76 replies to this topic

#1 Wexler

Wexler

Something wrong? Blame retrograde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 11:59 PM

I don't think we've had a lot of beginners around here lately, but I know a lot of people without accounts read TW, so I want to share some of my thoughts.

I recently got myself in to a steaming heap of trouble because I thought that as a newbie witch, I lacked the power or capability to get myself in to "real" trouble. I bought in to a watered-down version of witchcraft because the real thing was just a little too big and scary for comfort, and by sticking my head in the sand I caused myself a lot of grief.

I think that there is a general idea that young, inexperienced, or new witches shouldn't worry about getting in to hot water because we don't have the ability to stir up real trouble. And I think that a lot of folks like me hold the idea that if you don't intend certain things to happen, they simply won't be a problem. I especially have a bone to pick with the idea that only real witches have the ability to cause problems, as if everyone else shouldn't be concerned about safety or responsibility at all.

Suppose you have recently decided to take up hiking, but in your area there are only unmarked trails. It doesn't matter if you are a real hiker, once you start wandering those crooked paths you are going to find yourself in the forest. And there is no reason to assume that only real, experienced hikers can find the dangerous, unsafe trails.

It is impossible to avoid every pitfall. And in fact, messing up is how we learn. But it is especially dangerous to approach witchcraft with the idea of "I'm a beginner so there is no harm where I tread." Or even more stupidly, "I'm probably not a real witch so I don't need to worry about all that dangerous stuff."

The problem with the idea that only real witches (as opposed to frivolous witches, I suppose) can cause trouble is not only is it obviously false, but that there are probably plenty of people who don't know they are 'real' until they have already gotten themselves in to trouble. Take me, for example - up until a few months ago I identified myself as a mundane person who used petty magic tricks to supplement my normal, mundane life. And I was kind of happy about this, because real witchcraft is dangerous and scary. I carried on doing whatever frivolous magic I liked with no concern for danger until I woke up one morning in a nasty situation that I needed a heck of a lot of help to fix. And if some people hadn't shown up and spent a few weeks helping me, I could have caused some actual lasting damage in my life.

Witches are not the only people who use magic or who can work with unseen worlds. It doesn't matter if you are a witch or not, if you start to flip switches things are going to happen. It doesn't matter if you believe you are a real witch or not, or if you believe you don't have very much power, or if you are just dabbling and don't want to be a witch at all. You should treat magic with respect and with the understanding that you can cause disasters without meaning to, no matter your level of experience.

Do you know how they say that a gun is always loaded? Maybe we should say every witch is dangerous. The idea that a new witch doesn't need to be concerned with magical responsibility and safety is as ridiculous as saying someone doesn't need to learn gun safety until they become a perfect shot.

Witchcraft is wonderful, but it is also pretty scary. And it is very easy for people like me to say, "only big bad witches need to worry about that", or, "if I don't mess with X, Y, and Z then nothing bad will happen." Because facing the truth - that everyone needs to worry about that, or that bad things can happen no matter what you do - is upsetting and frightening. And if someone directly told me "you don't need to worry about that, you're just a new witch" then I would have said "thank God" and put those worries out of my head entirely, until they came to bite me in the ass.

Everyone makes mistakes and gets in to really bad situations. That is the nature of the crooked path. But there are things that can be done to help ensure you find your way back to civilization in one piece. In my opinion:

Metaphorically speaking, don't get really excited about your new hiking boots and rush off to a new, unknown trail. If you go too quickly you may find yourself in the middle of a dangerous path. And you may be trapped there for some time until you can feel your way out - especially if you forgot how you got there in the first place.

Go carefully and with purpose. Put thought in to what you do. You will never be able to avoid every mistake, but if you know why you went somewhere you will have an easier time finding your way out again.

Make note of every step you take. It may seem irrelevant now, but sooner or later you may need to map out your path. A problem you find yourself in now may have started weeks or even months ago with a single sloppy spell or unwise promise. If you can't see the entire problem, you can't fix the entire problem. In witchcraft, nothing is irrelevant and the things you do in your mundane life matter.

And lastly, intent is not the highest law of the universe. If you throw a bucket of water at your friend, you can intend whatever the heck you want but he's still going to get wet. Intent can easily be misdirected or misguided in the context of a spell or magical working. For example, I accidentally got in to some trouble with a bobcat skull. I didn't intend for the bobcat spirit to be involved at all, but because I said and did things to awaken it - guess what, a bobcat spirit showed up. You can think about making pork roast all you want, but if you are following a recipe for fried chicken you will be sorely disappointed. If you are in the middle of casting a nasty and dangerous spell, whether or not you realize it is dangerous, you can't just think "and it harm none" in the back of your head and expect that nobody will get hurt. You threw the water and now people are going to get wet.

