Vaping (Non-Witchy)

Michele

Is anyone interested in discussing vaping? I am interested because I recently quit smoking (huge shocker there, lol... wasn't expecting to do that being a two-pack-a-day devoted smoke-loving kinda girl).

Anyway, I was driving down the road having a smoke, and I truly LOVE smoking. I don't like the non-healthy aspects, nor the problems when dating a non-smoker (I smoke in my house), but I LOVE smoking. I didn't WANT to quit, I just didn't want to get sick later on in life. So I was driving down the road and was thinking about this and I just said "why, oh WHY can't cigarettes just not be bad for you"?

Anyway, that was the beginning, and shortly after that vaping kept popping up into my line of vision on a regular basis - from a store I would happen to notice, to someone new at work who suddenly appeared with a personal vaporizer (PV), etc. 

No, I don't think the "universe" is out to grant my wishes or act in my best interest. But I also don't put tons of store in coincidences and I, personally, DO have relationships with things that have my well-being in mind and I had also been discussing this issue with the back-garden, and, of course, with my beloved K.

So, having got some unexpected money for my birthday, I decided to go look into a vape store. Bought a vape pen. Got little satisfaction from it. The new guy at work who vaped gave me some pointers for some better equipment. Bit the bullet, spent the money, got a PV and quite smoking 12 and a half days ago. Quit. Just like that. No craving, no missings, no discontent, no nothing, no over-eating, no oral fixations. 

Anyway, since this whole deal is rather new and exciting to me, I was wondering if anyone else on here vapes, or is interested in discussing vaping?

M

I do not smoke, but I wanted to say that I am really happy for you.  It seems like a viable solution.  No doubt you will inspire others to quit, too.

My husband keeps talking to me about it.  All the nicotine and none of the tar and other assorted 'bad stuff'.  I finally told him to get me one and I'll try it.

I know what you mean about loving smoking.  Although, I could do without coughing up half a lung in the morning. 

Have him get you something quality - it makes a big difference in the satisfaction of the throat-hit and also in the delivery and the amount of nic you get.

M

Have him get you something quality - it makes a big difference in the satisfaction of the throat-hit and also in the delivery and the amount of nic you get.

M

I totally agree with this Michele! My biggest complaint about vaping is that it is not as intense as smoking a cigarette. Right now the cartridges I have are very mild, similar to an ultra filtered cigarette. I am going to buy stronger flavors the next time around.

Buying a quality ecig is definitely the way to go over cheap ones. Cheaper ecigs can explode (and cause serious damage) if you leave them on the charger for too long. I bought a Green Smoke starter pack with a battery, cartridges, and charger for $30. After the initial investment, buying new cartridges is equivalent to the cost of cigarettes.

One thing I do really like about vaping is that it reminds me of smoking hookah! I do not find the tobacco flavor for mine to be very satisfying, but I can imagine that I would really enjoy fruity flavors. I think that would also help me get away from the tobacco mindset. Sometimes when I'm at parties I'll get frustrated with vaping and bum a cigarette from a friend, which I ought to cut out. Before I started vaping I didn't smoke at all for I think about two months, so I think my focus on the tobacco flavors is just frustrating me. I also love that I can now smoke in bars, in my house, and around people without issue!

My husband started vaping about a month ago. I was really worried about it becoming an expensive habit (he has friends who vape and drop anywhere from $300-$500 on their equipment). But he got his vape for free from a friend, and so far spends minimal money on coils and juice. He's gone from a pack-a-day smoker and sometimes chewer (ew!) to only 6 mg of nicotine in his vape juice (started at 18 mg) in four weeks. It's amazing! So, good for you, M! 

I am very anti-vape personally, and it's simply a pride thing. I don't want to be chained to nicotine, and I don't want to feel like I need a crutch to get off it. I quit cold-turkey and so far, it's been going great. However, I know that I wouldn't have been successful with my quitting if my hubby hadn't started vaping. I understand why people vape, but it's not for me. 

​I recently heard of this " vaping " as a gal pal is doing it.  She is a smoker and although I don't know what amount of money she dropped but she refers to her equipment as a " hookah " ( ? )  She's quit nicotine all together and swears if she she'd of known about vaping years ago, she would applied it then.  I believe she also has the cigarette version of this, that she can utilize at her workplace.  

I believe that One has to come to a quality decision in regards to their favorite past time, when it just may jeopardize One's health in the long run.  Good for all involved in  post that have come to this mindset.  Yay  YOU !!!  I have not come to that mindset in regards to my favorite past time, my utmost love of good Brandy.  LOL !  

Regards,

Gypsy

Congrats for quitting smoking. :)

As for the vaping thing, I don't smoke but my husband tried to quit this way. It was expensive but where we were marbs are $100 a carton so it was already in budget. It worked for a couple of months and then his coughing started to get worse.  Instead of smoke, it's water vapor entering your lungs.  He also started to get bad mood swings and was horrible to live with for a while.  He told me he started to feel ill and didn't like it anymore so he stopped using it.  The kind he had was the kind you fill with the flavored nicotine liquid.  Now, no one really knows if that liquid is bad for you too but he started to feel ill and stopped. He ended up going back to smoking. I hope it works for you, but I would research if its really a healthy alternative. 

