• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 01:34 AM

I also use mason jars for just about everything, craft and otherwise, for storing both  magickal and mundane items, even as drinking glasses!

Some are born to sweet delight,

Some are born to endless night.

(Fragments from "Auguries of Innocence") William Blake

#22 Caps

Caps

Phytokinesist

• Moderators
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 01:50 AM

Not necessarily around the property here but I have a tendency of coming across railroad spikes at very unusual locations sometimes, even when there is no sign of a present or past railroad nearby.  I think I've found at least five of them randomly like this.  I carried one of them in particular that speaks to me with me when I lived in Kentucky for several months.  The only old nails I do find came from the ruins of an old slave quarters about a half mile deep past my back woodline.

"It is the still and silent sea that drowns a man." - Old Norse proverb

"It is better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war."

#23 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:23 AM

Not necessarily around the property here but I have a tendency of coming across railroad spikes at very unusual locations sometimes, even when there is no sign of a present or past railroad nearby.  I think I've found at least five of them randomly like this.  I carried one of them in particular that speaks to me with me when I lived in Kentucky for several months.  The only old nails I do find came from the ruins of an old slave quarters about a half mile deep past my back woodline.

Wow that's interesting! Could be a mundane reason for it, but could be magical reason for it too...

I see you're getting your degree in art of the obvious~myself
Without music life would be a mistake~ Friedrich Nietzsche
Immorality: The morality of those who are having a better time~ H.L. Mencken
When nature has work to be done, she creates a genius to do it~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
We cannot teach people anything; we can only help them discover it within themselves~ Galileo

#24 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 02:25 PM

I seem to be finding old, rusty, bent nails off and on around my property . Few years ago storm blew over a large sycamore tree that had been growing in the stream in between my house / property and that next house down, matted up in about a 10-12 foot root ball , it grew on a flat creek bed so no tap roots to speak of , were a bunch of old, bent rusty nails . Ok a present from the water spirits . Now a few weeks ago I dig up a wild flower / plant - a Sweet Betsy- with a good sized ball of dirt, I sift through it to repot , and there again a bunch of old, rusty , bent nails .

Trying to figure what I might could use them for ... Anyone have any ideas to maybe point me in a direction ???

Thanks,

Nabu

If they're square with a square head, then they might well be coffin nails, however, I think, at one point they were also used in building homes. I know a type of short square nail was also used to attach horsehoes to the horse.

#25 Guest_monsnoleedra_*

Guest_monsnoleedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2014 - 03:11 PM

If they're square with a square head, then they might well be coffin nails, however, I think, at one point they were also used in building homes. I know a type of short square nail was also used to attach horsehoes to the horse.

At one time the square nails were the only kind you could get.  Before them you saw a lot of dow pegs used as nails, especially in older furniture though i've seen them in older houses.  Not sure when they switched from the square nails to the rounded ones with flat heads but I can recall using square ones in the mid to late 60's.  Stopped seeing them in the mid 70's near as I can recall.  Being a teen or pre-teen at the time we used to scavenge the building lots and all around us for boards, nails, anything that could be used to construct stuff or just settle our curiosity about how things were put together.

I know my father and grandfather preferred the round headed ones as they didn't pull through the wood as easy as the square ones did.  You'd think the square one's wouldn't either as they tapered down but kick or push upon the board and it would push right through.

#26 Nabu

Nabu

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 04:37 AM

Well Nikki to be honest , I dug up the plants to repot for a short time to be later on taken to my mother's grave and planted on her birthday back in April. They are of the "wild flower " variety and I have rather admired them from time to time . They grow wild all over the woods around my house , so I took a notion that I wanted to get some to take to mother's grave that I would plant  when I planned on visiting on her birthday . So it was done with the hopes that it would be viewed as a benevolent gesture ,we'll see if and when I get the chance to visit next year, she be a ways off . The nails I suppose could possibly be a gift before the planned flower planting I have just got to feel there was some positive in this .

As far as the mason jars and such they were in an area that was used for a dumping site which just really grinds on me for folks to do such , but it is and has been a common practice for decades for people to use vacant areas to dump trash in / on. I did go back to the area a few weeks later and scrounge up a bunch of old unbroken bottles , brown purex , green medicine dropper types , syrup bottles with handles , just everyday consumables who's packaging has changed to plastic but none the less still litterable '

Thanks for the replies , really haven't explored HooDoo yet ........... :thinking:

Nabu

Strong of Heart wins the Day , let not yourself be dismayed !

