Things You Always Wanted to Know But Were Afraid to Ask

Nikki

So okay, you’ve done your research !!!

You’ve scoured the Internet...

You’ve read the TW Forums till your eyes melted & the phrase THE SEARCH BUTTON IS YOUR FRIEND has been drilled into your Witchy head...

You’ve purchased and read some Witchy books and STILL cannot find that little gem of knowledge you’re looking for… grrrrr.

Here’s a place where you can explore those Witchy questions, interests, curiosities you have about the Craft without worrying about judged or publicly embarrassed. 

No question is too big or small.

**Answers are not guaranteed but, hey… some amazing Witch might know where you can find what you’re looking for**

"People like you and I, though mortal, of course, like everyone else, do not grow old no matter how long we live...We never cease to stand like curious children before the great mystery into which we were born." – Albert Einstein in a letter to Otto Juliusburger.

Edited by Nikki
  • Upvote 1

Okay, I'll play.

Concerning altars (for those who use them):

I've read and heard that altars should "face" the North, South, East of West.  And we are supposed to stand before the altar.

So...what exactly does it mean to "face" a certain direction?

Example - If it faces West, does that mean it is placed on an East wall, or does it mean that by placing the altar on the West, then that satisfies the requirement for facing a West wall?

Also, if the altar faces a certain direction, then if you stand in front of it, are you not facing the opposite(wrong) direction?  I mean, why place it one direction if you are going to be standing in front of it facing the opposite direction?

Is this making any sense?

Just something that always confused me.  I actually do not bother with directions and such, I just thought it was confusing.

Another question:  If you work with ancestors and you know for a fact that your deceased parent or grandparent or whoever, was a devout Christian, then why would you expect them to work with a witch, since Christianity is deathly opposed to witches?

Okay, that's a couple of things I've wondered about.

• Upvote 2

Great post, Rainylane !!!

I've read such conflicting info on the directions of Altars (any all things Witchy) it's a freaking nightmare !!!!  As with anything in Witchcraft, following your own instinct is good advice we've all been given. 

It's interesting how Christianity and wicca can play tricks with a Witches head, eh? 

For me, I settled on North (or as close to north as I can get ) for my working Altar -- the thinking behind this is the idea of "Rising up and 'Higher Purpose'. It suits me. 

I don't think if I did a spell outdoors and weren't facing North, it would fail because I wasn't in 'proper' direction. That's just silly. 

Ancestors: Yes, I've had this concern too. Again, here's my thinking... OK, without going into detail, spells and prayers are similar in ways (and albeit VERY different, too)

Using how they are similar aided me in my daily practice, especially in the beginning... which lead me to wanting to honor my dead.  

I love honoring my deceased loved ones !!!  Whether they will help or not, well... so be it !!! In my opinion, they already know I'm a Witch and love me anyway. Why wouldn't they help me, especially, in terms of protection and self-defense, or even hexing if it's warranted?

I've also feel that when we pass over, all those worldly man-made doctrines die with the physical body and are replaced by an universal truth... and, with that thought...

I am confident that my relatives will and aid me with all their might. 

I'm really interested in & drawn to Baneful Herbs, Flying Ointments and Sex Magik !!!!

Sex Magick is what I know least about and cannot seem to find anything about it here. 

Edited by Nikki
  • Upvote 2

OH Galen, thanks for replying.....Care to share? I really cannot find anything on the subject, and I actually need some guidance. 

I have some ideas (following my intuition) but I would be wonderful to utilize sound Witchy knowledge. 

Should you not feel comfortable posting here, you can PM me... whatever works for you. Thanks Galen :smile:

Edited by Nikki
  • Upvote 1

OH Galen, thanks for replying.....Care to share? I really cannot find anything on the subject, and I actually need some guidance. 

I can briefly give you the background: One of my male lovers has been, through circumstance, taught not to 'let go' sexually. It's very sad, actually. He's a wonderful man.

He's been ripped off and BEING SEXUALLY FREE is everyone's birthright, IMHO. 

