Sliders

TobaccoFlower

I did not see a previous topic for this. If I am beating a dead horse, I apologize.

I had a room mate who identified as a slider. She was the reason I first heard of the phenomenon, and she described the term as someone who could affect electricity but could not control it. She was a nightmare around electrical things - she blew more light bulbs than anyone I've seen, we went through 3 toasters in about 4 months, our plugs were always blowing out (I was worried about house fires often) and had a strange rapport with her numerous hand-me-down vehicles, knowing just what to jiggle or shift to get the piece of junk going again without having any formal knowledge of automechanics. This room mate regarded her "outbursts" as fortunate signs, and said that whenever it happened it meant that something good was going to happen. I asked her if she could manipulate things using this ability, and she claimed to have no control over it at all, and did not consider it an ability.

Wikipedia has an article on the topic of sliders: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_light_interference_phenomenon

And here's another

The articles describe this phenomenon a little differently than what she did, but it seems to be similar. Is anyone here familiar with the concept of sliders, or is one themselves?

I just logged in for the first time in awhile, intending on starting a topic about this very thing! Happened to be at the top of the page, first thing I saw. Anyway, I wasn't sure if this really falls into any catergory here, so thanks for taking the lead and starting this discussion. I recently discovered that there was an actual name for this, and that there are studies being done on it. It's been happening to me for as long as I can remember. In my case, it's streetlights. I do also drain watch batteries really fast, and my watch also refuses to keep the date correctly. In the case of the streetlights, I noticed it happening when I would drive home from work late at night. I couldn't figure out how I kept seeing them go out. I mean, what are the odds of one person seeing a streetlight burn out while they're driving under it several times every week? At first, I thought maybe it was because they were run by solar power, and they were running out of power when I saw it go out, not the bulb burning out. But these weren't the solar powered lights I've seen. Then I thought maybe they're motion-sensored (stupid, I know), but that would mean they would come on when I pass near, not go out. Sometimes when I look in my rearview, they come back on. I've had other people in the car with me, and they've seen it sometimes. I can't control it, I've tried. I read a few articles about it, and they seem to think it happens when a person is angry or really upset. I haven't noticed any correlation with my emotions and when they go out. I hope they do more studies on it, and I get some answers, but like most paranormal things, that's unlikely. Good to know there are others, and I'm not crazy.

Interesting! My room mate said it didn't happen to her when she was upset usually, though it did occur a few times. She said it mostly happened randomly, no correlation to emotions, menstruation, seasons, etc. She mentioned it did happen to street lights, but it was rare. Her thing was household appliances, mostly. One ability she had which I personally correlate is her relationship with old machines. She could get a burnt out record player working again, a shitty old-as-mold lamp, you name it. She claimed they were less likely to burn out on her, and had a knack for nursing old electronics back to working states.

Sounds like her version comes in handy. No, I can't sense it at all. After reading that it could be tied to emotion, I tried to make myself angry while driving home from work a few times, to see if it would happen on cue. It didn't. It usually just happens, and I notice it, but it's been going on so long, I don't pay much attention anymore. It does get annoying when I park near a light when I'm alone at night somewhere, and it goes out. So much for safety.

I'm not sure if it comes in handy for her as much as she's figured out means to prevent it from annoying her, and learned to live around it.

Carry pepper spray! Who needs light when you have pepper spray? :D

I guess that's all you can really do, is learn to live with it. It would be cool if it could be controlled. You could really scare some people with that ability. I just watched the movie Red Lights last night, and one of the characters makes electronics short out and explode when he gets upset. Good movie.

I do need some pepper spray. I usually just make my 6' tall 15 year-old son come with me, but he's not that into shopping. Haha!

It would be very cool to control. Turn on the tv? No problem! Scare away "bad guys"? Zap away! I watched my roomie like a hawk, I was fascinated with trying to connect the dots but it seems it really is random

The name apparently comes from "Street Light Interference" or SLIder. Sort of a colloquial term, I suppose.

Very much so relevant. Maybe there are more sliders than I thought?

Ah, I getcha. I admit it's the first time I've heard the word. Apparently this is relatively common, as far as odd abilities go. Although this concept doesn't have much to do with Witchcraft there does seem to be a decently sized overlap, I know there are a few members here who have interesting relationships with electricity and electronics. I know that this phenomena has caught the attention of conspiracy theorists, occultists, and 'cynics' alike.

Personally, I don't have this talent and I'm a wee bit glad for it. All the stories I've heard of it make it sound a little frustrating!

Regarding your friend's relationship with cars, I have heard a few stories about people just knowing what to do with a machine to get it to work, even if they don't have technical knowledge. If I had to guess, I would bet that busting lightbulbs and being able to intuit what's wrong with a machine are two different abilities which merely overlap in a person.

An old fiend use to tell me about her kettles and other electrical appliance, she's go through loads of electic kettles as they'd burn themselves dry (not switch off) - said it was useful when she had a cold as she could fill her kitchen with steam. She was always going through lightbulbs as well. She has no 'affiliation' with the craft afaik.

My husband is a SLIder, affecting street lights.  It doesn't matter if he is driving or walking near them, they go out.  Or if one is out, when he drives or walks under them, they will go on.  (Not all of them but at least one will go out or come on.)

We first noticed this over 25 years ago.

He even used this "talent" as a form of divination.  There was one particular light he would pass each day on his drive home.  If the light was out, he would ask a question about something pertaining to his life.  He said he concentrated so that if the light went on as he drove past, then the answer would be yes, if it did not come on, the answer would be no.

Tis a strange talent.

If my son gets extremely angry, any electionic equipment near him will go haywire.

