Photo
- - - - -

Yes it's new...Tykhe Dice...but it has a tradition.

cleromancy Fortune Dice Runes Astrology

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 thehoodedman

thehoodedman

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 12:23 PM

Thanks for the interest, and allowing this thread. Hope I haven't put too much here?

About...skip this bit if you want.

"When I first imagined Tykhe, some 2 years ago, I had little knowledge of my 'hereditary' past. I was unaware both sides of my family were traditionals. That my mother has read tea leaves and been a spiritualist all her life, and that my grandmother and her mother on my father's side were witches came as a huge surprise. It's in your blood...I don't doubt that one bit. I always knew I could see and do things others couldn't and am known as a 'really lucky' guy...because what I 'wish' for nearly always happens. It just happens...because I'm a witch...and it's called a spell?

I don't know where, exactly, Tykhe came from in my mind...just that one day it was all there; and it hasn't changed since I drew it out. Most of the 'symbols' have traditional roots, so I can't claim to have created them, though all imagery is mine. The throwing mat is entirely mine though."

Firstly, I want to assure you Tykhe dice are not difficult to use or understand. Here's a brief outline: 3 dice, each with 6 sides.
Each dice represents an aspect of the querient's life:

Dice 1: current position   Dice 2: finances and business   Dice 3: love and relationships

There are 18 symbols, each represents (like Tarot) a meaning.  Roll the 3 dice and interpret the outcome. It can be that straightforward, if you wish...

4dice.jpg

So Why 'Tykhe'? (Tykhe is Cleromancy divination.)

TYKHE the goddess of or “Spirit” of fortune, chance, providence and fate, holding a ball representing the very unsteadiness of fortune, capable of rolling in any direction.
But truly, if Tykhe disapproves, nothing can turn out right for any mortal, and neither wise planning nor shrewd remedies can overturn or reshape the preordained arrangement of divine providence.

Appulauis The Golden Ass.

Now it can be that straightforward but there is much, much more. Once the throwing mat is introduced:

How and where the dice fall have a strong influence on the reading. (the blue and yellow sections in the diagram are for illustration only)

The observant will notice, Rune symbols and a 4th dice...I'll come back to that later :vhappywitch:

malefem.jpg

The casting cloth is divided into the masculine and feminine aspects of the psyche. They represent the influence of the dice. This may be effected by the querient's own personality or the influence or of another person. The Zodiac signs are arranged (as star constellations as well as symbols) in chronological order of the male or female in each section. Half the board Male the other half female.

The casting explained: (ongoing)

cast.jpg

tykheillust500.jpg

10288804_1476547285895227_47479331157971

In this example a strong female influence is governing the current situation.

The Bat: Shadows: warning, prophecy, danger-an omen, signalling good or evil (this depends on other aspects). This dice is further from the others but the same circumference, suggesting an influence equal but separate to the other two.

Dice two: everyday matters, 'love and direction'

diceTwolove.jpg

In the example, a female influence equal distance from the centre as dice one = they are of equal importance.

The Stork: Children and birth, fertility, beginnings, fertility, inventiveness, ingenuity.

Dice 3: Everyday matters, "finance and opportunity'

dice3.jpg

In the example, dice three is influenced by the feminine, equal distance to the centre in the same way as the other two. The proximity to dice two suggests they are closely connected.

The Ladder: Ascension, enthusiasm, ambition, promotion, rising.

Edited by thehoodedman, 19 October 2014 - 11:26 AM.

(The Merlin) Is this all you've learned Morgana? To deal in potions and petty evil.

#2 thehoodedman

thehoodedman

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 12:35 PM

1455865_1472653259617963_712923545819127 An Example: Skull: Symbolic of death and transition.

Key words: Death, mortality, transformation, unexpected change.
It speaks of an ending, the symbols nearby will indicate whether it will be for good or ill, it may seem an alarming symbol to draw, but may not necessarily mean misfortune or death.
It could mean the ending of a relationship or a way of life that could actually bring good into your life.
A sign of your mortality, the end or sudden change of events concerning some matter of importance to you, of transience maybe a portal of new understanding
This symbol is astrologically associated with Saturn’s influences.

