#41 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 02:48 PM

ime, you get what you ask for.

Some, say magic comes about in unexpected ways, which can be true to an extent. But, often, the witch did not fully realize what the wording of the spell was actually putting into action. The witch had one thing in his/her mind, and something else came out of their mouth/hand, which was not congruent with what they had in their mind. Also, to know how to make them congruent is dependent on knowing as much as you can about the situation at hand, for example DG's example of the spell for the couple's happiness. Divination can help this.

( Emphasis is Mine )

I would suggest that a Witch learn another verbal language, or learn hand gestures not so readily " familiar ".  I feel it safe to say that we all have " our first Language ".. or we all accept the universal hand sign of " Thumbs Up / Okay ".  In some countries that " hand sign " of " Okay ".... is not accepted as a welcoming thing, it is a great insult. Some workings require a more powerful action verb, not just a fly by your pants verb that suits the emotion at the time. 

Take the word " Slaughter " for instance.  Brings up pictures.... right ?  It also means, to " nullify " , " quash ", " annul " .  What would that word ( Slaughter ) paint a picture of lets say in the Danish Language ?  Would it be as what the picture has been painted, in the English language ?  I'll be the first to admit that when I think or use the word " Slaughter".... that I sure didn't see the application to the word, " annul ", that word was a different picture all together.

Catch my drift ?

Regards,

Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#42 Wexler

Wexler

Something wrong? Blame retrograde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 02:52 PM

Gypsy! It is good to see you :)

'Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.'

'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.'

[avatar source]

#43 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 03:11 PM

I caught it.

It is good to see you and Autumn Moon again.

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#44 Caps

Caps

Phytokinesist

• Moderators
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 05:15 AM

Good thread.  I had some serious problems when I was 18 and 19 not realizing what exactly I was doing with myself and I paid dearly...it took years before I was able to correct the pitfall I had made during a series of stupid Crafting decisions and I may even still be under the haze of one in particular.  I must say that some of those experiences have lessened my fears about "jumping into the deep end" now that I'm older but I know not to plunge into something in haste without doing a lot of preparation and meditation....I say that but I still lack patience sometimes.

"It is the still and silent sea that drowns a man." - Old Norse proverb

"It is better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war."

#45 RoseRed

RoseRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 05:51 PM

LOL  that's two of us.

We can't say that we're unprepared for the consequences anymore.  Even with that lack of patience we have an idea how far we're willing to go.

#46 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 05:05 PM

( Emphasis is Mine )

I would suggest that a Witch learn another verbal language, or learn hand gestures not so readily " familiar ".  I feel it safe to say that we all have " our first Language ".. or we all accept the universal hand sign of " Thumbs Up / Okay ".  In some countries that " hand sign " of " Okay ".... is not accepted as a welcoming thing, it is a great insult. Some workings require a more powerful action verb, not just a fly by your pants verb that suits the emotion at the time. 

Take the word " Slaughter " for instance.  Brings up pictures.... right ?  It also means, to " nullify " , " quash ", " annul " .  What would that word ( Slaughter ) paint a picture of lets say in the Danish Language ?  Would it be as what the picture has been painted, in the English language ?  I'll be the first to admit that when I think or use the word " Slaughter".... that I sure didn't see the application to the word, " annul ", that word was a different picture all together.

Catch my drift ?

Regards,

Gypsy

I once tried a spell in French, when I was first learning it, and it went...interestingly. You must watch accents... for example, take the word "beaucoup". It means, "very much" essentially, as in "merci beaucoup" or "thank you very much". When I was first learning French, I pronounced it: "bow-cu" and was quickly told this was VERY MUCH SO not correct, the pronunciation was actually: "bow-cou". This matter because the way I pronounced it sounded like the words "beau cul" which essentially means "handsome ass".... I was saying, "thank you, handsome ass" :(

I did have success with making my own written language though! It took more effort to use it and in a way, changed my thinking to be very direct. It felt like I put more of myself and my intention into making it, sort of like making a sigil and the effort put into the construction...or crafts, and taking time on the project.

RSKHFMY

#47 SachaX

SachaX

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 06:33 PM

I'm going to give my 2 cents worth on this topic. I think my opinion will be in the minority, but it is nonetheless the result of all my years of practice.

We all have our own gifts which we likely used before we "did a magick spell". If your natural gifts didn't cause harm, then why would beginning to practice witchcraft have anything to do with having to watch out for what you've done in a spell. You are still capitalizing on your gifts. The whole "dark side" is such a fabricated ruse invented by the fearful.

Some people fail to realize that bad things happen to people as a result of the universe just doing it's thing. Some bad thing that happens (after you have done a spell as a newbie) isn't the result of any oops you may have done in casting your spell. Magick coming back to you in a harmful way is called karma. And you know what karma is? It is from a completely different cultural belief system that has nothing to do with witches - unless you are an oriental witch.

I wouldn't walk down the street and hit a random person in the face just the same as I wouldn't cast a spell against some random person who I don't know, have never seen, who has absolutely relevance in my life.  Electricity in your wall outlet is neither good nor bad, it just is. And if you want to use that energy to hurt someone irrelevant than that is your choice. 

