30 replies to this topic

#1 Nabu

Nabu

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 11:33 PM

I seem to be finding old, rusty, bent nails off and on around my property . Few years ago storm blew over a large sycamore tree that had been growing in the stream in between my house / property and that next house down, matted up in about a 10-12 foot root ball , it grew on a flat creek bed so no tap roots to speak of , were a bunch of old, bent rusty nails . Ok a present from the water spirits . Now a few weeks ago I dig up a wild flower / plant - a Sweet Betsy- with a good sized ball of dirt, I sift through it to repot , and there again a bunch of old, rusty , bent nails .

Trying to figure what I might could use them for ... Anyone have any ideas to maybe point me in a direction ???

Thanks,

Nabu

Edited by Nabu, 23 May 2014 - 11:34 PM.

Strong of Heart wins the Day , let not yourself be dismayed !

#2 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 12:17 AM

I seem to be finding old, rusty, bent nails off and on around my property . Few years ago storm blew over a large sycamore tree that had been growing in the stream in between my house / property and that next house down, matted up in about a 10-12 foot root ball , it grew on a flat creek bed so no tap roots to speak of , were a bunch of old, bent rusty nails . Ok a present from the water spirits . Now a few weeks ago I dig up a wild flower / plant - a Sweet Betsy- with a good sized ball of dirt, I sift through it to repot , and there again a bunch of old, rusty , bent nails .

Trying to figure what I might could use them for ... Anyone have any ideas to maybe point me in a direction ???

Thanks,

Nabu

Hello Nabu  :)

Off the top of my head, perhaps your property once held coffins from ages and ages ago ?  They didn't embalm back then, and constructed some sort of wooden coffin, and these nails are all that is left of the tangible ?  Maybe you have a treasure trove of authentic coffin nails ?  Just musing my thoughts.

Good to see you posting, btw ;)

Regards,

Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#3 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 11:39 AM

I have a friend who after one of the hurricanes found a rather large knife buried up to the hilt in the trunk of his tree. No one could get it out (I guess he's not King Arthur, lol) so it still lives there today and the bark is growing around it. 

M

#4 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 03:18 PM

I have no idea what they would be used for.  I would collect them, put them away and when it's time to use them - you'll know it.

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#5 Guest_monsnoleedra_*

Guest_monsnoleedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2014 - 03:47 PM

I'd think you have better odds of it being a former dump than a graveyard.  If not a dump then a flood collection site if its near a creek bed where the debrie would be collected.  Especially if its bent nails vice straight nails.

Figure straight nails would possibly suggest a use against fae type creatures, especially if they are iron nails.  If there is ceramic shards with it you have potentially witch / vampire bottles in which bent nails would be used along with urine and other items to protect the land and ensure sure entities could not pass.  Sort of the old wives tales about witches / vampires not being able to pass without straightening and counting the nails or counting the strands of thread.  Figure old style witch / vampire bottles were ceramic more often than a glass type container.  Though I'd expect you to find the nails in clumps if they came from any of the bottle protections.

I have a very vague memory of nails being driven into boards and bent in order to "Hook" spirits.  Sometimes, the heads wold be the bent over part, sometimes the tips to act as fishing hooks sort of.  that falls into some old Granny magics I vaguely recall from my youth so would be Blue Ridge / Shenandoah Valley area. But like I said that is a very faint memory

#6 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 05:05 PM

Perhaps the was an extensive renovation on your property years back, or a large structure that was torn down. (nails being rather small and easy to miss in a clean up)

The difference between Medicine and Poison is the Dose. :oil-bottle:
I Love you as certain Dark Things are to be Loved,
In Secret, Between the Shadow and the Soul.
- Pablo Neruda

#7 Belwenda

Belwenda

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 04:37 PM

Iron can be used for protection, to draw out a negative influence, to add strength( although not always directed).
There is a whole school of thought to metals' relationship to spell work, it requires accepting old ideas on corrospondence though.

Edited by Belwenda, 25 May 2014 - 04:40 PM.

"For there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so" W.S.

#8 Nabu

Nabu

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 11:40 PM

Ok , went back to where I got the Sweet Betsy plant , tree specious unknownous, dug around a little more - more nails . I do believe that monsnoleedra hit the nail on the head , couldn't resist that , it do appear to be where someone in the past " dumped " them in that spot .Not far , maybe 30 feet from the tree is an area about 30 feet around where the previous folks that I bought the house and property from used for a household dumping sight, broken bottles galore , along with old metal / tin Mason jar lids that used a rubber ring , with the white ceramic insert ( maybe future candle holders ) . So I got another hand full of old, rusty , bent nails for my collection of " stuff ".

Thanks for the replies , all very well received.

Nabu

Strong of Heart wins the Day , let not yourself be dismayed !

#9 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:34 PM

Definitely sounds like several things Hoodoo related. Nails, Coffin Nails, Rusty nails, etc. are used in many Hoodoo/Conjure spells (particularly curses/hexes). Usually mason jars are filled with urine or vinegar, nails, razor blades, pin, needles, broken glass, and then a "target's" personal concerns. Personal concerns=bodily fluids, saliva, semen, blood, hair, finger nails, toe nails, something they touched, etc. Then they're buried somewhere (usually in the backyard) for a certain period of time, depending on the person placing the hex on said target. I'm fairly sure I could find you some references if you're interested.

It appears like someone liked to play on the dark side a lot....  