(The Merlin) Is this all you've learned Morgana? To deal in potions and petty evil.

#3 Raineylane

Raineylane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 02:12 PM

Very interesting.  I am looking forward to more.

#4 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 05:02 PM

Ok, these are super cool!

RSKHFMY

#5 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 05:47 PM

Neat-o !!! Thanks for this Topic... I'm looking forward to seeing it grow.

The difference between Medicine and Poison is the Dose. :oil-bottle:
I Love you as certain Dark Things are to be Loved,
In Secret, Between the Shadow and the Soul.
- Pablo Neruda

#6 SerpentWitch

SerpentWitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 06:09 PM

I am very interested! Thank you for the info and I would love to learn more.

Posted ImageWalking in Darkness

#7 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:27 PM

Yes, I like the sound of this. Please keep us posted about it's development!

Some are born to sweet delight,

Some are born to endless night.

(Fragments from "Auguries of Innocence") William Blake

#8 Wexler

Wexler

Something wrong? Blame retrograde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:35 PM

This is lovely, and speaks to me. It sounds like a method I could really enjoy using, would you agree Hoodedman that there is a limit to how complex it can become? When I divine with tarot for example I am prone to put down 20 cards at a time, which is often not helpful. But Tykhe dice seem to have a lot of depth with a limit to how much human complication can be added.

'Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.'

'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.'

[avatar source]

#9 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:16 PM

This is great - go you!!!

M

#10 Tana

Tana

Earth Mother

• Moderators
  • 3,763 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:41 PM

Gosh, fascinating! Looking forward to more.

)0( Tana )o(

If I break faith with thee, may the skies fall upon me, the seas drown me, and the earth rise up and swallow me.

#11 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 11:40 AM

So did you paint these dice and the cloth? Also, the extra die that is less "art" painted and just has some runes on it (the 4th dice)- that one is confusing me... how does that one work in a throw? Great idea!

M

#12 thehoodedman

thehoodedman

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 01:30 PM

So did you paint these dice and the cloth? Also, the extra die that is less "art" painted and just has some runes on it (the 4th dice)- that one is confusing me... how does that one work in a throw? Great idea!

M

The dice are printed, as is the cloth. I did the artwork for them, and made the dice. The 4th dice...right...as you've asked. It carries the other 6 runes in the futhark alphabet. ie 18 on the other 3 dice plus 6 =24 (no blank but we did consider another option). That dice has images of my rune set...one I made but don't use. The symbols on the other dice are from that set also. So what you have are the symbols from an actual full rune set.

The casting mat also carries all 24, though I have removed them on this illustration (to avoid confusion though I will add it later). The rune aspect can be used with, alongside or instead of the symbols. It gets pretty complex...if you want it to be? My colleague has written a 52 page book on 'casting with Tykhe,' he is the expert on runes.

So what you have in any one throw also contains: The Zodiac/Constellations, 7 magical planets, runes, 4 elements and metals. All with there Masculine/Feminine aspects.

Tykhe is an evolving divination of course, and others may wish to add their input as it matures.

Edited by thehoodedman, 09 May 2014 - 01:53 PM.

#13 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 10:17 PM

Ahhh... thank you.  I like the idea of having the runes on a set of dice. Could be some quite interesting readings....

M

#14 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 12:32 AM

Hello Hooded Man, :smile:

This intrigues me, I crafted a " Cube " with 72 hand cut illuminated symbols. I'd love to hear more of this.

Regards,

Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#15 Lynn

Lynn

I've been InBetween

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 12:59 AM

I *still* haven't  taken the amount of time I want to, to really look this post over, and do it justice,  but I just wanted to say thanks for posting this and you MADE these?  Wow!  Nice! :smile:  Very cool,nicely designed--like the textures.  And the colors you choose as well, how muted they are, water colorish.

Edited by Lynn, 10 May 2014 - 01:03 AM.

'When in danger, when in doubt, Run in circles, scream and shout" Robert Heinlein.
"Women and cats will do as they please, men and dogs need to relax and get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein

"In Wildness is the preservation of the World." Henry David Thoreau

#16 thehoodedman

thehoodedman

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:18 AM

Hello Hooded Man, :smile:

This intrigues me, I crafted a " Cube " with 72 hand cut illuminated symbols. I'd love to hear more of this.

