The Candle and the Crossroads by Orion Foxwood.

foxman

Anyone read it? Reading it? I'm immersed into it when I'm not setting up the magazine, doing craft stuff or looking at Mac Mags and stuff. I'm finding it a great book, but then Orion seems to have the 'gift' for writing. Elsewhere I said that I was into Appalachian Music - well I've just realised that I'm into Appalachian Conjure and Southern Root Work too! Its similar to the Cunning Stuff that I do - but refreshingly different and down to Earth. I've not finished the book yet, but I'm going to give this book the Thumbs up in my Magazine when I review it in May1 What do you think - lets have your thoughts and your feelings about it...foxy

I've had the book for a whole. And I'm trudging through it slowly. As someone raises within that tradition I don't find him to be all the interesting and his writing style doesn't work for me. But I find he has some ok information so far. I do have an issue with him mixing neopagan thought into this areas traditions though. I know as trad witches we take what works and rearrange things to fit our mode of working but I have a deep resentment for people who change an areas Modus operandi to suit their own cultural needs. You will not find in many, if any, families of the Appalachian mountains that call upon the morrigan or any other celtic (whatever other culture) deities. The people of the mountains worked closely with the land spirits, fae, the ancestors, and the Christian concepts of divinity. While Catholics were greatly shunned in the area it wouldn't be weird to have the "witch" use a catholic prayer or call on Mary, Joseph, Moses, or one of the disciples. So I am still forcing myself to finish his book with hopes that it improves. But as it is I am not impressed so far.

And I can speak with authority on this subject as I have been born and raised in the Appalachian mountains and continue to live here. I also teach workshops about the magical beliefs and practices of area.

Ah! I got you RavenFlyer! When I'm in the country or just in my garden at home I sometimes think in my head what I would like to do with my garden  and direct it at any land spirits in the area who can read my thoughts. Quite often a plant that's having trouble surviving because of a bad winter, starts to pick up just by my thinking "i wish some spirit would come and help this plant where I can't." I don't know why it happens (well no! I do, but It happens when I least expect it). I always leave something  for the spirits even if its a bowl of milk or something they can use like a broken ear-ring with the stone still attached to it. it often mysteriously vanishes from the hidden spot that I put it so I know something got there first and took it! In the wilds of Northumberland there are some really beautiful waterfalls and it is in these places I often feel there is something there sitting beside me or keeping me company even if I can't see them. I love going to elfin places. Thank you for that! So I'm not mad then? :smile: Ooh Careful, RavenFlyer, I used that term - "I can speak with Authority..." and got jumped on for being haughty! :smile: I've bookmarked your Etsy page, to get back to. foxy

Archived