Photo
- - - - -

Herbs for depression and to aid in memory

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
48 replies to this topic

#41 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 05:56 PM

Sorry guys, sorry Mountain Witch.  I occasionally get hot when I feel misinformation is being spread.

This is sort of my 'thing,' I don't really feel my perspective is myopic.  It's dangerous to be a consumer of popular science, so I was trying to disseminate knowledge and give hope to the OP.  

In my experience and that of several other witches I've spoken to on here, the problem with some anti-D's is that they can numb your emotions, and if you use them to cast, that is definitely a problem.  It's also a huge problem to get medded up and not seek help with a therapist, psych, clergy, etc.  As a good friend put it, "I can't get MAD."  That is my experience, as well.

But, if you are so depressed, it's hard to get anything done, anyway.  If you don't feel like you're worth anything, how do you have the authority to cast?  I've been through that, so many times, and it's still an issue to be worked through.

Anecdotal evidence from my own life and craft, but as always, YMMV.

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning."  - Cormac McCarthy

#42 Lynn

Lynn

I've been InBetween

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 08:19 PM

Sorry guys, sorry Mountain Witch.  I occasionally get hot when I feel misinformation is being spread.

This is sort of my 'thing,' I don't really feel my perspective is myopic.  It's dangerous to be a consumer of popular science, so I was trying to disseminate knowledge and give hope to the OP.  

In my experience and that of several other witches I've spoken to on here, the problem with some anti-D's is that they can numb your emotions, and if you use them to cast, that is definitely a problem.  It's also a huge problem to get medded up and not seek help with a therapist, psych, clergy, etc.  As a good friend put it, "I can't get MAD."  That is my experience, as well.

But, if you are so depressed, it's hard to get anything done, anyway.  If you don't feel like you're worth anything, how do you have the authority to cast?  I've been through that, so many times, and it's still an issue to be worked through.

Anecdotal evidence from my own life and craft, but as always, YMMV.

I didn't realize how much the intensity of my emotions was dulled until I stopped taking the medication(with the Dr's knowledge and working with me), and (after the weaning away period)it began to completely leave my system (More parentheses just cause I like 'em). It was interesting to say the least!! Eeeks, in a word. ;)  Eeeks for months.

Okay so anyway more importantly, what the heck does YMMV stand for??

PS Hi :)

'When in danger, when in doubt, Run in circles, scream and shout" Robert Heinlein.
"Women and cats will do as they please, men and dogs need to relax and get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein

"In Wildness is the preservation of the World." Henry David Thoreau

#43 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 08:20 PM

Your Milage May Vary.

'Ello, Lady Lynn!

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning."  - Cormac McCarthy

#44 Lynn

Lynn

I've been InBetween

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 08:22 PM

Your Milage May Vary.

'Ello, Lady Lynn!

OH!

Okay doke. 

Thank yeewww.

'When in danger, when in doubt, Run in circles, scream and shout" Robert Heinlein.
"Women and cats will do as they please, men and dogs need to relax and get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein

"In Wildness is the preservation of the World." Henry David Thoreau

#45 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 01:56 PM

Great Link M. Witch, thank you. :)

Regards,

Gypsy

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#46 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 09:40 PM

Just thought about something:  GABA(the main inhibitory neurotransmitter in the brain, the chemical that keeps you calm) is synthesized from Glutamate, which reaction is dependant on the presence of Lysine.

Many people have anxiety as a co-morbidity with depression, and some find benzos to be helpful, but it's a FAR better idea to address that issue with anything but benzos, as they're so addictive.

You could buy Lysine and L-Glutamine supplements, along with wild lettuce tincture and california poppy, to boost GABA production and to aid with anxiety, if that is an issue you have.

Reference:

Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004 Jun 1;101(22):8285-8.

Lysine fortification reduces anxiety and lessens stress in family members in economically weak communities in Northwest Syria.

Smriga M, Ghosh S, Mouneimne Y, Pellett PL, Scrimshaw NS.

Institute of Life Sciences, Ajinomoto Co., Inc., 210-8681 Kawasaki, Japan.