Rainey - That's a nifty form of divination!

I wonder why street lights are spotlighted (no pun intended) in the name? Why not light bulbs or flashlights or refrigerators? Is it more common for a streetlight to blow, or is it the object random?

I wonder why street lights are spotlighted (no pun intended) in the name? Why not light bulbs or flashlights or refrigerators? Is it more common for a streetlight to blow, or is it the object random?

I think its because they may be slightly different abilities in the terms of frequency affected.  I have no effect on street lights, but I can may make personal electronics and house hold items go haywire, though usually only certain things. It may be that my energy is at frequency that only affects some things and not others which may operate at a different frequency.  Or it could be that there is a common component in the electronic item that my energy affects that is not present in other things. 

In regards to the street light thing, is there a certain bulb that is commonly used in street lights over other bulbs?  Like halogen versus florescent or incandescent? It could be there is a component in that bulb that is sensitive to the energy frequency of some people. 

Case in point.  

Sodium Vapor Bulbs are found in some streets lights.

Theory of operation[edit]
220px-High_pressure_sodium_lamp.svg.png
magnify-clip.png
Diagram of a high pressure sodium lamp.

An amalgam of metallic sodium and mercury lies at the coolest part of the lamp and provides the sodium and mercury vapor that is needed to draw an arc. The temperature of the amalgam is determined to a great extent by lamp power. The higher the lamp power, the higher will be the amalgam temperature. The higher the temperature of the amalgam, the higher will be the mercury and sodium vapor pressures in the lamp and the higher will be the terminal voltage. As the temperature rises, the constant current and increasing voltage result in increased power until the nominal power is reached. For a given voltage, there are generally three modes of operation:

1. The lamp is extinguished and no current flows.
  2. The lamp is operating with liquid amalgam in the tube.
  3. The lamp is operating with all amalgam evaporated.

The first and last states are stable, because the lamp resistance is weakly related to the voltage, but the second state is unstable. Any anomalous increase in current will cause an increase in power, causing an increase in amalgam temperature, which will cause a decrease in resistance, which will cause a further increase in current. This will create a runaway effect, and the lamp will jump to the high-current state (#3). Because actual lamps are not designed to handle this much power, this would result in catastrophic failure. Similarly, an anomalous drop in current will drive the lamp to extinction. It is the second state that is the desired operating state of the lamp, because a slow loss of the amalgam over time from a reservoir will have less effect on the characteristics of the lamp than a fully evaporated amalgam. The result is an average lamp life in excess of 20,000 hours.

In practical use, the lamp is powered by an AC voltage source in series with an inductive "ballast" in order to supply a nearly constant current to the lamp, rather than a constant voltage, thus assuring stable operation. The ballast is usually inductive rather than simply being resistive to minimize resistive losses. Because the lamp effectively extinguishes at each zero-current point in the AC cycle, the inductive ballast assists in the reignition by providing a voltage spike at the zero-current point.

So this may be Greek to some people but it sounds to me like these lamps are operating in a very unstable state where any change will cause it to explode or go out depending if its an increase or decrease in energy. 

Whiterose - thank you for finding that! That's incredibly informative. I wonder if running your electronics on a surge protector would help, since it protects from some of this instability?

Or, perhaps using something to absorb runaway energy would help. I know nothing about electricity, and it may sound weird, but perhaps something common like static-absorbing fabric softener sheets would help? I know static is a different type of electricity, but maybe it would help? Or perhaps make a wire-cup bra using a conductive metal, creating a circuit throughout your body which may control it?

These are just some passing thoughts. I have only known one slider, and am largely clueless about the nature of electronics.

I would certainly hesitate to call this an ability or talent, no offense to the people to whom this may pertain.  It sounds more like a pain in the ass, seeing as how you may need to replace certain things more often.

I don't know.  I used to go on walks with my uncle, many years ago, in my teens, and we'd notice this happening.  He didn't attribute it to anything.  Haven't thought of that in years, nor has he mentioned it.  I imagine if he kept blowing out the electronics he'd bitch about it!  LoL I'll ask him next time I see him and see if this still happens.

Anyway, it's been proven time and time again that the electromagnetic field produced by the brain extends past the skull.  It is measurable at a distance, however it is typically measured by electrodes placed on the scalp, as the intensity is much higher the closer to the actual brain you get.

Electromagnetic radiation follows the inverse square law.  Perhaps a small subset of the population at large produce EM fields at a frequency that affects only certain things in particular.  It  isn't implausible.  

Who knows?  If it's measurable then science can get a handle on it.  

I have never heard the term slider, but destroyed toasters, lightbulbs, numerous blenders and microwaves, and various other electronics. I have given up trying to wear watches, as they lose time constantly and stop working altogether within a week or two. I did have one watch that I was able to wear for quite a whie without issue, it was a heavy duty one, incased in rubber, so perhaps that is why. The batteries on my personal electronics, such as laptop, tablets, mp3 players and cellphones seem to run down much faster then they should, and I also go through those pretty quickly as well. I do seem to have an effect on streetlights as well. They will go off as I walk by. My emotions do not seem to make much difference, though there may be a slightly higher occurence when I am angry. As of yet, I do not seem to be able to controle it to any reliable degree. Wish I could, that might be fun.

I am not sure if this is related to my effect on electronics and what not, but once while I was receiving a reiki session, the practitioner told me sucked up the energy like a sponge.

I just wanted to clarify that I don't think the street lights actually blow, they just go out or if one it out it will come on when he is near.  And it's not all of them.  But, I never thought about why he doesn't affect other light sources.

Archived