The old wise ones are going to tell you a few things. Firstly that a witch doesn't randomly do bad things to people who are irrelevant, Secondly to take responsibility for your actions while conducting the arts. Man up/Woman up or get out of the cauldron (pun intended). If you think you've been bewitched, then witch them back. And thirdly if you cause harm in an unintended way then it wasn't you who did it, it was either a witch against you, or it was just life - or a local person who needs a pitchfork in the neck. jk on the last one!

Anyway... a newbie isn't tapping into instant power they didn't have before, and your mind already knows what you are casting whether your mouth says the right words or not. 

With time: weapons of war disintegrate, the hand drops the pen, but Magick will always be. ~ Me

#48 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 10:12 PM

I once tried a spell in French, when I was first learning it, and it went...interestingly. You must watch accents... for example, take the word "beaucoup". It means, "very much" essentially, as in "merci beaucoup" or "thank you very much". When I was first learning French, I pronounced it: "bow-cu" and was quickly told this was VERY MUCH SO not correct, the pronunciation was actually: "bow-cou". This matter because the way I pronounced it sounded like the words "beau cul" which essentially means "handsome ass".... I was saying, "thank you, handsome ass" :sad:

:lolol:

#49 RoseRed

RoseRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:05 PM

I'm going to give my 2 cents worth on this topic. I think my opinion will be in the minority, but it is nonetheless the result of all my years of practice.

We all have our own gifts which we likely used before we "did a magick spell". If your natural gifts didn't cause harm, then why would beginning to practice witchcraft have anything to do with having to watch out for what you've done in a spell. You are still capitalizing on your gifts.

Not all gifts awaken at the same time or at birth.  How would you know if anyone's natural gifts caused harm or not?  That's a broad generalization and not entirely accurate.

The whole "dark side" is such a fabricated ruse invented by the fearful.

I call bullshit on that.  I've walked on the Dark Side and occasionally go there to play.  I think that most everyone goes Dark Side for a while.  There are things that you can only learn there.  Not everyone comes back from it.  I don't fear it.  There have been times I've reveled in it. 

Some people fail to realize that bad things happen to people as a result of the universe just doing it's thing. Some bad thing that happens (after you have done a spell as a newbie) isn't the result of any oops you may have done in casting your spell. Magick coming back to you in a harmful way is called karma. And you know what karma is? It is from a completely different cultural belief system that has nothing to do with witches - unless you are an oriental witch.

Magic coming back to you in a bad way can also be a result of poor spellcrafting - especially when it's in direct relation to whatever spell was cast.  The amount of collateral damage that a witch is willing to live with will depend upon said witch's personal moral code and experience. 

I wouldn't walk down the street and hit a random person in the face just the same as I wouldn't cast a spell against some random person who I don't know, have never seen, who has absolutely relevance in my life.  Electricity in your wall outlet is neither good nor bad, it just is. And if you want to use that energy to hurt someone irrelevant than that is your choice. 

The old wise ones are going to tell you a few things.

My Grandmother was an Old, Wise One.  You shouldn't be speaking for her either.  Honestly, I find that sentence irritates the shit out of me.  Who are you to speak for an entire group of people that you are not a part of?  Do you have any idea that the Old, Wise Ones would tell different things to different people based on where they were on their path?  That what one may have said to you is not what they would have said to another?  The next paragraph where you give the advice of the Old Ones isn't what I was taught.

Firstly that a witch doesn't randomly do bad things to people who are irrelevant,

This is going to depend entirely upon each individual witch and their own scruples and moral code.  For the most part, waste not want not, fits well here.  Why waste energy on someone/thing that's completely irrelevant?  Sometimes they do - it's called target practice.

Secondly to take responsibility for your actions while conducting the arts. Man up/Woman up or get out of the cauldron (pun intended). If you think you've been bewitched, then witch them back.

This really should be 2 and 3.  I agree with taking responsibility for ones actions - whether they be mundane or magical.

The latter is bad advice.  If you think you've been bewitched - do your research.  Why would someone be after you?  Think long and hard if it's in retaliation to something your actually done.  You know - that personal responsibility thing.  I never suggest going off half cocked when one thinks they're being attacked.  That's just a really bad battle plan.

And thirdly if you cause harm in an unintended way then it wasn't you who did it, it was either a witch against you, or it was just life - or a local person who needs a pitchfork in the neck. jk on the last one!

What a wonderful cop-out that is.  According to this I could do a piss poor spell, suck at accuracy and when it doesn't work as planned I can blame it on Life.  Please.

Anyway... a newbie isn't tapping into instant power they didn't have before, and your mind already knows what you are casting whether your mouth says the right words or not. 

Again - these should be 2 separate points.

Really?  Are you absolutely sure about that in every single situation?  Damn!  You must See far and wide.

It happens.  Specific inherent gifts can wake up, doors within oneself can open and BAM!  you have a new set of abilities and have to figure out how to use them.

Your intention, if not backed by your wording, can wreck havoc.  I've helped people clean up the messes they've made because of sloppy spellcasting.  I had to clean up my own when I first started casting.

