• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 ArcticWitch

ArcticWitch

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 11:43 PM

Disclaimer: I've never done anything remotely like this before.  My arts and crafts involve micro-paintings onto feathers, canvas art, drawings in sketch paper, and polymer/bead jewelry.  I've never done a wall-hanging mixed media piece before.  Also, although I appreciate fantasy art, I'm not really "into" it per se- and I'm woefully under-educated about fae lore.  Nonetheless, I'm quite pleased with how this turned out.

Two days ago when I was cleaning up my property, a chunk of bark sloughed off a tree I was moving. I glanced at it as I picked it up, with the intention if chucking it into the wheelbarrow with the other waste, when the perfectly round knot-hole caught my eye. In an instant, I conceptualized the entire piece: a fairy curled up in the hole with a book. Took me a few hours to make today, but thankfully it turned out even better than I envisioned in my head. Because of what she is, and the fact she's reading...I couldn't resist giving it the cheeky title "Faery Tales".

Faery Tales wall art piece

She is ridiculously tiny: her entire body can fit onto an American nickel, with room to spare.

Tiny faery reading her book

Materials: clay (her body), orchid petals (dress and wings), downy feathers (her hair), acrylic paint, parchment paper (yes, there are individual pages in her book, and yes I'm insane to put that much detail into something so minuscule.)

#2 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 12:38 AM

She's  wonderful.  I love how a thought, turns into an idea, and an idea,...... becomes. Would you entertain, placing this work of art on the entrance of your home, or a possible garden shed ? 

:smile:

Regards,

Gypsy

Edited : plus 1 for talent and willing to share. :)

Edited by CelticGypsy, 26 April 2014 - 12:39 AM.

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#3 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 01:05 AM

That is amazing!

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#4 witchywolf

witchywolf

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 02:09 AM

that's gorgeous! :D 

#5 ArcticWitch

ArcticWitch

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 04:23 PM

Wow, thanks everyone!   :blush:

Would you entertain, placing this work of art on the entrance of your home, or a possible garden shed ? 

She's too delicate to be exposed to the outside elements (even if in a covered area), so in the home is where she'll reside.  I wanted her featured near our front entrance, but for giggles I asked my partner where he felt she belonged (without influencing his suggestion)- he chose the entrance as well.  :loving:

#6 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 05:40 PM

That is so cool!

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#7 Guest_monsnoleedra_*

Guest_monsnoleedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2014 - 06:21 PM

Very nice.  It has a very faeish feeling and quality to it.  Present in faeish spirit but unobtrusive in faeish energy.

#8 Aurelia

Aurelia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 04:48 AM

That's wonderful! And definitely not insane with the detail, I think touches like that are great :)

#9 Roanna

Roanna

She of the spiders and degus...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 09:57 AM

Wonderful work Arctic Witch. Inspiration that powerful should never be wasted x

Do what you believe to be the right thing and trust yourself.

Witchpathforward My website incorporating "Ask a Witch a Question," my blog and websites of witchy interest.

#10 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 07:43 PM

You are wonderfully talented, AW.  I love your work !!! 

Thanks for sharing your inspirations and I look forward to seeing your future creations :smile:

Edited by Nikki, 27 April 2014 - 09:37 PM.

The difference between Medicine and Poison is the Dose. :oil-bottle:
I Love you as certain Dark Things are to be Loved,
In Secret, Between the Shadow and the Soul.
- Pablo Neruda

#11 Raineylane

Raineylane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 02:20 PM

Very intricate work!  How on earth do you work with something so tiny?  Hey, you might be on to something here.  Ever thought about making these little fairies in natural finds to sell on Ebay or elsewhere?

#12 ArcticWitch

ArcticWitch

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 03:07 AM

Thanks again for your kind words, folks!

Very intricate work!  How on earth do you work with something so tiny?  Hey, you might be on to something here.  Ever thought about making these little fairies in natural finds to sell on Ebay or elsewhere?

My main art style is intricate miniature paintings, so it wasn't a huge leap to try a multi-dimensional piece.  I am working on producing enough items to make a decent selection for a witchy Etsy store- but I wasn't sure if something like this would appeal to potential buyers.  It's so delicate, I fear it would crumble if shipped.  It's certainly something for me to think about, though: thanks for the suggestion!

#13 Horne

Horne

Wyrdling

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:21 PM

Perfection!

“Awake becomes
what once was known,

forgetfulness is fleeting.”

#14 Izzie

Izzie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 10:49 AM

Such a beautiful piece of art! I love the details, you really put some love into it :)
Know thyself means this, that you get acquainted with what you know, and what you can do.- Menander

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fae, fairy, faery, art