92 replies to this topic

#81 FrozenThunderbolt

FrozenThunderbolt

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 02:00 AM

Hmmm - Dried dung beetles would be one of my more original ideas.

They are everywhere on our land (which is a nice direct link) and do love to come inside and die on the windowsills. They are single minded, and industrious creatures so I feel their 'mojo' would not be easily worn out or distracted.

I'm going to use them to make protections that 'drag down and compost'  negative energy (my own or others sent my way) much like the little chappies do with shit.

This feels more comfortable to me than a standard 'witch bottle' that feels to me more like an 'accumulator' than a shield, though I realize my view of this is not the most common one.

"Jack of all trades, master of none, though oftentimes better than master of one." You may call me Jed.  

#82 MuireAnne

MuireAnne

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 07:08 PM

I always keep certain things that belonged to people that I love. My father died suddenly when I was a teenager. I have a key that he carried in his wallet. I have no idea what the key unlocked but that's not the point. I feel like it connects me to him in a way and I use in my practice to that end.

I have kept a few of my children's baby teeth in a little box. I haven't used them for anything yet but thought that they would be valuable for a protection spell or a locating spell if I ever needed it.

Photographs, letters, locks of hair, jewelry, pocket ephemera like my dad's key ..certain objects just whisper to me. I keep them when this happens. And eventually their purpose becomes evident!

True magic is neither bad nor good. It is both, because nature is both; loving and cruel all at the same time. The only good or bad is in the heart of the witch. Life keeps a balance on its own. - Lirio

#83 witchinplainsight

witchinplainsight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 07:11 PM

I have a really unusual medal belonging to a great relative. It's connected to nature and I would love to think of a way of using it. Maybe for ancestor contact because I am pretty clueless about that stuff.

#84 Yex

Yex

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 02:05 AM

I have some lunisolar water that I steeped with silver and gold, and then charged recently during the recent total eclipse of the sun. I'm really sure what I'll use it for yet, but possibly either some sort of visionary work, or some sort of healing work.

I have an Eastern Orthodox icon of Our Lady of Bethlehem (I'll attach an image I found online that's pretty close to what it looks like). I that I charged on the Stone of Anointing (a stone traditionally thought to be in the spot where Jesus' body was prepared for burial by Joseph of Arimathea) in the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem. When you go there, there are all sorts of pilgrims laying various items on the stone and praying over them to bless them. I use mine as a general protective amulet on my altar. 

I think I'm going back to Israel and Palestine this fall, and I plan to gather some grave dirt from my great-grandfather's grave on Mount of Olives (thought to be the oldest continuously used cemetery in the world, with the oldest graves dating back 3000 years to the First Temple period). I'll put this on my ancestor altar, and may also use some for necromantic spellwork of some sort.

I also have a piece of a meteoroid and an ammonite fossil, both purchased in a shop. They've been hanging out on my altar for some time, but I haven't really felt called to use them for anything yet. They both feel so "out there" that I'm kind of at a loss for how to work with them, and I feel like I should wait until just the circumstances present themselves. 

Attached Files

Edited by Yex, 25 August 2017 - 02:08 AM.

Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
But the heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

#85 Phaedra

Phaedra

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 12:04 PM

So I've got some ingredients on hand that are unusual for me to be using beyond one very specific formula, and I was sort of hoping maybe you fine folk would be able to lend me a bit of inspiration for alternative ways to employ it. The ingredients are the impossibly hot Carolina Reaper and a Chinese cultivar of the Trinidad Scorpion, dried and powdered by myself. A little goes a long way with this stuff, I learned in a painful episode while I was powdering them up. I'm naturally inclined to utilize such potent ingredients in banework, and it was a particularly emotive hotfoot that I had sought them out for....but very recently, the hotfoot work has been rendered unnecessary, and I feel like it's bad luck to make a formula like that merely in anticipation of needing it around later. 

I have entrepreneurship endeavors in my near future, and considered using the powder as a quickening agent in any luck work concerning this; maybe as an intensifier of other fire-oriented ingredients. Though, I'm not sure if the dangerous nature of the peppers would do what they do in a hotfoot regardless of my intention, and chase luck right away from me! 

