Wexler

Something wrong? Blame retrograde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 05:42 PM

Here is the link to watch the first episode on Youtube:

https://www.youtube....h?v=_GMZBirzYAY

I do not think they will have any other episodes online, I am guessing it is serving as a teaser to try and get people to watch the show on their network.

'Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.'

'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.'

[avatar source]

#22 Guest_monsnoleedra_*

Guest_monsnoleedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2014 - 05:47 PM

I didn't realize Eva Green was in that series.  Might have to give it a viewing then like her as an actress.

#23 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 09:54 PM

I didn't realize Eva Green was in that series.  Might have to give it a viewing then like her as an actress.

Eva does a great acting job in Episode 2 -- the Seance scene is amazing. I wonder how many Takes it took to get that scene right... 

Anyone see her in the 300 sequel? The sex scene? That took guts. She is FEARLESS in the roles she takes on. 

The difference between Medicine and Poison is the Dose. :oil-bottle:
I Love you as certain Dark Things are to be Loved,
In Secret, Between the Shadow and the Soul.
- Pablo Neruda

#24 Guest_monsnoleedra_*

Guest_monsnoleedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2014 - 10:21 PM

Haven't seen the 300 sequel.  Though she her carried the role in Kingdom of Heaven really well, especially her eyes and how they conveyed that role.

#25 MaryElizabeth

MaryElizabeth

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:01 PM

Is anyone else bothered by the character arc for frankenstein? Spoilers to follow

With the introduction of the original monster/creation I suddenly became really disinterested in his storyline, only because to me it doesn't make sense for him to have created a second creature after the trauma of the first. In the show the original monster has said stated that frankenstein already attempted to create his companion but then destroyed it at the last second (just like in the book) so then if we're following the book's trajectory he destroyed it because he realized he could not go through with such ann abominable act a second time, he fully regrets his experiment and then the monster strangles his fiancee as an act of revenge. So my question is how does the show's characterization of him justifiably differ from the books. why would he try to create another creature after he destroyed the companion he was going to make for his first monster. it just really bugs me, i know they aren't following the books religiously and its more them throwing these characters together and their interpretation of how they would react but i feel like there's no justification for him to revert back to the way he was when he tried to create his first monster after he had already been tormented by it.

Also the one thing i was struck by in the beginning was how very League of Extraordinary Gentlemen it was. Not in a bad way, since they have the same basic premise (throw a bunch of classic horror/science fiction/adventure stories together)

Why have gender roles when you can have pizza rolls?

#26 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:59 PM

Yes Mary Elizabeth -- I am also bothered by Dr. Frankenstein's arc... but had a notion that this would happen since the first few episodes. I'm not surprised, but disappointed in him. I'd hoped my notions would prove wrong.  He didn't even mention Proteus !!! UGH. (Hard not to give too much away)

So many spoiler's with the Season Finale, too.

Interesting stuff for next season to build on.

What did you think about what the Priest said to Vanessa? 

- Pablo Neruda

#27 Faeriechilde

Faeriechilde

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 06:45 PM

I started watching it yesterday. Very intriguing indeed!

#28 Branwen

Branwen

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:39 PM

I fell in love with this show the moment I saw the first episode, though I am really disappointed in the good Doctor and don't currently think very highly of Timothy Dalton's character. I'm giddy with anticipation for Season 2, though! 

People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of their character. - Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803 - 1882)

My Business Facebook Page: Brawnen's Botanicals

#29 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 10:04 PM

SEASON TWO PREMIERE

Sunday, May 3 @10 p.m.

For those who missed Season One -- there's plenty of time to catch-up if you can access ShowtimeOnDemand.

Edited by Nikki, 23 February 2015 - 10:06 PM.

- Pablo Neruda

#30 westofthemoon

westofthemoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 01:50 AM

Yay! I cannot wait for S2. I just adore Eva Green (she kicked ass in the 300 sequel too).
Wouldst thou like to Live Deliciously? ~ "The VVitch"

Say what you know, do what you must, come what may.

#31 peterwitch

peterwitch

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 11:55 AM

I watched several episodes like maybe 8 but got bored and put it off.
The reason was really simple, there is no Hollywood magic involved, only supernatural being. :cool_witch:

#32 RavenFlyer

RavenFlyer

Backwoods Witch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 04:26 AM

You may wish to give season 2 a go, perhaps. There is now a coven of witches.
And yes Penny Dreadful is not for everyone. It's at best a slow burn; at worst a slow bore.

I like my shows slow and eloquent.