Because he and I are bonded on a spiritual level, I cannot turn a blind eye. There's a beast inside of him that we need free (Oh my, I hopeI don't live to regret that !! lol)

So, he's onboard with me using magical intervention and is very excited about it. 

I have some ideas (following my intuition) but I would be wonderful to utilize sound Witchy knowledge. 

Should you not feel comfortable posting here, you can PM me... whatever works for you. Thanks Galen :smile:

Nikki, there is another section to this board that we newbies are not allowed to access until we are accepted as Full Members.  It's possible that you may find something related in there once you've been accepted.  That's just speculation, though.

• Upvote 1

My pleasure Nikki. Now that we have a non-public forum, I am happy to share. I will make a new topic on Sex Magick where we can all post and share.

• Upvote 2

As some of you may have read in the shout, some dude came way too fucking close last night. I've (somewhat) protected myself from energy/magick attacks but how do I protect myself from humans?

Niamh... just wondering...what did you say/do mundanely to ward him away?

As some of you may have read in the shout, some dude came way too fucking close last night. I've (somewhat) protected myself from energy/magick attacks but how do I protect myself from humans?

I saw a couple of your messages in shout, but I wasn't able to get the full story. However, I think there are quite a few options when it comes to protection against humans. I think I saw someone in the shoutbox mentioning either sachets or charms. I'd fill the sachets with protective herbs (cinnamon, bay, etc.) and carry that around, or sprinkle them around a building..depending on what the situation is. You could also charge and carry stones (iron, jade, amber, etc.) for protection. I also read somewhere that garlic is really potent for protection - I guess that's why it was use to ward off vampires. If you don't mind the smell. :sweat:

Niamh... just wondering...what did you say/do mundanely to ward him away?

Well we were just talking at first, but when we got off the train he asked if he could get my phone number. I told him no. Then he asked for my address. Said no again. He was about to leave so he asked for a hug. I'm one of those people who will hug almost anyone as a farewell. A fairly normal conversation up until then. He started talking again, then asked for a kiss. I mean, seriously? But okay, I'm glad he asked instead of just doing it. I said no again, and he said something along the lines of "oh well, I'd better leave". So, we hugged again, he tried to kiss me and then told me he liked my tits. I can't exactly translate what I said but it was something along the lines of "dude, you shouldn't have done that, I said no, you're an asshole". I then stepped aside (he was now standing very close to me and I was getting more and more uncomfortable around him). I sort of ignored him but I think I might have had some sort of disgusted look on my face. I should have broken his nose right then and there, but because it happened so fast I was just.. perplex.

He kept talking to me and said that I should "take care of his penis" and some other things about his penis that I couldn't hear over the noise of the train.

The only thing I did was say no, but that shouldn't really matter. No means no and should be enough.

@yanagi: Okay, thanks! I will probably use something like that combined with the jewelry I'm already wearing. Going to have to break any spells on them and completely reword and enchant (is that the right word?) them again.

this is just my opinion.... take it or leave it... at your own peril. 

We can all give you magical advice, but that's not what you need.  Girl, you have learn how to protect yourself better in public.

As women we can never be careful enough !!!  STRANGE MEN ARE DANGEROUS MEN. Period. 

Success is NOT ALLOWING anyone this fucked-up near to begin with. Predators can be very charming, but make no mistake, they seek out trusting people to victimize.  

HE CHOSE YOU out of everyone on that train for A REASON !!! That's cause for extreme concern. 

Had you been in a more secluded place you might have had much more than an uncomfortable experience. Rape or worse.  

Mundanely, I'd work on NOT being so approachable to begin with. Your guards need to be up -- traveling alone or not. Your senses need to clear and your Witchy powers on HIGH. 

Without employing ALL your powers and common sense, sachets (albeit lovely) aren't going to prevent a psycho from stalking or killing you. 

Please don't substitute survival behaviors for a magical solution to a mundane problem. 

Magic is the answer after all mundane options and solutions have been explored.  

EVERYDAY women and girls are victims are horrific crimes. LEARN HOW TO DEFEND YOURSELF IN THE REAL WORLD !!!

Okay.. lecture over. 

I'm very sorry this happened to you. Life is  a tough teacher, she gives you the Test first and the Lesson later. LEARN from this. IT may save your life someday.

Edited by Nikki
  • Upvote 3

I don't really think he chose me actually. He had been talking to a lot of other people on the train about all kinds of things. I just happened to be the last one who had to get off the train at the same place as he did. Out of all the people on the train I probably looked the least approachable.. Long black leather jacket, dark makeup, staring at my phone. Not the kind of person most people want to hug unles they have a good conversation first. He was not a charming guy. Just a strange black man with lots of things to say about racism and some sort of dream about a better world.

If some psycho really wants to stalk or kill me he will find a way. That's not about being a woman. That's about a psycho who sees someone who fits his type of victims.
I'm not going to live in fear again, shutting out everyone around me like I used to do. The things that have happened in the past have made me afraid to allow myself to feel any emotions. Anger is the worst of all. Not feeling anything makes it easier for people to physically get close to me. It's a problem.

There are some things I need to change (like punching someone in the face immediately when they do something like this) and yeah, I did lots of things wrong. But that doesn't mean it was my fault that this happened. It only means that next time I see him and he dares to talk to me, he might not be able to walk for a while. And maybe next time someone tries to do the same thing, they will at least break their nose.
Or maybe not because I'm still just a human being.

And honestly, I'm kind of done with being judged and lectured for this. Blame the creep, not me. 

Edited by NiamhBrennaDarcy

Ah, now that I've heard the whole story, I'm not sure how helpful my advice was, sorry.. :sweat: I assumed it was some creep you knew that couldn't grasp the concept of personal space.. In the case I'd just described, I'd definitely try and exhaust my options (mundanely), and then move on to something magical.

But in that situation, NBD, I don't think you did anything wrong. You had no idea that that man was going to act that way, and nothing you did warranted that sort of behavior. Even if you engage a stranger in conversation, that doesn't give them a right to harass you, and it totally sucks that your kindness was repaid that way.  :dry:

I agree with you, Nikki. It's important to keep your guard up. As a young woman living nearly 4,000 miles from any close friends or family, I understand that it's super important to stay safe. The world is a dangerous place, and I don't live in fear, but I have enough of it to constantly stay alert.

Okay, so, I have a question - laugh if you must.. As I've said in many of my posts, I've never cast a spell.. :red_witch: I've read a lot of books on raising power and releasing it, but what exactly does it feel like? I'm sure it's different for everyone, but hopefully I can get some similar answers. When I make attempts, I tend to get kind of tingly all over. 

Ok, so I agree with alot of what Nikki said, I'm not judging you NBD, and I agree compleatly that he is to blame. What you do and who you chose to talk to is entirely your buisness. And refusing to live in the fear society instills in us as women is certainly a good thing. One thing I will say is that I personally ( I am a bit on the antisocial side anyway) would not want to hug someone I don't know well. It seems to me like a huge invasion of personal space. Could just be me.

• Upvote 1

Agreed. My only advice is don't hug strange people anymore. You didn't do anything wrong to cause him to react like that but some men are pigs and even something as innocent as a hug can lead them on into thinking they can get a little something extra. How their mind works is a mystery in itself but it's best to be proactive and avoid a situation in the first place by just being like "it was nice taking to you but I don't feel comfortable hugging someone I don't really know, have a good night, goodbye." Walk away.

Not like a situation is likely to happen again, but just in case... You don't have to live in fear or shut people out though, just make sure they accept that you have a preference for personal space and leave it at that :)

I've been in a similar situation and it is scary.  There are psychos out there that think any act of kindness is an invitation.  I learned the hard way.

What I did was charge a piece of obsidian and carried it in my pocket.  It's amazing how well that worked.  When I felt threatened, I would slip my hand into my pocket and hold onto the obsidian piece and imagined a shatter-proof glass surrounding me.  It was interesting to see people take a step back from me without them even realizing it.

If you travel by train a lot you are going to encounter weirdos a lot.  Why not charge and carry something like an umbrella.  Keep that umbrella between you and anyone else at all times.  If someone get too close use it as a buffer or in a threatening manner, or clobber the jerk over the head with it.  Or you can buy one of those small air horns and blast it if anyone gets too close again.

You didn't do anything wrong by being friendly, the jerk did.

I'm so sorry you went through that.  Stay safe.

• Upvote 2

There's a wonderful thread entitled: When Things Happen in a Witch's Life. It deals with protection and when things go awry. A very thought-provocting thread. 

Okay, so, I have a question - laugh if you must.. As I've said in many of my posts, I've never cast a spell.. :red_witch: I've read a lot of books on raising power and releasing it, but what exactly does it feel like? I'm sure it's different for everyone, but hopefully I can get some similar answers. When I make attempts, I tend to get kind of tingly all over. 

I love that tingling feeling !!!! I call that my ZONE... for me, it's all my energy rising to the surface. After I cast (or blast) I feel relieved.. like... whew !!! Sometimes I fee light, like a weight is lifted. Then, depending on how intense or how long the spell took... I'm dizzied !!! Then, about 10-20 minutes later I feel wiped out. One spell wiped me out for 24 hours.

I think it's really important to ground your energy after casting. Some people do it through visualization techniques, eating something a small meal, bathing.

But, I usually don't feel much after a small spell or enchantment that I just do on the fly during the course of the day... That feels like just releasing a breath. 

It'll be cool to read how other people feel.  But, there's no substitute for your own experience... wink, wink. 

• Upvote 1

@ Yanagi

For me it sometimes feels like I am holding my breath (although I'm not) followed by a huge exhale, then a sort of calm afterwards.  These are not things I do, just sort of what it feels like for me.  It's hard to describe.  When I first started out I was expecting something HUGE, but for me it was very subtle. Sometimes I feel nothing, but it works just as well.

After doing a spell I get a gut feeling about whether it was successful or not.  If it doesn't feel right, I will attempt the spell again at a later time, with more focus and intent.  It takes a while to get the hang of it.  Start small and work your way up.   Be positive and don't doubt yourself.  Imagine, no, know that it will work.

• Upvote 2

Thank you both for your answers - they were suuuper helpful~! I'll definitely keep your advice in mind when I finally do one (which will definitely be soon, Nikki!). I know everyone has different experiences, but I really appreciate you sharing yours with me! :) Start small? I can manage that. I think!

• 1 month later...

I hope it's okay to shift the subject, please advise if not.

This is my concern:

I don't want a corporeal familiar, I don't mind a spirit one, but I do not want to be responsible for harming a living creature because of something I've done. Is there a way to ensure any familiars that come my way are spirit only?

Raineylane, you have other answers to your question at the top.  Add one if you wish.  In the tradition I was taught the altar is nominally placed in the North.  I think everyone agrees that it is set up to be accessible from the inside area of the circle if you use a circle.  This allows the man to stand to the altar right and the woman to stand to the altar left, while also placing the man in the east and the woman in the west.   Differing traditions and people have differing views on where the altar should be placed.  Pick one as your basic and standard choice and have a reason for choosing it.  Change its location for certain rituals if you want, but again only if you choose deliberately to do so.  If you want your magick to be effective, there may be few if any absolutes, but everything, every choice you make must be DELIBERATE and CONSIDERATE; never like "Oh what the hell, I think I'll just set it over here." Magick is the exercise of Will, so you must act intentionally, if not with reason for every choice at least with intuitive consideration behind every choice.  Directions and motions of every sort can convey or enhance the message of your ritual, if you so Will it.  I like North because to me the Earth represents the deepest levels of Mind and Consciousness, where all our experiences end and where all our actions begin.  An article that is coming out at Witchvox tonight (after midnight) will explain my thinking there in somewhat more depth.  But every direction has its symbology and importance, and it is up to you to know them and use them considerately, intentionally, never haphazardly.  Correct action may be variable with tradition and many other factors, but consistent action is essential.  Like all craftwork, magick is an art and a skill.  Learn the art and the skill will come only with repeated practice.  There's my two cents, and today we have a 50% discount in addition to your member savings of one cent.  So this is coming cheap.  Er, ...I hope you get something more than what you pay for.

Samm Crow (Bran th' Blessed)

Edited by SammCrow