goofer dust

Sarafina

Sorry I am kind of on a roll here with all this information I am getting, lol.

I did a search on Goofer dust and did not really find what i wanted to know and that is what would one use goofer dust for? I looked on a site called The Magickal Cat. I did a google search on it and found a guy's who does voodoo talk about it.

On Magickal Cat they say: Traditionally, it is thrown or sprinkled within the path they walk, upon their property or yard, or otherwise used in a similar fashion to curse your enemy and send them into a whirl of confusion and bad luck.

I am posting the like for the voodoo guys page because there is a lot he says, but basically he says it is used when one merits death.

So has anyone used it? Is it used for death or caused death? Can it be used and not cause death?

I did buy some, because I was going off of what the Magickal Cat's site said it was for. I don't plan on using it, but would like to have it, if one day there is a call for it, but I don't want to use it if it causes death.

Are you practicing a Hoodoo path?  Have you researched the lore and symbolism of the Hoodoo or related paths? 

If you search the forums, there are a couple of public threads that mention goofer dust, but the ones written by the serious practitioners are not available to the public with good reason. 

I am not quite sure why you bought it, not really knowing what it is or what it does, but that is your business.  

Whether I have or have not is very personal . . . . others can respond as they choose.

Besides . . . I would be a total idiot if I started going on about death or causing death in a public area.

I don't use Goofer Dust in my path. I do use something that I suppose is similar in a way I guess. I make it myself with herbs I have grown or purchased from somewhere I trust (like Mountain Rose) and other ingredients that are personally or purposefully obtained. I just couldn't buy prepackaged Magic like that. Seems icky.

Totally understand. I am looking at all different paths, just seeing what fits with me and what don't and what interests me as well. I totally get not wanting to say too much. Honestly I want to change the luck of someone, who does not know who to but out of things. When I ordered it I was only going by what the site had said. It was not until I looked it up on google and found that guys site that I learned more. I don't plan on using it know that I believe I know the real use of it.

I did search the forums here and nothing really said much other then some knew how to make it or were going to make some.

If anyone wants to privately message, that would be fine. I really, really do not want to use it if it is for death. Next time I will do more research before buying something.

. . .  I just couldn't buy prepackaged Magic like that. Seems icky.

Icky?  Good word choice.  I mean, if you are going to use something that potentially powerful and harmful, you sure as shit better know exactly what is in it and where it came from.  Some guy on the Internet does not satisfy that requirement for me.  On the other hand, people buy things online all the time.

I use Mountain rose almost exclusively for most herbs I don't grow myself. Some really rare and bizarre stuff I have my own connections if I need it. I just usually hate online shopping I like to see and hold what i'm buying, Now if I know I want something and can get it cheap online obviously no problem. but i'm talking a lamp or something at best, not my magic, that is simply too personal.

I don't use goofer dust in my trad. I don't know enough about it, and I haven't been drawn to researching/using it.

If it's something that has drawn you to it though, I suggest more research than what one guy said and a Google search. Not just on goofer dust, but on the traditions it is used within.

This isn't a teaching forum so questions such as "what do I use this for" probably aren't going to give you the answers you're looking for. But you have several ways to do a search: on goofer dust, and also on the traditions which use it ( which will no doubt be mentioned somewhere in your initial searches). Research isn't a one-click thing and one search will often give information that requires more searches for those things. If you're looking to discover your path though, it should all feel worth it! If not, then maybe you already have your answer about if it's part of your path or not.

Icky?  Good word choice.  I mean, if you are going to use something that potentially powerful and harmful, you sure as shit better know exactly what is in it and where it came from.  Some guy on the Internet does not satisfy that requirement for me.  On the other hand, people buy things online all the time.

So true.

Powerful stuff. I don't have any details fit for public consumption to give. Agreed that buying prepackaged magic is "icky." Especially something that can be so volatile. 

i personally don't do it or want anything to do with it, it's not my path, but i just looked it up to be aware of it, and this is the link i found. 

http://thedemoniacal.blogspot.ca/2011/02/goofer-dust.html

i'm not touching the stuff. but i'm posting it for anyone who wants information on it and to be aware of what it is. it's up to the practitioner if they decide to use it. 

This isn't something I use, although I seem to have most of the ingredients on hand... There are other ways to do the same thing. 

This isn't something I use, although I seem to have most of the ingredients on hand... There are other ways to do the same thing. 

I am just grateful that the good majority of the people reading that list of "ingredients" will not have the power or knowledge to actually turn them into anything useful; let alone dangerous. 