If I could say anything, it would be don't be afraid to explore. That is the adventure of witchcraft. Don't be afraid of making mistakes or causing disasters, it's going to happen. We have the power to correct the problems we make even if it is hard going, and in the end hopefully we grow from the experience. But also do not go skipping blindly in to the forest, believing that your bubble of white light will keep you totally safe. Pitfalls await us all and it's a bitch to hit the bottom still believing that nothing bad can happen to you.

'Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.'

'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.'

[avatar source]

#2 Christine

Christine

Marsh Wiggle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 02:34 AM

Wexler, I sure would like to get my hands on (around the neck of) whoever gave you the idea that you were/could be just a little witch. It's like being just a little pregnant. I... oooh... I am fuming.

I must chill. Okay, thank you for the insight, and I'll be sure to see to it that my spawn and their ilk-- any in my care-- never get a harmful notion like that.

(Wanting to say something positive/helpful but still fuming)

Don't drink from the river, drink from the well.

#3 Guest_monsnoleedra_*

Guest_monsnoleedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2014 - 03:05 AM

I used to use the concept of a chemist to those I taught or guided.  They may not hold a degree or certification but they can still put two chemicals together and cause an explosion or a smelly situation.  Try to instill they need to experiment and practice things but need to be aware of the parts and what each can do and will do.

#4 Christine

Christine

Marsh Wiggle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 03:19 AM

That is a potent simile. I like it.

#5 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 04:51 AM

This is a very good point. One of my first adventures was when I was very young. I knew I could feel spirits and felt the courage to see who they were. Assuming because I could talk to them, they wouldn't hurt me (young, dumb assumption) I started talking away and telling it stuff. Over the next few months, we had a nasty spirit in the house who definitely used the information against the family. I was lucky it wasn't something worse, and that I was able to shoo it away after a while. 

RSKHFMY

#6 Wexler

Wexler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 05:16 AM

I used to use the concept of a chemist to those I taught or guided.  They may not hold a degree or certification but they can still put two chemicals together and cause an explosion or a smelly situation.  Try to instill they need to experiment and practice things but need to be aware of the parts and what each can do and will do.

I like your analogy MonSno.

I think one thing that makes witchcraft in general a difficult skill is that it can be really hard to know what you have hold of until you see the chemical reaction, so to speak.

In the real world, most people with half a brain can figure out not to stick their fingers in a dog's eye or dump big pots of unlabeled chemicals together. But when it comes to witchcraft, you may not know which end bits until you put your hands on it, and you may not know how much power you are wielding until you use too much and it burns you.

And for the inexperienced, things can have consequences that we would have never even thought of. So it is impossible to foresee every issue that could arise.

I would really love to have a proper teacher because I learn best with guidance and structure. But in lieu of that, I can still adapt and experiment by myself slowly and mindfully. Normally that would sound really boring to me, but after having been burned once I'm not so eager to play with fire again. It's all about doing what you can with what you've got, I suppose.

As an afterthought to my original post:

If you are a newbie like me and don't know where to get started, don't be intimidated. Be smart, proactive, and think about the consequences of what you're about to do before you do it. It can be hard to really understand what you are doing, but the only way to learn is to move forward. If you make a mistake, fix it and move on. I learned more about magic in the past month than I have in the past five years, and that was due to making big mistakes. So hopefully in the end everything will work out for the best :witch_bounce:

[avatar source]

#7 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:36 AM

I don't think we've had a lot of beginners around here lately, but I know a lot of people without accounts read TW, so I want to share some of my thoughts.

I recently got myself in to a steaming heap of trouble because I thought that as a newbie witch, I lacked the power or capability to get myself in to "real" trouble. I bought in to a watered-down version of witchcraft because the real thing was just a little too big and scary for comfort, and by sticking my head in the sand I caused myself a lot of grief.

I think that there is a general idea that young, inexperienced, or new witches shouldn't worry about getting in to hot water because we don't have the ability to stir up real trouble. And I think that a lot of folks like me hold the idea that if you don't intend certain things to happen, they simply won't be a problem. I especially have a bone to pick with the idea that only real witches have the ability to cause problems, as if everyone else shouldn't be concerned about safety or responsibility at all.

