• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#41 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 04:47 PM

Most times, the herbs sold in metaphysical stores have been there for a long time and are close to the end of their shelf life.  Garden fresh is always better and more potent. 

#42 ArcticWitch

ArcticWitch

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 05:00 PM

Most times, the herbs sold in metaphysical stores have been there for a long time and are close to the end of their shelf life.  Garden fresh is always better and more potent. 

I suspected that was the case.  Bummer.  But, on the bright side, as strong of anesthetic powers as the wormwood had that had been hanging on the wall for who-knows-how-long was, I'm looking forward to trying out the "home grown" variety from my own garden later this year!

#43 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 05:08 PM

I suspected that was the case.  Bummer.  But, on the bright side, as strong of anesthetic powers as the wormwood had that had been hanging on the wall for who-knows-how-long was, I'm looking forward to trying out the "home grown" variety from my own garden later this year!

Yeah different growing conditions even in the same garden can also affect the potency of different herbs.  It might be something for you to looking in to. :)

#44 travsha

travsha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 05:22 PM

I use salvia for divination often - never smoking though.  I either chew the leaves, make a liquid extract/tincture, or just read leaves.  Works very well.  Read somewhere else someone saying to avoid salvia, and I want to say that SMOKING salvia is nothing like CHEWING salvia, but this plant is excellent for divination (it is called "diviners sage" for a reason).  I also know a process to connect with the plants spirit that doesn not involve getting high in any way, but is useful for divination or lucid dreaming (requires a restricted diet or fast in most cases, unless you are really sensitive).  

#45 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 07:21 PM

I got my dried skullcap from the local herb store that also has metaphysical stuff but the owner is an herbalist.

Kiva Rose has some good articles on different nervines that could be helpful:

http://bearmedicineh...ferentials.html

http://bearmedicineh...ting-herbs.html

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#46 melusine

melusine

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 04:03 AM

Thanks Aurelian and Mountain Witch and everyone else for the additional information! Much appreciated.

I've found a few images online that look exactly what is growing in my yard but most of the images look different.  Perhaps its because what is in my yard is in earlier stages of growth.  I'd really like to know.  I believe this is something that would be of great benefit to my fiance to help him relax and sleep... a good alternative to over the counter and prescription drugs.

Here are a few not so great quality pics i took with my phone today:

10003942_10152339036209084_1016304630_n.

1486582_10152339036259084_1260141141_n.j

10173782_10152339036349084_2073477785_n.

And here are two images i've found that look like what i have growing here:

http://www.holisticw...om/Skullcap.htm

http://www.klru.org/...achment_id=2698

#47 melusine

melusine

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 04:51 AM

I came across this on erowid for anyone who is interested:

http://www.erowid.or...xp.php?ID=35241

#48 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:58 AM

Oh, I wouldn't dare to try to help you with plant identification, I'd likely kill you in the process!  I'm no good at that!  LOL

If you feel you've positively identified it and it grows in your area with the criterion recommended I would hope that would be safe enough?

That's quite an interesting entry on erowid.  I have terrible insomnia perhaps I should try rolling up a J of skullcap?  Haha!  Anything is worth a try I suppose, at least once or twice  :vhappywitch:

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#49 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,825 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:32 AM

melusine,

Although I'm normally horrible at plant identification, this one I know and it's not Skullcap. It's what's known as Purple Dead Nettle. http://en.wikipedia....amium_purpureum

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#50 melusine

melusine

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 01:29 PM

melusine,

Although I'm normally horrible at plant identification, this one I know and it's not Skullcap. It's what's known as Purple Dead Nettle. http://en.wikipedia....amium_purpureum

Thank you! That's awesome! 

The plant in the first pic looks like tthe Purple Dead Nettle, but the others have more of a cone shape, like little pine trees... Maybe they just haven't sprouted tall enough.  *edit* i did a google image search and my plant is definitely Purple Dead Nettle!  (of course you know that)  :)  THANKS SO MUCH!

