• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#41 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 09:14 PM

I didn't catch the Samhain comment (but there's been several cases in which I couldn't tell what someone said, no matter how many times I rewound it), who said it?
I see you're getting your degree in art of the obvious~myself
Without music life would be a mistake~ Friedrich Nietzsche
Immorality: The morality of those who are having a better time~ H.L. Mencken
When nature has work to be done, she creates a genius to do it~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
We cannot teach people anything; we can only help them discover it within themselves~ Galileo

#42 Crow59

Crow59

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 10:24 PM

I didn't catch the Samhain comment (but there's been several cases in which I couldn't tell what someone said, no matter how many times I rewound it), who said it?

Mary, in last week's episode when she goes into the woods to see the old ones. Her exact words are, "Hear me, I am still the Samhain of the Essex and I have made my vow clear."

"There are truths on this side of the Pyrenees which are falsehoods on the other" - Blaise Pascal
"But sometimes the intent is to harm." - Me

#43 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 05:29 AM

Mary, in last week's episode when she goes into the woods to see the old ones. Her exact words are, "Hear me, I am still the Samhain of the Essex and I have made my vow clear."

WTF?! That's what she said?! :rofl: I couldn't figure out for the life of me what she was saying (Samhain), even though I'm aware of its correct pronunciation. That was one of the times I rewound it a few times and couldn't understand what word she was using. I knew little John was saying "Widdershins" when referring to ones in the woods who he didn't like, but I had to rewind that a few times as well bc I thought there was no way he was actually saying that.

I do love the show, but you'd really think they'd be a bit more knowledgable regarding the terminology. I realize they're basing their "idea" of witches within a Christian context and old info/texts like from the Malleus Maleficarum, for one, but I don't recall those terms/words ever used within the manner they have used them in the show.

When nature has work to be done, she creates a genius to do it~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
We cannot teach people anything; we can only help them discover it within themselves~ Galileo

#44 bronzewolf

bronzewolf

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 07:39 AM

I have to admit of late they are sounding like a broken record

#45 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 11:43 PM

I disagree Bronzewolf- I think the plot is/does developing quite fine.

#46 Lilikate

Lilikate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 08:47 PM

I have a feeling Anne is going to annoy me as much as Mary did.

And poor Cotton Mather... I liked him :-/

I adore simple pleasures. They are the last refuge of the complex.

-Oscar Wilde

#47 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 01:44 AM

Anne's whole rise to power pisses me off. Go X amount of years without knowing your a witch with superhuman powers, then BAM, you're a magical hurricane? Also, pacifist to evil feminist? Whatever, I call bullshit writing on that one. It's like they did good with season 1, were surprised about it, and rushed to write season 2.

I am glad that little prick child is now the devil though. That's cool. Tear up Salem, little man.

RSKHFMY

#48 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 01:46 AM

Also, I hate this show for the same reason I hate Charmed. Not the bad history, myths, jargon, etc - but the "temporary powers". They have/use a power or spell in episode one, and it works awesomely. But next fight comes along and oh god, what do we do? If they USED the fucking power again, they would be able to win every fight they're ever in. But no, every conflict is a big old puzzle we gotta figure out and some new weird, never before seen power pops out of the woodwork.

Give me one of those powers, any one of them, and watch my ass rule the world with it. Meanwhile, there they are, sucking with all sorts of powers.

Edit - all that said, I mostly like Salem. Definitely still watching. I can't wait to bitch about season 3.

Edited by Ravenshaw, 15 July 2015 - 01:49 AM.

RSKHFMY

#49 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 06:54 AM

Anne's whole rise to power pisses me off. Go X amount of years without knowing your a witch with superhuman powers, then BAM, you're a magical hurricane? Also, pacifist to evil feminist? Whatever, I call bullshit writing on that one. It's like they did good with season 1, were surprised about it, and rushed to write season 2.

I am glad that little prick child is now the devil though. That's cool. Tear up Salem, little man.

I actually kind of like that bc it reminds me a bit of myself, lol :laugh:

#50 Hariasa

Hariasa

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 06:53 PM

Also, I hate this show for the same reason I hate Charmed. Not the bad history, myths, jargon, etc - but the "temporary powers". They have/use a power or spell in episode one, and it works awesomely. But next fight comes along and oh god, what do we do? If they USED the fucking power again, they would be able to win every fight they're ever in. But no, every conflict is a big old puzzle we gotta figure out and some new weird, never before seen power pops out of the woodwork.

