• This topic is locked This topic is locked
78 replies to this topic

#1 foxman

foxman

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:48 AM

Arora, Tana, and some others wanted to know my name - you only needed to ask. I Jeremy Crawford run www.touchwoodmagazine.co.uk There are a few others on there too. At the moment I'm working out how to upload my website online in another format to the one I'm used to - so its taking a little time. The website is written for Imbolc and just needs the correct info to pass on to my hosting company. There are also a few photos I want to upload too just a couple to start it off of the 50000 odd photos I've taken over the years. I will add some recipe's here too if I may - since we used to run an incense and oils business too called Blencathra Herbs when we ran the paper magazine of the same name from Beltane 1989 through to Imbolc1998. foxman

#2 anjeaunot

anjeaunot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:26 AM

POPULAR

I see you were initiated on the 30th April. Yep! That is consistent with the practice of many Trad families. Some have only several dates in the year when initiation is possible.

There are only two rites in your coven tradition. Yep! Some Trad families do this also - (including my own).

The first rite makes a witch, and the second empowers the witch to lead covens and carry on the tradition.

Please bear in mind that some Trad families confer only one initiation to make the family member a witch.

One can recognise some similarities in Trad families as well as differences.

To the best of my knowledge, few Trad families used Witch Names. Still, Trad witches have always suited themselves, done their own thing, and to hell with anybody else!

BTW. None of the English Trad families with whom I am acquainted use Celtic names for the seasons. I was somewhat puzzled because you do.

It is also my understanding that members of Trad families are greatly honoured to have a lineage. They cherish it and intend to pass it on to a suitable family member.

I must stress one important factor. None of the Trad witches personally known to me would ever imagine themselves to be better, in any sense whatsoever, than the witch who has come to the Path by his or her own efforts.

For my money, the self-made witch is the equal of the born witch. (Their gifts are often superior).

Let's face it. A witch, is a witch, is a witch!

There is no need for covens or initiations IMO.

Nobody is right and nobody is wrong in the Trad Craft. Each Trad witch creates his or her own path by trial and effort. And that is the true path for the individual!

I now come to the crux of my post, Foxman.

The Trad witches of my acquaintance accept that the Old Knowledge can never die out.

I am curious as to why you appear to see the need to reach people on the internet.

Is it because you don't want your clan knowledge to die out?

#3 aurora

aurora

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:14 PM

Arora, Tana, and some others wanted to know my name - you only needed to ask. I'm Jeremy Crawford and run www.touchwoodmagazine.co.uk There are a few others on there too. At the moment I'm working out how to upload my website online in another format to the one I'm used to - so its taking a little time. The website is written for Imbolc and just needs the correct info to pass on to my hosting company. There are also a few photos I want to upload too just a couple to start it off of the 50000 odd photos I've taken over the years. I will add some recipe's here too if I may - since we used to run an incense and oils business too called Blencathra Herbs when we ran the paper magazine of the same name from Beltane 1989 through to Imbolc1998. foxman

I did ask you indeed as it was a while back but it was on pm so im confused .

#4 aurora

aurora

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:21 PM

I think AJ has written better then i could have and I found myself nodding in agreement. So all in all I find some of what fox say to be interesting but find no banter to be off putting and a bit pompous. Sorry fox I have tried to tell you but you obviously like a platform so have it

#5 Roanna

Roanna

She of the spiders and degus...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:28 AM

I must stress one important factor. None of the Trad witches personally known to me would ever imagine themselves to be better, in any sense whatsoever, than the witch who has come to the Path by his or her own efforts.

For my money, the self-made witch is the equal of the born witch. (Their gifts are often superior).

Let's face it. A witch, is a witch, is a witch!

There is no need for covens or initiations IMO.

Nobody is right and nobody is wrong in the Trad Craft. Each Trad witch creates his or her own path by trial and effort. And that is the true path for the individual!

I echo this completely. Voted up. 

Do what you believe to be the right thing and trust yourself.

Witchpathforward My website incorporating "Ask a Witch a Question," my blog and websites of witchy interest.

