Recomnendations for Magical Places to Visit

Raineylane

I thought this would be a place where we could post about the places we have been where we felt magic crackling in the air.

I know some of you have been snow-bound and are suffering from cabin fever and just itching to get out an explore.

So, where would you recommend going to recharge ourselves?

Where have you been that spoke to your soul?

Any interesting, out of the way, little known places you would recommend?

Famous haunted places?

A few places I would recommend, in no particular order are:

St. Augustine, FL: The old fort and ghost walk through the cemeteries at night. Lots of history.

Sedona, AZ: The vortex

Tombstone, AZ: The Birdcage Saloon and Boot Hill Cemetery

The Grand Canyon: The GIANT HOLE!

The mountains of North Carolina: Cherokee National Forest and Asheville

The Smoky Mountains of Tennessee: All of it but check out Clingman's Dome while you are there.

Cave country in Kentucky: Mammoth Cave and other caves. Feels like walking into the womb of Mother Earth herself.

So where have you been that you would recommend?

I had to leave the Fort in St. Augustine.  That place is insane and I was very new to working with a lot of Dead at one time.

I've been to the mountains in NC and to Ashville and yes they have an energy about them.  One place I would recommend in Ashville is the Biltmore Estate.  Its a giant mansion/castle that has a ton of rooms, winding hallways and hidden passages. Tons of energy in that house, but be prepared it's got a profound sadness to it in places. 

Hubby and I went there for our honeymoon.  It has a great restaurant in the old stables. 

https://www.biltmore.com/

Other places I have been that are alive with some kind of energy:

Adirondack Mountains near Lake George NY (wild nature energy)

Lake Champlain, NY/VT (war of 1812 was on the lake and many places still hold remnants of battle.)

Pine Barrens, NJ (I can't describe this energy, feels like a darker nature force)

The boardwalk at Seaside heights, NJ (being rebuilt now, major emotional highs and lows here, Extreme Joy and Sadness at the same time)

Norfolk naval station, Norfolk VA (many of the ships and buildings are haunted. I used to be in the hallway as a child to play while my mom worked)

Gulf Shores, AL ( I can't accurately describe this energy either, very light and refreshing)

Lake Gananoque Ontairio, CA (wild energy here in places.  Many uninhabited islands. Dirt roads for miles)

Of course those are the major ones.  

Ok UK Witches - we've got some good stuff too? Stonehenge, Avebury, Arbor Low, the Giant's Causeway, the Worm's head.....

Ok UK Witches - we've got some good stuff too? Stonehenge, Avebury, Arbor Low, the Giant's Causeway, the Worm's head.....

Oooo, I would love to go to the UK and visit all those sites!   If I ever made it over there, I probably wouldn't want to come home.

I live in Seattle, so in a few hours I can be in either the Hoh rainforest or in the Redwoods - both are amazing to me.  Redwoods especially - you can really see the unique personality of each tree, and they can be rather talkative in my experience.....

Last summer I spent 2 months in Peru, and will be back this summer for another 2 months.  That land is alive with magic - everywhere you go, people are still connected to the earth and mysticism.  Brujos and shamans live everywhere, ancient ruins mimic the beauty of nature, and even the Catholics would sometimes rather worship the sun then the son!  Machu Pichu gets a lot of attention, but really, there are equally impressive ruins all over the country.  Pretty powerful experience walking through a temple so old no one knows who made it or what it was for......  I could make a long list of places to visit there..... (they even have canyons way bigger then the USA's grand canyon - not as crowded either!)

Really though - anywhere I can be close to nature is good and magical for me =)

Uk, plenty in York.. Just been to the castle museum today and enjoyed the dungeons/prisons.

Orkney - several places there (Ring of Brodgar, Stennes Stones, Meas Howe etc. just a general connection to the whole place tbh.

One of my favourite places and one I haven't visited in a long long while is Arncliffe woods near Egton Bridge - used to lose myself in there.

The great serpent mound, Adams County, Ohio USA.- Whatever the theories that make it sound hokey, this place this place truely does have interesting and intense earth energy.

Algonquin National Park,Ontario CA.- peaceful nature energy in places, wild earth energy in others.

Ottawa Jail Hostel, Ottawa Ontario, CA.-Aside from the atmosphere, which is creepy, their is a sense of despair and agression permeating this place.

Niagara Falls, on the border of Ontario Canada, and New York State, USA.- raw power of nature and water, impressive even for without witchy senses, but of course even more so for those with.

Each of these places felt amazing to me.

U.S.A

St. Augustine, FLA..... OH yeah !!!

Lake Tahoe, CA

Mt. Washington, New Hampshire

Howe Caverns, NY

The American Museum of Natural History, NY: The South Front 77th Street entrance

Galveston Bay, TX

Ipswich, MA

Korean War Memorial, D.C.

Beyond

Greece: ​Melissani Cave; Temple of Zeus, Olympia. The entire town is magical.

Ireland: Cliffs of Moher &  Ring of Kerry

Jamaica: Dunns River Falls

Puerto Rico: El Yurque Rainforest

Italy: Venice: Murano, Burano, Torcello Islands; St. Peter’s Basillica - Vatican City

Bermuda: Jobson’s Cove

Belize: Caracol, Mayan Ruin

I've been to Kamp Vught (or Herzogenbusch concentration camp) a few times and it just really spoke to me. I can't explain why, because I was still very young when I was there. It was built for something horrible of course.

Depends on the reason for visiting some places. Historically, mythologies. I don't feel the need for a cheap commercial thrill but I do enjoy the history aspect of some places. A long walk in the meadows or along the shore. Walking in the rain or the sunshine.watching A river flow over rocks and pebbles.Rock pooling with my family and grandchildren.Magic to me is every where........'shrugs' whatever floats your boat.

St. Augustine is amazing.  St. George Street is a much more "pleasant" experience than the intensity of the Fort, although the Street has its own share of restless and disgruntled spirits.  The north side of nearby Anastasia Island gets me tingly too.  Speaking of Florida, Pine Island caught me off guard- sleepy village on the Gulf Coast I randomly selected as a spot to embark on overnight solo kayaking/camping trips; the energy of that area (including Caya Costa) was incredible.

Preservation Hall in New Orleans is crawling with spirits and energy- probably the widest array of Light, Dark, and In-betweener "flavors" (for lack of better terminology) that I've ever experienced.  Even the yuppies and hipsters in attendance of the weekly shows can't dampen the magnetic atmosphere.

I agree with previous comments about the Great Smoky Mountains.  The Blue Ridge Parkway is one heckuva spiritual drive, and a little spot called Cade's Cove is an epicenter for land spirits starting at dusk and after.

Here in Alaska, Denali State Park (not the National Park where all the tourists go) is totally transportive.  There's a spot called Finger Lakes where I've witnessed greater numbers and diversity of wildlife in a 24-hour period than I did during an entire summer of living alone in a tent in the Arctic wilderness to the south.  The balance of nature, for some reason, is tipped in favor of prey animals in that region, so it's been a powerful spot for healing magic for me.

One destination that I expected to be brimming with energy was Xunantunich Mayan Archeological Site in Belize (right on the Guatemalan border).  I was somewhat looking forward to connecting with ancient spirits for the first time, but overall it was sadly underwhelming- I got more in touch from the wild monkeys swinging around the trees of the adjacent jungle.

USA:

Most forests, meadows and shores

Europe:

Versailles. Get lost on purpose & go off the path. There's just something about being in a lost grove full of vines and fractured sunlight. If you're caught, pretend you don't understand French. ;)

Ostia (former port city of the Roman Empire): I've never been to a place before or since where the air was so completely still (except NE cemeteries). It isn't in an unwelcoming way, but it's a very heavy feeling. Also, it's full of poppies. I cried all night after we left Rome (it was a school trip). I wanted to stay in Ostia forever.

Depends on the reason for visiting some places. Historically, mythologies. I don't feel the need for a cheap commercial thrill but I do enjoy the history aspect of some places. A long walk in the meadows or along the shore. Walking in the rain or the sunshine.watching A river flow over rocks and pebbles.Rock pooling with my family and grandchildren.Magic to me is every where........'shrugs' whatever floats your boat.

I didn't get the impression that thread is about visiting certain places, vacation destinations, cheap thrills or otherwise.  Yes, magic is everywhere, but, some places have more energy than others, and these places spoke to other people's souls. Nothing to 'shrug' at, imho. 

@ArcticWitch: One destination that I expected to be brimming with energy was Xunantunich Mayan Archeological Site in Belize (right on the Guatemalan border).  I was somewhat looking forward to connecting with ancient spirits for the first time, but overall it was sadly underwhelming- I got more in touch from the wild monkeys swinging around the trees of the adjacent jungle.