Completely agree, as usual the writers have done very little research on magic. A show like this needs good consultants with a good background in the history and magic.
Most viewers want all of the flashy stuff...

#51 Eave

Eave

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 02:15 AM

I like how refreshingly dark salem is, i find that the darker the show gets the more intrigued I am. With that being said though, I absolutely can't stand the terminologies and blatant mix ups, the lack of diversity within the witches and this constant talk about the devil granting them power does my head in. The story at times is extremely annoying also as the plot is very monochromatic at times.

I absolutely LOVE Lucy Lawless and her character representation. Now that is a truly bad ass witch :)

Witches of east end was super entertaining and portrayed (up to a bit) a very positive image of crafters in a semi traditional way without heading off the cheesy cliff. I enjoyed the atmosphere the family had about them.

#52 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 08:37 PM

I like how refreshingly dark salem is, i find that the darker the show gets the more intrigued I am. With that being said though, I absolutely can't stand the terminologies and blatant mix ups, the lack of diversity within the witches and this constant talk about the devil granting them power does my head in. The story at times is extremely annoying also as the plot is very monochromatic at times.

I absolutely LOVE Lucy Lawless and her character representation. Now that is a truly bad ass witch :smile:

Witches of east end was super entertaining and portrayed (up to a bit) a very positive image of crafters in a semi traditional way without heading off the cheesy cliff. I enjoyed the atmosphere the family had about them.

​What do you mean by lack of diversity?
Also, they're dealing w/what Christians believed witchcraft to be (like in the Malleus Maleficarum) back then, not what they actually are.

#53 Eave

Eave

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 03:36 AM

​What do you mean by lack of diversity?
Also, they're dealing w/what Christians believed witchcraft to be (like in the Malleus Maleficarum) back then, not what they actually are.

Everything literally revolves around the grand rite, every bit of magic they use is somehow related to the grand rite (apart from the bits where Mercy attempts revenge, but even then it is because she wants to be the witch in charge of the... grand rite), all the power they possess was granted and is used simply to allow them to complete the grand rite, their bickering is always about something related to the grand rite... They eat their breakfast with a great big heap of grand rite slathered on top, they dress in the grand rite and for the grand rite, they fall asleep to the sounds of the grand rite and I'm starting to suspect they also brush their teeth with the grand rite.... I really cannot stand the philosophic "the witches are granted power" line of thinking the show keeps dishing out, apart from Anne Hale and Sebastian they all had to bargain their way into receiving power...

Apart from The countess and Anne Hale, very very little diversity is introduced in the magic practiced on the show, motivation and the means in which they work magic is pretty much identical between the witches... I applauded the shift in plot construction with the introduction of the Countess storyline.

Edited by Eave, 24 July 2015 - 04:29 AM.

#54 bronzewolf

bronzewolf

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 03:10 PM

so at episode 13 is that it? The end?

#55 RavenFlyer

RavenFlyer

Backwoods Witch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 05:53 PM

Bronzewolf... There will be a season 3
My ETSY store:

Appalachian Witchery http://www.etsy.com/...lachianWitchery

#56 OCEANOS

OCEANOS

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 11:47 AM

Season 3 would be interesting!

"Some People Have A Gift For Stupidity, An Almost Mystic Ability To Withstand Any Form Of Logic"

output_dLSIE3.gif

#57 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 08:27 AM

Season 3 would be interesting!

It's already been confirmed that the WGN picked it up for another season.

#58 Kallisto

Kallisto

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 06:23 PM

They actually film the show in my city, so I felt obligated to watch it (plus it was about witchy things). I got into the first season on Netflix. We don't have cable, so I haven't caught any of the newer episodes. It's not bad.

#59 NamedForTheMoon

NamedForTheMoon

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 10:15 PM

I watch it. I thought it was a bit cheesey, but I continued to watch it because I try to give a show at least 3 episodes before deciding if I really like it or not. A lot of stuff happened that I really wasn't expecting in Season 2, so I'm looking to see how they will make a run of it with Season 3.

#60 Leighqt

Leighqt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 05:44 PM

Love this show