- - - - -

Have you discovered and / or faced your shadow / Contrary totem?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_monsnoleedra_*

Guest_monsnoleedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2014 - 03:06 PM

Have you discovered and / or faced your shadow / Contrary totem?

In many of the notions and ideas one encounters while searching across the web one often comes across the concept of the totem and / or power animal. This is truly nothing new as the concept of power animals and totems have been inclusive in many societies to be found about the globe. Those creatures that service to guide us and at times inspire us to new heights. Creature's that maybe anything from the smallest of field mice to the largest of land or sea creatures.

Go to nearly any site dealing with almost any type of shamanic notion and they are to be found. Heck, today they are found upon many sites that claim to simply be Pagan in nature or in other earth based religious / spiritual practices.  One finds pages upon pages of animal medicine and what each is used for and how it teaches it lesson. Almost always seen in a positive or loving light and they readily come when the person goes on a quest for their animal totem or power animal.

Yet have you met or discovered your shadow totem on your journeys? Have you gone on journey to find your totem or power animal only to be faced with some dark terror that rises from the grass or steps out of the darkest forest? That creature that just inspires dreaded fear in you, even the very though of it making you shudder or give you nightmares?

Well chances are that creature that fills you with such dread is your shadow totem. A totem which maybe with you for a few days, months, year’s or until such time as you face it and overcome the lessons it has to teach you. That creature that serves to teach you the darker, perhaps the weaker side of yourself. Those creature's that are reflective of our deepest fears at times and hold the lesson to overcome them.

For many years one of mine was snake. Of all creature's that could have come to me or did come to me none bothered me more than snake did. Snake scared me whether I encountered it in dreamtime or in real time. The simple site of snake was enough to quicken the beat of my heart and make me shutter in my very steps. One of those things where you couldn't really say why it did just that it did.

It took me a long time to realize that snake bothered me for snake always was the thing with lying or revealing skins. It changed its skin to become new and grow yet it also left behind the old skin to mark its passage. Long after it was long gone did it continue to send shivers up the spine when I found them. The very images of that old skin enough to fill my mind with what ifs and where was it now thoughts.

Today snake and I are on better terms and I understand both it and myself better. The ability to grow into the new does not mean what one sees in one skin is always the truth or that lies lay beneath the layers. Snake is not the hidden terror or fear that lies beside the road just waiting to strike. It is not just the primordial fear that is instilled in the Christian myths of the serpent and Garden of Eden tales.

Nope snake is so much more though at times its lessons are difficult to learn, especially when snake is also a shadow totem and the manifestation of what you fear.

The thing one has to remember is that our totem / power animals serve to guide and teach us. They often appeal to our individual strengths and represent many of the things we see in ourselves on some levels. Most of their lessons are straight up and easily understood and recognized.

The shadow totem is almost the opposite of all that. They are almost contrary in the manner they teach and show things to us. They tend to slap us, often in the face, with our own weakness and fears. Yet they do so in a contrary manner, almost like the jesters of old that made fun and humiliated society in the nonsense manner they did it.  One might even say they are the opposite of everything we think of the particular creature.

To some rabbit is a creature of family, strength in numbers and a fighter that is willing to fight when needed but run in others. He is a symbol of sexuality and breeding. Yet as a shadow he is symbolic of weakness and fear. He runs blindly and with no sense of direction. Flees when he should stand and stands when he should flee. Produces regardless of the land’s ability to support and eats beyond his home’s ability to sustain his life. Endangers his family from sheer numbers.

So on one hand shadow shows what is desired and strong on the other hand teaches the same lesson but in the opposites of its strengths. Granted there is more to it than just that but that gives you an idea.

So next time you go looking for that animal that is to be your guide or totem, give pause to the creature that appears on the fringes or in the shadows it just might be your shadow totem come calling. 

Edited by monsnoleedra, 12 April 2014 - 03:07 PM.

#2 Wexler

Wexler

Something wrong? Blame retrograde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 08:15 PM

I should have read this when you posted it, M.

'Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.'

'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.'

