21 replies to this topic

#1 Wexler

Wexler

Something wrong? Blame retrograde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:58 PM

I'm currently faced with a large, ugly, emotional situation that I need to take care of. I do not feel confident acting until I gather more information through divination.

However, because I'm so deeply embroiled in this clusterfuck, I feel my emotions and desires will get in the way and cause me to see what I want, instead of what is (I have a history of doing this, and I imagine this problem is pretty common).

I plan on tackling this problem by cleaning myself off (energetically speaking), casting to give myself clarity of thought and an impartial perspective, and meditating immediately before I read. I expect that these efforts will be enough to help me read accurately in this particular situation.

As always, I am curious about what other people might do when faced with the same problem. How do you control your emotions so that you can divine without clouding the issue? Or can strong emotions be a help instead of getting in the way? I wonder if some emotions are more likely to confuse the issue than others.

'Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.'

'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.'

[avatar source]

#2 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:20 AM

When I'm faced with and internal issue I've pushed down and not wanting to face it, I usually go out for a long walk in the Woods. I come back depleted from those unsavory emotions and a bit more clear headed. For me it's a personal connection " outside " my turmoil-ed self, being outside for me is searching for clarity " within ".

I'll gather different living energies around me from trees, fauna and the smell of dirt. Touching and inhaling those earthy things, gives me the grounding I need.

I like to deal with issues with a clear mind and a purposeful hand.

I hope you can resolve this soon, Wexler. :smile:

Regards,

Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#3 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,826 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:22 AM

I generally do what Gypsy does - go for a walk in the woods. However, there have been a couple of times I knew no head-clearing was going to make me objective about what I saw - either the emotions were too strong or I was too close to the situation. I turned to friends for a reading. 

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#4 Galen

Galen

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:47 AM

I generally do what Gypsy does - go for a walk in the woods. However, there have been a couple of times I knew no head-clearing was going to make me objective about what I saw - either the emotions were too strong or I was too close to the situation. I turned to friends for a reading. 

I agree with Mountain Witch. You can be too close to a situation and not get a true reading. I would seek a reading from a third party.

#5 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:54 AM

That's what I do when I'm too close to be objective.

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#6 ArcticWitch

ArcticWitch

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:02 AM

I concur with CG and MW's points.

I've been in positions in the past when I didn't have a current relationship with anyone who performed divination, and really needed some answers to questions that elicited a very strong emotional response from me.  In those cases, I would do my best to disconnect from my situation at that time.  I would never perform the reading in a familiar place, and would expose myself to as many new things at that time as possible to detach from the usual patterns of living.  The approach could be as simple as going out to lunch to a restaurant I'd never visited before finding an unexplored nook at the local park to do my divining.  Or, it could be as complex and devoting an entire day to the task, driving a ways to an area I'd never been to before, and creating a one-time ritual designed exclusively for that one reading to produce the most untainted reading possible.  Everyone's different, and this is just what's worked for me in the past.   :smile:

#7 Wexler

Wexler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:26 AM

Too bad there isn't any nature conveniently nearby, although I suppose if the problem was otherwise insurmountable then taking a long drive to the forest and spending a few hours out in nature might really help. I'm not able to get third party help from anyone, but although I'm in a bit of a pickle I anticipate I can take care of things on my own so I want to face that challenge. (Who knows... maybe I'll get knocked on my ass instead :whistling:)

I like your idea of mundanely separating yourself from the familiar in order to gain clarity, ArcticWitch. If a situation was very close to home (or even in your home) that I think would be excellent advice. I am taking steps to emotionally, rather than physically, remove myself from the situation, although I predict that a nice adventure tomorrow will help clear the air after the reading is done.

Thank you for your well wishes CG :)

[avatar source]

#8 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:45 AM

1. I ask my mother her opinion. Usually I already know what she will say, which means I already know what I should do - I just don't want to do it, lol lol lol.

2. If it's something I don't want to discuss with me mum I will write a short (or long) story about it with two characters facing the same situation I am. Often their choices and how the future pans out for them will give me my answer, but I'm less emotionally involved. (I usually save this one for the REALLY big issues.)

3. I ask my garden and/or "friends" for input and listen hard. Even if I don't like the answer.

4. If it's a relationship and you're already this unhappy, walk out.

5. I try to know what is acceptable to me and what isn't. And base my decisions on that and the fact that people don't suddenly change. And most issues involving emotions involve other humans. So know if what the other human did is acceptable to you. If yes, nothing further need be done. If no, they are not likely to change so you either get out of their life, or get them out of your life (or hair). If it is a family member then I meddle but I also tell them what I think of their actions.

#9 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:18 AM

Wexler, do you do any Astral work? Can you take a short trip to the 'head' clusterfucker? 

(I did this recently and got an answer -- not the one I hoped for, but an answer nonetheless. It helped with moving forward)

I'm sorry you're in a tough spot -- but, I'm sure you'll work it out. Best to you.

The difference between Medicine and Poison is the Dose. :oil-bottle:
I Love you as certain Dark Things are to be Loved,
In Secret, Between the Shadow and the Soul.
- Pablo Neruda

#10 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:20 AM

My power is rooted in my emotions, so feeling overly emotional about a situation is not necessarily going to give me pause.  I would probably have already acted. :)

Knowing yourself is important.  For example, I want what I want, but when something does trip me up, I am less inclined to use Tarot, because I know that I can influence the reading.  The cards will reflect my current state, giving me a false sense of security that I am taking the right course of action.  So, I understand why you hesitate.

