18 replies to this topic

#1 Wexler

Wexler

Something wrong? Blame retrograde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 06:59 PM

I considered that this may be a better topic for the private area, because I think the topic of malicious attack from a witch or psychic makes some people uncomfortable (not the folks on TW, but just other people in general who come by the forum). But I think it is still important to discuss.

I found some relevant threads on protection on the forum:

Protection

Personal Protections

Protection Symbols

When Things Happen in Witches' Lives

What do you do for home protection?

Witch Bottles

I admit I didn't go re-read all those threads just now. But from what I remember most of them have to do with defending against happenstance, mundane people, and spirits of various degrees. I think the exception may be witch bottles, which I have always seen as being a defense specifically against witches. I feel that defending against an attack from another Practitioner is less often discussed because it seems to be uncommon, compared to what the world throws at us every day. Even on TW, when someone shares a story of being attacked, I think there are more stories of malicious spirit attacks than one from a human.

I am certain I have never been attacked by a witch or psychic, or any person of supernatural talent. But I have always gotten the sense that even if someone is well-protected, it isn't hard to get to them (even if they can easily discover you and their retaliation is great).

I suspect that part of the problem is the ingenuity of human aggressors and the inability to lock down every part of your life. This post by Monsnoleedra talks about etheric cords, and how they can provide ample opportunity for someone to get past your defenses and launch an attack.

In light of this, how can attackers get through our defenses? How can we stop them or protect ourselves? What can you do, proactively, to help prevent an attack or reduce it's effects?

'Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.'

'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.'

[avatar source]

#2 Wexler

Wexler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:04 PM

Public posting of scryed personal information aside, I think the points you make are useful.

Your windshield analogy was what I was trying to get at in my original post - defending against happenstance. I have also heard it said from other sources that the best defense is to not piss anybody off enough that they want to ruin your life.

You've provided different ways a malicious person could get past someone's defenses and attack them. But what is a person to do if their defenses are breached? I can't imagine a witch thus attacked would be totally defenseless, even if they are at a disadvantage.

For some reason I am thinking a good defense might be a strong offense, to hit someone back with enough force that they decide to back down. But that also seems like a good way to escalate in to 'witch wars' without providing a good exit strategy.

[avatar source]

#3 Guest_monsnoleedra_*

Guest_monsnoleedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:13 PM

Sorry didn't realize this area was public.  When you wrote "I considered that this may be a better topic for the private area," I had assumed it was a closed area.  Will probably go back and remove most of that now.  Should add though what I said wasn't active scrying just what popped into my head as an example.

Edited to add parts of the original post that is being reference in this discussion'

Truthfully the greatest defense I ever encountered was one where the person did nothing to attract attention to themselves. It's equatable to the notion of passing protected through the forest. It's movement and action that gets things to notice you and be curious about you. Once curious then they have to come closer and take a look. Holds true whether one is in the middle of the forest, some desert or a city street in the physical or upon some extra dimensional spot like the astral or etheral.

There are a lot of so called protection spells and techniques that are out there. Mirrors, witch bottles, rotating walls or barriers, shields that causes things to slide around them, things to be pushed away or reflected back upon any who would observe, heck even some that profess to capture the energy or essence of someone watching or attacking and hold it. But to me the thing is those are all like a windshield in a car. They are great at things that happen to simply brush up against it as you drive around. Some things will be like water and strike it, smear outward and be carried to the sides. Other things will be like bugs that strike it and splatter simply because you moved towards them or in passing they simply couldn't get out of the way. None of them focused or dedicated towards breaching your windshield, simply going about their daily lives or actions. In my opinion probably 90 - 95 percent of things that touch us are not concerned with us at all so those shields perform as people like to think. Then we move through the swarm of gnats, wipe away the clingy stuff and keep going on.

Yet if someone applies force and focus upon those shields they will be penetrated. Like a brick thrown with intent and purpose of breaking a windshield the defense is breached. The greater the purpose and focus the greater the energy being applied to breaching the barrier. The more energy the quicker the shield fails and the walls come tumbling down.