[avatar source]

#3 witchywolf

witchywolf

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 09:04 PM

that's very interesting because i am right now doing work with my power animal~ the wolf~ and when i first did a journey, i landed in this massive forest, and it scared me at first because it was so vast and dark. i'm trying to work through not letting these things bother me because it's just how nature is.... just love having those old catholic stigma's .... 

#4 Wexler

Wexler

Something wrong? Blame retrograde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 09:31 PM

that's very interesting because i am right now doing work with my power animal~ the wolf~ and when i first did a journey, i landed in this massive forest, and it scared me at first because it was so vast and dark. i'm trying to work through not letting these things bother me because it's just how nature is.... just love having those old catholic stigma's .... 

I could not comment on your personal path, but maybe overcoming the fear of the forest is necessary in order to work with the wolf.

I think context is a very important part of understanding something. I can get 100% more out of a book if I know about the author, the time period in which it was written, and the literary trends surrounding it. Likewise it is easier for me to understand the cactus if I've baked in the desert or the fish if I've been immersed in the sea. Nothing really exists in a vacuum, and I think to comprehend something you (the general you) need to also comprehend the environment which created it, nourished it, and will eventually take its life away.

At least, those are my two cents... I am just musing :)

'Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.'

'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.'

[avatar source]

#5 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 10:00 PM

I've known my power animal/s for many years now... And, think I have faced my contrary.... Yet it wasn't an animal... meaning non-human.

This shadow is human and the battle was epic. 

The difference between Medicine and Poison is the Dose. :oil-bottle:
I Love you as certain Dark Things are to be Loved,
In Secret, Between the Shadow and the Soul.
- Pablo Neruda

#6 witchywolf

witchywolf

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 05:11 AM

I could not comment on your personal path, but maybe overcoming the fear of the forest is necessary in order to work with the wolf.

I think context is a very important part of understanding something. I can get 100% more out of a book if I know about the author, the time period in which it was written, and the literary trends surrounding it. Likewise it is easier for me to understand the cactus if I've baked in the desert or the fish if I've been immersed in the sea. Nothing really exists in a vacuum, and I think to comprehend something you (the general you) need to also comprehend the environment which created it, nourished it, and will eventually take its life away.

At least, those are my two cents... I am just musing

Yeah i think you're right. it's weird to me, i grew up in forests and used to walk in them all the time as a child, but since the last year dealing with things hiding in trees that i can't see i think i'm getting paranoid and it's effecting my spiritual growth. i'm just trying to figure out how to go about that without freaking myself out without making something negative out of something that's not to begin with you know? would be much easier if i could see them lol 

btw sorry monsnoleedra it's kinda off topic...  :blush: 

#7 Guest_monsnoleedra_*

Guest_monsnoleedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2014 - 01:31 PM

I think context is a very important part of understanding something. I can get 100% more out of a book if I know about the author, the time period in which it was written, and the literary trends surrounding it. Likewise it is easier for me to understand the cactus if I've baked in the desert or the fish if I've been immersed in the sea. Nothing really exists in a vacuum, and I think to comprehend something you (the general you) need to also comprehend the environment which created it, nourished it, and will eventually take its life away.

At least, those are my two cents... I am just musing

Yeah i think you're right. it's weird to me, i grew up in forests and used to walk in them all the time as a child, but since the last year dealing with things hiding in trees that i can't see i think i'm getting paranoid and it's effecting my spiritual growth. i'm just trying to figure out how to go about that without freaking myself out without making something negative out of something that's not to begin with you know? would be much easier if i could see them lol 

btw sorry monsnoleedra it's kinda off topic...  :blush: 

Not at all witchywolf, dealing with contrary / shadow aspects is all about fears and understanding them.  My personal opinion but I think people forget a contrary or totem like character does not have to be an animal but can be of any kingdom.

