Sign in to follow this  
RedKowalski

Unusual and Unique Ingredients

Yes she is okay. I picked her up on a Monday and kept an eye on her. Saturday morning when I got up and checked on her her right ear was half gone so I took her to the vet right then. The vet said her ears for having frostbite look good. I keep ointment on them. But they've scabbed over nicely and should be good.

Well thank the gods for you for little kitty. Yay you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

M

Last night, my partner brought in a chunk of firewood that was split from the downed tree we harvested last week.  He idly remarked that there were dead bugs in the wood.  My witchy senses immediately began to tingle, and I demanded that he scrap the small moths off into an empty jar because I felt they were hibernating and could be magically useful.  Sure enough, in the warmth of the indoors, the moths came to life.  I have a wickedly delicious idea for them: a "sleeper" spell (the working to come to fruition slowly before culminating in a big bang, in correlation with the moths' hibernation patterns) that is destructive enough to be a borderline curse (in recognition of the moths' ability to kill spruce trees).  I've been waiting for the moon to wane to start working on a target, so the spruce bud moths came into my life at just the right time!

• Upvote 1

Last night, my partner brought in a chunk of firewood that was split from the downed tree we harvested last week.  He idly remarked that there were dead bugs in the wood.  My witchy senses immediately began to tingle, and I demanded that he scrap the small moths off into an empty jar because I felt they were hibernating and could be magically useful.  Sure enough, in the warmth of the indoors, the moths came to life.  I have a wickedly delicious idea for them: a "sleeper" spell (the working to come to fruition slowly before culminating in a big bang, in correlation with the moths' hibernation patterns) that is destructive enough to be a borderline curse (in recognition of the moths' ability to kill spruce trees).  I've been waiting for the moon to wane to start working on a target, so the spruce bud moths came into my life at just the right time!

This is a great idea! Once I found some hibernating ladybugs in much the same manner, wish I'd thought of this then!

One of the more interesting ingredients of mine I picked up when I saw a bird swoop down and catch a dragon fly right in front of me. He took the body but left the wings. When the bird flew off with his snack, I of course collected the wings, they were remarkably in near perfect condition. Many uses I could find for those!

I have a dead hummingbird in my freezer which was given to me as a gift, so that I could preserve and keep it (I study ecology and part of my education is learning curation/preserving techniques). I  have a hankering it'd be mighty useful during projects which require something more astral. Projecting outside of myself has never been one of my strong suits, so I figure that perhaps the energy of a swift, light bird would be a useful channel for me.

Not necessarily unique or unusual by Traditional Witch standards, but my current favorite ingredient . . . worm castings.

Just unpacked my craft stuff today. I found a dead packaged butterfly among my supplies.  Not really unusual in and of itself, but the unusual part was that it was collected for me by a non witch relative. How many non witches collect dead stuff for witches? 

I kept a load of styrofoam packaging "tubes" the other day. I've got them in mind for a protection, guarding, sheathing kind of spell. Failing that a sufforcation spell as they can be packed very tightly into a small space. Possibly even to induce claustrophobia. Lots of possibilities.

Just unpacked my craft stuff today. I found a dead packaged butterfly among my supplies.  Not really unusual in and of itself, but the unusual part was that it was collected for me by a non witch relative. How many non witches collect dead stuff for witches? 

That is really nice of them.  It is wonderful to have friends, who understand you and your dead things needs.  I believe it is beneficial to have non-Witch friends, who support you.  (I was going to say Witch supporters, but that sounds like something a male Witch slips on to support his family jewels, during casting.) 

Your post actually made me think of the time that my Son's little friend came to me with a strange pebble in his hand.  He presented it to me, saying that he thought I would like it.  I did like it.  I even used it later.  It was a little ball of animal shit.   

That is really nice of them.  It is wonderful to have friends, who understand you and your dead things needs.  I believe it is beneficial to have non-Witch friends, who support you.  (I was going to say Witch supporters, but that sounds like something a male Witch slips on to support his family jewels, during casting.) 

Your post actually made me think of the time that my Son's little friend came to me with a strange pebble in his hand.  He presented it to me, saying that he thought I would like it.  I did like it.  I even used it later.  It was a little ball of animal shit.   

LOL!

• Upvote 1

I was gifted with three dead pygmy seahorse bodies yesterday. I am aware that dried seahorse has been used in Chinese medicine for a long time. I think I even heard that dried seahorse is more valuable than gold and silver in their economy. Now I am sure that the species used for medicine differ from what I have, I think the pygmy species was only really discovered in 2001 or something. I could be making that up. I have witnessed how the living ones in my friends tank just wrap their little bodies around blades of grass and just float in the "current" of the tank. I was lucky to even get the little guys she was able to get me as her tank is crazy healthy and the dead Don't last long. I am researching more about them today and trying to get an idea logically what they are all about. I have held them and pondered them as far as their personal experience and energy and I am still not quite sure what it is I am feeling from them. I think they are dying to be made into some sort of charm however.