Historically its always been easier to gain entry than it has been to protect and keep an opposing force out.  Shields and protections are like the old Maginot Line of WWII fame.  It was constructed to with stand any assault upon it.  To have the enemy crash upon it and go away in defeat and frustration.  Unfortunately it failed completely, because the enemy simply went around all the protection with a dedicated determination to breach and bypass it.  While the majority of the encounters one will experience will crash upon their protections and shields, that small percentage will penetrate them every time regardless of what barrier you place before you. 

The 101 books and most practitioners will never admit it simply because most will never be subjected to a dedicated attack.  In that capacity its like a curse, many will talk of doing curses but only a limited few will dedicate the time, focus, energy and commitment to make it happen.

Edited by monsnoleedra, 15 April 2014 - 05:03 PM.

#4 Guest_monsnoleedra_*

Guest_monsnoleedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:17 PM

As far as defense, the best defense is to know how ones own defenses can be penetrated.  That was what I was trying to show.  Many times its in knowing how they got in that allows you to push them out or box them in and trap them.  Figure if I can come at your because of a family member or your emotional attachment to them then you have to either hide that connection or figure out how to filter what comes across.

#5 Wexler

Wexler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:02 PM

Sorry didn't realize this area was public.  When you wrote "I considered that this may be a better topic for the private area," I had assumed it was a closed area.  Will probably go back and remove most of that now.  Should add though what I said wasn't active scrying just what popped into my head as an example.

I understand the confusion :smile: And the usefulness of your example.

In the past some folks have shared with me impressions they have gotten from me, usually in Chat though. It is extremely interesting what people can pick up, who are hundreds or thousands of miles away from you and whom you have never met.

If TW has taught me one thing, it is that what you put in to your words can be more important that what the words themselves say.

...And it is one of the reasons I rarely try to lie on the forum. It's hard to pull the wool over people's eyes here!

Speaking from a defensive perspective, you are saying that it pays to be able to understand how people get past your defenses so you can work on keeping them out, right?

I think that this is related to the handy phrase "witch, know thyself" but also having a general awareness about your life and surroundings. I have been hit hard by a few things simply because I was not aware of them while they were developing. If I had paid more attention to my life and the energies that flow around me, I would have detected that something was off and stopped things before a mess was made. The more I get to know myself, the better I can identify when a thought or emotion does not come from me.

Although I did not consider it to be defensive, recently I have made an effort to gain control of the connections between myself and the people close to me. I did this because I don't have excellent social boundaries and needed to control the flow between myself and other people in order for our relationships to thrive. In retrospect, this may also be a good way to defend against attack. In your post you detailed how someone can use the connection between the target and their loved ones to get in past their defenses. But if someone is acutely aware of the stream between themselves and another person, and already placed a boundary or filter between what can be shared, this may provide a good alert system to see if something nasty is coming down the pipes.

[avatar source]

#6 Guest_monsnoleedra_*

Guest_monsnoleedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:21 PM

Guess I can't even repost it now as the spot has been deleted.  Oh well.

#7 travsha

travsha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:25 PM

I have only really been attacked by people on accident.  They were people who did not practice magic, and were just very jealous or angry at me, and thought about me so much that the thought built it's own energy and became an attack.  This happened last winter actually, and was surprisingly harsh for an accidental attack - I lived with the person at the time, which is part of the reason their attack had such an effect.  The person also experienced TONS of backlash from their own accidental curse - not because I retaliated, but because they didnt contain it.  I did some energy removal, and protection work after I moved out, and things have been fine since.

In the Amazon, where I study, attacks are common place.  Much of their magic developed around tribal warfare, hunting, and solving disputes.  You can hire people to curse others there.  Many healers are also competitive and some get real jealous of other healers making money.  I know a number of people who have been attacked before - some couldnt eat or drink water for days they became so sick.  Many shamans and people I have met there claim that they have lost relatives to curses.  It's kinda intense.

