Top 10 Irish Spells/Charms

Radha

Mmm, I could use some extra money.  Tomorrow, I shall find myself a black cock.

I don't know I've used a black cock before and all I got was a sore ass. But instead of sayig of god harder I guess I should have chanted a goddess's name.

;)

Sheeeeeesh!! It's a black feather from a cock not a mans dingaling! :tongue:

Well fuck why didn't someone clarify this sooner, coulda raided the neighbors chicken coop instead of... what I did. 

Sheeeeeesh!! It's a black feather from a cock not a mans dingaling! :tongue:

Nooooo?  Really?  Silly me. ;)

(I think that is the first time I have ever seen a man's penis referred to as a dingaling, though.  Kudos!)

Well fuck why didn't someone clarify this sooner, coulda raided the neighbors chicken coop instead of... what I did. 

ROFLMAO ! :roflhard: :lolol:

Nooooo?  Really?  Silly me. :wink:

(I think that is the first time I have ever seen a man's penis referred to as a dingaling, though.  Kudos!)

Yeah really! LOL fanks lotz.

I have to wonder who decided these were the "top ten." I like to imagine it involved a dark, smokey room full of cloaked elders solemnly debating the pros and cons of the ancient Irish spell to get someone to call you on your telephone.

Aww I was getting excited about the money spell, but if it only wants a feather then I'm out ;)

I laughed at the start of the beauty spell "on a full moon, take a mirror and go outside..." and imagined it carrying on with "then look in the mirror - everyone looks better in dim lighting!" hehe!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I posted this as I thought it was more fun than useful. Oh well. Sometimes the Irish just don't take themselves serious enough! And I'm Irish so yeah. :p

It is a pity Irish Central made Witchcraft an object of derision. The woman in the mirror was the best thing in it.

My Irish kin were witches and would have laughed at this nonsense.

I don't know I've used a black cock before and all I got was a sore ass. But instead of sayig of god harder I guess I should have chanted a goddess's name.

:wink:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!  As Granny use to say, "grease is good for what ails ya.." remember that next time RF.. 

I am curious about how they claim these are ancient, including the one about getting someone to call you or the elixir of potency with ingredients that don't grow in Ireland. As an Irish person, who has never lived anywhere but Ireland and is an avid explorer of our Folk History, I have never heard of any of these or hell even that website, which seems to just be some attempt at claiming to be Irish to appeal to those who want to be Irish. 

Questioning and clarification from someone who actually knows about Irish folklore is appreciated, though I think most of us came to the conclusion pretty quickly that the website was bogus.  I hope that you will be sharing some of your knowledge and insight on Ireland's legends in other threads.

Looking forward to it . . .

Jevne

Well, it's somewhat hard to differentiate between what is exclusively Irish and what isn't for me sometimes, as some things that seem normal and standard to me aren't all over the world, or hell all over Ireland. Just last December I learned that Little Women's Christmas isn't celebrated all over the world, which was a bit of a shock to me as we always did it when I was growing up, hell even some of my friends from Tipp don't do it :O . Most of the more Folk Traditions involve the fae, like leaving a bowl of milk  with a drop of whiskey out for them so they don't molest the cattle or if something went missing my nan would bang the brush against the door telling them if they didn't bring it back, they wouldn't be welcome in our home. Of the top of my head, what one could call a "spell", would have been throwing a coin into the bog if you are down on your luck.

Excellent.  We have an Irish witch about. 

I have books and books and books of Irish and Scottish charms, narrowing it down to 10 useful would be quite a pain in the ass!

Archived