Full Moons

Patchuli

Hello everyone :)

Does anyone here celebrate the Full Moon or Dark Moon? <looks around nervously> i know this is a big thing with Wiccans, but i was wondering if any Traditionals did it also? If so what do you do during the rituals?

I usually light a white silver or black candle and some incense and invoke the lunar energies.

~Patchuli~ :p

I celebrate both full and dark. I draw from energy of both...as well as the sun and natural elemtsn (storms, etc.). normally I perform a meditation (if needed)...a spell (ditto)...or invoke a diety for a purpose.

I use Full and Dark Moons also, simply depends on what kind of thing I'm working on. As with AnjelWolf, I'll meditate if needed, do some spell work if needed. I'll use candles, probably the simplest method of focus, incense if I feel I need it. Sometimes the work will be mainly meditative and focused on visualising an outcome for someone or something.

Again like AnjelWolf, I'll use natural elements, storms, rain, wind etc when outdoors.

Depends really, I tend to go with whatever 'feels' right for whatever I'm doing.

• 1 month later...

Absolutely! Both Full and Dark Moon are important and have different and very

useful energies, as do all the various phases of the Moon.

Lady Alcina:dragon:

But the question remains ,I think that what patchoully ment is if traditional witches celebrate the full moons with a certain ritual , like drawing down the moon, You know that really important wiccan ritual high priestess of the coven enters a trance

and sort of becomes the Goddess,which is symbolized by the moon, then she says: Whenever you have need of anything, once in a month, and better it

be when the Moon is full... etc you all know. Do traditionals celebrate ritual in a similar manner with an established ritual for the occasion.

There isnt a certain ritual Ishtor...except maybe on a personal level for each person. Traditional doesn't have the rules and such as Wicca or other forms of those paths.

"Really important Wiccan High Priestess"? HAHAHAHAHAAAAA

:rofl: :rofl:

:wabbit: Sorry Ishtor, we have no such um ... crap ... in our beliefs. Nobody is more important than the other and I can assure you that no traditional would prance about proclaiming themselves as a High Priestess just because they form a coven and allegedly become a Goddess.

We use the moon in all phases as we see fit for the task in hand. :cauldron:

Guest wortmistress

Indeed Sandy! There is a ritual similiar to the drawing down of the moon in ancient Paganism but as the groovy gals above said, Traditional is all very personal. Some groups may have "degrees" such as Wicca and may elect a leader/Magister etc depending on the tradition. As some of us work alone/individually, you could say that we are our own master/leader and follow the rules of our heart...

I don't really celebrate them all since I'm not really that regular a practitioner. I tend to observe the right type of moon for the right type of working but other than that I don't really make a big thing of it. I'm a lazy witch LOL

I guess it depends on what you define as celebrate. I do use the moon phases in my workings as a general rule, but I am not ruled by them.

In the summer I've done impromptu ceremonies. It was a girls night and we got together made some fresh pasta and pesto from the garden. We had some wine and all wrote letters of gratitude and wishes to be burned in the cauldron. It was a loverly evening - we did that 2 years running.

Ahhh I miss girls nights outside in my backyard! LOL

I took some pic last night because the moon was up before the sun went down. They didn't come out as well as I would have liked - they almost looked like the sun - but the sky was a beautiful steel grey. There were clouds and the trees have no leaves so it would have been the perfect fall pic if the darn moon would have come out right! OH well! ;-)

• 9 months later...
Guest hauntedthings
I don't really celebrate them all since I'm not really that regular a practitioner. I tend to observe the right type of moon for the right type of working but other than that I don't really make a big thing of it. I'm a lazy witch LOL

Hi,

This is going to sound REALLLLY stupid, but how do you know which phase of the moon is right for what you're working? I'm new to this & learning, & I was doing a search for new moon vs full moon because I want to do a fairy calling. I've done a couple in the past, but to be honest didn't even pay attention to the phase of the moon at the time. I know that the new moon is coming, but I'm not quite sure what the significance of it is.

Sorry to sound so silly, but I just had to ask.

Tracy

Hi,

This is going to sound REALLLLY stupid, but how do you know which phase of the moon is right for what you're working? I'm new to this & learning, & I was doing a search for new moon vs full moon because I want to do a fairy calling. I've done a couple in the past, but to be honest didn't even pay attention to the phase of the moon at the time. I know that the new moon is coming, but I'm not quite sure what the significance of it is.

Sorry to sound so silly, but I just had to ask.

Tracy

it isn't stupid....trust me. As the moon changes...you'll begin to feel subtle changes in your body and spirit. Listen to your instincts and act upon them as well :)

Basically a dark moon is used for banishing or even casting hexes and a full moon is good for things like money, love type thing. Best thing to do would be to use Google - theres tons of information out there on this :)

Heres from my grimoire.

