• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 ladyloss

ladyloss

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:26 PM

Might be an obvious question, but do you think that witchcraft is something you have to practice with and get better? As in, do you start with smaller spells, do them regularly and then move on to more important things? Or has anyone ever jumped straight in, done a "big" or complex spell and got it to work?

#2 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:56 PM

Depends on the person . . . Some are naturally gifted, but for most practice makes perfect. 

For others, they could spend all kinds of time and energy, doing ridiculously elaborate rituals and spells and still not get a damn thing to work.

http://www.tradition...ractice +theory

Short, long, simple, elaborate?  Does it really matter, as long as it works?  I am a firm believer in not making things harder than they have to be.

Edited by Jevne, 19 November 2013 - 09:06 PM.

#3 aurora

aurora

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:12 PM

Yep

#4 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:43 PM

Depends on the person . . . Some are naturally gifted, but for most practice makes perfect. 

For others, they could spend all kinds of time and energy, doing ridiculously elaborate rituals and spells and still not get a damn thing to work.

http://www.tradition...ractice +theory

Short, long, simple, elaborate?  Does it really matter, as long as it works?  I am a firm believer in not making things harder than they have to be.

Voted you up Jevne. Makes sense to me.

#5 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:14 AM

Yes Jevne is right.  If you are doubting whether or not you are ready I would start small.  Most things I have done do not need long elaborate rituals. I don't making cooking dinner a several course feast everynight...I could...but I don't. I get to eat either way and its less work and headache to keep dinner small. The feast has its time and place just like elaborate rituals in my opinion.  If you are just learning to cook you start with the basics...meat, potato, veg, and then expand your skills and knowledge from there until you are  capable of pulling off a fancy holiday meal with out a hitch. Its taken me many years to learn to cook and its the same with the craft. 

#6 Evergreen47

Evergreen47

Ms. Spock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:56 AM

I personally started with a lot of internal/personal magic. Once I had my base, I did a lot more outward/other folks magic. I'm still partial to introspective workings, but that's my path. There's a thread around here about mastering the basics.... Let me dig it up. But I agree that it all depends on the witch. 

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

-=Frank Herbert=-

Rock on, gold dust woman. Take your silver spoon and dig your grave.

#7 OpheliaRose

OpheliaRose

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 03:43 AM

Some (lucky) people definitely have a natural talent for certain things. Practice is always good, though. Sometimes spells need some tweaking to get to perfection. Things don't always come to me right away in my experience, at least. Experimenting and practice has helped me a lot.

#8 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 01:01 PM

Might be an obvious question, but do you think that witchcraft is something you have to practice with and get better? As in, do you start with smaller spells, do them regularly and then move on to more important things? Or has anyone ever jumped straight in, done a "big" or complex spell and got it to work?

Both. 

I think, like with most things, the more you practice - the better you get at something.  There are also times when you jump into the deep end and sink or swim. 

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#9 Belwenda

Belwenda

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 05:44 PM

To me it's all about the energy and focus of direction. could come from practice- but the motivation is inherent. Jevene is right it's best when simple.
"For there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so" W.S.

#10 Jevne

Jevne

Former Member

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 03:57 AM

I am coming back to this thread to note that practice is a very important aspect of growth in the Craft.  In my experience, even if someone has natural abilities, he or she will likely need to work out kinks and bugs in technique and application.  Personally, I find it annoying when newbies claim to have mastered Craft practices after a relatively short period of time without any effort; no fits and starts; no deficiencies or delays, no unforeseen consequences . . . magical perfection after reading a book and lighting a candle.  Bullshit!  It is great when things "work out", but the Craft involves a lot of trial and error, especially when trying something new.  I screw up a lot of things, magically, so I have more respect for someone who tries really hard and admits their failures, than someone who claims that they rival Merlin after a few weeks of Witching.  You have to push the broom before you can fly.

#11 Whiterose

Whiterose

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 03:59 PM

True.  Copying the exercises written in books like doing a spell or two with a candle and claiming to have mastered witchcraft is like copying letters in a primer and than claiming to be this great author. Its asinine. It takes a lot of a hard work, frustration, tears and blood to get descent.  I'm no where near the level that some are on this site, but I'm not brand spanking new either. I have put in over a decade of work in my craft and I still have much to learn.  

There is much more to the craft as well than just sitting down and doing spells. For anything you do to succeed there are steps of planning,  application, assessment and tweaking if the goal is not met. This applies to spells as well as abilities and relationships.  

On another note, the internet is a great resource for information now, but I also wonder how much it actually hinders rather than helps the development of newer witches with all these forums and pages people can hangout on and bicker back and forth about different things. These places take a lot of energy and time especially for people that visit multiple places online everyday. I always wonder about these people and how much craft they actually practice rather than speak. 

#12 OpheliaRose

OpheliaRose

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 10:51 PM

Good point, Whiterose. I'm also of the opinion that not all information about craftwork is good. I know a lot of people say that even reading wiccan books/blogs/etc can be useful but I think many things can be a waste of time or even downright harmful. I love reading but I don't have time time or the patience to sift through the BS of people arguing or trying to pick out the gold pieces from questionable info. I'm just thankful places like this exist.

