Nyx

"Life Quotes" which inspire you

I had a conversation with a friend earlier and we were talking about the power of words and really understanding the meaning of them. Whilst she is not pagan, we discussed how some famous quotes/meanings can inspire and affect certain people and not others.

So, this is a thread to share some 'life quotes' which you find inspiring or motivational. I'm quite an optimist and consider myself a younger and more attractive version of Dumbledore as I throw 'wise words' left, right and centre. Here some are of mine:

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind, don't matter and those who matter, don't mind" Dr Seuss 
(My life motto)

"I'd rather sit on a pumpkin by myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion" Henry David Thoreau
(My life story)

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.” Albert Einstein
(As a trained teacher, this has to be one of my all time favorites)

"If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred and minus one so I never have to live without you" A.A. Milne
(My favorite childhood quote from Winnie The Pooh)

This kind of literature is my little passion within the classroom and work place. Feel free to share yours - I love to see peoples personal favorites! 

Edited by Nyx

What we do in life echoes in eternity.

- Maximus, Gladiator

"To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world."    Author unknown.

A personal fave - "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."    Eleanor Roosevelt.

"A woman is like a tea bag, you never know how strong she is until she's in hot water."    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Failure is a status reserved for those willing to try."    Author unknown, but I love this saying. 

M

Edited by Michele

"For every person there is a sentence - a series of words - which has the power to destroy them." - Philip K. Dick

Douglass Adams teaches us two important lessons in witchcraft:

"Reality is frequently inaccurate."

"Don't panic."

• Upvote 2

Speak softly and carry a big stick; you'll go far - Teddy Roosevelt (one of my personal heroes, though not for his politics). Though attributed to Teddy he credited it as a West African adage.

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein (another personal hero)

Growing new organs of the body as they wear out, extending the human lifespan? What's not to like? -Michio Kaku

And of course:

It is never too late to be what you might have been. -George Eliot

• Upvote 1

Sometimes walking away has nothing
to do with weakness,
and everything to do with strength.
We walk away not
because we want others to realize
our worth and value
but because we have finally realized our own.

Author unknown

• Upvote 1

Two more I found today:

"That confused, angry, frustrated feeling is the sensation of growth."

"When you do strange things, strange things will happen."

• Upvote 1

I have come to the frightening conclusion that I am the decisive element. It is my personal approach that creates the climate. It is my daily mood that makes the weather. I possess tremendous power to make life miserable or joyous. I can be a tool of torture or an instrument of inspiration, I can humiliate or humor, hurt or heal. In all situations, it is my response that decides whether a crisis is escalated or de-escalated, and a person is humanized or de-humanized. If we treat people as they are, we make them worse. If we treat people as they ought to be, we help them become what they are capable of becoming.

~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Long but my favorite

• Upvote 3

I think this may be relevant, I suppose it really depends on your point of view.

"Progress comes to those who train and train; reliance on secret techniques will get you nowhere." Morihei Ueshiba

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. Lao-tzuThe Way of Lao-tzu

Chinese philosopher (604 BC - 531 BC)

My favourite comes from the 1960s TV series The Prisoner; a show where the heroic protagonist is isolated on a secret island until he explains to the satisfaction of the unknown interest parties why he resigned from his role in government. An exploration of the individual at odds with the concept of communal conformity. Really worth a watch - surrealism at its finest:

"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered... My life is my own."

and

"I am not a number, I am a free man."

Guest monsnoleedra

Don't recall who said or wrote them but two I live by

Can't never did nothing till it tried!

No one can make you or break you unless you let them!

After the last week and a half I think my favorite life quote has become

Fuck you.

I'm still kicking.  Just busier than I've ever been before.

• Upvote 2

This one is relevant for me today. I have received so much advice lately to relax, but I am not sure relaxing is very much in my nature. But this quote helps.

"Whatever the present moment contains, accept it as if you had chosen it. Always work with it, not against it." -Eckhart Tolle

• Upvote 1

"To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world."    Author unknown.

A personal fave - "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."    Eleanor Roosevelt.

"A woman is like a tea bag, you never know how strong she is until she's in hot water."    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Failure is a status reserved for those willing to try."    Author unknown, but I love this saying. 

M

Eleanor Roosevelt was one of my personal heroes while growing up. I couldn't get enough info about her and was always reading everything I could find about her. (Another was Maria Mitchell.)

Douglass Adams teaches us two important lessons in witchcraft:

"Reality is frequently inaccurate."

"Don't panic."

Did you celebrate Towel Day this year? I did.

Anne Frank:

"Everyone has inside of him a piece of good news.The good news is you don't know how great you can be! How much you can love! What you can accomplish! And what your potential is!"

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world."

"The final forming of a person's character lies in their own hands."

"I don't think of all the misery but of the beauty that still remains."

And one of her most well-known:

"I keep my ideals, because in spite of everything I stil believe that people are really good at heart. I simply can't build my hopes up on a foundation consisting of confusion, misery and death." 

Maria Mitchell, one of my childhood idols:

"The best that can be said of my life so far is that has been industrious, and the best that can be said of me is that I have not pretended to what I was not."

Susan B Anthony:

"Organize, agitate, educate, must be our war cry."

"I distrust so well those people who know what God wants them to do, because I notice it always coincides with their own desires."

• Upvote 1

Let it out and let it in.  - Paul McCartney

This line had a great impact on my life several years ago. I love it so much I had it tattoo'd on my inner arm.

• Upvote 1

"I have become my own version of an optimist. If I can't make it through one door, I'll go through another door - or I'll make a door. Something terrific will come no matter how dark the present."

-Rabindranath Tagore

Edited by Horne

"The ultimate weapon has always existed. Every man, every woman, and every child owns it. It's the ability to say No and take the consequences. Fear is failure.The fear of death is the beginning of slavery."  

Hagbard Celine

• Upvote 2

“Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Upvote 3

"La strega è un frutto di terra" (A strega is a fruit of the land) - Mandragora, Italian witch

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions" - K. Marx

"I contradict myself?

Well, then I contradict myself.

I am large, I contain multitudes" - W Whitman