Suppose you have recently decided to take up hiking, but in your area there are only unmarked trails. It doesn't matter if you are a real hiker, once you start wandering those crooked paths you are going to find yourself in the forest. And there is no reason to assume that only real, experienced hikers can find the dangerous, unsafe trails.

It is impossible to avoid every pitfall. And in fact, messing up is how we learn. But it is especially dangerous to approach witchcraft with the idea of "I'm a beginner so there is no harm where I tread." Or even more stupidly, "I'm probably not a real witch so I don't need to worry about all that dangerous stuff."

The problem with the idea that only real witches (as opposed to frivolous witches, I suppose) can cause trouble is not only is it obviously false, but that there are probably plenty of people who don't know they are 'real' until they have already gotten themselves in to trouble. Take me, for example - up until a few months ago I identified myself as a mundane person who used petty magic tricks to supplement my normal, mundane life. And I was kind of happy about this, because real witchcraft is dangerous and scary. I carried on doing whatever frivolous magic I liked with no concern for danger until I woke up one morning in a nasty situation that I needed a heck of a lot of help to fix. And if some people hadn't shown up and spent a few weeks helping me, I could have caused some actual lasting damage in my life.

Witches are not the only people who use magic or who can work with unseen worlds. It doesn't matter if you are a witch or not, if you start to flip switches things are going to happen. It doesn't matter if you believe you are a real witch or not, or if you believe you don't have very much power, or if you are just dabbling and don't want to be a witch at all. You should treat magic with respect and with the understanding that you can cause disasters without meaning to, no matter your level of experience.

Do you know how they say that a gun is always loaded? Maybe we should say every witch is dangerous. The idea that a new witch doesn't need to be concerned with magical responsibility and safety is as ridiculous as saying someone doesn't need to learn gun safety until they become a perfect shot.

Witchcraft is wonderful, but it is also pretty scary. And it is very easy for people like me to say, "only big bad witches need to worry about that", or, "if I don't mess with X, Y, and Z then nothing bad will happen." Because facing the truth - that everyone needs to worry about that, or that bad things can happen no matter what you do - is upsetting and frightening. And if someone directly told me "you don't need to worry about that, you're just a new witch" then I would have said "thank God" and put those worries out of my head entirely, until they came to bite me in the ass.

Everyone makes mistakes and gets in to really bad situations. That is the nature of the crooked path. But there are things that can be done to help ensure you find your way back to civilization in one piece. In my opinion:

Metaphorically speaking, don't get really excited about your new hiking boots and rush off to a new, unknown trail. If you go too quickly you may find yourself in the middle of a dangerous path. And you may be trapped there for some time until you can feel your way out - especially if you forgot how you got there in the first place.

Go carefully and with purpose. Put thought in to what you do. You will never be able to avoid every mistake, but if you know why you went somewhere you will have an easier time finding your way out again.

Make note of every step you take. It may seem irrelevant now, but sooner or later you may need to map out your path. A problem you find yourself in now may have started weeks or even months ago with a single sloppy spell or unwise promise. If you can't see the entire problem, you can't fix the entire problem. In witchcraft, nothing is irrelevant and the things you do in your mundane life matter.

And lastly, intent is not the highest law of the universe. If you throw a bucket of water at your friend, you can intend whatever the heck you want but he's still going to get wet. Intent can easily be misdirected or misguided in the context of a spell or magical working. For example, I accidentally got in to some trouble with a bobcat skull. I didn't intend for the bobcat spirit to be involved at all, but because I said and did things to awaken it - guess what, a bobcat spirit showed up. You can think about making pork roast all you want, but if you are following a recipe for fried chicken you will be sorely disappointed. If you are in the middle of casting a nasty and dangerous spell, whether or not you realize it is dangerous, you can't just think "and it harm none" in the back of your head and expect that nobody will get hurt. You threw the water and now people are going to get wet.

If I could say anything, it would be don't be afraid to explore. That is the adventure of witchcraft. Don't be afraid of making mistakes or causing disasters, it's going to happen. We have the power to correct the problems we make even if it is hard going, and in the end hopefully we grow from the experience. But also do not go skipping blindly in to the forest, believing that your bubble of white light will keep you totally safe. Pitfalls await us all and it's a bitch to hit the bottom still believing that nothing bad can happen to you.

Thanks for sharing your personal experiences and bringing up some important issues. I like that you brought up the "and it harmeth none" as well. Too often I have seen that used like it will protect the magick user and everyone involved with them from everything that can go wrong. Then they are shocked and surprised when something dose. Yet another thing we can thank the wiccans for I guess. :twisted_witch:

Edited by Solanaceae, 30 May 2014 - 11:37 AM.

