27 replies to this topic

#1 MaryElizabeth

MaryElizabeth

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 06:15 AM

So, i searched and there's nothing on this show. It's one of the new Netflix original series and out of all of them it's my favorite (arrested development doesn't count as a new series). It's based off the novel by Brian McGreevy and sticks fairly close to it. The official description

The mangled body of a teenage girl is discovered outside a rusted Pennsylvania steel town, where every resident harbors a dark secret. Suspicions and accusations mount as a manhunt for the killer intensifies, even as evidence mounts that the suspect is not a man at all.

So it involves Upir mythology (Eastern European Vampires), Lycanthropy, some witchcraft, Roma characters, a shadowy Catholic monster-hunting league, angelic conception, murder mystery, fringe science/science fiction, and family & teen drama. It's also got one of the best werewolf transformation scenes I have come across since American Werewolf in London. 

The second season is supposed to be available for streaming sometime this year but it's still in production, I believe. If anyone is considering watching it I do want to warn (on the off chance of certain specific triggers for panic attacks, etc) for body horror & gore, sexual assault/rape, sexualized violence, themes of incest, and the fact that while both protagonists are (i would say) antiheroes one in particular is awful/sexist/classist in the kind of way that obscenely rich teenagers with no accountability tend to be.

ETA the trailer for season 1

Edited by MaryElizabeth, 02 July 2014 - 09:13 PM.

Why have gender roles when you can have pizza rolls?

#2 Roanna

Roanna

She of the spiders and degus...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:06 AM

The second season is supposed to be available for streaming sometime this year but it's still in production, I believe. If anyone is considering watching it I do want to warn (on the off chance of certain specific triggers for panic attacks, etc) for body horror & gore, sexual assault/rape, sexualized violence, and the fact that while both protagonists are (i would say) antiheroes one in particular is awful/sexist/classist in the kind of way that obscenely rich teenagers with no accountability tend to be.

Horror, gore, sexualised violence? You've sold it to this witch Mary Elizabeth!

Do what you believe to be the right thing and trust yourself.

Witchpathforward My website incorporating "Ask a Witch a Question," my blog and websites of witchy interest.

#3 MaryElizabeth

MaryElizabeth

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:48 PM

haha, i figured it wouldn't be a problem for most but i just wanted to be on the safe side.

#4 ArcticWitch

ArcticWitch

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:49 PM

Thanks for the synopsis, Mary. I've been hankering to get into a new series via Netflix, and HG sounds perfect.

#5 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:16 AM

Hey Mary Elizabeth... While snowed in we watched Season One.

My niece, who's 15,  loved the show. She's a budding writer and tolerates 'darkness' very well.

(I dreamed afterwards that she'd become a Witch in a few years, much to her mother's disapproval and punishment... a terrible dream, actually.)

Ever since that show, I've noticed that Snake Symbol several times. 

My niece is keeping an eye out for Season Two... so thanks for the post :)

The difference between Medicine and Poison is the Dose. :oil-bottle:
I Love you as certain Dark Things are to be Loved,
In Secret, Between the Shadow and the Soul.
- Pablo Neruda

#6 RavenFlyer

RavenFlyer

Backwoods Witch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:07 PM

Hey Mary Elizabeth... While snowed in we watched Season One.

My niece, who's 15,  loved the show. She's a budding writer and tolerates 'darkness' very well.

(I dreamed afterwards that she'd become a Witch in a few years, much to her mother's disapproval and punishment... a terrible dream, actually.)

Ever since that show, I've noticed that Snake Symbol several times. 

My niece is keeping an eye out for Season Two... so thanks for the post :)

You mean the ouroborus? The snake eating it's own tail? It's an ancient symbol and used a lot. I actually have it tattooed on myself as does my mother.

My ETSY store:

Appalachian Witchery http://www.etsy.com/...lachianWitchery

#7 Roanna

Roanna

She of the spiders and degus...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:13 PM

You mean the ouroborus? The snake eating it's own tail? It's an ancient symbol and used a lot. I actually have it tattooed on myself as does my mother.

The eternal circle - the life that has no beginning and no end. A very apt symbol for witchcraft.

