• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 06:09 PM

I'm starting this thread to have a more comprehensive thread on spirits. I found a few relative threads, but nothing that satisfied what I was looking for. have worked with spirits a little, but would not consider it my strong point.

Seeing Spirits

-When I see spirits, I see them in different ways. It's rarely very physical, and it's by no means all the spirits in an area, just one or a few "regulars". The most physical way I have seen them is as a person, but not quite in a "body". I am more likely to see their energy, like a video playing in my head. If it is a spirit I do not personally know (such as a friend or family), I can usually make out hair color, rough body size, sometimes clothing, and expressions. 

Feeling Spirits

- Feeling or sensing is the primary way in which I detect spirits. I can feel their personality or energy. I can tell if they were serious or laid back, I can usually sense if they were a parent or sibling. I can sense if they died in bitter circumstances, their attitude during most of their life (satisfied with life or painful life, grouchy by default, etc). Most of the malevolent forces I have felt did not feel "human". 

Talking with Spirits

-I have never talked with a spirit like I talk to living humans, I have never had the ability. I have been able to sense what they said, but it is rare. I can usually tell what their voice may have sounded like, but it's more of a mental thing as well. I usually interpret them best through some form of divination. I have not previously had success with a spirit board but have not tried it much. Pendulums work well, but are hard to have in-depth conversation. Tarot seems to work well, but needs an aid for simple "yes" or "no" questions (so...pendulum). I have also been able to communicate through feeling, but this form of communication is usually me responding to a feeling in my gut that I can tell was "Delivered" from them (such as, "Leave. Now!" or "Look here" or "There's someone else here, too").

Family Spirits

-I have only recently started communing with family. Most of my experience with spirits have been them coming to me, not be reaching out. The spirits of my family have never actively reached out until recently, and I have not asked why yet. I am hoping this connection will strengthen my spirit workings.

Environments

-A friend of mine once said that they can sense spirits through pictures. I cannot do this. I usually have to be there, in proximity to them, or else I have little idea they are there. I guess they have to breach my "bubble," if that makes any sense.

Types of People/Spirits

-I tend to pick up easiest on adult male spirits, usually father figures. I have sensed a few children as well. Rarely do I pick up on female energy, for some reason it is very quiet to me. In the mundane world, I get along with males of this sort better as well, so perhaps that has something to do with it. I don't know why, but male energy is much louder for me.

-Also, logically I'd figure I would see more older spirits, since our foothills had a lot of Native American activity back in the day. However this is not the case, I pick up on more recent spirits, within the last 100 years, most frequently. I don't know why this is. Why don't we see spirits of early human species, or spirits from hundreds of years ago? I've encountered a lot of Depression spirits. I think energy may fizzle out over time, perhaps? Or perhaps I'm just not receptive to it....

-I have encountered pet spirits. Not all animals, just pets, usually my own and now and again I can if a spirit had an animal companion. This has happened twice, and one of those times I am still unsure of.

How do you experience spirits? I am curious to see others methods and experiences, as I am looking to build upon my own talents. I would like to work with spirits every day if possible, but so far the instances have been more scarce for me, as they tend to come to me instead of me reaching out.

Edited by Ravenshaw, 05 April 2014 - 06:31 PM.

RSKHFMY

#2 travsha

travsha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 07:50 PM

I dont know if I could describe how I interact with spirits completely - there is really a lot of variety.  Sometimes it is subtle, and sometimes it isnt subtle at all.  Sometimes I am in my body, and sometimes not, and sometimes they seem to be physical or almost physical, and sometimes not physical in the slightest.  Lots of variety...

You mentioned feeling - this is the most dominant way that I interact with spirits as well.  It can be subtle and confusing or really clear and vivid depending on the circumstances.  Sometimes it happens during ceremony, and sometimes just randomly.  I feel like the easiest way for them to communicate with me is through my heart, and that is when it feels like "feelings with meaning."

Sometimes I can have very vivid conversations with them.  I dont have to speak out loud, but sometimes I do.  I can hear them as well as I hear anything sometimes.  Surprisingly, sometimes the feelings I get are more insightful then conversation though - depends on the situation.  Most vivid conversations I have are with spirits I consider allies of mine: plants, a specific teacher I have, my mother, and some others....

Actually, this may sound weird, but a friend called me a spirit house a little while back, and I think it is kinda fitting.  A recent practice of mine involves fasting while inviting a plant spirit into your body for a few weeks.  Seems like they are always around after that - like a part of me.  