Some are born to sweet delight,

Some are born to endless night.

(Fragments from "Auguries of Innocence") William Blake

#8 LynnBay

LynnBay

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 01:42 PM

Thank you Wexler. I know I caused some commotion and irreversible damage when I started out. I wish your post was mandatory for any new witch to read. 

~Lynn by the Bay 

A Witch's Work is Never Done. 

#9 ArcticWitch

ArcticWitch

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 07:27 PM

Wexler, this is an exceptional post.  +1 from me, along with much gratitude.

I love the analogies this scenario has prompted: hiking treacherous trails, manipulating volatile chemicals.  From my own perspective, I've always likened my working with witchcraft to swimming in the ocean.  Studies have indicated that beach-goers are just as likely to be the victim of an unprovoked shark attack splashing around on shore as they are swimming in open water.

I will have to admit, when I finally accepted the Path's longtime call and intentionally entertained a huge number of differing philosophies about the Craft in my quest to create my own perspective, I was highly influenced by the stances of certain experienced witches that were shared on the "Is fear in a witch healthy" thread.  I personally find it alarming that they- as well as novelists of witch-themed books and authors of "fluffy" books- implied that the value of power of a given witch's Talents could or should be measured by the witch's willingness to be throw fear and caution to the wind when practicing their Craft, as if the experience level of a witch somehow directly correlated with how nasty a consequence or summoned entity could be.  Um, last time I checked, witchcraft isn't a game- there aren't tidy and fair "levels" that create an even playing field between the witch and the external powers he or she deals with.  The inherent dangers of the beach- a shark patrolling the waters for its next meal, or a strong riptide- doesn't care if a potential menu item is a 7-year-old just learning how to swim or a 29-year-old Olympic gold medalist in the butterfly stroke.  It's my opinion that because no one is capable of foreseeing/predicting all details of an outcome for their choices and actions, the only thing that can provide some protection to anyone in potentially dangerous situations- magical and mundane alike- is awareness.

#10 Pikkusisko

Pikkusisko

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 07:42 PM

Wise words. 

'There's rules to this stuff. Wishing an event to be changes elements before and after it. Memories will be destroyed, babies will not be born, potential worlds could be evaporated by your wish.' - Prismo

#11 Heks

Heks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 08:51 PM

I love this post; I wish I read it before I made a deal with Hecate X
"One's own house, though small, is better,
For there thou art the master.
It makes a man's heart bleed to ask
for a midday meal at the house of another."

(35 Havamal, Edda)

#12 Wexler

Wexler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:43 PM

I love this post; I wish I read it before I made a deal with Hecate X

Some of the steaming heap of trouble I referenced in my original post was caused by me making promises or commitments without understanding what I was really doing.

And because most of these commitments didn't have an immediate effect on my life, I put them in the back of my mind and assumed they weren't relevant any more. But as it turns out, I had started wheels turning that kept chugging along even when I wasn't paying attention. And again, intending that old promises I made would go away did nothing. You can think problems in to existence but you can't think them away! Lol.

If I could go back, I would take away some of the promises I made and let others continue. I think they have all caused me grief but I believe some of them were (and are) necessary.

I don't know if I have heard anyone talk about this so I don't know if it is popularly believed, but I think it is an appropriate thread to bring it up.

It is my belief that not only promises affect you, but also statements of intent. For example, at the beginning of this year I made a serious statement of intent that I was going to face my fears. I didn't promise anything or make any oaths, but that has had a powerful effect on my life that has not be easy or pleasant. A lot of my major fears have been thrown in my face and it has been a true struggle to deal with. The effects have been crippling enough that I am now afraid of the dark! My life now often feels like I am disabled with paranoia and fear, and as soon as I find the willpower to face what is at hand the game changes and I have to deal with something else. I expect this cycle will continue, perhaps even for years, until I have faced everything that will come. I could make another statement that says, "that's it, I'm done, I'm not going to face my fears any more." But I think that will send an equally powerful message of defeat. So I didn't know what I was getting in to, but now I believe I have the responsibility to face what I have brought upon myself. It sucks, but it is pushing me down my path and I am growing from it.

As a witch, the things you do and say matter. Even the things you think matter in a real way. I think you can only say "never mind, I take it back" so many times before it reflects back on you. And I think in a lot of situations you can say "I'm out" all you want, but whatever you're working with isn't going to let you free of your promise. I have learned that before I make magical statements of intent, or oaths or promises, I really need to think long and hard about what I am getting myself in to. Even if I can't comprehend all the possible consequences I still need to spend a long time thinking it over.