#6 foxman

foxman

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:51 PM

anjeaunot was confused why we use Celtic Names as most do not. It's a pefrsonal preference of mine. Since I am just one of a few scions of our 'tradition' I have to do the best I can with what has been passed down to me, and interpret it as I see fit in my own way. I must point out that I am not perfect and that I make mistakes. If I seem pompous it is only because I don't have a 'Media Manager' to correct me. What You see Is What You Get - mistakes and all! I have been shouted down by Wiccans as a fake. I have been pointed at, spat at, cursed (by Alex Sanders), and had the Newspaper Reporters from the News of the World at my door - sent by kindly Wiccan Witch-Queeens living in Swords, Ireland who called my a black magician - Ha! Yes, I knew a progressive Luciferian in Manchester - so what? I am not a Luciferian but know an awful lot about it through reading, studying and meeting people like Michael Howard and Andrew Chumbley (before his untimely death) suffering from the same illness that I do (Asthma). My Mother's family (from whom I received my Tradition) were Welsh (or Brythonic Celtoi), My Father's family originated in Scotland, via my Grand-Father and his Wife, my Grand-Mother (who were Goidelic Celtoi) from the Highlands of Ross-shire, Scotland - and you can't get much higher than that without falling into the Sea ;) !

I quite agree with Deguwitchrose the self-made witch is the equal of the born witch and their gifts are superior. I was dedicated by my Mother before the Goddess, before I was churched! I was churched because my Mother was got at by a persistant little prick of an (Exclusive Brethren) Christian who blamed Her paganity (she did a lot of Her healing work via Herblore) for my Eldest brother's death in Belguium during the last World War and by almost forcing her to become a Christian (whilst my father was working away) as a Driver/Conductor on the Ribble Buses working long-distance to get better wages. I did actually see my Father get a hold of this man and throw him through our front door with the promise of breaking his neck if he showed his face again. That's when I thought after their death's so close to one another, whether there was a link from this nasty Christian man, and the ill-luck we received the problems we did. By the time I was of an age to weild magic - most if not all of the people associating from this 'Church' would be dead. So they were best forgotten and move on.

My wife (and Elder Mother), writes books. You will see Her on Kindle under Amazone whether Stateside or the UK as Lucy Crawford. Unfortunately, there are a lot of Lucy Crawford's - butr the Books She has written are: "Albion'S King" a mammoth 500 plus paged novel based around Stonehenge. "Pagan!" A book which originally was our Introductory Pagan Correspondence Course (and which all outsiders had to do) before they were even considered for membership/initiation into our Clan/coven/cuveen whatever. The photo on the Title page came from my Camera when we were in Orkney in 2012 and was a part of Steness Stone Circle. "Dancing With The Moon" (the photo on the front of that, is also by yours truly - of a Faerie-adoped waterfall in Northumberland) was about Guidance to Spiritual Self-Development. The Creative Visualisation feature, in exercise 9,  "The Land Beneath The Waves" brings the personification of Manannan within that Meditation to anyone wanting to Visualise how it was when the Tuathe de Danaan (Children of Dana), landed and sailed up the River Shannon the County Clare (before it was named that) to the area around Drumshanbo, and the Hill of Sidhe Begh still stands as it did when Gobniu set up camp on the Iron Mountains as the Smith of the De Danaan. Lucy is also writing a Book about fairy Children tioo. There was a book she wrote when we had the paper magazine, Touchwood, in 1989 onwards called "Shamanka" (about a Female Shaman), and that may see the light of Kindle including her ongoing story about the "Daughter Of Isis" too. I am nothing if a steady pagan pjutting my case in as many places as I can to make people think. foxman

#7 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:55 PM

For those of you playing along at home . . . The Mods are not going to demand to know your name or ask you to publicly out yourself on the Forum.  Of course, if you choose to do that . . . fine, but you won't be called out.  The private messages in question were likely in response to inconsistencies in the OPs claims of lineage and in reference to confusing aspects within certain practices associated with the same.

J

#8 LynnBay

LynnBay

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:40 PM

For those of you playing along at home . . . The Mods are not going to demand to know your name or ask you to publicly out yourself on the Forum.  Of course, if you choose to do that . . . fine, but you won't be called out.  The private messages in question were likely in response to inconsistencies in the OPs claims of lineage and in reference to confusing aspects within certain practices associated with the same.

J

Thanks Jevne, I was a bit confused reading this post today but I think I understand now. 

~Lynn by the Bay 

A Witch's Work is Never Done. 

#9 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,826 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:22 PM

Foxman,

I will venture to speak a little for Tana who has been under the weather and not on here much ... if she asked you who you are, it wasn't to get your name or your website. The Moderating Team has access to your full profile that includes the aforementioned items.

What's your game? I have spent the last little while re-reading your lengthy, rambling and sometimes-venturing-off-topic posts. My impression from those is that your game is self-aggrandizement. You're very good at mentioning your lineage and dropping names. You're not the only lineaged witch on this forum but you are the only one to tell us what it is - in great detail on more than one thread. Frankly, we don't give a damn who you are descended from, married to, or who you know. Thus far, I've seen few-to-no constructive answers on any thread. It seems to be mostly braggadocio.