I had a similar experience... the Ruin felt 'dead' and heavy to me... but the natural surroundings offered another feeling altogether :smile:

I am not going to speak for aurora, of course, but the vacation ideas thread bump is intended to demonstrate that some folks have found magic and meaning in a location, when they least expected it, even during a plain old family vacation.  For some reason, I am least likely to find magic in places that others call . . . 'magical', so I understand aurora's position.  Perhaps, it is because I go to the location with some kind of inflated expectation and find myself totally underwhelmed, as was mentioned.  Plus, places that attract a lot of people are too empathically distracting to really enjoy or absorb the energy from.  I'll go to 'feed', but would rather be alone to get my magical rocks off.  Personally, I enjoy natural places with history and beauty, so I appreciate the suggestions.

Plus, places that attract a lot of people are too empathically distracting to really enjoy or absorb the energy from.

^ This.  It's disappointing to feel an "available connection" to a place- faint, but there- and it be drowned out by other tourists.  For example, in the past I've begun to 'peel back the layers' in quiet spots like Hoover Dam and the Washington Monument, only to have the connection shattered by the typical loudmouthed tourist who only visited the place as some form of social competition to say they'd been there.  (Me?  Bitter?  Naaaaww....)

Semi-pertinent side-note: I had an experience that leads me to believe that the presence of others with witchy tendencies can jam the signal big-time.  One evening, my family and I were strolling around NOLA, and I was drinking in the soul of the city ("feeding", I guess, as Jevne put it).  We rounded a corner and it felt like I'd "lost reception".  A few paces later, and I realized we were in Jackson Square.  I glanced around, and- being the sheltered teenager I was- it took me a solid 20 seconds to realize the half-dozen women scattered throughout the park, hunched over portable folding tables, were fortune tellers.  Confusion and curiosity zeroed my gaze onto one woman in particular, sitting alone without a client (as were all but two of the tellers).  She jerked her head up and in my direction, we locked eyes, and hers narrowed into a glare of unwelcome.  It took quite a bit of distance before I was able to regain my ability to absorb the energies of the city.  (Knowing what I know now, I can't help but wonder if she was a witch of some sort, and had managed to spell the immediate vicinity so the other fortunetellers' empathic abilities were reduced or eliminated, thereby preventing their readings from being accurate and preventing repeat customers?)

Posted · Hidden by Mountain Witch, March 25, 2014 - No reason given
Hidden by Mountain Witch, March 25, 2014 - No reason given

I didn't get the impression that thread is about visiting certain places, vacation destinations, cheap thrills or otherwise.  Yes, magic is everywhere, but, some places have more energy than others, and these places spoke to other people's souls. Nothing to 'shrug' at, imho. 

@ArcticWitch: One destination that I expected to be brimming with energy was Xunantunich Mayan Archeological Site in Belize (right on the Guatemalan border).  I was somewhat looking forward to connecting with ancient spirits for the first time, but overall it was sadly underwhelming- I got more in touch from the wild monkeys swinging around the trees of the adjacent jungle.

I had a similar experience... the Ruin felt 'dead' and heavy to me... but the natural surroundings offered another feeling altogether :smile:

Read it again then.

I am not going to speak for aurora, of course, but the vacation ideas thread bump is intended to demonstrate that some folks have found magic and meaning in a location, when they least expected it, even during a plain old family vacation.  For some reason, I am least likely to find magic in places that others call . . . 'magical', so I understand aurora's position.  Perhaps, it is because I go to the location with some kind of inflated expectation and find myself totally underwhelmed, as was mentioned.  Plus, places that attract a lot of people are too empathically distracting to really enjoy or absorb the energy from.  I'll go to 'feed', but would rather be alone to get my magical rocks off.  Personally, I enjoy natural places with history and beauty, so I appreciate the suggestions.

You write much better than me and yes you understood what my point was.

Wow!  You members  have been to some wonderful places.  I am making a list of these so can plan some visits there.

I am in awe at how well traveled some of us are.  Isn't it fun to explore and new places and experience new things?

I find it so interesting to find magic in so many places.  The whole world is alive with magic if we just take the time to seek it out, find it and open ourselves up to it.

Another great place I found is the Petrified Forest.  Lots of petroglyphs and energy.  I went in the off season, early in the morning.  I practically had the whole park to myself.

Jerome, AZ is a great old mining town.  Lots of energy there, too.

Archived