New moon - new ventures, job interviews, a new start.

waxing moon - help with existing projects, money, love, protection.

Full moon- Positive magic, important issues, divination, shared ritual.

waining moon - letting go, addictions, ridding one self of negative energies.

dark moon - Divination,Hexing, binding. Darker magic. Banishing, for looking into the darker aspects of yourself, solitary ritual.

I celebrate Full and Dark ... Last night I went to my friends house .. We lit a candle and I did a Tarot reading for her from my new deck .. Amazing readings with the new deck too...

I pretty much use the moon phases as spinney. I like what Anjel said about storms etc. We love to go out in storms when it is windy or even raining. The energy is fantastic :flyaway:

I know I can't beat you folks down south as far as storms go, cause we don't get hurricanes or twisters. But I still enjoy it, even if the winds are only 50 mph or so...icon7.gif

I agree with everyone else here. I like un-complicated stuff. If it is too complicated, I won't do it. I really get inspired during a storm, as well. I like working with the full moon and the waxing phase mostly. I don't feel experienced enough yet for banishings. I try to do a lot of visualization and candle-magick and burning a little incense. It exhausts me to do a full-blown Wiccan-type ritual every month. If there is a certain holiday like Midsummer that resonates within me, then I will. But mostly I like simplicity. It's feels less like a chore. lol

• 2 months later...

On the full moon (weather permitting) I love to go for walks by moonlight. The moon has a way of transforming the landscape into something both eerie and magical. I walk out to "my spot" on the top of a hill overlooking the valley, and just think, meditate, or journey. It's a time to recharge my spiritual batteries. The only thing I bring with me is my staff, because it helps me keep my footing in the dark, and because I never know what kind of wild critters I might encounter. I always hear coyotes howling in the night, and I frequently see raccoons, badgers and other nocturnal animals. I once even encountered a bobcat, which seriously freaked out my poor cat who tagged along. lol

I view the dark moon as a time for introspection and for communing with my ancestors. I like to walk down the long gravel driveway by starlight, but it's just too dark to wander off the beaten path. I sometimes do divination by shooting stars, or just ponder my smallness amidst the sea of stars. I find that the dark moon always gives me clarity and insight. Away from the glare of the moon, you can see many hidden things.

I was originally taught that waxing is for spells wanting "more" and that waning is for those wanting "less." I still often follow this as it is a habit by now, lol, but I will do whatever I need when I need it despite where the moon may or may not be in her phase.

I find the full moon beautiful and energetic, but my personal energy seems to resonate with the dark moon. I find it highly energetic, for me, in a different way. In a quieter yet much stronger way. I am a very private person and love the dark-moon secrets. The dark moon doesn't mean it isn't there just because you can't see it. It's still there and beautiful, but also knows how to move quietly and shows a hidden side. Sensual and sinister, depth and a quiet strength abounding, yet unseen by most people: A reminder to look beyond what you can only see with your eyes. The dark moon isn't running around calling attention to herself and waving spells in everyone's faces... she is the hidden, quiet witch. And the best place to hide is in plain sight ;-)

Those are, for me, the energies and powers and reflections and strenghts and resonations and affiliations I have with the dark moon.

Most people think of me as a bit on the fluffy side as I am, by nature, a nuturer and a happy person and like everyone alse to be happy, too. And I rarely allow others to piss me off - usually I just won't affiliate with them anymore. But if I feel the need, I will strike quietly and strike hard. I don't need the other person to know it was me who struck them. That's why I like the dark moon. :-)

I dont as much celebrate, but do acknowledge always have done since can remember, hugefan and close to the moon out of alot of things. For me the full moon is my best, but love a cresent moon as well. Just feel connection, very magical for me. Great time to do various tasks, like meditate, spirit contact, dream work divination spells and so on. Sooooooo its special yeeeeeeeees every month, and through out the month for me, dont celebrate as such but do indeed connect acknowledge xxx Ps, love moon so much was my first tattoo on arm !!!!!!!!!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Renegade

Both my kids were born on the days of the full moon, and my daughter was born during a lunar eclipse. As a female I do see a pattern between the moon phases and my emotions, and it's widely acknowledged across the board that the moons gravitational pull has an effect on the oceans.

I would therefore say that the moon does play an important role in my life, but I don't perform spells at certain phases or times of the day, just because some table tells me it's wise to. If you have a desperate need for something, you do the spell anyway.

Its more important that you go off your own feelings that useful energy is at its highest. You know through intuition when the time is right, so a celebration set at specific times on certain days surrounding the moons phases, for me, is not a matter of high importance any more than it being of utmost importance to a type of spell being cast according to these "rules".

StarChilde - I do the storm thing too. I get the most horrendous pressure build up in my head the week before a storm arrives, so its a good release! Just a little annoying if you've had this build up all week, and then you only get a tiny storm, because the headache doesn't clear properly!

Archived