Hey everyone who.... lots of things to respond to, lol.

Price - I am using a Vision Spinner 1300 battery (11 to 13 hour's use on one charge), $40.00, and a second back-up battery of 4 hours (in case first one dies for some reason) for $20.00.  A Kanger Pro Mini 2 Carto and a Kanger Pro 3 ($14.00 and $25.00) So a total of approx $99.00 in equipment. I downloaded a tracker app and put in my daily pack usage and what I paid per pack and have to-date saved $80.00 not smoking, lol, so I am just about to break even. My current spending is $7.00 a week on juice and 4.00 on a new weekly coil. So $44.00 a month vs. the $225.00 a month I was spending on smokes. 

Addiction - Nicotine itself is not bad for you, smoke inhalation is. I'm addicted to coffee and I'll choke anyone who tries to make me quit that, lmao. So I figure that continuing to take nic doesn't bother me anymore than drinking coffee does (or eating chocolate for one week a month, lol) . I am very self-indulgent by nature,  and have totally no intention of making myself miserable (although I do own cats for some unknown reason...) :-D

Illness - this was interesting and I had already read up on this topic prior to starting... Vaping is NOT smoking. So even though one vapes and still gets nicotine one will still get the "illness" symptoms of withdrawal as the lungs start to recover from ceaseation of smoke inhalation and the 400 + other chemicals (besides nic) included in cigarettes. As the tar built up in the lungs starts to dislodge and move out one will get short of breath as the tar moves through the lung airways, then get coughing and hack it all up (I've started this lovely part already, lol). Brief and sudden extreme tiredness can also be a common symptom. One will get a sore throat and sometimes headaches and the mood swings and all the other related symptoms of recovering from smoke inhalation and withdrawal from the other chemicals. So that's actually a sign of one getting healthier, not one getting sick. 

Liquid being bad for you - The studies to-date show that as long as one uses liquid that does not contain diketones (possible sp) the liquid is not bad for you. The medical community can't say for sure as this product has only been widely used for the last 5 to 7 years, but what the "average" medical community has agreed with to a 98% agreement (according to one study) is that based on HARM REDUCTION, vaping will be no where near AS BAD for you as smoking is. However, it is a new thing, so make your own decisions on the known risk of smoking vs. the possible risk of vaping. But don't assume - definitely read up on the studies first. They're very interesting.

Exploding batteries - There is a (rare) possibility with Lith-Ion (or however you spell that) batteries over-heating and blowing up. Your cell phone runs the same possibility (notice it gets hot with extended use). The vision spinners come with (I forget the technology but it's 3 built-in back-up lock-outs to guard against this problem) which is one reason why I chose to use them. Also, some vapers do modify their equipment, and that is widely advised against if one wants safe equipment.

Quality and Safety - you get what you pay for. Buy liquid and equipment made in the USA (not China where they have had some problems) and research your providers prior to buying. Email the companies and ask what they use, where they get their products, what's in it, etc. 

Brandy - Brandy is not an addiction, it is a necessity (along with wine and chocolate). lol lol lol

Allergies - Some people can be allergic to either VP or PG, just like some people can be allergic to strawberries or shellfish or cats (gods forbid)... so if you have an allergic reaction stop doing it or switch to a VP or PG only juice.

M

I tried an ecig a few months ago and gave it up after just a day. The delivery device was too damned heavy to hold as one would normally hold a cigarette between your fingers & I felt like I was smoking a bong - had to draw hard to get anything even as far as my mouth, never mind into my lungs!

I keep meaning to try a different brand and just haven't gotten back to thinking about that, yet. M, how heavy is the setup you have compared to a tobacco cig?

Addiction...I'm addicted to coffee and I'll choke anyone who tries to make me quit that, lmao.

Funny enough... I'm detoxing off caffeine right now... I tried doing that cold-turkey and nearly killed myself with the migraine I got! Thought my head was going to crack in two!!

I tried an ecig a few months ago and gave it up after just a day. The delivery device was too damned heavy to hold as one would normally hold a cigarette between your fingers & I felt like I was smoking a bong - had to draw hard to get anything even as far as my mouth, never mind into my lungs!

I keep meaning to try a different brand and just haven't gotten back to thinking about that, yet. M, how heavy is the setup you have compared to a tobacco cig?

I know you asked M but I'll answer too! My ecig is much heavier than a regular one and that does take something away from the experience.

It is different than a cigarette. But the hand-to-mouth and the "smoke" inhalation and the nic is there. It won't be the same as a cigarette, but it can replace them. I had a problem with the e-cigs, too. Trying to suck ice-cream through a straw, lol. The set-up I have  now is a good vapor hit, minimal sucking required to get a reaction/vape. The feel of holding it and the look of it is different - it isn't smoking. But I got used to it very quickly and really enjoy it. Up at the pub tonight I had three different people asking about it and asking to hit off it and see what it was like... I guess it's that time of year when people think about quitting, lol....

M

Archived