#8 witchywolf

witchywolf

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 04:47 PM

that's true thank you :) 

#9 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 03:21 AM

I have run into something like this before....I can only describe it as an embodiment of some sort of invasion. It's terrifying, it has filled my dreams in the form of people breaking into my house, things snatching me up, it has shown up behind people and to me. Sometimes, they are just normal nightmares, but when this "embodiment" shows up, the feeling of terror is different and diagnostic of this entity.It's hard to describe well, but "dark," "human-like," and "fucking terrifying" describe it pretty well. Not sure if this would count as a shadow totem or not, but it has not hurt me for all the years I have experienced it, off and on. On the off chance that it's something like a shadow totem, sorry Charlie can't work with it for a while, don't even have the strength of will to do anything but be immobilized by it. I've never felt such a cold, hair-raising, thorough feeling of dread from anything else in my life - not people dying, not pain, not my other fears, not a damn thing. I hope to hell it's not a "shadow totem," because frankly I'd rather just keep the damned thing blocked off and out of my life.

Edited by Ravenshaw, 11 May 2014 - 03:24 AM.

RSKHFMY

#10 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 04:41 AM

I have run into something like this before....I can only describe it as an embodiment of some sort of invasion. It's terrifying, it has filled my dreams in the form of people breaking into my house, things snatching me up, it has shown up behind people and to me. Sometimes, they are just normal nightmares, but when this "embodiment" shows up, the feeling of terror is different and diagnostic of this entity.It's hard to describe well, but "dark," "human-like," and "fucking terrifying" describe it pretty well. Not sure if this would count as a shadow totem or not, but it has not hurt me for all the years I have experienced it, off and on. On the off chance that it's something like a shadow totem, sorry Charlie can't work with it for a while, don't even have the strength of will to do anything but be immobilized by it. I've never felt such a cold, hair-raising, thorough feeling of dread from anything else in my life - not people dying, not pain, not my other fears, not a damn thing. I hope to hell it's not a "shadow totem," because frankly I'd rather just keep the damned thing blocked off and out of my life.

Ravenshaw, what you wrote is  something close to what I've experienced, too. It went on for years - on different planes. First occurring in dreams, then taking other forms. Terrifying is the word I'd use, too. I battled despite the terror, knowing it was unavoidable, inevitable and, just time to take control of it.

What I never expected that a human-form totem is even possible. 

After racking my brains for years, it was the only explanation that seemed to fit (or seemed to fit best) -- yet, I've yet to find any documentation to support this conclusion. 

I'm surprised -- having thrown it out there -- that I've not be convinced otherwise, i.e., a shadow totem must be an animal. Interesting. 

Edited by Nikki, 11 May 2014 - 04:41 AM.

- Pablo Neruda

#11 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 02:38 PM

Ravenshaw - that actually sounds more like a spirit who's found an all it can eat buffet.  Fear and terror taste good to some spirits/entities.

Has anything worked for you in the past to make it go away when you sense it with those specific feelings?

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#12 Guest_monsnoleedra_*

Guest_monsnoleedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2014 - 03:10 PM

There is an old movie out titled THE ENTITY that matches a lot of what your saying.  Even the movie WHITE NOISE depicts that same humanoid type entities that exists or sustains on human pain and suffering.  In some ways it also ties into the notion of the Shadow Men or Black Men.  Sadly they, not the black or shadow men, are hostile in general to humanity and tend to pick up certain individuals and latch on to them.  I've never heard of a means of getting rid of them nor any protections against them.  Have read and herd that white noise often contains their threats and intent towards those they latch onto.  Tried to record some once myself and the messages when they come through are not pretty, something like 1-3 out of every ten are threatening or hostile in nature.  Of course the range of actions goes from simple pestering of their target to out and out raping or killing of their targeted person.

Bad part is they definitely are not shadow / contrary totems or guides.  Not sure what they are other than not human and apparently not of this dimension / reality.    Not saying that is what your dealing with but sure sounds like it in some fashions.

#13 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 03:17 PM

Ravenshaw - that actually sounds more like a spirit who's found an all it can eat buffet.  Fear and terror taste good to some spirits/entities.

Has anything worked for you in the past to make it go away when you sense it with those specific feelings?