Of course, protection is the first thing to take care of.  Preventative work is always preferred!  

If there is an attack, I usually focus on a few points (I have helped lots of other people this way).  One is to provide protection, another to remove unwanted energy/spirits, and the last part is to connect to personal power (a form of protection in some ways).  Usually attacks look for week spots to manifest in.  If you are connected to your personal power, there is less room for intrusive energy to take effect on you.  In this way, personal healing can even become a form of preventative protection.  

#8 Wexler

Wexler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:39 PM

Guess I can't even repost it now as the spot has been deleted.  Oh well.

I still see both of your posts up there, are you sure you can't edit one of them? It would be a shame to lose your entire post!

I have only really been attacked by people on accident.  They were people who did not practice magic, and were just very jealous or angry at me, and thought about me so much that the thought built it's own energy and became an attack.  This happened last winter actually, and was surprisingly harsh for an accidental attack - I lived with the person at the time, which is part of the reason their attack had such an effect.  The person also experienced TONS of backlash from their own accidental curse - not because I retaliated, but because they didnt contain it.  I did some energy removal, and protection work after I moved out, and things have been fine since.

In the Amazon, where I study, attacks are common place.  Much of their magic developed around tribal warfare, hunting, and solving disputes.  You can hire people to curse others there.  Many healers are also competitive and some get real jealous of other healers making money.  I know a number of people who have been attacked before - some couldnt eat or drink water for days they became so sick.  Many shamans and people I have met there claim that they have lost relatives to curses.  It's kinda intense.

Of course, protection is the first thing to take care of.  Preventative work is always preferred!  

If there is an attack, I usually focus on a few points (I have helped lots of other people this way).  One is to provide protection, another to remove unwanted energy/spirits, and the last part is to connect to personal power (a form of protection in some ways).  Usually attacks look for week spots to manifest in.  If you are connected to your personal power, there is less room for intrusive energy to take effect on you.  In this way, personal healing can even become a form of preventative protection.  

When I first got interested in protection I picked up a book by Jason Miller. He recommends a three-point approach to defense, which is daily meditation, offerings, and banishing. This sounds similar to your approach. In the past I have worked with the concept of linking shields to a source of personal power as opposed to an external energy source, which I think works quite well.

If I were trying to help someone who had been the victim of attack, I think I would also take a multi-point approach to simultaneously protect, banish, secure, and empower. When there is a blind defense against the aggressor, perhaps divination could be best employed to reveal the attacker and method of entry, after which a proper defense could be launched to try and put the problem to bed. I'm sure it wouldn't be all that simple, but it could be a good start.

[avatar source]

#9 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 11:47 PM

This whole area is public so long as you're a Seeker.  There's the getting to know each other period before full membership.  Sometimes it's quick - sometimes it's not.

It's just the way the forum is set up.

I really would've liked to have read those.

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#10 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 11:48 PM

I'm not overly in to witch wars, simply because, like in any war, a defense is only going to be good if the other person's attack isn't better. And once started a punch thrown is answered, and vice versa, and years go by. Fanning a flame feeds a fire. And defense and counter-attack can both work to fan. Stifle the flame and you kill the fire. The fire being their DESIRE to attack. Stop that desire to attack and you've removed the problem before it even becomes a problem.

I think one of the best defenses is to be boring (or appear to be). Something that cloaks you and drops you off their radar - not so their "magic" can't find you, but so that you simply no longer interest them until they can't even remember what the tiff was about in the first place. Not cloak you so they can't find you... they'll know you're hiding and it will interest them. But to cloak you so only what you want them to see can be seen... and add to that an illusion of complete boredom-not-worth-the-effort.

If it's a  mundane person - say someone you work with, you can just create a diversion of their interest so they forget about you. Just manipulate their circumstances a bit... they've got a new hot project they're into and you've got them off your back. Both sides come out on top, and you're no longer interesting to them so there won't be a residual bad feeling coming up again later.

M

#11 RoseRed

RoseRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 12:06 AM

Psychic Self Defense 101 - Good shields. 