Powdering menstrual blood and adding it to some graveyard dirt.The ingredients are not unusual, but the method (for me) is unusual and new. I'm expecting some nifty results

On my way back to the car during a very rare visit to the mall I came across these unusual and fascinating seed pods in the parking lot and HAD to bring one home with me, having no idea what I would do with it. (They're about the size of an orange, for reference).

They smell sweet and are fleshy and the next day when I went into my art & Craft room, it had closed up on itself!

I looked it up and it's poisonous to eat but the leaves give it its common name of Autograph Tree (Clusia Rosea) because you can write on them by scratching off the top layer and it will remain very visible as long as the leaf is on the tree. (It's an evergreen) Interestingly, the dried ones used to be used for playing cards and "paper." (More ideas.... :cauldron: )

Anyway, now it's drying out and brings to mind a little *self-made prison* which inspired me greatly for exactly how I'm going to utilize it :wickedwitch:

So I had my bf pick up a few more and I'll start the spell with an open one and wait for it to close up on itself to finish it...

post-3907-0-28907500-1476906074_thumb.jpg

post-3907-0-83477600-1476906118_thumb.jpg

post-3907-0-48920000-1476906172_thumb.jpg

post-3907-0-36546500-1476906206_thumb.jpg

post-3907-0-72700600-1476906228_thumb.jpg

post-3907-0-42521000-1476906268_thumb.jpg

post-3907-0-09374800-1476906293_thumb.jpg

Edited by IslandBruja

Wow. Interesting pods.

My lucky find is a long splintered section of a lighting struck pine I've trimmed and sanded for a staff.

I bought a souvenir dinosaur tooth which I keep on my altar in a covered dish as my ancestor link. That ought to go back far enough.

Those are very cool IB.

I've amassed an interesting little collection of things that people have brought back for me on their vacations...black naturally-magnetic sand from the beach, Grand Canyon rocks, crossroad dirt from Clarksdale, Mississippi, pinecones from the mountains, owl feathers, Irish dirt, petrified wood and fossils, stones from Egypt, bones from foxes and coyotes, etc. I love these souvenirs so much, they carry so much energy from where they come from.

The funny thing is...none of the people that bring these items to me have any idea of my witchcraft, and yet they bring the perfect wittchy types of items, and usually say something like "I immediately thought of you when I saw this" Just another example of how the ingredients you need tend to make their way into your life

Edited by RapunzelGnome

I recently found a piece of bark that had been blasted off a tree by a bit of lightning; it is so full of power I'm thinking of adding it to the "witch pocket" of my purse.

Those are very cool IB.

I've amassed an interesting little collection of things that people have brought back for me on their vacations...black naturally-magnetic sand from the beach, Grand Canyon rocks, crossroad dirt from Clarksdale, Mississippi, pinecones from the mountains, owl feathers, Irish dirt, petrified wood and fossils, stones from Egypt, bones from foxes and coyotes, etc. I love these souvenirs so much, they carry so much energy from where they come from.

The funny thing is...none of the people that bring these items to me have any idea of my witchcraft, and yet they bring the perfect wittchy types of items, and usually say something like "I immediately thought of you when I saw this" Just another example of how the ingredients you need tend to make their way into your life

That's really cool people bring you those things - I've always been a minimalist, and being a nomad for so long I've been a purger for most of my life (my instincts even as a child were to get rid of things I wasn't using rather than hoarding/collecting) so I think that mindset signaled to most people who know me not to give me "things"... but now that I've settled down in one place it would lovely to be surprised with gifts such as those from friends and family, RG! :)

On my way back to the car during a very rare visit to the mall I came across these unusual and fascinating seed pods in the parking lot and HAD to bring one home with me, having no idea what I would do with it. (They're about the size of an orange, for reference).

They smell sweet and are fleshy and the next day when I went into my art & Craft room, it had closed up on itself!

I looked it up and it's poisonous to eat but the leaves give it its common name of Autograph Tree (Clusia Rosea) because you can write on them by scratching off the top layer and it will remain very visible as long as the leaf is on the tree. (It's an evergreen) Interestingly, the dried ones used to be used for playing cards and "paper." (More ideas.... :cauldron: )

Anyway, now it's drying out and brings to mind a little *self-made prison* which inspired me greatly for exactly how I'm going to utilize it :wickedwitch:

So I had my bf pick up a few more and I'll start the spell with an open one and wait for it to close up on itself to finish it...

