• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Galen

Galen

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:43 PM

I have recently added Sigils to my craft, and I must say, I am very impressed with their ease of use and potency. One attractive thing about sigils is that they do not require much energy from the crafter.

My first step in constructing a sigil is, what will it be used for? For example, say I wish it to rain today. I begin all my sigils with these opening words.., "It is my will...." Then I add the effect I require. So for example, If I wish it to rain, I will take a piece of paper and write down "It is my will that it rains today".

Then starting at the first letter, "I" in this example, you would draw a line through every subsequent "I", then move on to the next letter and do the same. So in this example you would be left with   i t s m y w l h a r n o d

Then i take a piece of parchment paper and with an ink pen, write down the i  then connect the t to it and so on, ending up with a pattern. You can connect letters to the end of other letters. Write a letter through the middle of a letter. Whatever is pleasing to you. The only requirements is that you form a pattern or shape of some kind and the letters are still recognizable.

Then you must charge the sigil. Their are numerous ways to do this. Some crafters use intent, others use a spell or ritual.

As you are charging the sigil, it is VERY important you keep your eyes closed. At the exact peak of your charging method, open your eyes and look at the sigil. Then IMMEDIATELY burn the sigil. You must totally forget the details of the sigil, wipe it from your mind. After the burning, I go watch a funny comedy to erase my mind. The Three Stooges works wonders for me, haha.

I hope this example inspires you to research sigils and their use in your crafting, they are a very useful tool. I have mentioned a few times in other posts, but the go-to book in my opinion for all things Sigil Magic, is Practical Sigil Magic by Frater U.D. I can not praise this book highly enough.

#2 melusine

melusine

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 01:16 AM

Sigils are one of my favorite tools for magic.  So simple yet extremely effective.  I haven't used them exactly as you have but have found them to be potent. At times profoundly so. 

Grant Morrison is big on sigils and had an interesting talk on them during a Disinformation conference... for anyone who may be interested.  Just search Grant Morrison Magic on YouTube.  You'll find some good stuff.

Edited by melusine, 09 April 2014 - 01:17 AM.

#3 RavenFlyer

RavenFlyer

Backwoods Witch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 01:54 AM

For some really good information on sigils I would suggest one read Austin Osman Spare (he was a trance artist but also wrote a lot on sigils, also read about his death posture for activating sigils).
My ETSY store:

Appalachian Witchery http://www.etsy.com/...lachianWitchery

#4 melusine

melusine

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 02:36 AM

For some really good information on sigils I would suggest one read Austin Osman Spare (he was a trance artist but also wrote a lot on sigils, also read about his death posture for activating sigils).

I second that. Also, have a look at his art.

#5 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:34 AM

Death posture for activating sigils, hmmm. Piqued my interest :)

The difference between Medicine and Poison is the Dose. :oil-bottle:
I Love you as certain Dark Things are to be Loved,
In Secret, Between the Shadow and the Soul.
- Pablo Neruda

#6 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 01:26 PM

Nikki - it seems like it's a sort of strangulation, using the ability to black out as a way to charge the sigil

RSKHFMY

#7 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 02:02 PM

Well, that only works if I'm the one doing the strangling... someone else, that is !!! Thx RS. 

- Pablo Neruda

#8 RavenFlyer

RavenFlyer

Backwoods Witch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:07 PM

Nikki - it seems like it's a sort of strangulation, using the ability to black out as a way to charge the sigil

It is in a sense. Sigils are more easily "lightning" charged than slowly focused building up a charge over time. So the death posture you are standing or sitting in front of your sigil. Close your eyes, and take a few good breaths. Then take in one good breath/holding it in, and with both hands block your ears, eyes, mouth, and nose. Continue to do this until you begin to struggle and right before it feels like your lungs are going to explode or you are going to pass out let your hands go. Focus on the sigil just not what it means. Just the symbol. And then banish the sigil from te conscious by laughing (burn/destroy the representation). And go about your day without thinking on the sigil anymore.

My ETSY store:

Appalachian Witchery http://www.etsy.com/...lachianWitchery

#9 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 02:56 PM

Thanks for the details, RavenFlyer :smile: Much appreciated differentiation between strangulation and holding ones breath.