I am just grateful that the good majority of the people reading that list of "ingredients" will not have the power or knowledge to actually turn them into anything useful; let alone dangerous. 

agreed.  I would also think that you would have to have some sort of hoodoo back ground to make that work....otherwise its just stuff in a pot.

agreed.  I would also think that you would have to have some sort of hoodoo back ground to make that work....otherwise its just stuff in a pot.

I confess I am not the most well versed in the Hoodoo world, However I do not think one would necessarily need a background in Hoodoo to make such a spell work. As long as the Caster had the ability and the know how to infuse those ingredients with their magic and intent, and awaken the malicious properties held inside said ingredients to affect change, I can see no reason why it wouldn't work. 

I do question why someone not on the Hoodoo path specifically though would use such an item. I myself use something "similar" to Goofer dust, and mine even shares some ingredients traditionally found in Goofer dust recipes I have seen floating around. Since I do not practice Hoodoo though I would not go about preparing it as someone on that path would.(Nor do I know how they would prepare it) Nor would I probably use it exactly as that tradition states. WR, I do agree that someone trying to use Goofer dust or any paths traditions without understanding what and why you are doing things will probably yield little to no results. I mean how can you make something work when you don't know what it is your doing, or why your doing it?

. . . WR, I do agree that someone trying to use Goofer dust or any paths traditions without understanding what and why you are doing things will probably yield little to no results. I mean how can you make something work when you don't know what it is your doing, or why your doing it?

Many different types and methods of preparation, yes.  But, a person does not accidently or suddenly develop the knowledge or magical ability to invoke and/or muster up that much power -- the power to truly harm or kill someone.  People, who have that kind of power, know they have it.  I would hope, as you implied, Davenport, that they would also have respect for that power. 

This thread talks about having respect for other's Paths . . . http://www.traditionalwitch.net/forums/topic/9476-my-rant-about-totems/?hl=totems

That type of respect is mostly what I was referring to in my comment.

Many different types and methods of preparation, yes.  But, a person does not accidently or suddenly develop the knowledge or magical ability to invoke and/or muster up that much power -- the power to truly harm or kill someone.  People, who have that kind of power, know they have it.  I would hope, as you implied, Davenport, that they would also have respect for that power. 

This thread talks about having respect for other's Paths . . . http://www.traditionalwitch.net/forums/topic/9476-my-rant-about-totems/?hl=totems

That type of respect is mostly what I was referring to in my comment.

Agree Agree Agree

I have watched this thread with mild curiosity and slight annoyance. Given that I do have a hoodoo background I find it slightly irritating when people are talking about how they would never use it because it's so "bad" blah blah blah. What is this a white lighter board?

I get that not everyone is seeking to harm or kill someone else but goddamn get off your pious soapboxes for a minute.

Jevne and davenport are correct unless you have training or knowledge on how to awaken the ingredients for the intent all you really got is shit in a pot.

Have I used it...yes but not to kill. I have discussed this but in private.

I have watched this thread with mild curiosity and slight annoyance. Given that I do have a hoodoo background I find it slightly irritating when people are talking about how they would never use it because it's so "bad" blah blah blah. What is this a white lighter board?

I get that not everyone is seeking to harm or kill someone else but goddamn get off your pious soapboxes for a minute.

Jevne and davenport are correct unless you have training or knowledge on how to awaken the ingredients for the intent all you really got is shit in a pot.

Have I used it...yes but not to kill. I have discussed this but in private.

I  :loving:  you, RF. *kisses*

i personally don't do it or want anything to do with it, it's not my path, but i just looked it up to be aware of it, and this is the link i found. 

http://thedemoniacal.blogspot.ca/2011/02/goofer-dust.html

i'm not touching the stuff. but i'm posting it for anyone who wants information on it and to be aware of what it is. it's up to the practitioner if they decide to use it.

Having looked at the article on this site, I think they took most of it from the luckymojo site that I posted a link to in my above post. I have some problems with the black and white concept of goofer dust that the person proclaims at the end, ie. nothing good comes from it's use.

When I look through books on hoodoo, I look for the Goofer Dust section first. If the author prefaces their section of Goofer Dust with, "I shouldn't be telling you about this stuff and I hope you never ever use it or think about using it but here's a recipe anyway..." I know that book is probably not what I'm looking for. :-)

Thing about goofer dust, and all powders used in conjure, is that they should be mixed per need.  The quantities really change what effect they have.  Also, it takes a lot more than just mixing the ingredients up.

Don't buy goofer dust online.  So much of it is worthless.  Save your money and mix it yourself if needed.

Archived