#86 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 02:47 PM

Well, my first thought is- you said you dried and ground these yourself. Was it your intent to use them in the hot foot prep during this whole preparation process? Or even, was the intent to use it in baneful magic of some sort during that process? This is just my opinion, in fact I’d be curious to see what others think. Maybe it can still be re-purposed. But to me, if intent and emotion is present while preparing a spell ingredient- that grooms that object for its purpose. In fact I have had spells “go off” before I intended due to situations where intention was particularly intense during a stage of prep work.

Edited to say: it occurs to me you already stated you sought them out for that purpose. Maybe I’m splitting hairs. But I have purchased ingredients thinking I’d probably use it for one thing, then used them for something else. I suppose in that vein alone it would depend on whether it was like a casual shopping event with no strong intention or a focused venture- if that makes sense. But, for me there is often intention poured in to hands on prep- work steps, so my focus tended to go there.

Edited by Oroboros, 16 May 2018 - 02:59 PM.

...From ev’ry depth of good and ill , The mystery which binds me still...— Poe

#87 Phaedra

Phaedra

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 04:04 PM

Oroboros, thank you for your reply. Since my previous post on here, the need for the hotfoot has risen anew like a zombie with an air horn, so I'll be going full speed ahead with my original plans for these ingredients over the duration of this week. That being said, I definitely have way more pepper on my hands than this one bit of banework calls for! I was thinking I would portion out the lion's share and bless away any residual intent I might have rubbed onto them during processing, and mix up a peppered rum that'l take your head off as an offering for Maman Brigitte. 

It's true that I had procured the peppers for the purpose of banework, but the doings of drying and powdering them were not particularly charged acts. Thinking hypothetically, though, I wager I could undo my own charge on a thing by any manner of purification, so long as I match or surpass the oomph I laid on the thing in the first place. In my way of it, purchasing ingredients doesn't play into the work itself. Growing, harvesting, or acquiring with deliberation without monetary exchange or by gift is a different matter, though.

#88 Circe

Circe

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 06:13 PM

By far the most unusual ingredient I have in my possession is Saguaro cactus needles. A good friend of mine who lives in that part of the Southwest United states gave them to me when he visited. The process for obtaining them was very weird. Basically he coated a small part of the cactus with woodwork glue and let it sit for an hour before rolling it up from the margins. He had to use tweezers to remove them.

So now I’ve got dried glue-coated cactus spines that I have no clue what to use for. Any ideas?

#89 Phaedra

Phaedra

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 07:00 PM

Hmm, cactus spines...my first thought is to apply them like I would any needle; to draw blood, to 'pin something down' and keep it there, or to grief someone or something via banework.

#90 Circe

Circe

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 10:10 PM

Hmm, cactus spines...my first thought is to apply them like I would any needle; to draw blood, to 'pin something down' and keep it there, or to grief someone or something via banework.

Me and my friend were joking about how we could use them as pins for witch dolls for an impotency spell. If you haven't felt a saguaro needle before, its sharp as hell and dangerous. I've heard stories about people getting stabbed by the spines and having to go to the ER from erythema. I've heard you can get an infection from being prickled by the needle but it sounds pretty rare.

Banework, hexing, and/or protection are definitely at the top of my list. I scented them with anise oil to get rid of the gross glue smell. Definitely powerful stuff. 

Edited by Circe, 22 May 2018 - 10:11 PM.

#91 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 06:40 PM

I collect Cat's Wiskers, which i use in Luck spells,
Driftwood, I make wands out of them, especially if I can see an animal form in the wood. I have one with a Tiger shape and one with Raven shapes.
Feathers, found or bought. I use them as a representation of air. I paint animals or eyes on the feathers.

#92 Circe

Circe

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 08:55 PM

I collect Cat's Wiskers, which i use in Luck spells,
Driftwood, I make wands out of them, especially if I can see an animal form in the wood. I have one with a Tiger shape and one with Raven shapes.
Feathers, found or bought. I use them as a representation of air. I paint animals or eyes on the feathers.

Cat Whiskers! I love it! Need to collect them next time my cat's not in one of her cranky moods.

#93 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 09:20 PM

Cat Whiskers! I love it! Need to collect them next time my cat's not in one of her cranky moods.

Alright, I use cat whiskers too, but use the ones that naturally fall. Kitty needs his whiskers! They are not just there for show. Please don't pluck them!

Edited by Solanaceae, 18 June 2018 - 09:21 PM.

Some are born to sweet delight,

Some are born to endless night.

(Fragments from "Auguries of Innocence") William Blake