My ETSY store:

Appalachian Witchery http://www.etsy.com/...lachianWitchery

#33 OCEANOS

OCEANOS

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 05:59 AM

You may wish to give season 2 a go, perhaps. There is now a coven of witches.
And yes Penny Dreadful is not for everyone. It's at best a slow burn; at worst a slow bore.

I like my shows slow and eloquent.

Penny Dreadful is painfully slow except excellent cast and settings. I never finished the first season.

"Some People Have A Gift For Stupidity, An Almost Mystic Ability To Withstand Any Form Of Logic"

output_dLSIE3.gif

#34 Stacey

Stacey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 03:50 AM

I love it, can't wait for season 2. I grew up reading old school gothic horror so it's for me, I adore Eva Green - ever since I saw her in Camelot. Plus I have a bit of a silver fox crush on Timothy Dalton - that voice mmmmm. I did think the climax with the daughter was a bit of a let down though given the entire season was devoted to finding her but other than that, can't wait for the next season!
"The mind is not a book, to be opened at will and examined at leisure. Thoughts are not etched on the inside of skulls, to be perused by an invader. The mind is a complex and many-layered thing." Severus Snape - HP and the Order of the Phoenix

#35 peterwitch

peterwitch

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 02:46 PM

Thanks Raven! I think I want to give it a go again if you say so! But I am watching anime though, so maybe I will watch Penny Dreadful again, god knows when....

#36 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 11:40 PM

SEASON 3 Premier : Sunday, May 1st at 10 pm EST On Showtime.

S3E1: "The Day Tennyson Died"  Saw it already :)  A good start to the new season. We meet Dr. Jekyll and enjoy Patti Lupone's return to the series as

Dr. Seward.

Lupone played the 'Cut-Wife' in S2E3 - a must-see flashback episode. Another fantastic must-see flashback episode is "Closer Than Sisters" S1E5.

Season 2 leaves us with "So we walk alone' as Sir Malcolm, Ethan and "Jon Claire" are spread to the far the corners of the globe, leaving Vanessa behind in London.

It will be interesting to see how they will rejoin one another in Season 3.

Season 1 leaves us with the question posed by a Catholic Priest who asks Vanessa. "Do you really want to be normal?" after he explains to our heroine that 'Being touched by a demon is like being touched by the backhand of God. It makes you sacred in a way."

John Logan has created a slice of Victorian brilliance with this series.

The writing, acting, music, sets, costumes, cinematography, special effects are all excellent.

If you haven't see the series yet, you can get the basic gist of the plot and characters by watching a few key episodes:

Season 1: Episodes 1,2,3 and 8. Slowly we get acquainted with each character and why they ban together in an effort to save Sir Malcolm's daughter, Mina.

Season 2: Episodes 1,2, 3, 7 and 10.  Vanessa is being hunted and attacked. This season is all about Witches.  Some very interesting magics and plenty of kick-ass dolls, Day Walkers, Night Comers and the Verbis Diablo. If you can watch episode 9, do it. Hell, watch them all if you can.

The literary themes are too many to list, but accepting WHO you are by embracing your dark side is a theme the viewer cannot ignore.

Enjoy :)

Edited by Nikki, 02 May 2016 - 12:47 AM.

- Pablo Neruda

#37 Edge

Edge

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 05:57 PM

I love this show!

#38 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 03:50 PM

What do you love about it, Edge?

- Pablo Neruda

#39 Mistflower

Mistflower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 10:29 PM

it's on Sky Atlantic if anyone has that.

Quick, said the bird, find them, find them,
Round the corner. Through the first gate

The Four Quartets by T.S. Eliot

#40 Edge

Edge

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 12:46 AM

What do you love about it, Edge?

Everything. I love gothic horror, supernatural stuff, mad scientists, and monsters. I love that literary characters like Dr. Frankenstein, his creature, Dorian Gray, and now Dracula and Dr. Jekyll are in it. I am especially excited about Frankenstein and Jekyll. I love that one character is a wolfman (also that there is an American werewolf in London amuses me). I love that there are LGBT characters (even though Angelique was played by a cis guy). I like the characters, picture, costumes, sets, and tone. I love that scene where the camera pans through the witches' house while Evelyn Poole sings "The Unquiet Grave" and eventually comes to her bathing in a bathtub full of blood. Same with the scene in the first season when they're at the zoo and Ethan interacts with the wolves. I like the relationships between the characters mainly because I am slightly jealous of the main characters' family-like dynamic.

Edited by Edge, 22 May 2016 - 12:47 AM.