I found another plant this morning that looks very similar but is definitely not the same thing.  I'm really liking discovering these and trying to identify them.  The best way to learn, i suppose :smile:

Thanks for the help :smile:

Edited by melusine, 02 April 2014 - 01:33 PM.

#51 Roanna

Roanna

She of the spiders and degus...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 01:42 PM

Oh, I wouldn't dare to try to help you with plant identification, I'd likely kill you in the process!  I'm no good at that!  LOL

Much the same here. I have two classifications of plant - "dandelion" and "not a dandelion" - though occasionally I manage to recognise a stitchwort as well. 

Do what you believe to be the right thing and trust yourself.

Witchpathforward My website incorporating "Ask a Witch a Question," my blog and websites of witchy interest.

#52 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 01:56 PM

Yep, I've got that in my yard as well.  All the neighborhood dogs like to pee on the patch. lol  

#53 JustJest

JustJest

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 01:57 PM

It looks like I was beat to the punch on the ID oh well, I was actually hesitant to post here just because of my use of Entheogens with divination at times. As for the diviners sage isn't it just the extract most smoke? I honestly am not a fan of smoking it considering the chemicals used with most over the counter items. I prefer to cultivate everything that way I know what's going into my body. Lol I have enough problems without needing to add some adverse reaction to a chemical that the plant was treated with.

#54 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 02:54 PM

I wonder if you could email pics of it to your local college agriculture department and get an answer.  They do that where I live sometimes.

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#55 travsha

travsha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 03:34 PM

I thought the first pic looked like nettle, but was thrown by that cone shape in the next pic....  That is different then the nettle by me, and now I am wondering if I could find both here...  Been real into nettle lately - one of my favorite plants!  Very easy to talk to compared to some other plants....

JustJest - ya, most people smoke the extract for some reason....  I think it is the novelty, but the plain plant is already so powerful, I dont see the point (actually seems to take the value out of the experience for me - just overkill).  Most companies use a natural process to do the extraction, but still, it just isnt necessary, and really makes working with the plant harder.  

#56 JustJest

JustJest

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 06:35 PM

True some companies do and I agree the plant itself is strong enough. I just have my reservations because I think some companies just opt for the cheaper faster way to extract it.

#57 travsha

travsha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 07:56 PM

I bet some of them do.  I stick to plain leaf myself - I think nature got it right the first time (although this plant exists nowhere in nature, which is odd - and mysterious!).  Actually, I know of two visionary plants that do not exist in nature, and have mysterious origins like this: salvia and brugmansia.  Both only exist where they are cultivated - usually in some shaman or witches garden....  I heard one time that brugmansia was given to a select few from the spirit world before those people made cuttings for friends, but who knows......  Fun tale though...

#58 JustJest

JustJest

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:12 PM

It sounds very interesting, do you know know of any place where I could read more about the legend or was it from word of mouth?

EDIT: Excuse me for getting slightly off topic. I do believe though that if given the right mindset certain entheogens can be used for Divination. Well from my perspective that is, I see the images or situations depending on what is used and interpret accordingly. I do have trouble at times when my mind seems to be clouded which I have a recipe for a specific tea that was passed onto me from my grandmother that seems to help sooth it now.

Edited by JustJest, 03 April 2014 - 01:47 AM.

#59 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 02:37 PM

I've never tried skullcap for this, but recently I have used mixtures of mugwort, wormwood, coltsfoot, and star anise. The star anise gives it a thick, sweet flavor, the coltsfoot makes it denser and easier to deal with later, and the mugwort and wormwood help me see. I've been curious about using skullcap for a while though, I might try this soon.

RSKHFMY

#60 ArcticWitch

ArcticWitch

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 05:50 PM

. It's what's known as Purple Dead Nettle. 

I need more coffee.  I read that as "Purple Death Metal".   :witchnana: