• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#1 Kowalski

Kowalski

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:51 AM

A year or so ago I "aquired" a small jar of ashes of the plague victims of Edinburgh. Today I'm still proud of my little find because, to me, it seems like a rare thing and could be used in such powerful ways, given what it is and the sorts of energies that it holds.

I was curious if anyone else had any casting ingredients that they're particularly proud of finding? And what ways have they, or do they think they might use them in the future?

#2 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 03:43 PM

A year or so ago I "aquired" a small jar of ashes of the plague victims of Edinburgh. Today I'm still proud of my little find because, to me, it seems like a rare thing and could be used in such powerful ways, given what it is and the sorts of energies that it holds.

I was curious if anyone else had any casting ingredients that they're particularly proud of finding? And what ways have they, or do they think they might use them in the future?

Volcano ash from an eruption, has been an ingredient I've employed in a working. 

Regards,

Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#3 Kowalski

Kowalski

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:36 AM

Volcano ash from an eruption, has been an ingredient I've employed in a working. 

Regards,

Gypsy

That's really interesting. Do you mind if i ask, is there a story behind how you got the ash?

Edited by RedKowalski, 18 December 2013 - 09:36 AM.

#4 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 03:19 PM

That's really interesting. Do you mind if i ask, is there a story behind how you got the ash?

No I don't mind you asking.   :smile:   I was living in Washington state, at the time Mt. St. Helen erupted.

When she " belched ".......................... she made Historical News that particular day.  lol !

Regards,

Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

#5 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 06:28 PM

Some unique items you dont really hear about that Ive collected for use are dead lady bugs, cat claws and whiskers, magnetic sand from the lake, charred drift wood, cig butts, chapstick and a toothbrush.

#6 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:07 PM

Some unique items you dont really hear about that Ive collected for use are dead lady bugs, cat claws and whiskers, magnetic sand from the lake, charred drift wood, cig butts, chapstick and a toothbrush.

I like to collect stuff, so the acquisition of some object of historical or cultural significance obviously interests me, but I am unlikely to find such objects useful for much actual spellwork.  I suppose it would depend upon the context, as I have utilized volcanic ash, as example.  For the purposes I intended, however, where it came from was irrelevant.  I am more inclined toward seemingly ordinary items, such as listed here by Whiterose.  These are often items with direct connection to the target of the spell or with some relatively baseline characteristic that I need. 

For spellwork, I mostly collect person-specific items, so If I am picking hair off of your clothes, be warned that I am probably not doing it to be nice. 

#7 Davenport

Davenport

Witch Of The Seven Hills

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:08 PM

I as well use Cat whiskers and claws in my workings. I had a client in FL when I still lived down south, who ran a big cat rescue. I used to go out on some weekends and volunteer my time cleaning their enclosures and helping butcher meat for them and such. Absolutely beautiful creatures. I was fortunate enough over time to find a lion,panther and tigers whiskers. I have a few of each. They had large hammockish type beds and you could sometimes find them embedded in the material. The same woman also rescued a black bear and I was able to gt some of his fur after he had surgery for a mild health problem. They shaved the area in advance and I got to keep the fur. It was quite a bit so I felted it and made it into a small pouch. Apart from all that though I use a myriad of unconventional materials for my magic. The most unusual ingredient I have used recently at least was stomach bile and dead skin. And lets not forget my love of woodland fungi and insect larvae 

#8 Faith

Faith

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 02:33 AM

Peacock feather.  :)

#9 Davenport

Davenport

Witch Of The Seven Hills

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 03:38 AM

Currently contemplating a working involving anchoring my spell to the blossoms of my Christmas cactus. As I would like the spell to manifest next year at this time, the yearly recurrence of the bright pink flowers is just what I am needing I think. 

#10 Finn

Finn

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 07:23 AM

Hm. Well this isn't an ingredient I have, but rather one I've been eager to get. I just haven't had the presence of mind to get out there and do it. Basically I intend to get dirt from the graveyard where my ancestors were buried. It's actually less than ten miles from where I live. I didn't realize I'd be living anywhere near where my ancestors lived when I moved here back in '07. It was a pleasant realiziation.

