This made me giggle  :tongue:

RSKHFMY

#62 travsha

travsha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 10:11 PM

It sounds very interesting, do you know know of any place where I could read more about the legend or was it from word of mouth?

Heard it from word of mouth.  Both plants are a bit mysterious, but salvia especially is to me - no other plants seem to be very similar, and no botonists so far can tell what type of plants it could have come from.  Very mysterious.  Also, the Mazatec indians who first cultivated and used salvia do not have any origin story associated with the plant (very uncommon for visionary plants).  They could be hiding something, or it could be forgotten, or maybe no one knows......

#63 Enodia

Enodia

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 02:42 AM

This may be a too late post but the Brooklyn Botanic Garden at bbg.org is really helpful with plant identification. I've contacted them several times and they have always been quick to answer and at no charge.

They did all the identifications off pictures.

Edited by Enodia, 06 May 2014 - 02:43 AM.

"it is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot

#64 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:49 AM

I've used Skullcap for years, mostly in the form of teas and tinctures. However, it's not enough on its own to help me "relax" and/or sleep.  I usually mix my own herbal teas from dried herbs and brew them in a tall mesh container (something I cannot live without!). I rotate between mixes including chamomile, lavender, hops, lemon balm, blue vervain, passionflower, damiana, mugwort, kava-kava, valerian root, catnip, wild lettuce, linden, and usually peppermint and/or spearmint (not to mention lots of honey) to help offset the taste of several of the ones I use that I don't find particularly "tasty". I've used wormwood as well a couple of times. It depends on the specific ailments as to how I combine them (i.e. pain relief, a mind that just won't shut off, etc.). So sometimes I'll combine a few of the milder ones- at least mild for my body's chemistry-with a couple of the stronger ones depending on what I'm trying to help treat.

I don't use the mugwort, kava-kava, damiana, wormwood, or wild lettuce daily. I have tried to smoke mugwort bc it seemed like a quicker way to achieve its intended purpose (dreaming, enhancing my meditations, divining, etc.) but it just didn't work for me. At all. It does work as a tea though for me, go figure. I've even tried experimenting with smoking a couple of the others, like damiana- and still nothing. I was very surprised bc I can't even smoke a hit or two of MJ w/o problems (as in it really fucks me up and I've regretted it every time I've smoked it -which is maybe six times in my entire life ). It's the only one where I will always say, "No thanks, I'll pass" regardless of how much pain I might in or how long I've gone w/o sleep. I've been an insomniac since I was a child, hence my vast list of herbs to choose from that can all help with my overactive brain that prevents me from being able to sleep. Melatonin used to help somewhat decently, about 15 years ago. So maybe I've done it "wrong" the couple of times I've tried to smoke the mugwort and damiana. 

I see you're getting your degree in art of the obvious~myself
Without music life would be a mistake~ Friedrich Nietzsche
Immorality: The morality of those who are having a better time~ H.L. Mencken
When nature has work to be done, she creates a genius to do it~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
We cannot teach people anything; we can only help them discover it within themselves~ Galileo

#65 Broomflower

Broomflower

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 05:19 AM

melusine, it looks like the upper and lower pictures you posted could be similar plants, that are actually different.  The lower ones look like they might be all-heal.  I use all-heal in a salve with plantain and ground ivy for cuts, bruises, burns, bites and boo-boos.  It is related to mint: the square-ish stem is a giveaway for that.

I have smoked skullcap alone and in combination for hedge-riding and dreams, as well as taken it in tea and tincture form, both medicinally and magically.  I got mine at a popular local health food store that moved herbs pretty quick, so I knew it was fresh.  If an herb has good, bright color and a strong fragrance, it's probably still potent.

I have tried salvia, and really wasn't that impressed.  It didn't do much for me, but then I've been told that sometimes happens the first try with the stuff.  I'd be willing to try it again, but at present I am a full-time caretaker, and so have other priorities that are way more important.

I am rather partial to using mugwort quite often in incense, oils, and teas, and I have smoked it too.  I like using mugwort because it is so common and grows practically everywhere, and so I can wildcraft easily without worrying about hunting down and maintaining a supply.  (Although please, please don't plant mugwort!  It is an invasive species and can be quite destructive to natural habitats - not to mention lawns and gardens!)  Mugwort may be useful for encouraging second sight, but it is also a wonderful muscle relaxer.  If you've had a strenuous day and are anticipating pain, grab some mugwort, motherwort and yarrow from the roadside on your walk home and brew it into a potion for a nice hot bath, maybe with a little comfrey too.  It feels positively wonderful when you feel like you've taken a beating! 

I have also had great results from kava-kava, either taken as a tincture or in a blended tea.

Edited by Broomflower, 26 July 2014 - 05:20 AM.

Eat your lawn.

#66 Stacey

Stacey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 04:11 AM

I've been considering smoking scullcap (or passionflower) because I have a hell of a time trying to quiet my mind enough to meditate or enter a trance state. I have issues with shutting my mind down, it's very hard to quiet hence the lack of successful trance work or meditation. 

"The mind is not a book, to be opened at will and examined at leisure. Thoughts are not etched on the inside of skulls, to be perused by an invader. The mind is a complex and many-layered thing." Severus Snape - HP and the Order of the Phoenix

#67 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 04:22 PM

The local herb shop I used to go to in Gainesville, FL has smoking blends already made.  White Otter (that's the herbalist that owns the shoppe with her husband), is amazing with herbs.  She's got blends for all kinds of things including this. 

I don't know enough about the stronger herbs to create my own.

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.