66 replies to this topic

#1 heathenheart

heathenheart

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 01:14 AM

So recently I've gotten into smoking various herbs, mostly for relaxation purposes.  I was sitting at my computer playing Words with Friends and smoking scullcap when someone sent me a message on one of the FB pages that I admin.  I got my crystal ball (it's a quartz egg, actually), and after a few more puffs and a couple of gazes, was able to give her names of people that she just met that I didn't and couldn't possibly know, and I was able to tell her which ones would help her on her path, and which ones not even to say the word "Witch" in front of.  It was pretty amazing, since I'm not usually that accurate on command.

I'm still researching, but I thought I'd describe the experience here and see if anyone else has experience with scullcap (also called Mad Dog Weed) or other smokeables.  Anyone?

:oil-bottle: Heathen @ Heart :oil-bottle:

#2 aurora

aurora

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 01:17 AM

Nope sorry

#3 LdyShalott

LdyShalott

NecRomancer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 01:22 AM

Interesting experience, I use skullcap in a tincture along with hypericum, motherwort ,comfrey and a few others for the relief of headaches. I have also used it as a tea for relaxation and stress relief and recovery. Magically speaking, perhaps you should look further into hoodoo practices for the answers and experience you have described.. I dont feel comfortable sharing more on a public thread.. 

Most witches don’t believe in gods. They know that the gods exist, of course. They even deal with them occasionally. But they don’t believe in them. They know them too well. It would be like believing in the postman.  T.P.

In order to understand the living.. you have to commune with the dead..
You are a tiny little soul carrying around a corpse.-- Epictetus
All experience is an arch wherethrough gleams that untravelled world whose margin fades for ever and for ever when I move.

#4 heathenheart

heathenheart

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 01:28 AM

Interesting experience, I use skullcap in a tincture along with hypericum, motherwort ,comfrey and a few others for the relief of headaches. I have also used it as a tea for relaxation and stress relief and recovery. Magically speaking, perhaps you should look further into hoodoo practices for the answers and experience you have described.. I dont feel comfortable sharing more on a public thread.. 

That's too bad, I'm interested in what you might have to say.  Feel free to PM me any time. :smile:

I've never used it as a tea, though I knew you could.  I stumbled into a head shop that just openen in my town one day and was intrigued by all the "spiritual smoke" stuff, so I thought I'd try it.  It's been quite pleasant thus far. :smile:

Edited by heathenheart, 21 January 2014 - 01:36 AM.

#5 ArcticWitch

ArcticWitch

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:52 AM

I purchased a packet of loose-leaf Scullcap from my local metaphysical bookstore a back.  It was rather disappointing that the strong tea I brewed with it offered neither magical inspiration nor medicinal benefit.  However, I'm not giving up on the herb- especially after what you've shared- and intend to plant it in my garden this upcoming summer.

My current non-culinary herb collection is still rather small, but so far the only divination experience has come from Wormwood.  I smoked a small amount (about half a teaspoon) last week and almost instantly had a clairvoyant connection with a friend several thousands of miles away.  The Wormwood's effects didn't last very long- about twenty minutes- but it was moderately powerful.  It's another plant I will be cultivating on my property this year.

#6 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:26 AM

I can't answer your question, as I've not tried it, but be VERY careful what you pick up from head shops.  Make sure it's just HERBS!

The various 'incenses' and whatnot are often filled with synthetic drugs, full-agonist cannabinoids(you can actually overdose), and who all knows what else.  Nobody really knows, because they switch the formulations all the time, and, as they aren't regulated drugs, the manufacturers often say they contain one thing and put in something entirely different.

They used to sell 'bath salts' in head shops, before they were made illegal, if that gives you any idea.\

I'd also avoid 'salvia,' unless you want to get blasted off to the moon.  Some people, oddly, enjoy it, but most don't.

Your best bet is to research entheogens and what has been used around the world to aid divination, and buy the WHOLE HERB and make blends yourself.  Honestly, all you're doing is paying a huge markup and putting your health at risk by buying the different 'spiritual blends' and whatnot.

Not to make you afraid or turn you off of such things, as they have a long history of such use, it's just better to be informed!

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#7 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 01:13 PM

Good advice Aurelian....

M

#8 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:17 PM

I get my herbs from herb stores - not headshoppes.  The local herbal store near me is an herbal store but also has metaphysical stuff.  The distinction is important as all the herbs there are organic 'chemical free'.

I find skullcap best used in tincture form.  I actually prefer the flower tincture to the whole plant tincture.

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#9 heathenheart

heathenheart

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:27 PM

I can't answer your question, as I've not tried it, but be VERY careful what you pick up from head shops.  Make sure it's just HERBS!

The various 'incenses' and whatnot are often filled with synthetic drugs, full-agonist cannabinoids(you can actually overdose), and who all knows what else.  Nobody really knows, because they switch the formulations all the time, and, as they aren't regulated drugs, the manufacturers often say they contain one thing and put in something entirely different.

They used to sell 'bath salts' in head shops, before they were made illegal, if that gives you any idea.\

I'd also avoid 'salvia,' unless you want to get blasted off to the moon.  Some people, oddly, enjoy it, but most don't.

Your best bet is to research entheogens and what has been used around the world to aid divination, and buy the WHOLE HERB and make blends yourself.  Honestly, all you're doing is paying a huge markup and putting your health at risk by buying the different 'spiritual blends' and whatnot.

Not to make you afraid or turn you off of such things, as they have a long history of such use, it's just better to be informed!

I can't say that I didn't wonder if perhaps there's more in those packages than they let on...  The plain scullcap one appears to be just that.  I have already been warned away from salvia.  Now that I'm actually really into this, I'll be getting what herbs I can from the local co-op in stead of the head shop.  I'm still trying to get my hands on some mullein for its therapeutic benefits.

#10 LdyShalott

LdyShalott

NecRomancer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 05:30 PM

Where do you live heathenheart.. mullein grows like made all over the place here..  roadsides etc..

Most witches don’t believe in gods. They know that the gods exist, of course. They even deal with them occasionally. But they don’t believe in them. They know them too well. It would be like believing in the postman.  T.P.

All experience is an arch wherethrough gleams that untravelled world whose margin fades for ever and for ever when I move.

#11 RavenFlyer

RavenFlyer

Backwoods Witch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 05:59 PM

In regards to Salvia Divinorum I have only used it a few times, and find that I prefer it to other plants. But thats a whole other topic, and it would be in the private section. What I will say is if you ever use Salvia Divinorum you need to be prepared, and have a lot of protections set up. Also a babysitter for your first few times is a very good idea, if not every time you use it. 

I do like wormwood absinthium and mugwort tea for good traveling dreams. 

My ETSY store:

Appalachian Witchery http://www.etsy.com/...lachianWitchery

#12 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 06:20 PM

I like to smoke wormwood, and I happen to have some from a certain Appalachian Witch's garden.  :biggrin2:

"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore

#13 Chloe

Chloe

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 06:33 PM

Salvia is the new fad drug around here. I can go down to the local convenience store and pick salvia up. They're selling it as "legal pot". Probably every teen and pot head in this town has tried it. It's actually one of the only herbal entheogens I've heard about outside of a source not dealing with herbs or the craft in some way. Not really something that's very hush hush if I can go and buy it with a pack of cigs like it's no big deal. Although my SO & his brother both said it was the worst experience they've ever had with a drug, so I'm not really interested in it at all. I won't be surprised if it ends up illegal though if idiots keep selling it to kids like candy.

#14 RavenFlyer

RavenFlyer

Backwoods Witch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 06:48 PM

Salvia is illegal to smoke in a lot of states. Be mindful of your state laws as you don't want a criminal record lol.

Aloe...you're very welcome :) ;)

My ETSY store:

Appalachian Witchery http://www.etsy.com/...lachianWitchery

#15 LdyShalott

LdyShalott

NecRomancer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 07:48 PM

Heed Ravenflyers advice on using Salvia for the first few times. I have used it in the past and had a successful experience. But I prefer a combination of mugwort, wormwood, nightshade and few other little bits for my travels..

#16 Wexler

Wexler

Something wrong? Blame retrograde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:50 PM

Does anyone find a difference between artemisia absinthium and artemisia vulgaris for these types of activities (or in general)? Everyone around here tells me they are the same and interchangeable, but I'm not so sure.

'Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.'

'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.'

[avatar source]

#17 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,826 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:02 PM

Artemisia absinthium is Wormwood. Artemisia vulgaris is Mugwort. They are interchangeable - to a certain extent but mostly on a magical level. I consider Mugwort to be a gentler version of Wormwood in magic, but do not consider it such in herbal medicine.

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#18 Wexler

Wexler

Something wrong? Blame retrograde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:14 PM

Artemisia absinthium is Wormwood. Artemisia vulgaris is Mugwort. They are interchangeable - to a certain extent but mostly on a magical level. I consider Mugwort to be a gentler version of Wormwood in magic, but do not consider it such in herbal medicine.

Thank you MW :)

'Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.'

'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.'

[avatar source]

#19 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:35 AM

For clarification, it is not the herbs themselves that are illegal, but the chemicals that are sprayed upon them to try to heighten the experience.  Those chemicals, which I am sure have long names, but I didn't ask the Officer Hubby, are dangerous and have resulted in deaths.  Individuals in our area were even caught trying to supplement their supply with household cleaners and passing the substance onto adolescents, all desperate to prove how big they are by "smoking". 

Always best to go to a known, reputable source or just grow the herbs yourself.

#20 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:27 AM

^^ Jev is right, for the 'herbs' they are often treated, along with whatever herbicides and insecticides are used in their production.  We don't worry about adulterated pot around here(it's legal) but some growers have been known to spray research chems(not been studied in man, thus 'research') like 5f-akb48 in order to increase the potency of their product.  There really isn't a reliable way to dose such things in such a way, and yeah it's nasty and has resulted in multiple deaths.

Be happy if they just spray sugar water on your pot to increase weight!

As for salvia divinorum, it's a deliriant, and not really pleasant to most people.  The plain herb is probably not so bad, it's when people start ingesting mega-concentrated formulations that things get nasty.  You can search 'bad salvia trip' on youtube to get an idea of what it looks like, or read up on erowid for user experiences.  Yeah Jev is right on the high school kids, they think it's cute to abuse DXM, morning glory(which wouldn't be so bad if it's prepared and dosed correctly!), nutmeg, datura, and other herbs and roots with no idea how to safely prepare them, slow titration, or what to do in case things go wrong!

Due to recreational drug use being illegal in most parts of the world, chemists dig through patents for likely-looking recreational substances and sell them without much regard for people's health.  If the natural substances were still legal, we wouldn't have so many of these problems, people taking NBOME's thinking it's acid and overdosing and dying while on a really nasty trip.  This is the legacy of prohibition.  It sucks!  

At any rate...

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy