I came into this path not as a wiccan, but I'd certainly looked into it in the past. I didn't believe the threefold path on a conscious level, but I think, over the years, hearing so many people, both wiccans and christians having discourse along the lines of, 'ooh, black magic, you don't know what you're messing with,' I think subconsciously I had taken on board that I was doing something I shouldn't, and I suppose there was the fear of the unknown.

I think I felt the way a new gun user might feel; that I would shoot my foot off by accident as I learned, and I think the dream was my guilt and fear.

This topic has given me much food for thought about the intentions we set and the words we use. So far, touch wood, nothing terrible has happened. One spell didn't work as strongly as I'd hoped which was disappointing, but nothing bad happened to me personally. I've yet to learn why it didn't work as well, perhaps I need to sit down and work it out. I like to try to think of several different approaches/intentions for a spell first, and then I keep narrowing it down. I weigh up the outcomes of each as much as I can. I also divine first, and that helps me more than anything else. It's also really good for highlighting both wanted and unwanted outcomes of various spell ideas, so I'm very grateful for that. Quite often after divining, I will take a completely different approach with my spell, and so far, it's always been better than my original idea.

The thing that scares me is when I do make those mistakes we must learn from, in the future. I try not to obsess about that though, because I don't want to call that fear to me. I'm going to stop now, because I think I'm babbling :D

#75 Seekeroftheoldones

Seekeroftheoldones

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 01:35 PM

It was definitely not my intention to be superior to anyone. We all have our beliefs, some of mine are unpopular. We all have our strengths and weaknesses.

#76 Llyr

Llyr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 11:15 AM

I am the opposite of you. I am what I guess the less popular term is "Natural Witch" or "Of The Blood". Things just.. happen the way I want them to (or they happen, at least). I don't do protection on myself, I can't remember the last time I did anything elaborate, I just.. will it. Not even that focused. It's not always a good thing, however, as it sometimes means people get sick, planes get delayed etc, without that being my intention. I just don't want someone to go to work, and they end up with a fever for three days, or I realize my plane landing coincides with someone I don't want to meet, and it gets delayed. I think I may have accidentally banished a friend of mine, because I needed space from her, and now she is doing.. crazy things, to say the least. I really need to get this under control again. I recently (early this year) reconnected with what I am, and ever since, things have been going haywire around me. I am trying to be more careful and deliberate with my intentions. It's as if I forgot my power, and now that I am opening up that part if me again, it's shooting out with every passing thought.

And I am definitely not a new Witch, I've been at this since I was a child.

Experienced or not, it seems you don't take the consequences of your actions very seriously, if you feel that people are getting sick because of your witchcraft then you should feel accountable. This could be a serious thing because you don't know what ailments or illnesses other people have and try to hide with medication. If they have an illness that you don't know about and you knowingly "don't want them to go to work" and they get hit with a fever for a few days, added to a potential ongoing illness it could be detrimental to their health and even fatal.

Even getting a plane delayed.... how  do you know that someone isn't on that plane having had a phone call that a parent only has a few hours to live and they are trying to get somewhere to see them for their last hour/s?

Considering you seem to have a strong belief in your powers and the result of your will, I think your lack of awareness about the direct consequences of your actions shows a lack of maturity and an ignorance of others wants and needs. Maybe that is the type of person that you are and who you want to be, I don't know, I don't really care and I am no judge.

But perhaps it would be wise to take things a little more seriously and attempt to pinpoint your power like a laser rather than a big wave buggering up everyone else shit.

#77 Lyra

Lyra

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 06:23 PM

I read this when I first found this forum and it really helped me put more thought into what I was doing. Thank you for taking the time to share with everyone.