Photo
- - - - -

Asparamancy

asparagus

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 Wexler

Wexler

Something wrong? Blame retrograde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 07:06 PM

I found an interesting article today of a woman who casts asparagus to divine the future, much like casting bones. She takes a handful of fresh asparagus and casts them on a flat surface, than interprets how they land.

Original article: Fortune-teller Jemima Packington uses asparagus to make predictions

I suspect this woman may be using asparagus for a bit of a publicity stunt (she has her own twitter account, @asparamancer), but I think it is an interesting look at how you can make your own divination systems, and how easy and simple they can really be. I'm not sure if asparagus has any occult connection to fortune telling, but this has made me think about how a green witch with a strong relationship with her plants could use them to divine. Although the original article was poking fun at her (and I wonder at her legitimacy as a seer), I think over this coming year I will try divining with my garden. It may provide valuable insight in to the nature and spirit of the plants involved.

I also think, especially for us newbies, it is a good reminder that you don't need specially carved runes or a nice printed tarot deck or $75 crystal ball to divine. Anything that you can pick up and work with can be used in the craft, even if it is destined to later become dinner.

'Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.'

'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.'

[avatar source]

#2 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 01:01 AM

I'll have to remember this one the next time I cast the asparagus off of my plate. Don't care much for asparagus, lol.

Seriously though, I do like the use whatever works for you.

#3 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 01:23 AM

If you search for Anjelwolf's article on divination. ., you will find that there are very few forms of divination that have not already been thought of by someone else.  "The Journal of the Anthropological Institute of Great Britain and Ireland" (1876) by the Royal Anthropological Institute has an entire chapter devoted to the history of divining, not only with rods, but also with arrows.  The authors note the similarities between sticks and/or arrows thrown for divination and the earliest forms of written communication, implying that divination practices eventually resulted in letters and words.  The book is available free from Google, if anyone is interested in reading the information.   

#4 Roanna

Roanna

She of the spiders and degus...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:32 PM

If you search for Anjelwolf's article on divination. ., you will find that there are very few forms of divination that have not already been thought of by someone else. 

I bet my divination by tarantula is an original!

Do what you believe to be the right thing and trust yourself.

Witchpathforward My website incorporating "Ask a Witch a Question," my blog and websites of witchy interest.

#5 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 01:00 PM

Spider divination is or has been used in certain parts of Africa. I am not sure how they go about it, though. You might find it interesting to research, given your love of spiders.