Do what you believe to be the right thing and trust yourself.

Witchpathforward My website incorporating "Ask a Witch a Question," my blog and websites of witchy interest.

#8 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 06:34 PM

Ahh, a name for it !!! Yes, the ouroborus !!! What a cool tattoo it must be :smile:  Learn something new each day... thanks RF.

Here's an excerpt from Wiki:

The Ouroborosoften symbolizeself-reflexivity or cyclicality, especially in the sense of something constantly re-creating itself, the eternal return, and other things such as the phoenix which operate in cycles that begin anew as soon as they end. It can also represent the idea of primordial unity related to something existing in or persisting from the beginning with such force or qualities it cannot be extinguished. While first emerging in Ancient Egypt, the Ouroboros has been important in religious and mythological symbolism, but has also been frequently used inalchemical illustrations, where it symbolizes the circular nature of the alchemist's opus. It is also often associated with Gnosticism, and Hermeticism.

Rose, yes... An apt symbol for sure. 

Edited by Nikki, 05 March 2014 - 06:41 PM.

- Pablo Neruda

#9 ArcticWitch

ArcticWitch

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:38 PM

Since my last post, I've made it about 2/3 of the way through the first season.  I've found it quite enjoyable, and it's the first show I've recommended to acquaintances since 'Breaking Bad'.  The plot progression reminds me a bit of 'X Files': doesn't spoon-feed the entire season's details to the audience in the first couple of episodes.  Looking forward to the second season.

#10 MaryElizabeth

MaryElizabeth

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:44 PM

I know they wrapped filming on it, I think it'll be out by fall at the very latest.

#11 MaryElizabeth

MaryElizabeth

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:11 PM

Updates!

Season two is up on netflix July 11!

And the trailer for s2

I'm very excited, it looks like the writers aren't letting what Peter Rumancek did last season go without consequence. I'm a bit bummed that I didn't see his mom Lynda (played by Lili Taylor) since I think her character was really needed for balance (esp as a sort of foil for Olivia Godfrey). We get to see how Roman reacts to his new transformation and what the consequences of Dr. Pryce's special present for Shelley will bring.

#12 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 10:05 PM

VERY COOL... thanks for the update, hon !!!

July 11 it is :) Whoo hoo

Ahhh. I hope we see Lili Taylor and you're right about the balance between the mothers. So smart you are, MaryEliazbeth !!!

- Pablo Neruda

#13 uncertainfuture

uncertainfuture

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:00 PM

My daughter loves this show. She watched the entire season over the weekend.

#14 CailinRua

CailinRua

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 05:17 PM

I did the same thing!

#15 uncertainfuture

uncertainfuture

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 02:57 AM

I did the same thing!

It's a guilty pleasure type of show. It's no where near the quality of House of Cards or Orange is the New Black but it's fun, along the lines of Salem, Lost Girl and Witches of East End.

Bill Skarsgard isn't a bad looking kid (Roman) but it's hard to measure up to his brother, Alexander. Then again, it would be hard for many men to measure up to him.

#16 CailinRua

CailinRua

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:24 PM

Alexander is the most attractive one for sure, but all of those brothers are easy to look at haha. Orange is the new black and witches of east end i liked very much as well as american horror story (all three seasons because im a fiend for dark weirdness). Havent seen the others you mentioned, will have to check them out.

#17 uncertainfuture

uncertainfuture

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 02:57 PM

I am also hooked on American Horror-it's another guilty pleasure.

#18 Branwen

Branwen

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:53 PM

Well, now that I've read this entire thread, I am going to have to check this out. I generally try not to get involved in new (to me) series just because I do my best to get not wrapped up in TV in general, but you all have me convinced now. Gee, thanks. :P

People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of their character. - Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803 - 1882)

My Business Facebook Page: Brawnen's Botanicals

#19 bronzewolf

bronzewolf

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 08:13 PM

i watched the first episode last night and it certainly has got me curious......

the programs
orange is the new black and house of cards are they of they same genre?

#20 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 10:24 PM

I enjoyed Hemlock Grove, but I think they stopped making it :-(

M