These are very cool, and I love your ideas on how to use them! The leaves also sound like they would be useful for workings. 

Mine is spider silk from the friendly little fellow below. The late George made his web right outside my door and used to scare off solicitors and took care of the huge wasp problem I had this summer (I have a phobia of wasps). I'm not sure what I'm going to use it for yet, but I wanted to collect it before his numerous offspring destroyed it.

post-3652-0-35726900-1477614748_thumb.png

Mine is spider silk from the friendly little fellow below. The late George made his web right outside my door and used to scare off solicitors and took care of the huge wasp problem I had this summer (I have a phobia of wasps). I'm not sure what I'm going to use it for yet, but I wanted to collect it before his numerous offspring destroyed it.

attachicon.gifGeorge.png

Holy Arachnid, Duchess - WHAT A PHOTO!

These are very cool, and I love your ideas on how to use them! The leaves also sound like they would be useful for workings.

Thanks Solanaceae :) Yes, I plan to use the leaves too for something but haven't collected any yet because it's best to write on them before they dry out and I have no idea what that will be yet ;)

@ IB / Duchess-  We have a giant spider over our doorway - we so creatively call "Charlotte".  She doesn't spell as well as her namesake though.  Anyway, there is a large stone archway just before our front door and she has her web in the upper corner of that.  When we moved in I felt strongly she should not be disturbed and to the dismay of my family asked everyone to leave her alone.  Does anyone know if there is any lore regarding their being lucky guardians or something.  She just has that vibe.

Now for something random (just being consistent)...  The above post - originally by duchess- mentions a wasp phobia, which made me think of this.  When we were moving a few months ago, I found 3 wasp nests on the porch of my old place amongst the outdoor furniture.  I felt inclined to keep them and did.  Apparently, the builders of said nest had already vacated the premises.  So, my "unique ingredient" collection now includes 3 wasp nests.  I imagine that their use will become apparent when the time comes- that is how things usually go.  

However, does anyone have any thoughts on what potential uses for a wasp nest?  Just thought this would be interesting to discuss.  I thought a few somewhat conflicting associations- which I figure would be more or less appropriate depending on the situation it is being applied to.  It seems it would be an appropriate addition to a hex or protection spell- e.g. a situation where you are planting a land mine of sorts- an "if/then" situation.  "If you set foot on my property again- you will be kicking over a hornets nest type thing."  But then it also seems almost more appropriate to represent something that has had its "teeth" removed because the inhabitants are gone it is something that WAS dangerous but now is completely benign.  Not sure if this is making sense- these were just some initial thoughts I had when I bagged the things a couple months ago.

Thanks, IslandBruja! He was a very photogenic spider.

​Oroboros, from the little research I did, guardian spiders are suppose to bring luck and financial fortune. Which considering the number that took up webs around my house after George, means I should be rolling in it! :P 

​I'd be very curious to know if anyone knows anything more substantial as well. But I definitely know what you mean about that vibe, George had it too.

Spiders are very important in Southwest Native American lore. Spider is the weaver of creation.

This is from the American Museum of Natural History:

"Southwest Native Myth

'The spider woman is the wisdom keeper, the grandmother figure, the female figure. When I wanted to get out from my illness, there was a spider woman in my mind who spoke to me, and she became my strength and my courage to pull me out.'

—Hopi artist Michael Kabotie

Spider Woman appears in stories throughout the Southwest, often as a powerful teacher and helper. In some Southwestern cultures, Spider Woman taught people to spin thread and weave cloth, thus sharing with humans the spider's ability to make webs.

The Hopis speak of a Spider Grandmother who, conscientiously weaving her webs, thought the world itself into existence. In the Navajo creation story, people travel up through four lower worlds, creating chaos and disorder until they are banished from each in turn. At one level, they are threatened by a devastating flood but Spider Woman rescues them by weaving a web to create solid ground before the water sweeps over them."

Here is a page with lots of links to different Native American myths and lore from the different tribes you can look into:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider_Grandmother

The first pic is of my favorite type of spiders around here, though I can't keep them around the house as my bf is freaked out by spiders :D

The second picture is of a cane spider I caught - they are truly LIGHTNING fast (and huge) and I'm the designated spider evictor as I have very fast reflexes and they don't bother me at all...

post-3907-0-67222300-1477666850_thumb.jpg

post-3907-0-53043400-1477667073_thumb.jpg

Sign in to follow this