#13 Stacey

Stacey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 12:19 AM

On another note, the internet is a great resource for information now, but I also wonder how much it actually hinders rather than helps the development of newer witches with all these forums and pages people can hangout on and bicker back and forth about different things. These places take a lot of energy and time especially for people that visit multiple places online everyday. I always wonder about these people and how much craft they actually practice rather than speak. 

I'm a victim of this on occasion, you sit all day perusing the internet reading, learning, absorbing and then come to a point where you realise all you've done is sit, read and absorb some one else's experience instead of creating your own.

"The mind is not a book, to be opened at will and examined at leisure. Thoughts are not etched on the inside of skulls, to be perused by an invader. The mind is a complex and many-layered thing." Severus Snape - HP and the Order of the Phoenix

#14 Orin

Orin

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 01:00 AM

It's hard to break that habit especially to a newb like myself. When i started all i did was read, read, read. I need these few books then i should be good to go, oh wait i need these tools then i should be able to get stuck in and all you do is build and build in preparation and end up doing NOTHING. I felt i was growing faster by doing because sometimes keeping your nose in different books by different authors can get really confusing because they all do things differently.

I love reading, and new books can be exciting. At the moment I'm kinda alternating. I have more book times than doings, then i get stuck in the craft and i spend more time outside and practicing different aspects in the way i feel works for me... i see that as growing time personally. Then I'll feel like picking up some new books or reading on sites again. It's always best to kick yourself up the arse so you don't get stuck in the reading rut. Best to mix it up imo. I'm only now starting to feel where my path is going even after a few years.. i really wanted to do ritual because it seemed so authentic at the time but after doing it i realized it's not for me and i learned this from actually practicing it rather than reading and fantasizing about it.

I also find when you go through " i need all these tools to start" thing, once you start discovering your craft, you probably don't need half the tools you bought because this book told you it's what you need. Only you know what you need. Luckily, i haven't gone and done that (I almost did) but i know it happens alot. I also think newbs don't realize they don't need to buy all the fancy stuff from new age shops or the right set of herbs and can mostly likely find what they need around them. They're nice but not necessary. I've most likely blathered some obvious rubbish, forgive me. It's 1am and I've forgotten what well rested feels like :P

walkingspider.gif

#15 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 12:47 PM

Some (lucky) people definitely have a natural talent for certain things. Practice is always good, though. Sometimes spells need some tweaking to get to perfection. Things don't always come to me right away in my experience, at least. Experimenting and practice has helped me a lot.

I think that sometimes natural abilities can be as much of a hindrance as a help. Usually someone with a "natural" talent and no training has no control of the talent in which case it can be useless to them, or worse. I think control of what one is doing is very important, and sometimes people with "natural talents" feel like they've already got things down pat so don't need to actually learn how to work with it, cultivate it, or control it.

Most women have the "natural ability" to conceive and push out a baby, but to me that doesn't make them a mother, and it certainly doesn't make them a good mother. That takes a LOT more time and dedication than the natural ability to push out a kid in 15 minutes to consider one's self a "real mother", lol.

M

Edited by Michele, 06 December 2013 - 12:50 PM.

#16 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 04:28 PM

I think that sometimes natural abilities can be as much of a hindrance as a help. Usually someone with a "natural" talent and no training has no control of the talent in which case it can be useless to them, or worse.

M

​This rings truth to me as far as " hindrance as a help ".... in my opinion that unbeknownst to the Practitioner, that personal ego had possibly came into play, filtering into the initial magical working that the Practitioner could not of seen coming even if they had 8 eyes like a Spider and could turn their head around like an Owl.   :smile:

Regards,

Gypsy

Edited by CelticGypsy, 06 December 2013 - 04:28 PM.

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#17 OpheliaRose

OpheliaRose

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 05:22 PM

I think that sometimes natural abilities can be as much of a hindrance as a help. Usually someone with a "natural" talent and no training has no control of the talent in which case it can be useless to them, or worse. I think control of what one is doing is very important, and sometimes people with "natural talents" feel like they've already got things down pat so don't need to actually learn how to work with it, cultivate it, or control it.

M

Excellent point! I never thought of it from that perspective, thanks!

#18 aurora

aurora

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 07:24 PM

Bump

#19 Horne

Horne

Wyrdling

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 08:03 PM

I do believe practice is what finetunes existing natural abilities. Only practicing will be able to turn a talent into a living habit.

Edit: As I see it, without practice a talent will remain a potential more than being an actuality.

Edited by Horne, 28 September 2014 - 08:08 PM.

“Awake becomes
what once was known,

forgetfulness is fleeting.”

#20 hawkwind

hawkwind

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 10:02 PM

All of your points are spot on I think! Practicing the Craft is exactly that,the practice is what makes a person better. But never claim to know it all because no witch knows it all there is always more to learn and the learning is a life long commitment. And yes all talk and no action=errogance, ignorance, and a wast of your time and other people's time. p.s. I think when you are starting out learn to listen to your own intuition about thing lots of times that can be your most important asset.