Yes, intense protective energies against it in the mundane world, and in the other plane it usually involves a strange sort of fight, where I have to trick it but it's incredibly difficult to do.

Kind of glad it's not a shadow totem....

RSKHFMY

#14 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 03:23 PM

There is an old movie out titled THE ENTITY that matches a lot of what your saying.  Even the movie WHITE NOISE depicts that same humanoid type entities that exists or sustains on human pain and suffering.  In some ways it also ties into the notion of the Shadow Men or Black Men.  Sadly they, not the black or shadow men, are hostile in general to humanity and tend to pick up certain individuals and latch on to them.  I've never heard of a means of getting rid of them nor any protections against them.  Have read and herd that white noise often contains their threats and intent towards those they latch onto.  Tried to record some once myself and the messages when they come through are not pretty, something like 1-3 out of every ten are threatening or hostile in nature.  Of course the range of actions goes from simple pestering of their target to out and out raping or killing of their targeted person.

Bad part is they definitely are not shadow / contrary totems or guides.  Not sure what they are other than not human and apparently not of this dimension / reality.    Not saying that is what your dealing with but sure sounds like it in some fashions.

I've never tried recording it. Not sure I want to hear what it has to say... I'd rather keep doing measures to keep it away from me! It definitely strikes fear, interrupts dreams, and I notice it always brings a certain weird feeling to the dream before it shows up. I think knowing what it has to say would just make the feeling of fear worse when it's around.

RSKHFMY

#15 Guest_monsnoleedra_*

Guest_monsnoleedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2014 - 03:31 PM

I've never tried recording it. Not sure I want to hear what it has to say... I'd rather keep doing measures to keep it away from me! It definitely strikes fear, interrupts dreams, and I notice it always brings a certain weird feeling to the dream before it shows up. I think knowing what it has to say would just make the feeling of fear worse when it's around.

Think I'd agree, would not want to hear what it has to say.  Worked with a young man while I was in the military that used to awaken to find a shadow figure standing at the foot of his bed.  Just standing there and watching him.  Swore at times it tried to speak to him but all he heard was like a static noise though in a near sleep state he'd hear disembodied voices at times.  Never had the fortune / misfortune (not sure which would be a better descriptor) of dealing with any of them directly.

One thing occult / witchy practices always remind me of is Hamlet.  ..There are more things under heaven and earth Horatio than are dreamt of by your philosophies..

#16 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 07:32 PM

Yeah, RS, but that's still no way to live.  To wait for it to come back and terrorize you.  It's not an easy thing to do.  I'm glad that you've found some things that work against it.

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#17 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 07:50 PM

Yeah, RS, but that's still no way to live.  To wait for it to come back and terrorize you.  It's not an easy thing to do.  I'm glad that you've found some things that work against it.

So far it hasn't come back, it's been almost a year. I haven't renewed any protections or anything since I dealt with it last. Any ideas?

RSKHFMY

#18 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 07:57 PM

Yeah, keep those protections nice and strong and working !!!

Or face it and fight it and destroy it -- if it comes back.

If there's a 3ed choice, I'd be curious to know to what it is. 

- Pablo Neruda

#19 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 08:07 PM

Yeah, keep those protections nice and strong and working !!!

Or face it and fight it and destroy it -- if it comes back.

If there's a 3ed choice, I'd be curious to know to what it is. 

Don't really know how to fight it. Every time I've been involved with it like a fight, I did fairly well tricking it but cannot find another way to go against it. Tricking it just gets me away from it

Edited by Ravenshaw, 11 May 2014 - 08:07 PM.

RSKHFMY

#20 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 08:32 PM

OP: Well chances are that creature that fills you with such dread is your shadow totem. A totem which maybe with you for a few days, months, year’s or until such time as you face it and overcome the lessons it has to teach you. That creature that serves to teach you the darker, perhaps the weaker side of yourself. Those creature's that are reflective of our deepest fears at times and hold the lesson to overcome them.

And just when I defeated it, it changed form.... back to square one. Same battle, new face to fight (but understanding its true nature and my own helped) if that makes sense. 

- Pablo Neruda