I have also experienced physical touch from spirits - that can be interesting....  Once I think it saved my life.  

#3 Wexler

Wexler

Something wrong? Blame retrograde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 08:05 PM

POPULAR

Excellent post RS.

Here is some information I have heard on the forum, and some of my own experiences, put together randomly. I am not sure if this is what you are interested in but it may be helpful :smile:

If you want to work with local spirits, it pays to research local traditions. If I went to Ireland I would research Irish mythology and the lore of local Irish spirits. I believe it is respectful and advantageous to approach local spirits in the manner they are accustomed to.

There seems to be a lot of debate regarding the classifications of spirits and entities. Charles Leland Leadbeater wrote a book called The Astral Plane, Its Scenery, Inhabitants, and Phenomena. This book was published 114 years ago during the Spiritualism revival (if I have my history correctly) and has interesting concepts on the classification of spirits. It can be downloaded free and legally here: http://darkbooks.org...hp?v=1791067929

Spirits who show up on your doorstep and are very eager to please you may not be good news. It is perhaps hubris to assume that you are such a great and powerful witch that strange spirits will bend over backwards to please you. If you encounter a spirit who is willing to agree to anything or submit to every test, you may find yourself with a pest trying to worm their way in.

If you are communicating with a spirit, and it tells you everything you want to hear, be aware. If you have always wanted a red dragon familiar, and all of the sudden your pendulum is telling you that a glorious red dragon has been watching over you your entire life and is now ready to grant you amazing magical gifts, consider that you are being lied to. Make notes when you communicate with unknown spirits, and be wary if they begin to change their answers if you express dissatisfaction with what you hear. This thread is an excellent example of someone who got very excited with spirit communication, and perhaps was not as alert as they should have been to red flags. (Notice that after the OP said he thought the spirit would be Biblical in nature, whatever he was communicating with changed its story to come in line with his expectations.)

It is egocentric to assume that every spirit you meet is interested in talking to you, is there to help you, cares about you, or is able to communicate with you at all. Not every spirit is a human in ghostly form; there are entities with which humans cannot directly communicate.

Spirits live everywhere. They live in our homes, gardens, buildings, towns, and wild places. Building homes for spirits to live is common amongst all cultures and may help foster good relations with the spirits in your life. In his book Protection and Reversal Magick, Jason Miller provides a ritual of offering to spirits. He says that humans, being often out of touch with the spirit world, can offend spirits in ways we do not notice or understand. Giving incense offerings (the energy of which the spirits may use to their advantage), he says, will appease spirits and encourage good will between you and the spirit world. There seems to be a lot of useful things a person can do to earn allies amongst nature spirits, the basis of which is acknowledging them and treating them with respect.

Some people advocate a test to see whether or not a strange spirit is "good" or "bad". In this test, you simply ignore the spirit for a few weeks. If it sticks around, it is good; if it leaves, it is bad. I do not believe that this is sound advice. A spirit of ill-intent may be perfectly willing to leave you alone and come back in a month when you are suddenly willing to trust it. Likewise, a spirit of good intent may roll its eyes at being ignored and leave to find someone else willing to accept their help. Instead of tests, try speaking to spirits as you would another person and getting to know them the old-fashioned way.

When wanting to foster a relationship with ancestors, a witch can hold Dumb Suppers. I don't know much about them personally, but it is a dinner with the dead. Sometimes they are just held on Halloween, but you can do it whenever you please. You cook and set out a proper dinner, with several place settings. You invite your beloved dead to eat with you, and talk to them like family.

When you present yourself to the otherworld as a witch interested in spirit contact, it is advisable to be ready for them when they come. Spirits do not follow our earthly schedule, and they may show up at the most inopportune times. Some members on this forum have designated certain areas of their homes as 'no spirit zones' so they can get some peace and quiet. If you are not used to spirit contact, a first encounter with one can be startling or even frightening. Don't freak out and command the spirit away (how rude to invite someone in and then slam the door in their face!). Just as spirits may show up whenever it suits them, most spirits are not our servants and may not show up whenever you call them. When working with a spirit, it may be advantageous to designate a certain day and time to meet weekly.

Spirits have their own stuff to do. They are probably not hanging around and watching you constantly.

Actions by spirits can be misinterpreted. What we see as malicious or aggressive could be a spirit acting out of curiosity or simply teasing. If there is a spirit acting in apparently malicious ways, it may be best to speak to them plainly instead of whipping out the banishment kit. Addressing a spirit and saying, "this is my home and I do not want you to do X any longer" can go a long way towards solving problems.

Speaking from the perspective of a novice, I find some spirits will test me, so to speak. They will cause problems for me and wait to see how I solve it. I believe my reactions to these problems are very important, including how much I let them bully me before I take a stand. In this manner, I have found paying attention to my life is extremely important with working with spirits, because sometimes they can act in subtle ways that may not be easy to immediately notice.

Also speaking as a novice, sometimes spirits will do stuff that will plain freak you out. Being home alone and having the television turn on by itself, or coming in to a room to find stuff moved around can be distinctly unsettling if you aren't used to it. This is just something you will have to get used to and overcome. Or you could ask them to stop, but what's the fun in that? Discomfort means you are overcoming your limitations.

Regarding Guardian/Guide spirits: It has been advised to me by some very experienced members on this forum that these spirits can be very forgiving. In the past, if you believe you have sent your guide away out of ignorance or fear, there may be a possibility that your guide is still waiting for you somewhere. Do not give up on the idea that you may meet up with them again; what is the worst that could happen if you try?

It has been suggested that reaching out to any random spirit is like reaching out to any random person on the sidewalk. They may end up being a great friend, or someone you hate, but more than likely they're just average people with little connection to you. Instead of reaching out to any spirit, focus on who you would like to attract: Ancestors (both in blood and spirit), benevolent beings who are interested in helping you, a spirit who has knowledge of something specific you want to learn, and so on.

Some spirits help us out of the kindness of their hearts. Other spirits help us because they want something in return. I have been advised on this forum to be very careful with a spirit that is willing to help without apparently getting anything back, especially if they are strange spirits with no connection to you. Working with a spirit who wants something in return is not necessarily bad, just make sure the contract is clear before you get started.

Some spirits do not take kindly to being ignored, especially if you have made a big show of communicating with them regularly and wanting to form a partnership with them. If you only talk to a friend when you need something or when it suits you, you would be called at best a fair-weather friend or at worst a user. "Out of sight, out of mind" isn't an excuse to neglect your relationship with spirits. If you can't commit to maintaining a relationship even when you're not 'feeling it', it may be best to stick with casual communication and avoid trying to earn Allies for now.

It is my opinion that being able to see and "feel" spirits is a psychic talent. Working to open your psychic awareness may be advantageous if you want to see spirits. Even if you can't see them, using a tool to communicate with them should be accessible to anyone. Pendulums and spirit boards are popular. I have used tarot to communicate before as well, but that is not as optimal for me. In the past, I have used a physical alert system so a spirit could attract my attention, which sounds fancy but I really just told the spirit to knock over a small tube of medicinal ointment if it needed to talk to me. There are many clever methods for allowing a spirit to get your attention, I believe wind chimes are popular. Just as you are able to call your Allies, I believe it is germane to give your Allies a way to call you if your psychic senses are not developed enough to 'hear' or 'feel' them.

Nature spirits are not always nice, loving, and all-forgiving. This post by Michele talks about her relationship with her Elder tree, and I think it is a wonderful description of how even trees will hold you to high standards.

Edited by Wexler, 06 April 2014 - 12:29 AM.

'Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.'

'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.'

[avatar source]

#4 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 08:06 PM

What a great topic !!! I'm so glad you posted this. 

I find when people open themselves up to spirits, they will encounter them more often. But it can tricky business, so beware.

I agree that most of the malevolent forces I have felt did not feel "human". This has been my experience, too.

I’ve felt spirit with no gender, so I cannot say that I pick up on male/female energy one more than the other.

Of course, when they present themselves visually, you can see gender. I've seen a balance of both male and female spirits. 

I don’t consider my ‘gut’ as a barometer for spirit at all. I feel spirit with my entire being. 

Don’t forget that dreams are also a way that spirit, especially family and ancestors, reach out. Best to you on this journey... very exciting. 

Edited by Nikki, 05 April 2014 - 08:07 PM.

The difference between Medicine and Poison is the Dose. :oil-bottle:
I Love you as certain Dark Things are to be Loved,
In Secret, Between the Shadow and the Soul.
- Pablo Neruda

#5 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 08:20 PM

Wow Wex, good stuff there. Voted you up !!

I held a 'Dumb Super' once; powerful beyond words. Suffice to say, I was a blubbering mess at the end. It was GREAT !!!

- Pablo Neruda

#6 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 10:54 PM

+1 - me, too

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#7 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:58 AM

Wexler - great post! I like the idea of the supper, as well as a schedule. Also, the part about talking with spirits which are poking where it seems malicious...my mother used to do that. We had an active female spirits in the house I grew up in, and she was still using it like it was hers (so, pans and pots clanking, toilet flushing randomly, doors opening and shutting, etc). Mom talked with her and told her to stop, she had kids that were scared, and if she could be a little quieter that would be great and we would respect her space as well. It worked well, and we only got activity like that around her favorite holidays (Christmas and what i think was her birthday).

I always follow my gut with spirits. If something said was weird or felt odd, or if I can't put my finger on what I am talking to, I dip out. Nope nope nope.

I like the idea of a physical means of alerting you, and I may adopt something like it. I can usually feel and see them pretty well, but there have been times that when I finally felt it, it was frustrated and pissy because it took so long ("are you blind?!' sort of feel). An apology usually works well in this case, but it depends on the spirit.

I have rarely reached out to a spirit. Most of the spirits I encounter are just people, usually making themselves known,,but indeed a few not to great ones have come to me. Perhaps reaching out to kindred spirits will make this more apparent and preventable. I recently contacted a family member who was more than ready to talk, and I think regular updates with him will be a new part of the schedule.

Thanks again for the great post!

RSKHFMY

#8 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 01:00 AM

I dont know if I could describe how I interact with spirits completely - there is really a lot of variety.  Sometimes it is subtle, and sometimes it isnt subtle at all.  Sometimes I am in my body, and sometimes not, and sometimes they seem to be physical or almost physical, and sometimes not physical in the slightest.  Lots of variety...

You mentioned feeling - this is the most dominant way that I interact with spirits as well.  It can be subtle and confusing or really clear and vivid depending on the circumstances.  Sometimes it happens during ceremony, and sometimes just randomly.  I feel like the easiest way for them to communicate with me is through my heart, and that is when it feels like "feelings with meaning."

Sometimes I can have very vivid conversations with them.  I dont have to speak out loud, but sometimes I do.  I can hear them as well as I hear anything sometimes.  Surprisingly, sometimes the feelings I get are more insightful then conversation though - depends on the situation.  Most vivid conversations I have are with spirits I consider allies of mine: plants, a specific teacher I have, my mother, and some others....

Actually, this may sound weird, but a friend called me a spirit house a little while back, and I think it is kinda fitting.  A recent practice of mine involves fasting while inviting a plant spirit into your body for a few weeks.  Seems like they are always around after that - like a part of me.  

I have also experienced physical touch from spirits - that can be interesting....  Once I think it saved my life.  

I've had spirits touch me before, usually pets. I definitely am a feeler more than a seer, but when I do see it's quite vivid and sometimes freaky because it's unexpected. if I try to see.....nothing happens. Sometimes I'm minding my own business and HOLY SHIT spirit! How did a spirit once save your life? i'd love to hear the story!

RSKHFMY

#9 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 01:05 AM

Nikki - my gut is definitely a way to measure activity, but only directed at me. I'm sure I've walked through very active places without a single notion of what was happening (derp!). But, when I feel that feeling, I know...

I can usually feel gender (and definitely gender, not sex) it's hard to explain... It's just a way of knowing who you're talking to. I'm not always 100% on it, but I can usually call it.

Another way I've sensed before was smell, like cologne or food or sweat. But, this is rare too. Usually it's instinct and a strange sense of just knowing who it is. 

I had a hard time of knowing when dreams mean something, and when it's just a dreamy brain fart. I need to start asking this stuff. I divine all the time, but never ask the obvious stupid questions, like I should. They just seem to escape my mind....

RSKHFMY

#10 travsha

travsha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:44 AM

I've had spirits touch me before, usually pets. I definitely am a feeler more than a seer, but when I do see it's quite vivid and sometimes freaky because it's unexpected. if I try to see.....nothing happens. Sometimes I'm minding my own business and HOLY SHIT spirit! How did a spirit once save your life? i'd love to hear the story!

I think I shared the details of the story in my intro post, but basically I was drowning in the ocean, and a spirit saved me (at least that is what I experienced - along with some other trippy visions).  That was about 8 years ago - started my whole spiritual quest really... I didnt even think spirits existed at that point in my life, so it was quite a surprise to be helped out of the ocean by one!