This post is coming out horribly depressing, but in reality it isn't. Once in my life I was brave enough to say "come at me fear, I'm going to look you in the eyes and own you." And I had the power to really make that happen! Maybe not this year or the next, but a while down the road I'm going to be a stronger and more powerful person because I had the courage to face what holds me back. I have the power to truly dedicate myself to something instead of floating around on the surface of life looking for the cracks that will let me in. And even when it comes back to bite, I can't help but be pleased now and then. So many people never find opportunities to grow or change, but I can create trials for myself. I'm like a Game Master building my own dungeons so I can train and overcome adversity. I can lay out a path for myself, I don't have to accept what comes to me. Making big mistakes, taking unwise magical oaths, or putting yourself on a hard path - they all suck because growing is often painful and hard, but they're all kind of amazing and awesome as well. And hopefully I will lose my fear of the dark sooner or later :D

[avatar source]

#13 Christine

Christine

Marsh Wiggle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 05:09 AM

Oh wow Ravenshaw, that's rough. I guess I was lucky in a way that my first encounters were with entities that were so obviously unworthy of any trust. So in a weird way their psychic abuse was good... nah forget that old trap. Sucks to be tricked, good on ya that you cleaned it up.

#14 Nabu

Nabu

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 05:11 AM

Wexler fear isn't always bad  , if anything it makes one more cognizant of almost everything - be aware of your surroundings as much as possible , guard especially your thoughts ; much less words . I will call you commendable for expressing and sharing your experiences , debating if one made a mistake or not sometimes is part of the process. Just got to make some to gauge the severity or to what degree the outcome of the mistake / unwanted consequence will turn out to be. You have posted to the fact that you acknowledge that one must continue the venture so you have a fairly good grasp and don't beat yourself up so much , these things will teach you a more wise course of choosing ideas , actions , words , desires , directions , and the bane of my thoughts - goals / plans . When you get lemons , make lemonade - as in , if it isn't what you intended , work with it to salvage as much as possible , waste is not in natures vocabulray , it makes use of all. The dark will always be there , endevour to work with it , you will eventually close your eyes to sleep so it will come.You are not alone in transversing a path ,such as I and many more that visit / post here.Fortunatly there are those that will give encouragement .

Chin up !!!!!

Nabu

Strong of Heart wins the Day , let not yourself be dismayed !

#15 Christine

Christine

Marsh Wiggle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 05:59 AM

Shielding and sourcing: for any "new witch" checking this thread, shields don't have to be one-at-a-time, and source power continuously, even if it's just a low draw.

PSA over.

(Musingly) I think of my life sometimes like that of a tree, whose history is writ large in its very form: this day I was in shade, and I bear the twist of it forever. The promises that that bind me-- those of any person-- give me the shape of my life: here I grow freely, there I may trespass not. This blight I bear, but with honor. Without my damage, I might be anyone, indistinguishable and undistinguished. I am a jolie belle, none wears this visage excepting myself. I earned all of my scars by surviving them. And when I die, they'll have to close the casket-- if they can find enough pieces to put in it.

I am this way in all of my pursuits, and I would not have it differently. Not that I advocate stupidity, but there are times when you just have to jump. You make it, or you don't, and then that is your story. Otherwise you just stand still, and that is your death. This may be the fearlessness you mean, Wexler. Feeling fear (the spice of it) and obeying fear are not identical. Everyone-- and witches-- feels fear. Witches, in my opinion, are generally disobedient persons in any case.

How much of that contrariness is due to our exposure to... whatever magic essentially is? We may assume in the beginning that a spell has an explicit start, a final endpoint, yet I wonder... M. Z. Bradley, a popular fictionista, characterized the woo-woo aspects of psychic and (in her esteem) sorcerous work as the "nonlocal sciences." The merits? of her writing aside, that phraseology sticks with me. What we do is non-newtonian, unbound by the limits of time. We are, at least to some extent, what we have finally agreed, or decided, to be, and become. I've gotten a little on the deep side I guess; may I offer as illuminative the fact that my most useful hexes have been performed on... myself?

TL:DR I'm there with you, Wexler. It's scary but worth it.

#16 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 08:19 AM

Witchcraft is a skillset, not all of which you are going to need at any given time.  Slow down, take a breather.  If you try to sprint so fast you hurt yourself, will that prepare you to drive a car afterwards?  Baby steps!