#27 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 05:45 AM

Well Nikki to be honest , I dug up the plants to repot for a short time to be later on taken to my mother's grave and planted on her birthday back in April. They are of the "wild flower " variety and I have rather admired them from time to time . They grow wild all over the woods around my house , so I took a notion that I wanted to get some to take to mother's grave that I would plant  when I planned on visiting on her birthday . So it was done with the hopes that it would be viewed as a benevolent gesture ,we'll see if and when I get the chance to visit next year, she be a ways off . The nails I suppose could possibly be a gift before the planned flower planting I have just got to feel there was some positive in this .

As far as the mason jars and such they were in an area that was used for a dumping site which just really grinds on me for folks to do such , but it is and has been a common practice for decades for people to use vacant areas to dump trash in / on. I did go back to the area a few weeks later and scrounge up a bunch of old unbroken bottles , brown purex , green medicine dropper types , syrup bottles with handles , just everyday consumables who's packaging has changed to plastic but none the less still litterable '

Thanks for the replies , really haven't explored HooDoo yet ........... :thinking:

Nabu

I highly recommend it! :) 

When nature has work to be done, she creates a genius to do it~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
We cannot teach people anything; we can only help them discover it within themselves~ Galileo

#28 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 05:50 AM

Oh, Nabu, sorry about your mom. The wildflowers sound like beautiful birthday gift for her grave.

The difference between Medicine and Poison is the Dose. :oil-bottle:
I Love you as certain Dark Things are to be Loved,
In Secret, Between the Shadow and the Soul.
- Pablo Neruda

#29 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 05:58 AM

Nabu

My condolences :( The anniversary of my mother's death is in April. I think it would suck for me if I didn't live so close to her grave. 

#30 Broomflower

Broomflower

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 03:21 PM

Trying to figure what I might could use them for ... Anyone have any ideas to maybe point me in a direction ???

You can use the iron oxide in them to make a dye for bones, charm bags, etc.  If you have something to use as a binder (like gum arabic) you can make an ink. 

The other suggestions for protective use/witch bottles, etc are also all good ideas.

I would hesitate, however, to think they are evidence of spellwork, without other indications, such as the presence of wax, sigils or such, simply because mason jars are such a common thing to put stuff in, and things can get burried over time, or, say, if one of the previous families burried their unburnable trash, for example.  If, however, you do have evidence they were used in spelling, I wouldn't use them for anything, but I would put them back out of respect for the original caster.

Eat your lawn.

#31 Eave

Eave

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 12:51 AM

Finding buried nails in the back yard is what prompted me to get 4 T shots in less than 6 years, a shame I always "found" them with the sole of my feet or when they punctured the palm of my hand lol seems oddly common in the US, some sort of colonial pass time?

Supposing this is actually related to something crafty (it may be or it may not be), remnants of the typical witch bottle (super common in europe albeit done a bit differently) or something entirely different I would exercise caution with regards to their use even if they do feel "fine" as they are now. It would ultimately depend on what you sense is correct but from experience, items used by others with any lingering remanence of the craft work they were subjected to or used for have a very peculiar way of being "unpredictable" no matter how innocent or inert they feel. I have a scar from one such experience with some dubious items I "thought" to experiment with...

With that being said, if you have not sensed anything malicious or strange thus far on the property, they may very well be harmless "trash". Again, I'm pretty sure there was some odd pass time related to such things lol.

PS- "witch bottles" made in my neck of the woods (across the atlantic) are normally extremely simple looking, are elaborate witch bottles common across the atlantic?

Edited by Eave, 25 July 2015 - 01:01 AM.

#32 Lilitia

Lilitia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 04:36 AM

Where I live, bottle trees are more common than just a single witch bottle. We have witch balls hung in and outside, and bottle trees. A bit different. My pops has both.

Lots of colored bottles are hung throughout the entirety of a tree, different shapes and sizes, hung from different lengths of cord. I have seen them both upside down and right side up, filled with stuff for protection or other witchy needs, and even hung up empty. It all depends upon the person. They're pretty, I think, and effective.

My mama used to tell me 'bout these
Broke, poachin' ass bitches in these streets,
So many people wanna see me fall,
Invite me to the table but don't want me to eat at all.... ---- Z'Ro the Crooked