(edited to bold the red.  too hard to read in the quote box)

(still too hard to read.  switched to blue)

Edited by RoseRed, 18 August 2014 - 02:12 PM.

#50 Wexler

Wexler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:44 PM

Some bad thing that happens (after you have done a spell as a newbie) isn't the result of any oops you may have done in casting your spell.

Sorry Alex, I have to disagree here. People can miscast spells and have bad things happen to them as a result. Magic is a skill and not everyone gets it perfectly right out of the gate. I have had tons of bad things happen to me as the result of poorly cast spells, and it wasn't all the universe just giving me a spanking, either. I feel that you are suggesting here that witches can never miscast magic and that anything bad which happens is just a random hiccup of the universe that day, but this is something I don't agree with. I'm with you on the karma thing though, I don't see that has being relevant to witchcraft.

Yeah, but they ARE trying to consciously control it for the first time. I can kind of agree that when the power is unconscious it is more 'pure to form' and it is harder to screw up (except you may not understand what you're getting yourself in to), but when you decide to take the reins and try it for yourself, you may get bucked from the horse a few times. I'd have to say my worst magical disasters were when my mind had one idea and my words were saying another, so in my experience I can't trust intent to get things right for me.

The whole "dark side" is such a fabricated ruse invented by the fearful.

I think I disagree with you. I say 'think' because I don't think I've ever been there. But, having practiced for over twenty years, perhaps you may agree that the craft is not just all love and light? Dark parts do exist, and while they can be propagated by the fearful they are also propagated by those who have been there and want to warn others. Surely you do not counsel your students that they can never miscast a spell and that 'dark' magic doesn't exist?

[avatar source]

#51 SachaX

SachaX

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:37 PM

Thank you @RoseRed and @Wexler for your thoughtful and wise remarks. It's nice to hear from other's who've practiced the craft. Around my parts it all novices and I am unable to bounce intellectual conversations about the advanced workings of magick.

I'd say you gave it to me in spades!

Again... thank you guys. Magick can be a bitch sometimes and she is not one to easily control, or to tell you the full story.

I look forward to further conversations about topics with the both of you, as well as anyone else on here, and I hope that together we can figure it all out.

With time: weapons of war disintegrate, the hand drops the pen, but Magick will always be. ~ Me

#52 RoseRed

RoseRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:58 PM

Sounds good to me.  :vhappywitch:

#53 Wexler

Wexler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 04:43 PM

Again... thank you guys. Magick can be a bitch sometimes and she is not one to easily control, or to tell you the full story.

Now that I can agree with

[avatar source]

#54 Hecolyte

Hecolyte

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 08:16 AM

I wish I had read this years ago. I may have (or may not, lol) heeded this advice and gone more slowly and carefully, and worked on myself rather than going in unprepared for what happens if ____(insert the things that you will never be told by the majority of people or literature in "mainstream")_____. 

#55 SachaX

SachaX

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 12:00 AM

I wish I had read this years ago. I may have (or may not, lol) heeded this advice and gone more slowly and carefully, and worked on myself rather than going in unprepared for what happens if ____(insert the things that you will never be told by the majority of people or literature in "mainstream")_____. 

---

Ahhh, it can't be that bad! I'm still alive and made it though all that.

Jk

Listen to those around you.... wisdom sure to come soon.

#56 Watersiren

Watersiren

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 10:53 AM

Now that I can agree with

Aint that the truth

#57 Nox

Nox

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 05:57 PM

Thank you for this topic, as newbie I always try to focus on safety and I double-check everything before make a step. I'm probably even too much cautious, but I realize I could harm myself or those around me if I do something wrong. I don't like those who say "just do it now!" because they seem to careless and could put new witches on dangerous paths. Someday a mistake will be made and the witch must be able to face and fix the problem, but it's not a good excuse to jump in action before understand every single aspect of the matter.

#58 Wexler

Wexler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 03:20 PM

I agree Nox. Everyone makes mistakes. But I am not sure it is possible to understand every single aspect of an issue. Rather I would hope to understand as much as I can.

Although lately, I am of the 'act now, fix later' breed. Despite making this topic :P

[avatar source]

#59 RoseRed

RoseRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 03:54 PM

Old habits, huh?

It is so GOOD to see you, hun! :vhappywitch:

#60 EliseN

EliseN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 07:50 PM

Thank you for this topic, as newbie I always try to focus on safety and I double-check everything before make a step. I'm probably even too much cautious, but I realize I could harm myself or those around me if I do something wrong. I don't like those who say "just do it now!" because they seem to careless and could put new witches on dangerous paths. Someday a mistake will be made and the witch must be able to face and fix the problem, but it's not a good excuse to jump in action before understand every single aspect of the matter.

I agree - it's good to double-check steps. A few years ago, I did some major spellwork that involved a negative aspect to it. Well, the spell seemed to miss it's target somehow and I swear - it backfired back at my family. We survived and dealt with consquences but I am very unlikely to attempt that sort of activity in future. It's definitely worth it to go slowly.