Breath, loves, breathe, and think deeply about what you NEED.....

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#17 melusine

melusine

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 03:42 PM

Wonderful OP and subsequent posts, Wex! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences.  +1

Edited by melusine, 31 May 2014 - 03:43 PM.

#18 Wexler

Wexler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 04:32 PM

Wexler fear isn't always bad  , if anything it makes one more cognizant of almost everything - be aware of your surroundings as much as possible , guard especially your thoughts ; much less words . I will call you commendable for expressing and sharing your experiences , debating if one made a mistake or not sometimes is part of the process. Just got to make some to gauge the severity or to what degree the outcome of the mistake / unwanted consequence will turn out to be. You have posted to the fact that you acknowledge that one must continue the venture so you have a fairly good grasp and don't beat yourself up so much , these things will teach you a more wise course of choosing ideas , actions , words , desires , directions , and the bane of my thoughts - goals / plans . When you get lemons , make lemonade - as in , if it isn't what you intended , work with it to salvage as much as possible , waste is not in natures vocabulray , it makes use of all. The dark will always be there , endevour to work with it , you will eventually close your eyes to sleep so it will come.You are not alone in transversing a path ,such as I and many more that visit / post here.Fortunatly there are those that will give encouragement .

Chin up !!!!!

Nabu

I think these are wise words Nabu. It isn't just about moving forward, it is also about looking back to learn from the experience. I don't think people automatically learn, there has to be some point where a person reflects on their experiences and chooses to grow from what happened. Unfortunately sometimes that can be really hard if you can't accept your role in how things went down.

I especially like the part about making lemonade. When I was more in the depths of my troubles, I had the very odd awareness that I was in the middle of something big (big for me at least). It wasn't like I looked back one day and said "woah, that was a big situation." I knew it the entire time. When I was in the thick of things, I don't think there was any lemonade-making to be had. It was just trudging forward trying to get to the end. Now that I have come to a resting place it is easier to see the positives of what has happened, but the entire experience has left me somewhat angry and cynical. Ultimately though I think that's okay. I have a bad misconception that real witches are always empowered and on top, and they never feel out of control or bitter when they have to face big challenges. It is easy for me to think, "I must not be doing this right because I don't feel like a Stepford Witch". When in reality, getting down and dirty and a little crazy is what was necessary to succeed. I guess my point is, there may always be a chance to make lemonade but if you can't see it, that doesn't mean anything is wrong. Maybe that just means it's still time for you to gather the lemons for a little while longer.

Witches, in my opinion, are generally disobedient persons in any case.

I like this :biggrin:

[avatar source]

#19 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 04:53 PM

A few of my thoughts on this.

I think what Wexler experienced is mainly due to one's desire/will that is put into the working/spell not being exactly what one had in mind when having the desire/want/need. The powers that are put in motion, I think, are quite literal and not discerning in the witch's desire, in other words - what one puts into motion is what one gets. The old cliche 'be careful what you wish for, you may just get it', is very applicable in the craft.

In Wexler's example about facing her fear(s), that is what happened. The spell put forces into motion that resulted in things she fears being put before her - most likely not exactly what she had in mind though. Probably what she had in mind (and I'm just assuming here) was to not be afraid any longer of what she presently fears. Along that line of thought, one would have to be more 'specific and literal' in the spell, and make sure it is really what one wants in as many respects as one can think of. Also, not being fearful is not quite the same as no fear. A reasonable level of fear I call 'caution', for example, I want to go into the forest at night and not be afraid is well and dandy, but to enter without research and taking pre-cautions could get one killed in the forest. I think that doing this research and taking the precautions is the precursor to not having an incapacitating fear of something. There will still be risks, and that's where contingency plans can be assistance.

One last thought on the matter - it happens to both new and experienced witches, but probably a little more often and intense than that of experienced witches (now)...and that my dearies is how one gets experienced, LOL (although it sure helps to have a mentor saying - I wouldn't do it exactly that way if I were you while wagging his/her index finger at you, lol).

#20 Roebin

Roebin

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 03:47 PM

Thank you, Wexler, for this post! I must admit, I have not thought too much about the bad, unintended consequences of spells, promises, and declarations of intent. I have been thinking lately about how if one tells the truth and only speaks the truth then simple words can hold tremendous power. One can actually create things! I have always found this point to be a place of relief, peace, and excitement. I have used this power a couple of times in the past to create some wonderful changes in mine and my wife's lives. After reading your posts and the comments, I will now put much more thought into the dangers as well. Thank you!