Witches of Pennsylvania

brea

By Thomas White. It's a compilation of stories covering Witchcraft, Powwowing, Hexerei etc. It goes into some detail about the differences. 

One of the methods for becoming a Witch in the Pennsylvania German Tradition was to boil a black cat or a toad alive. (personally I don't buy the black cat bit. I think it was an add on.) You then had to gather the bones and toss them in a creek. One bone would float against the current. This bone would serve as the Witch's source of power. 

One way of keeping a Witch from entering a space was to put a hexafoos over the doorways. A five pointed star with either a toad's foot or goosefoot within it.Do ou think they have this backwards? :)

Brea

By Thomas White. It's a compilation of stories covering Witchcraft, Powwowing, Hexerei etc. It goes into some detail about the differences. 

One of the methods for becoming a Witch in the Pennsylvania German Tradition was to boil a black cat or a toad alive. (personally I don't buy the black cat bit. I think it was an add on.) You then had to gather the bones and toss them in a creek. One bone would float against the current. This bone would serve as the Witch's source of power. 

One way of keeping a Witch from entering a space was to put a hexafoos over the doorways. A five pointed star with either a toad's foot or goosefoot within it.Do ou think they have this backwards? :smile:

Brea

Regardless of whether they have it wrong or not, that has to be the best word ever thought up. A "hexafoos" I've never come across this before but I certainly intend to use it more in conversation. Do you have any more information about what it is is and the purpose behind it?

Thank you for providing this information, Brea.  I read through the preview and found several intriguing references, including the role of the Quakers and the differences between the "hex doctors" and Witches.  Apparently, the distinction being that one practiced out of concern for the community; whereas the other acted primarily out of self-interest.  The old good versus evil debate.  Plus, I have ancestors from Pennsylvania, and the book is not too expensive.  I think I just might purchase a copy.  Thanks.

Archived