9 replies to this topic

#1 Yanagi

Yanagi

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 04:55 AM

Hey, everyone~! 

I know I keep bringing up the subject of playing card divination, and I'm still not sure how many people do it.. But, honestly, I don't think it matters - I think this could apply to any form of divination. 

When I first started reading, I found a site that gave meanings of each of the individual cards, but not what they meant when put together. I was extremely confused, and because I had no one to ask, I quickly gave up. When I picked the cards up again late last year (after joining this forum!), I came across a post on one of the threads that gave a link to HedgeWytchery's "Cartomancy for the Witch of Poor Memory". When I went through it, it seemed perfect - it gave not only the meanings of the individual cards, but also their meanings when read together..and it rhymed, so it was extremely easy to remember!  :pumpkin_rolleyes: The only real problem, is that there was no relation between the two at all. The meanings were totally different for each of the sources.

Anyways, I did a card reading recently, and the cards that I drew didn't seem to have any relation to the question posed...when I used HedgeWytchery's method. However, when I looked at the other source, it made perfect sense.

I guess my real question (sorry, I didn't mean to ramble..) is..has this happened to anyone else? Have you seen two totally different interpretations of one form of divination? And if so, which one did you decide to use, and why? I'm not sure if I should've tried harder to interpret the draw using HedgeWytchery's interpretation or not..

Thank you in advance for your thoughts~. 

Yanagi

"Part of doing something is listening. We are listening. To the sun. To the stars. To the wind." - Madeleine L'Engle

"When you stop learning, stop listening, stop looking and asking questions - always new questions - then, it is time to die." - Lillian Smith

#2 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 05:11 AM

Honestly, I don't use book interpretations for anything.  I use associations common to my family or ones that I have developed over the years; correspondences that have meaning to me.  I have been reading Tarot and using other forms of divination for many years (35+) and I have never read a book on someone else's interpretation.  I think that folks should read enough to get the general meanings and interact with the divination tool in such a way as to form their own opinions.   I am not one to care how other people interpret things.

#3 Wexler

Wexler

Something wrong? Blame retrograde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 05:23 AM

This isn't meant to be snarky, but I'm sure it will come off that way.

People can literally just make up sources and post them online or print them in books. Just because information is on a website doesn't mean it is valid. As far as I can recall finding free information on cartomancy is not especially easy. People who make free websites often just copy information from each other or post their own feelings or opinions. It would not surprise me that a free witch resource online is nonsensical or wrong.

I choose what information to use based on whether or not it makes sense to me. If I read two totally conflicting accounts on how to use a divination tool, and I had no other information, I would try both and do what I preferred. After all, the right way is the way which gets the best results :D

'Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.'

'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.'

[avatar source]

#4 SerpentWitch

SerpentWitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:30 AM

I use tarot cards with books that are made for that specific deck. I start just by using the cards a lot to get to know them. After a while I get a feeling for the cards and their meanings based on the image/colours/symbolism on them.

Edited by NiamhBrennaDarcy, 06 February 2014 - 10:30 AM.

Posted ImageWalking in Darkness

#5 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 04:35 PM

I'm with J W and N, on this topic. I started by learning the traditional meanings according to the deck. I discounted those that I felt did not fit the card. Over time, I developed nuances of meaning to the cards. I also listen to my intuition - it takes precedence over the traditional meaning. The meaning of the cards in a layout are affected by other cards in the layout. Most of the time I don't use layout meanings, for example, the Celtic Cross.

All I can say is, experiment, and the method that gives you accurate readings is the one for you to use.

If I were to listen to this source, to that source and three more sources, I would get totally confused, and may end up just spinning my wheels in place.

As in anything, persistence and practice is the key. 

#6 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 05:04 PM

For playing card divination, it can be helpful to study numerology and symbolism.  This is the book I have and its excellent:

http://www.amazon.co...eywords=symbols

It gives a basic rundown of every symbol you can think of across the world, numerology included. Once you have a basic foundation in symbolism, try to work with the cards like the others suggested.  With a solid foundation you may be less frustrated. 

spelling edit*

Edited by Whiterose, 06 February 2014 - 05:37 PM.

#7 Yanagi

Yanagi

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:25 AM

Thank you all so much! I really, really appreciate all of your thoughts - snarky or not (kidding, Wexler!). 

Jevne, I agree. I think it's important to find what the cards mean to you specifically (after researching the history of the tool first, of course!) I think it's great that you're able to draw from your family tradition, and I hope I'll be able to pass along the knowledge I've gathered to my own children someday. 

Wexler, I get what you mean. I've seen enough BS posted on the 'net to understand to take everything with a grain of salt..or not to use the information at all. I should definitely do more research on the historical meanings of the cards, and try to base my practice off of those. 

N.B.D., once I get back into tarot, I'll definitely have to look into those types of card sets. Thanks~.

Autumn Moon, I'll keep that in mind. That's really good advice - I'll do a reading, and see which is the most accurate. Honestly, I think this whole problem might've been the result of me being impatient. Maybe I should've looked harder for the meaning in the cards that I drew, instead of immediately saying, "Well, this doesn't work! Let's see what the other source says."

Whiterose, thank you so much! I love book recommendations.  :eheheh: I'll definitely check it out.

"Part of doing something is listening. We are listening. To the sun. To the stars. To the wind." - Madeleine L'Engle

"When you stop learning, stop listening, stop looking and asking questions - always new questions - then, it is time to die." - Lillian Smith

#8 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:55 AM

Make offerings to the tarot spirits.  Scry them out and call them.  Make offerings for guidance, and use your intuition.

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#9 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:57 AM

You can also blood your cards, so they have a more direct connection to you!

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#10 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 08:14 AM

Make offerings to the tarot spirits.  Scry them out and call them.  Make offerings for guidance, and use your intuition.

Would you mind explaining this a bit further for me? I've heard something along the same line as this, but am looking for more of a descriptive/concrete answer regarding "contacting" the tarot spirits and "offerings". 

I see you're getting your degree in art of the obvious~myself
Without music life would be a mistake~ Friedrich Nietzsche
Immorality: The morality of those who are having a better time~ H.L. Mencken
When nature has work to be done, she creates a genius to do it~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
We cannot teach people anything; we can only help them discover it within themselves~ Galileo

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: divination, cartomancy, interpretation