Here we care what you know. Kindly confine your replies to the topic at hand. According to your profile you own two fora. You can do your bragging over there.

MW

PS I do not have a "Media Manager" to correct my mistakes, either.

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#10 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:08 PM

Speaking for myself only, it is a little uncomfortable to come across strangers that like to over share, especially in a community where secrecy and silence is valued. Those that over share in the current society are generally thought to be immature, egotistical or unstable, all things that people tend to shy away from.  There is a general rule to society that you need to build a relationship with people before you dump your whole life in their lap.  We don't know you. I read what you have written and think "Ok, ....and?"  It doesn't increase my practical craft knowledge and because I don't know you it feels like I just wasted 10 minutes trying to decipher meaning from the post. 

#11 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:13 PM

As for names, there are only a handful of people on here that know my name, but these people also have access to my pictures, my home address, and the nuances of my life because we have built trust and become friends.  This trust after years of talking with and getting to know these people. Some on here that I have spoken with for years, I don't even know their name and some want to keep it that way.  That's fine by me.  These people know the value of information and I respect that. 

#12 aurora

aurora

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:26 PM

Yep

#13 Roanna

Roanna

She of the spiders and degus...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:55 PM

Phrasing posts so they share knowledge is constructive but sharing in a way that implies the poster has a greater knowledge and is imparting wisdom as a teacher rather than a peer can come across as rather condescending. 

Do what you believe to be the right thing and trust yourself.

Witchpathforward My website incorporating "Ask a Witch a Question," my blog and websites of witchy interest.

#14 ArcticWitch

ArcticWitch

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 07:12 PM

Phrasing posts so they share knowledge is constructive but sharing in a way that implies the poster has a greater knowledge and is imparting wisdom as a teacher rather than a peer can come across as rather condescending. 

Voted up.  Beautifully said.

#15 foxman

foxman

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:51 PM

Hmm. You are all probably right. :) I have no one to tell me I'm wrong doing it this way or that, except Lucy. So I think I'll shut up and say 'owt! I might put up a recipe or two, but will 'i' be considered to be self-engrandisising myself again in doing so? It seems that you all have a grudge against a man being a witch; if that is the case, perhaps I am better off leaving the group if all I seem to do is get your backs up every time 'i' open my mouth on here? (That does not imply that I will leave the group - I do like it here - since I've learned a few things already!) Please forgive me if I gave you the impression that i, a mere man, tried to be equal to you (and that is not sarcasm - I am aware of Germaine Greer's views and those who follow her). I thought that all traditional witches were equal under the Sun. foxman

#16 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:59 PM

Hmm. You are all probably right. :smile: I have no one to tell me I'm wrong doing it this way or that, except Lucy. So I think I'll shut up and say 'owt! I might put up a recipe or two, but will 'i' be considered to be self-engrandisising myself again in doing so? It seems that you all have a grudge against a man being a witch; if that is the case, perhaps I am better off leaving the group if all I seem to do is get your backs up every time 'i' open my mouth on here? (That does not imply that I will leave the group - I do like it here - since I've learned a few things already!) Please forgive me if I gave you the impression that i, a mere man, tried to be equal to you (and that is not sarcasm - I am aware of Germaine Greer's views and those who follow her). I thought that all traditional witches were equal under the Sun. foxman

No one is discriminating against you for a being a male witch or saying you are unequal to us.  What we are saying is that it is awkward that you share so much personal info in a grandiose way and do not know who we are nor us you.  Why not get to know us first?  I would think someone of your life experience should know how to make friends? Honestly, I would have expected something like this to be spoken by a teenager. 

#17 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:26 PM

More drama . . . More name dropping . . . Who the fuck is Germaine Greer?  Someone who hates men?  Wait, I don't really give a shit. 

Seriously . . . Whether you are a man, woman, or one of the flying monkeys from OZ . . . makes no difference to me.  Many of my closest, male friends are Witches.

I grow tired of this silly melodrama.  Someone please bump up some actual Craft related subjects, so we can return to our usual interaction.

#18 aurora

aurora

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:44 PM

Giggling ..........I think she's a feminist. Big girl well actually old woman now. I agree Jevne.

#19 foxman

foxman

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:14 PM

You are right of course, Whiterose. I was merely showing trust. What is a grandiose way? In relation to giving information? How does One conduct themselves in a group such as this - without commerce and exchange of thoughts? Are you saying I am not seventy-two? :) Oh! I wish i wasn't! I would love to lose the arthritis and the Cataracts together with the C.O.P.D.foxman

#20 foxman

foxman

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:18 PM

Easy there Jeyne! - You really don't want a heart attack, do you? :)  lol! Oh well back to work on my website...foxman