Actually, I used this ^method^ to increase my lungs holding power when I was a competing swimmer. Very interesting information, as always. :smile:

I'm sure it would give me kicking migraine now if I tried it...LOL.

Edited by Nikki, 12 April 2014 - 04:35 AM.

- Pablo Neruda

#10 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 06:04 PM

Thanks for a more detailed explanation, RF!  The version I read involved two people, one "choking out" the other and while "choked out" person focuses until the point of blacking out.

RSKHFMY

#11 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 06:21 PM

Oh, that can still be fun...

- Pablo Neruda

#12 Guest_monsnoleedra_*

Guest_monsnoleedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2014 - 06:46 PM

Just something for consideration when dealing with the idea of sigil magics of other sorts.

4 Celled sigil casting spell...
Ok another oldie that I learnt long ago. It's from a book that I recall but the title and author has long since faded to the back burner of the memory.  Yet it's not really high magic but not a home magic either.

The practitioner starts out by drawing a circle and dividing it into 4 cells. Usually of equal size but may vary depending upon what is to be placed in each cell.

Now the first cell, usually top and left side of ring, if for what it is you desire. Into this cell one will either place a picture of the desired item or write out a description as close to what they desire as possible. The more precise the description the more accurate the results.

The second cell, top right hand side, is where one places the "WHY" of the need. This also is very detailed and structured. Though I actually think it is simply to make sure you the practitioner have really thought about the why of it.  The bottom right is the powers that are being called upon to complete the spell. If you’re using Earth energy then of course that is what shall be included there. IF one is using sigils then that would be there.

The forth cell is for the time limit that is given for it to be completed. Many times it will be an actual date that all must be completed by. If not completed by then the date you shall see identifiable results from your spell.

Once finished the parchment is to be hung in a visible spot. It is to be looked upon and each cell spoken as to what, when, why and how. This charges the spell display and establishes it firmly in the mind of the practitioner.

The parchment is to be viewed for three days with the practitioner reading the spell each time it is viewed. For that three day period the more frequently it is viewed the stronger the intent and energy that is feed into it.

Finally at the end of the third day the parchment is to be taken down and burnt to release the spell to take affect / effect. It is also important that the practitioner release not only the visible parchment but also the memory of it to allow the spell to separate and take shape and form. It in essence is released to become a free flow spell and allow the energies that were selected to bring it to fruition and support the obtainment and energies needed to do so.

#13 Raineylane

Raineylane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:13 PM

Oh, that can still be fun...

Girl, you worry me sometimes.

#14 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:52 PM

I wanna party with her!

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#15 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:55 PM

Hahahahahaha

RSKHFMY

#16 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:38 PM

I found this article that tells you how you can charge a sigil while playing a video game. Might try this some time. Unfortunately it dose mention that RPG's are not best for this, and those are the games I love the most!

http://www.spiralnat...lvideogame.html

Some are born to sweet delight,

Some are born to endless night.

(Fragments from "Auguries of Innocence") William Blake

#17 Turncoat

Turncoat

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 03:50 AM

Floating around Reddit earlier today, I found this little gem illustrating a pretty neat way of going about sigil magic. Check it out if interested!

https://www.reddit.c..._with_pictures/

I use planetary squares for sigilization pretty regularly, and really liked this guy's way of using a grid as well to connect the work to a higher power.

Tell me strange things.

#18 witchinplainsight

witchinplainsight

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 09:10 PM

I'm still not sure about the best way of charging sigils. Orgasm seemed an easy (and pleasurable!) method but not sure how effective people have found this? Maybe easier if the sigil itself is sexual in intention? I did 'fire off' (ahem) a sigil once to hear from an old lover but it didn't work. I didn't put much work into the sigil to be fair. At least I enjoyed the launch!

#19 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 01:42 AM

There are others ways to send them off. Laughter, yelling, hitting, anything to blast energy. On another note your concentration could have been off or your sigil could have been made incorrectly for your needs. Also some people just don't work well with sigils

RSKHFMY

#20 witchinplainsight

witchinplainsight

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 08:10 AM

Yeah I didn't even draw the Sigil, it was more of a symbol so think it was a mixture of poor sigil, no prep beforehand, just an opportunistic 'what if'. I'd like to try again, it was one of the first magical things I tried and my focus is much better now. How would you use hitting just out of curiosity? Hitting the sigil or just battering something nearby?