Layered shields of varying intensity.  I prefer the outer ones to be a good camouflage.  If you're not seen then what is there to attack?  As you go deeper into the networked shields they can be created to be offensive, cause pain, nausea, general ickiness, etc.  They can work in tandem with one another to intensify each other.

Something that helped me tremendously in understanding a networked self defense was studying old castles.  There are layers of defenses.  There are layers of offenses.  They know what they weak points are - that's why they create offense in a defensible area.  Whether it's castles, military bases, anything that's set up to be protected and defended if necessary is a good place to start.

The best defense is a good offense but Michele's right - continued fighting can breed more fighting unless you're really good at overwhelming or brute force.  But brute force can be overcome by simple manipulation.  Look at the big shiny thing I gave you to attack while the spell encapsulated in the miniature burns through your defenses while you're otherwise occupied.

I've been accused in the past about worrying too much about psychic defense.  I think I have good reason.  My introduction to witchcraft - to the magical aspects of it - was through a brutal attack that turned into a full blown Witch War.  Sink or swim - fall or fly.  You can amaze yourself at what you can do in those kinds of circumstances.  90 pound Moms can lift cars off of babies. 

I think the most ridiculous Witch Wars are the ones started over the internet over petty disagreements or misunderstandings.  I've seen it so many times.  They happen.  Someone doesn't like what you say and the next thing you know - they're throwing a hex at you.  I've also seen Witch Wars take place that have had some pretty damn good reasons for war.  It's just a part of walking these paths and interacting with others. 

In your post you detailed how someone can use the connection between the target and their loved ones to get in past their defenses. But if someone is acutely aware of the stream between themselves and another person, and already placed a boundary or filter between what can be shared, this may provide a good alert system to see if something nasty is coming down the pipes.

Yeah, I learned that one the hard way.

#12 Guest_monsnoleedra_*

Guest_monsnoleedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2014 - 12:18 AM

OK I quite on this one lost the message this time.

Edited by monsnoleedra, 15 April 2014 - 12:22 AM.

#13 Wexler

Wexler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 12:54 AM

If it's a  mundane person - say someone you work with, you can just create a diversion of their interest so they forget about you. Just manipulate their circumstances a bit... they've got a new hot project they're into and you've got them off your back. Both sides come out on top, and you're no longer interesting to them so there won't be a residual bad feeling coming up again later.

M

This would work on me so well. I get very easily side-tracked with projects. I love to start things and hate to finish them.

Do you think this technique would also work on magical people, depending on their temperament? I imagine that some magical attacks are started by people who are bored and unconsciously (or consciously) find enemies to occupy their time.

[avatar source]

#14 RoseRed

RoseRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 01:09 AM

Yeah, I think so.  Magical or not - people can get distracted or sidetracked.  Some easier than others.

#15 travsha

travsha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 04:17 PM

I still see both of your posts up there, are you sure you can't edit one of them? It would be a shame to lose your entire post!

When I first got interested in protection I picked up a book by Jason Miller. He recommends a three-point approach to defense, which is daily meditation, offerings, and banishing. This sounds similar to your approach. In the past I have worked with the concept of linking shields to a source of personal power as opposed to an external energy source, which I think works quite well.

If I were trying to help someone who had been the victim of attack, I think I would also take a multi-point approach to simultaneously protect, banish, secure, and empower. When there is a blind defense against the aggressor, perhaps divination could be best employed to reveal the attacker and method of entry, after which a proper defense could be launched to try and put the problem to bed. I'm sure it wouldn't be all that simple, but it could be a good start.

--------------------------------

Yes, you have to perform some type of divination.  I guess I skipped this step in my description, because for me, it isnt really a separate step.....  I usually work with spirit guides who will show me the problem, then help me fix it, so it feels like one step, but really that is divination + extraction.  You wouldnt know what to extract without some type of divination though.