Regards,

Gypsy

I *still* haven't  taken the amount of time I want to, to really look this post over, and do it justice,  but I just wanted to say thanks for posting this and you MADE these?  Wow!  Nice! :smile:  Very cool,nicely designed--like the textures.  And the colors you choose as well, how muted they are, water colorish.

The die are about a inch square. (the measure of the last joint of a man's thumb) that's around 25mm. A multi faceted die, like yours Gypsy, interesting, do you just roll one...or more?

I worked with the intention that the symbols needed to be clear to see, even in bad light, and large enough to be identified clearly, as obviously they are often upside down. To cast these outdoors, by a fire or at ceremonies just felt right. I often carry them in my pocket, and the cloth folds up easily. White corners...don't get lost so easily in the grass LOL (they are waterproof).

Three in your hand feels wonderful...the clicking sound and texture clear your mind. Also the don't roll as far...which is important for the size of the cloth, and clearly connect with the cloth where they are cast.

Colour to me is so important Lynn, I'm glad they work for you. For me, as an artist, colour says everything about mood, emotion and intent...I'm most passionate about it, you've probably guessed? The symbols are to represent a meaning and inspire a feeling, like medieval woodcuts my vanity isn't needed, the artist is irrelevant...keep them simple and clear. The colour of each symbol is relevant too.

Edited by thehoodedman, 10 May 2014 - 10:19 AM.

#17 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 05:58 PM

A multi faceted die, like yours Gypsy, interesting, do you just roll one...or more?

Hello :smile:

Mine is not die at all, it is a 4 sided Cube. It does not roll, yet it has the capability of spinning.

Regards,

Gypsy

Edited by CelticGypsy, 10 May 2014 - 05:59 PM.

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#18 Roanna

Roanna

She of the spiders and degus...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 06:22 PM

Hello :smile:

Mine is not die at all, it is a 4 sided Cube. It does not roll, yet it has the capability of spinning.

Regards,

Gypsy

I thought either you had made a typo here or I was going mad... so I googled it and having now seen pictures of a 4 sided cube I can imagine it at last....!

Do what you believe to be the right thing and trust yourself.

Witchpathforward My website incorporating "Ask a Witch a Question," my blog and websites of witchy interest.

#19 arianllwynog

arianllwynog

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 05:00 PM

I got involved with the Hooded Man several months ago when he sent me a set of dice to work with, having never really given dice much time I was interested in how working with them firstly on their own and then with the casting cloth worked it's certainly been an interesting journey when asked to give a few notes it's grown into a monster of which I'm still working on the runic elements, the biggest problem i found with runic dice was the limitations of casting but by also have the runes on the casting cloth really opens up the opportunity of a full range of castings.  

#20 arianllwynog

arianllwynog

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 12:18 PM

Well it turns out that a few months is actually a good year or more, I looked at the dice and the various ways of casting and reading them over this time from simply casting one die for a yes or no to the standard three singly (1 general situation 2 money and business 3 relationships/love) or all three together ( 1 past 2 present 3 near future) followed by all three dice cast three times noting down the positions each time giving a more indepth reading of 1 general situation 2 money/business 3 relationships/love all give a fell for the dice before combining the symbols and correspondences of the tykhe board.

One of my early castings was for an elderly neighbour

An elderly lady moved close by soon after she had lost her husband, whilst I was carrying out some work in her new home and during one of our regular chats (with tea and cake I might add), she raise the question as to her joining the local church and to my surprise asked if she could have reading.

The very next day she cast the tykhe dice.

Crossroads-Skull-Key

Well the crossroads showed how she had sought a new path without success, the Skull showed that she was in a time of great change and the Key indicted that the choice that she was planning to make was quite possibly the right choice with new openings and opportunities awaiting her. 

She is very happy in her church community, is now the church treasurer (because of her skills before retirement) and has a happy busy social life.  

If i can figure how to get photo's back out of my journal I'll post them.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cleromancy, Fortune Dice, Runes, Astrology