#11 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:03 PM

Nikki - my gut is definitely a way to measure activity, but only directed at me. I'm sure I've walked through very active places without a single notion of what was happening (derp!). But, when I feel that feeling, I know...

I can usually feel gender (and definitely gender, not sex) it's hard to explain... It's just a way of knowing who you're talking to. I'm not always 100% on it, but I can usually call it.

Another way I've sensed before was smell, like cologne or food or sweat. But, this is rare too. Usually it's instinct and a strange sense of just knowing who it is. 

I had a hard time of knowing when dreams mean something, and when it's just a dreamy brain fart. I need to start asking this stuff. I divine all the time, but never ask the obvious stupid questions, like I should. They just seem to escape my mind....

Hey Ravenshaw... What do you ask spirit when you divine? lol...j/k.  

I hear what you're saying about your 'gut' and active places. My gut alerts me to an energetic imprint which is feels different to me than actual spirit. 

Dreams that show me something I could not have possibly known, either past or future, are often gifts of my blood ties. 

Spirit has saved my life, more than once or twice or thrice, but these are my guides/ancestors and alike. 

Question: In my experience smell can be either /or... but touch is usually (not always) from the newly dead. Has anyone else noticed this? just wondering...

- Pablo Neruda

#12 Raineylane

Raineylane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 01:34 PM

Nikki said:  Question: In my experience smell can be either /or... but touch is usually (not always) from the newly dead. Has anyone else noticed this? just

wondering...

Yes, I have.  Within a couple of weeks of my mother's passing I would smell her distinctive perfume in my house, around me, from time to time, as well as hugs that I knew was from her.  Both were very comforting.

As far as talking to spirits, I have had a recent encounter with a spirit or spirits and (on the advice of a very wise person)  I talked to them out loud, asking them to stop disturbing our sleep, which so far has worked.  They are still banging around a little, but not while my we are sleeping.

I also agree that some spirits I've come across in the past were not human.  (And I'm not talking about the spirits of Fido or Muffins, either.)

I would think that most witches experience spirits, at least once.  It just seems to go hand in hand with being a witch.  Perhaps it's because we are open to a different reality than most people.

I know people who swear they have never had any experiences with spirits.  Maybe they haven't or maybe they are in denial about it, or afraid to acknowledge it or admit it.  Whatever their reason, I kind of feel sorry for them for the lack of the experience.

#13 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 04:05 PM

I suck at sensing energy, always have. It's something I'm continually working on. Human spirits I don't much deal with because I question why they're here. I am leaning to the thought that if someone human dies, they move on. So if they're out wandering around looking to speak with someone it's usually because they haven't moved on, so they could (to me) be a problem. And I don't work with guiding or advising the dead (got  hard enough work advising my own family lol). I may change my mind on that someday, but for now that's my thought process. Most of the spirit-anythings I seek relationship with (or appease) are land/nature spirits. Logically they have a reason to be here (I do live on land, lol). And my house spirit, which to me is rather like a... umm... like a (i"m gesticulating to my computer here trying to come up with a definition, lol)... like a gathered together memory of energy of the house and land it is built on (if that makes any sense). I don't think there are words in human language to describe the nature and origin of all spirit things, so it's hard to put into words. But the house spirit to me is the overall collective energy of the house (unless you have a specific dead person who's stayed behind in your house). And to me you can talk to it, work with it, and befriend it, and even take that energy/spirit with you if it wants when you leave. I talk to it all the time so it knows I "believe" in it and it's polite to talk to it. I tell it if the law guys are coming, if I'm expecting a package, if my son's stopping by while I'm out. I tell it where I'm going and when I'll be back and to watch over everything for me while I'm gone. Although I find things that talk to me often talk to me by putting distinct "thoughts" in my mind (I suppose what people term telepathy?) I make it clear to everything that what I think is not to be taken as what I mean, only what I say out loud. 

M

#14 Wexler

Wexler

Something wrong? Blame retrograde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 04:58 PM

Although I find things that talk to me often talk to me by putting distinct "thoughts" in my mind (I suppose what people term telepathy?) I make it clear to everything that what I think is not to be taken as what I mean, only what I say out loud. 

M

I wonder what everyone's thoughts are on communicating with spirits telepathically (or, by thinking thoughts at them).

I have no doubt that some (or perhaps all) spirits can give you thoughts, feelings, images, or ideas to communicate with you. But. is every spirit who you interact with able to read your mind and pick up exactly what you are thinking?

Even if your mind is clouded and your thoughts are unclear, will spirits be able to figure out what you wanted to share with them?

I was working with a spirit with my friend once, and I noticed that she wasn't saying anything. She asserted that the spirit would be able to read her thoughts. I disagreed, but I also didn't have any proof as to the contrary.

I speak out loud when I work with spirits. I find speaking to many things plainly (including animals, plants, technology, and the dishes - not to mention people) seems to help out with whatever we are trying to do.

When you work with spirits, do you prefer to speak aloud or think at each other? Do you feel all spirits can read your mind? Do you assume certain allies will know what you are thinking at all times?

'Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.'

'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.'

[avatar source]

#15 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:08 PM

I wonder what everyone's thoughts are on communicating with spirits telepathically (or, by thinking thoughts at them).

I have no doubt that some (or perhaps all) spirits can give you thoughts, feelings, images, or ideas to communicate with you. But. is every spirit who you interact with able to read your mind and pick up exactly what you are thinking?

Even if your mind is clouded and your thoughts are unclear, will spirits be able to figure out what you wanted to share with them?

I was working with a spirit with my friend once, and I noticed that she wasn't saying anything. She asserted that the spirit would be able to read her thoughts. I disagreed, but I also didn't have any proof as to the contrary.

I speak out loud when I work with spirits. I find speaking to many things plainly (including animals, plants, technology, and the dishes - not to mention people) seems to help out with whatever we are trying to do.

When you work with spirits, do you prefer to speak aloud or think at each other? Do you feel all spirits can read your mind? Do you assume certain allies will know what you are thinking at all times?

I usually talk aloud to them. Sometimes I can tell if thinking is enough, or if there's some reason I can't/shouldn't talk aloud (perhaps I'm with family?) I will focus on making my thoughts as clear as possible and send it out like a vibration. But, this does indeed get muddled. Talking is best for me.

RSKHFMY

#16 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:12 PM

I think they see everything (like house and land spirits see what is going on because they are there). I don't know if they can read thoughts, but I do believe they can communicate by "inspiration" or thoughts/ideas to you (the human). So on the off-chance, I only speak out loud to them. So they know when I am addressing them rather than just thinking. That way there's no misunderstandings. I mean, how many times has one thought "oh eat shit and die" to someone they're arguing with? But they really don't WANT that to happen. And I'm not saying that some spirit is going to go around trying to make my every want into a reality. Only that I don't like misunderstandings and misinterpretations, especially as they can be dangerous. So I err on the side of caution.

M

#17 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:32 PM

I think they see everything (like house and land spirits see what is going on because they are there). I don't know if they can read thoughts, but I do believe they can communicate by "inspiration" or thoughts/ideas to you (the human). So on the off-chance, I only speak out loud to them. So they know when I am addressing them rather than just thinking. That way there's no misunderstandings. I mean, how many times has one thought "oh eat shit and die" to someone they're arguing with? But they really don't WANT that to happen. And I'm not saying that some spirit is going to go around trying to make my every want into a reality. Only that I don't like misunderstandings and misinterpretations, especially as they can be dangerous. So I err on the side of caution.

M

I think this is a good way to go about it. I mean, so much can go wrong just working with magic in general, and I believe a lot of witch-dom consists of dotting your i's and crossing your t's to make sure there's no backlash or misinterpretations in workings. So, why not make it more simple with spirits by being simple, frank, and loud?

RSKHFMY

#18 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:45 PM

... so much can go wrong just working with magic in general, and I believe a lot of witch-dom consists of dotting your i's and crossing your t's to make sure there's no backlash or misinterpretations in workings...

Amen to that, lol...

M

#19 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:39 PM

But. is every spirit who you interact with able to read your mind and pick up exactly what you are thinking?

Not every but beware the ones that can. 

There are ways to keep most of them out but there are things out there that can just simply overpower your best laid defenses.

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#20 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 12:24 AM

I think I shared the details of the story in my intro post, but basically I was drowning in the ocean, and a spirit saved me (at least that is what I experienced - along with some other trippy visions).  That was about 8 years ago - started my whole spiritual quest really... I didnt even think spirits existed at that point in my life, so it was quite a surprise to be helped out of the ocean by one!

I find that very interesting. Would you descirbe 'how' the spirit saved you ie. it's actions, and was it someone you knew in life?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: spirits