"Lysine is a limiting amino acid in diets based on wheat as the staple. In experimental animals, prolonged dietary lysine inadequacy increases stress-induced anxiety. If observed in humans, such a result would have a strong implication for the relationship between nutrition and communal quality of life and mental health. As part of a 3-month randomized double-blind study, we tested whether lysine fortification of wheat reduces anxiety and stress response in family members in poor Syrian communities consuming wheat as a staple food. In the lysine-fortified group, the plasma cortisol response to the blood drawing as a cause of stress was reduced in females, as was sympathetic arousal in males as measured by skin conductance. Lysine fortification also significantly reduced chronic anxiety as measured by the trait anxiety inventory in males. These results suggest that some stress responses in economically weak populations consuming cereal-based diets can be improved with lysine fortification."

PMID: 15159538 [PubMed - in process]

Edited by Aurelian, 13 December 2013 - 09:41 PM.

#47 Chloe

Chloe

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 06:34 PM

I meant to reply to this awhile ago and completely forgot...

Going with the whole amino acid theme, there is also SAM-e. It's a mood stabilizer and according to WebMD is used for depression and anxiety. I don't personally use it, although I really should because I have horrible anxiety.

It is also really good for helping to protect and "rebuild" the liver. I give it to my dog with milk thistle during the weeks he gets his flea & tick meds & his heartworm meds. It's also good for arthritis and joint pain. So, those are good things to keep in mind also. (For yourself and any dogs you may have lol) :)

#48 Wyrd

Wyrd

Sub Rosa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 03:13 PM

I found this in my herb collection;

Passionflower (Passiflora incarnata) was used traditionally in the Americas and later in Europe as a calming herb for anxiety, insomnia, seizures, and hysteria. It is still used today to treat anxiety and insomnia.

Plant Description
Native to southeastern parts of the Americas, passionflower is now grown throughout Europe. It is a perennial climbing vine with herbaceous shoots and a sturdy woody stem that grows to a length of nearly 10 meters (about 32 feet). Each flower has 5 white petals and 5 sepals that vary in color from magenta to blue. According to folklore, passionflower got its name because its corona resembles the crown of thorns worn by Jesus during the crucifixion. The passionflower's ripe fruit is an egg-shaped berry that may be yellow or purple. Some kinds of passionfruit are edible.

Passion flower herb is a gentle sedative and tranquilizer. It relaxes twitching and muscle tension without impacting respiratory rate or psychological function the way many pharmaceutical sedatives do, thus making it a powerful herbal treatment. Its balancing healing powers come from the plant’s alkaloids and bioflavonoids, unique compounds that interact positively with the body’s own methods to replace mental and physical wellness and equilibrium. Due to this there are six benefits of passion flower that are listed below. Harvesting and making use of the whole aboveground portion of the plant – stalk, leaf, and bloom – provides relief for those in need.

1) Helps With Sleeping
Arguably the most common medicinal usage of passionflower tea or extracts would be to help alleviate insomnia, which is the persistent inability to fall asleep or remain asleep through the evening. More particularly, recent researchers have concluded that their findings imply low dose usage of passionflower tea yields short term subjective sleep benefits for adults with sleep issues.

2) Eases Pain
Due to the antispasmodic and sedative effects, physical pain is also relieved by passion flower in a myriad of ways. Try it for premenstrual cramps or to lessen headache pain. It could also alleviate muscle discomfort and toothaches. The popular book, “The Encyclopedia of Medicinal Plants” suggests passionflower notably for pain which causes difficulty falling asleep.

3) Helps With Stress and Anxiety
Passionflower is also generally used to fight nervousness, anxiety, and pressure. Furthermore, unlike the commonly prescribed drug oxazepam, passionflower doesn’t cause drowsiness or deterioration of work performance the next day. Investigators have concluded that passionflower is powerful for the direction of generalized anxiety disorder, but large scale trials are required before specific recommendations can be made.

4) Anti Depressant and Menopause Relief
Individuals in one study had passion flower supplements everyday for 6 months. Significant symptom development occurred by the 3rd week. Investigators concluded that passion flower might provide advantages for menopause in women who either cannot or decide not to utilize any sort of hormone replacement. The herb has also been shown to help boost the anti-depressant effects of St. John’s Wort.