I hope to make ancestor spirit bottles for a few of my ancestors. Especially Chief Tamaha and his daughter Little Elk.  It'd help to have dirt respectfully harvested from the place where they were laid to rest.

#11 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 11:55 AM

I was just noting that level of uniqueness depends on the person. For example, peacock feathers are no big deal to me. It seems that what one person find special, is common everyday for someone some place else. Also there are separate threads about most of these items. Graveyard dirt and ancestor related items to name a few examples.

#12 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 04:35 PM

Currently contemplating a working involving anchoring my spell to the blossoms of my Christmas cactus. As I would like the spell to manifest next year at this time, the yearly recurrence of the bright pink flowers is just what I am needing I think. 

Being a fan of long term working and applications there in, I rather like this. I could endorse this for today being the Winter Solstice and as the days grow longer the working of spellcraft increases.  Correct me if I'm wrong, as I don't have plants that flower within a certain season, but does this plant only bloom during this time of year ? Is it dormant during let's say during summertime ?  I wonder if this working could be used with other blooming seasonal plants. :thinking: 

Regards,

Gypsy

#13 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 08:25 PM

Lightning struck wood that a fellow poster here kindly sent me :)

#14 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 08:26 PM

Also, railway ties formed into a knife and stand that she sent me.

#15 Davenport

Davenport

Witch Of The Seven Hills

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 08:50 PM

Being a fan of long term working and applications there in, I rather like this. I could endorse this for today being the Winter Solstice and as the days grow longer the working of spellcraft increases.  Correct me if I'm wrong, as I don't have plants that flower within a certain season, but does this plant only bloom during this time of year ? Is it dormant during let's say during summertime ?  I wonder if this working could be used with other blooming seasonal plants. :thinking: 

Regards,

Gypsy

I did actually start the spell today to take advantage of the solstice. Also yes the plant only blooms at this time of the year. It is not uncommon for them to bloom once more around Easter but I have had this plant a few years and mine has not. I don't bother trying to create blooming conditions for Easter. It blooms well on it's own in December.   I usually trim it back around Easter and definitely will this year as I don't want it to bloom and ruin my work. Very excited for it to bloom next year and release my magic as the flowers open up!

#16 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 03:57 AM

I have anchored a spell to a living plant before.  It worked out very nicely.  In my previous apartment I had attached a ward to the plant and to make a long story short there is a certain Rose scent that was to be released and made noticeable when the boundary was broken by anything living or spiritual. It was an alarm system by scent. I was alerted several times and it was extremely accurate.  The ward is still tied to the plant and MIL has asked what the scent was. :smile:

Edited by Whiterose, 22 December 2013 - 03:58 AM.

#17 BrythonicWitch

BrythonicWitch

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 09:58 PM

I have some shed snake skin that I plan to use for a couple of workings. It's unusual to me because I absolutely love snakes and find them fascinating. 

"These late eclipses in the sun and moon portend no good to us." - King Lear

"The croaking raven doth bellow for revenge." - Hamlet 

#18 Ceres

Ceres

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 07:12 PM

Jevne has a point that I agree with. What one person finds unique another one finds it common. For instance snake skin is very common for me and I collect it every year during spring and summer.

I have a feather from a stork and a peice of holy wood that are for me rare and unique objects and also animal musk that I'm saving it only for special situations. Still the weirdest thing you can find in my cabinet is sperm and human/animal body parts (skulls, some bones etc).

#19 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 07:16 PM

To me, sperm isn't that unusual.  Now, if you tell me it is the sperm of a lion that would be special.

#20 Aloe

Aloe

ridge running Ozark banshee..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 07:20 PM

Floor tile is one of my weirder ingredients.  I consider all nature-items to be 'normal' lol. 

"The people who live in the Ozark country of Missouri and Arkansas were, until very recently, the most deliberately unprogressive people in the United States. Descended from pioneers who came West from the Southern Appalachians at the beginning of the nineteenth century, they made little contact with the outer world for more than a hundred years. They seem like foreigners to the average urban American, but nearly all of them come of British stock, and many families have lived in America since colonial days. Their material heirlooms are few, but like all isolated illiterates they have clung to the old songs and obsolete sayings and outworn customs of their ancestors." Ozark Magic and Folklore