*eta- there's a specific type of hex used in Hoodoo called "war water" that includes rusty nails. Am I allowed to post references if they're included on a site that sells occult items, gives instructions (or technically descriptions) for specific spells, and includes a forum? 

Edited by bewitchingredhead, 10 July 2014 - 07:39 PM.

I see you're getting your degree in art of the obvious~myself
Without music life would be a mistake~ Friedrich Nietzsche
Immorality: The morality of those who are having a better time~ H.L. Mencken
When nature has work to be done, she creates a genius to do it~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
We cannot teach people anything; we can only help them discover it within themselves~ Galileo

#10 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:53 PM

After reading a mason jar and bent nails were also found... it def. could be the remains of a Spelled Jar... a Witch's Bottle, maybe?

Maybe not playing on the 'dark' side.... but, perhaps protecting against it?

I'm thinking witch would know if he/she found the remnants of another witch's spell or curse... just saying. 

(Could be wrong, but isn't War Water thrown (and broken) in plain sight, rather than being buried?)

- Pablo Neruda

#11 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,825 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:55 PM

*eta- there's a specific type of hex used in Hoodoo called "war water" that includes rusty nails. Am I allowed to post references if they're included on a site that sells occult items, gives instructions (or technically descriptions) for specific spells, and includes a forum? 

BWR, War Water is well-known to the witches on this site but the majority of the references to it are in the private section. If you're speaking of Lucky Mojo, Cat is well-known, too. You're welcome to post references as long as credit is given where credit is due, with links where necessary.

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#12 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 08:01 PM

After reading a mason jar and bent nails were also found... it def. could be the remains of a Spelled Jar... a Witch's Bottle, maybe?

Maybe not playing on the 'dark' side.... but, perhaps protecting against it?

I'm thinking witch would know if he/she found the remnants of another witch's spell or curse... just saying. 

(Could be wrong, but isn't War Water thrown (and broken) in plain sight, rather than being buried?)

War water and the mason jar hexes are separate things. There are several Hoodoo spells that utilize them. Yes, traditionally "War Water" is thrown at an enemy's home, place of work, etc. The mason jar hexes are buried. I'm sure there are also several witchcraft spells in which they are used. I am more familiar with the Hoodoo ones.

When nature has work to be done, she creates a genius to do it~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
We cannot teach people anything; we can only help them discover it within themselves~ Galileo

#13 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 08:04 PM

BWR, War Water is well-known to the witches on this site but the majority of the references to it are in the private section. If you're speaking of Lucky Mojo, Cat is well-known, too. You're welcome to post references as long as credit is given where credit is due, with links where necessary.

Yes I am! Thank you, that's good to know. I was going to post direct links to Lucky Mojo's site, whether it's a spell, description, or their forum (a lot of their spells on such things are listed in more detail on their forum). That's why I wanted to ask before just posting a link to another site, since it includes a forum and technically a business as well, lol. 

*eta- My mentor is a certified root worker (amongst many other things) and authorized retailer of LM.

Edited by bewitchingredhead, 10 July 2014 - 08:22 PM.

#14 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 08:20 PM

:roflhard: I'm sure no one in the history of the world ever put war water in a mason jar...lol.

- Pablo Neruda

#15 RoseRed

RoseRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:10 PM

I don't know.  I lived in the Deep South and mason jars are REALLY common.  Most everybody has them around.  They're convenient and cheap.  You just have to throw it really hard to break well.  :rofl:

#16 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:40 PM

I don't know.  I lived in the Deep South and mason jars are REALLY common.  Most everybody has them around.  They're convenient and cheap.  You just have to throw it really hard to break well.  :rofl:

Lol, yep. I'm in NC and I can confirm that mason jars are used for just about everything- craft or otherwise. I can't even think of a bottle off the top of my head that I'd use if I were going to do one. Unless it's something from in the fridge once it's gone.

#17 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 12:24 AM

Well, if a pissed-off witch can't break a mason jar of war water.... the war ain't looking too good for 'em  :sickwitch:  heehee

Edited by Nikki, 11 July 2014 - 12:25 AM.

- Pablo Neruda

#18 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 04:04 AM

Well, if a pissed-off witch can't break a mason jar of war water.... the war ain't looking too good for 'em  :sickwitch:  heehee

I swear to god I just came on here to post this!!  :roflhard: I was gonna say if you can't throw a mason jar hard enough to break it you shouldn't be cursing someone. 

#19 RoseRed

RoseRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 12:27 PM

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

#20 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 01:13 AM

OMG... I just got HIT IN THE HEAD....

NABU, were these plants removed because they were unhealthy?  

If they were healthy plants....  please consider this:  Plants need iron !!! They get yellow leaves without it --- mainly due to 'sweet' dirt. (if memory serves correctly)

Since nails were found at the base of unrooted plants...  It is quite possible that the gardener who planted these, placed the nails there to ensure healthy growth by improving the acidity Ph levels of the soil... naturally and cheaply, I may add.

Strange as it may sound, who knows if the gardener placed a mason jar with rusty nails in the soil to prevent the nails from sinking too far away from the root system... thus ensuring iron was being added to the soil for a long time to come.

If I were you, Nabu... I'd take a page from that previous gardener's book and think about soil conditions + plant type if are going to replace the flora that's been removed. 

And, don't be surprised if you find more nails under other plants/trees/shrubs dug up in the future. It might be just this simple.

Edited by Nikki, 12 July 2014 - 01:14 AM.

- Pablo Neruda