#16 Guest_monsnoleedra_*

Guest_monsnoleedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2014 - 03:39 AM

One aspect of defending against potential malicious attacks is ignored or underplayed in today's society I think.  Well underplayed in Paganism in general though it is pretty well utilized in Afro-Caribbean Disapora practices.  .  Yet it is perhaps one of the easiest to safe guard against   That is the usage of the "dead" to act upon the living.

The means is via a curse type table or workings. Not the type where you caste it upon a person but call upon the shades of the restless dead. The practitioner takes and makes a binding or curse tablet and places it in a graveyard, especially an older one where the unholy might have been buried. Note unholy is not in the biblical sense of the word.  Use an inscription to call upon them to perform your task and make the promise of providing a proper funeral rite or appropriate offerings and blessings for them if they do as you ask. Others can be done via asking ones gods / goddesses to call upon the dead and compel them to do your tasking. Hekate / Hecate is one that is often referenced in archaic practices but any chthonic god / goddess could aid you. From a Voudoo, HooDoo, Voudon, Santeria (Disapora practices) perspective one might call upon certain Orisha or Loa's (sorry not my specialty but have a bit of knowledge). Again proper offerings, sacrifices, etc to call upon the dead or divine / semi-divine forces.

Persons who have been buried without proper ritual, ceremony and thanks / recognition in many beliefs can be compelled to perform "actions" for a would be practitioner.  Many times minor actions such as simply to haunt the persons dreams and give them restless nights.  Other times to even go to the extent of causing a physical death to the targeted individual.  In rare occasions to mind trap the individual and take effective control over their lives and to some extent their bodies.  Almost zombie like in how the person so attacked looses control and becomes a patsy for the practitioner who has called upon such powers.  Figure for instance a person who identifies as pagan, lets say Nordic for example, dies and is buried under Christian proceedings.  That shade is a prime candidate for being bribed as the burial rituals and such maybe seen as being ineffective or appropriate to allow the shade to crossover and drop its earthly garb.

The easiest and perhaps most affective / effective means of blocking such actions is to provide provide crossing ceremonies and honorings for ones family members or friends.  Singing of travelings songs of honor and praise for the deceased and letting the spirit world know of their crossing.  Adding the death meal plate to ones table is also a means of honoring and providing for the spirits of the deceased who wander between the worlds.  Sometimes it's as simple as praying over the graves of those who died violent deaths, untimely deaths, scorned deaths or even self inflicted deaths.  Perhaps the hardest is the forgiveness of the deceased that lay buried in unhallowed ground. 

Recognition of such an attack can be difficult but not impossible to detect.  One such indicator is the constant nightmares, night frights perhaps even things like being ridden by a night hag.  A lot of times its the recognition of the deceased in your dreams and potentially visions of them in your waking moments.  Occasionally there will be a aromatic association with things of the grave.

Under old Hellenic influences the practitioner frequently offers to perform the required burial rituals, offerings, honorings, etc to the shade once it has done the desired tasks.  Though not seen today that I am aware of one could also gain control over the deceased by holding some item(s) of the deceased and using it to call their spirit forth.  Folk lore wise one indicator of said trapping occurring would be visible during the funeral itself, that being if birds didn't scream the spirit was captured.  If the birds became very noisy and flighty the soul or shade evaded capture and crossed over or was guided to what ever boundary or waiting place its spirituality / religious practices provided for.  For some native American nations passing through a graveyard or funeral area was sufficient enough to disturb the dead and cause them to walk and become troublesome until proper steps were taken to return the shade to its hereafter.

As I said though not exceptionally acknowledged today as a means of creating malicious actions against a person but still something to consider and keep in ones skill sets I'd think.

#17 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 05:48 PM

Bump

RSKHFMY

#18 witchinplainsight

witchinplainsight

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 10:42 PM

Thanks so much for this - I know it's an old thread but a repost on another thread was very timely.

#19 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 06:56 AM

Actually, rebooting old threads is preferred to mucking the boards up with repetitive garbage. Some of the older threads are some of the best threads and it makes life easier to keep info somewhat organized on a board like this.

RSKHFMY