I would not necessarily employ a 'clear the mind' strategy, because the more I reflect on a situation, the more likely I am to convince myself that I am right.  (Once again, knowing yourself.)  Outside of family, I tend to be very selfish in that and frankly all regards.  Like Michele, I would be more inclined to seek the counsel of a family member or friend, even if not to discuss on a magical level.  I like perspective. 

I also have ancestral guides that I can call upon, if necessary, though they tend to tell me to sort out my own shit, because I already know the answer.  Asking is seen as a request for validation, which is a cop-out in my circle.  Do what you think is right, accept the consequences, and move on.

#11 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:24 AM

I'm currently faced with a large, ugly, emotional situation that I need to take care of. I do not feel confident acting until I gather more information through divination.

However, because I'm so deeply embroiled in this clusterfuck, I feel my emotions and desires will get in the way and cause me to see what I want, instead of what is (I have a history of doing this, and I imagine this problem is pretty common).

I plan on tackling this problem by cleaning myself off (energetically speaking), casting to give myself clarity of thought and an impartial perspective, and meditating immediately before I read. I expect that these efforts will be enough to help me read accurately in this particular situation.

As always, I am curious about what other people might do when faced with the same problem. How do you control your emotions so that you can divine without clouding the issue? Or can strong emotions be a help instead of getting in the way? I wonder if some emotions are more likely to confuse the issue than others.

I think they can and do confuse or give an inaccurate reading. What do I do - get a reading from a trusted outside source, or calm down by whatever means works for me, give it some time (if possible) and then do the reading for myself.

#12 Wexler

Wexler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:03 AM

Wexler, do you do any Astral work? Can you take a short trip to the 'head' clusterfucker? 

(I did this recently and got an answer -- not the one I hoped for, but an answer nonetheless. It helped with moving forward)

I'm sorry you're in a tough spot -- but, I'm sure you'll work it out. Best to you.

No, I've been reading up on astral work but it isn't a skill I can use practically. That is a good idea, though :D And thank you.

[avatar source]

#13 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:03 AM

There is some really good advice here and I have done most of it and it does help.  I also find that a good meal, a nice bath and sleep can be a wonderful help.  In the twilight before I sleep I ask for clarity on the problem.  Sometimes it comes in dreams, sometimes in waking life.  I have also asked my guides but as Michelle and Jevne said, there is alot of "you already know the answer" and "trust yourself".  With really big issues I hyper focus on my needs (especially sleep) and menial tasks and after a while I will usually have an epiphany and know what to do. 

I have done the nature trip and the long drive thing and they work but sometimes these answers need to float up from the subconscious and you just need time and energy to sort that out. 

#14 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:47 AM

Perhaps try divining and take the results with a grain of salt, trying to see where your emotions might be interfering, and use it to constructively work on eliminating it from future results? Also, maybe using a more systematic approach, like tarot vs scrying, will help. That way you can detail your question more appropriately. I think the suggestions for having someone else read are good too, but it is not always possible.

RSKHFMY

#15 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:04 PM

Or just do the divination, write it down and do the best that you can with it.  Go back and read it 6 months or a year later and then you can see how accurate your interpretation was.  It's also useful for training yourself to remove yourself from your divination.  Yes, it can take a lot of time but I think it's worth it in the end.

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#16 SerpentWitch

SerpentWitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:57 PM

It all depends on you. When I'm very emotional I go out in the woods to clear my mind, then take some tea and take a bath. If I can't go out in nature, I go out as soon as it starts raining or go running for a while. I know I can let go of the emotions for a while if I do that without the risk of overthinking.

Edited by SerpentWitch, 05 March 2014 - 05:57 PM.

Posted ImageWalking in Darkness

#17 anjeaunot

anjeaunot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:56 AM

Hi Wexler

It is always difficult when facing a decision in these circumstances.

Your own feelings can-and do influence the pendulum, cards and runes.

May I suggest an old and trusted random method?  Take 2 dice.  Hold them both in your left hand and throw over the left shoulder.

There are only four totals which can have a bearing on the problem.

You are only allowed 3 attempts to get one of these four totals.

A 5 or a 7 means take no action.  Something totally unexpected will happen to resolve the problem.

A 9 or 11 means crunch time.  You must confront the person or issued head on – and to hell with the consequences.

If none of these four totals comes up then you yourself can do nothing of consequence.  Just move on no matter how much it hurts.  The pain and or hassle will disappear in time – even though you doubt that now.

Edited by anjeaunot, 06 March 2014 - 11:05 AM.

#18 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:05 PM

That's interesting anjeaunot, thanks for sharing. 

One question, how do the numbers you mention get the meaning assigned to them.

#19 Wexler

Wexler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 07:08 PM

Hi Wexler

It is always difficult when facing a decision in these circumstances.

Your own feelings can-and do influence the pendulum, cards and runes.

May I suggest an old and trusted random method?  Take 2 dice.  Hold them both in your left hand and throw over the left shoulder.

There are only four totals which can have a bearing on the problem.

You are only allowed 3 attempts to get one of these four totals.

A 5 or a 7 means take no action.  Something totally unexpected will happen to resolve the problem.

A 9 or 11 means crunch time.  You must confront the person or issued head on – and to hell with the consequences.

If none of these four totals comes up then you yourself can do nothing of consequence.  Just move on no matter how much it hurts.  The pain and or hassle will disappear in time – even though you doubt that now.

Thank you anjeaunot, I've never heard of this before. I think I'll give it a try. I would also be very interested to hear where the numbers got their meanings if you care to share

[avatar source]

#20 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:14 PM

I misread the instructions, thought it said throw three times and see if you get one of the totals.  I got an 11, then 7, then 3 so I take it it's my choice? lol

"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore