Drinking the Four Winds

travsha

I wanted to share this book I read just a couple months ago - I found it to be a real treasure.  The full title is "Drinking the Four Winds - A Shamanic Love Story" by Ross Heaven.

The book follows the authors personal story of leaving the pharmaceutical business and giving away his possessions to become an apprentice shaman in Peru (he trains in Peru, but also lives in Spain throughout the book).  In Peru at a healing center he owned at the time, he falls in love, and the book focuses heavily on this doomed relationship with his wife, and their relationship with the plant spirits they apprentice to.  

He describes Ayahuasca ceremonies in great detail, in a way I have never read before, and describes his experiences dieting and working with a number of different medicinal plants (dieting is a process of invoking a plant spirit into your body to become an ally).  

The way he describes the love story bit is incredible honest and real - he writes about some painful hard stuff to share, and it is very beautiful.  Me and my fiance both learned a lot about love just by reading this book - I think we both experienced some healing actually.  

So many reasons to love this book, but mostly I want to share it with others!

Actually....  Kind of funny, but I am getting married in the same spot he gets married in the book (I planned the wedding before I read the book tho - just funny coincidence).  I think my marriage might last a bit longer then his did though  :thumbsup:

Archived