5) Drug Withdrawal
Passionflower further helps fight withdrawal symptoms from opiate medications like morphine. Furthermore, when passionflower was joined with drugs that control psychological withdrawal symptoms – - including stress and irritability – - the effects were better in comparison to the drug alone. The investigators concluded that passion flower extract might be successful within the direction of opiate withdrawal, although larger studies must be conducted to affirm their results.

6) Helps to Lower Blood Pressure
In one study passion flower extract elevated degrees of an anti-oxidant enzyme and reduced degrees of oxidized lipids — lipids broken from accumulated toxins and waste material. Investigators in that study administered doses of 8 milligrams daily for 5 days. The results of this show that taking the herb may help to lower high blood pressure.

Passion Flower Side Effects and Cautions
When used in moderation passionflower is normally regarded as non-toxic. Many herbalists prescribe three to four cups per day with no issues reported. As excessive sleepiness is reported, if you’re already taking a prescription drug for stress or depression don’t take passionflower.

Bleeding
Passion flower extract can inhibit your body’s clotting elements. Though this is sometimes advantageous to somebody with blood prone to forming blood clots, it’s harmful to somebody with normal clotting and may bring about hemorrhaging.

Drowsiness
Drowsiness is actually a standard complication of passion flower extract, based on “Prescription for Natural Cures.” Lots of people experience excessive drowsiness and sluggishness for many hours after taking this herb, although some individuals use passion flower extract specifically to take care of their sleeplessness. This side-effect could be mitigated by using passion flower extract at a lowered dosage with a tiny bit of food before you go to sleep.

Lastly, it should be stated that passionflower’s close relative, the blue passionflower, shouldn’t be used, because it doesn’t have exactly the same functions as passfionflower itself.

Available forms include the following:
Infusions
Teas
Liquid extracts
Tinctures

How to Take It

Pediatric
No studies have examined the effects of passionflower in children, so do not give passionflower to a child without a doctor's supervision. Adjust the recommended adult dose to account for the child's weight.

Adult
The following are examples of forms and doses used for adults. Speak to your doctor for specific recommendations for your condition:
Tea: Steep 0.5 - 2 g (about 1 tsp.) of dried herb in 1 cup boiling water for 10 minutes; strain and cool. For anxiety, drink 3 - 4 cups per day. For insomnia, drink one cup an hour before going to bed.
Fluid extract: (1:1 in 25% alcohol): 10 - 20 drops, 3 times a day.
Tincture: (1:5 in 45% alcohol): 10 - 45 drops, 3 times a day.

Passionflower may interact with the following medications:

Sedatives (drugs that cause sleepiness) -- Because of its calming effect, passionflower may make the effects of sedative medications stronger. These medications include:
Anticonvulsants such as phenytoin (Dilantin)
Barbiturates
Benzodiazepines such as alprazolam (Xanax) and diazepam (Valium)
Drugs for insomnia, such as zolpidem (Ambien), zaleplon (Sonata), eszopiclone (Lunesta), ramelteon (Rozerem)
Tricyclic antidepressants, such as amitriptyline (Elavil), amoxapine, doxepin (Sinequan), and nortriptyline (Pamelor)

Antiplatelets and anticoagulants (blood thinners) -- Passionflower may increase the amount of time blood needs to clot, so it could make the effects of blood thinning medications stronger and increase your risk of bleeding. Blood thinning drugs include:
Clopidogrel (Plavix)
Warfarin (Coumadin)
Aspirin

Monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAO inhibitors or MAOIs) -- MAO inhibitors are an older class of antidepressants that are not often prescribed now. Theoretically, passionflower might increase the effects of MAO inhibitors, as well as their side effects, which can be dangerous. These drugs include:
Isocarboxazid (Marplan)
Phenelzine (Nardil)
Tranylcypromine (Parnate)

:)

Wyrd
The mind is like a parachute, it only works when It's open

#49 Wyrd

Wyrd

Sub Rosa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 03:19 PM

I have a concoction from the same source as the Asthma remedy that I previously posted, and will post as soon as I can find it!

I'm in great need of some cataloging software.

:)

Wyrd
The mind is like a parachute, it only works when It's open